Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool 2-2 Sunderland: In Game and Post Game Discussion

Read 31972 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Sunderland: In Game and Post Game Discussion
      Reply #713: Feb 06, 2016 06:40:21 pm
      For the 8 millionth time Klopp was not available pre season he was still on his sabbatical.

He surely must wish he was still on it.

Like, "F**k me, what have I taken on"!
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #714: Feb 06, 2016 06:42:26 pm
      From what I saw there is no doubt that the players KNEW what was going on and I genuinely believe it distracted them. Before 77 minutes we were really comfortable - I would have bet on us getting a third in fact. It was so so comfortable at 2-0 and completely deserved on the performance up until that point. Then from around the time the fans started to walk out we started to let the ball bounce, gave away stupid free kicks, passing all over the place, disjointed movement - jittery as hell. 110% sure that the walkout caused this. I think your brothers did a wise thing. I think supporters groups have to think carefully about how and when we conduct protests in the future. If it's going to impact upon the team's performance then don't bother. No way would I seek to compromise the performance of the players. It's rule number 1 as a fan - don't do anything that will undermine the performance of the team.

At the end of the day, people are going to blame Mignolet, Sakho etc for the dropped points. But as I believe the supporters are as much a part of the performance, we have to take complicity in the dropped points as well. It's simple as that really.

I'd agree if we hadn't already seen these players throw away leads and things like that so many times this season. Because we have, I'm inclined to believe that our leaving had very little to do with it.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #715: Feb 06, 2016 06:45:45 pm
      Utter bollocks. You are just absolving the players of the fact they crumbled ( as they always do, even without any fans walking out)  Really crass , if i'm being honest.

No not crass, some of us have a different point of view with regards protesting. We are supporters, or so I thought, we need to back the team no matter what. Walking out part way through a match, no matter how justified we think it may be, is not what I signed up to some 50 years ago, when I started supporting this team! I was a season ticket holder for many years, before family came along and priorities changed, I have NEVER, left a match before the end, never will. That is my opinion, my stance, it is not crass, it's called support. So much for YNWA, or does it only apply when the team is doing well!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #716: Feb 06, 2016 06:53:56 pm
      Henderson is playing, but he's clearly carrying a knock. Ings had been our best player prior to his injury, Origi was finding form and looking better than Benteke, etc.

Yeah, the point of a squad is to cover for injuries. What we've had to deal with this season is far greater than the norm though. I can't remember ever having so many players out injured.

I'd be interested in knowing what team has overcome that many injuries to actually go on and win a league or compete for the league.

The point is mate that we aren't going on to win a league we aren't even competing for the league we are sat in mid table unable to beat rubbing rag sides that probably cost less than two of our players. Yet our season would have been saved if Origi and Ings had stayed fit :)

We need to start accepting that there is something amiss. There is a reason we are were we are and it has more to do with our best quality players leaving and being replaced by average players than any injury crisis.

We have lost Carra , Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling due to money or age over the last few years and not replaced them with anything like the same quality, yet we are surprised that our standards slip.

Or to put it another way, were where we in the league before we had our injury crisis.... 9th?

Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #717: Feb 06, 2016 06:56:03 pm
      100% behind the fans that walked out. The football result is irrelevant compared to the long term effect of killing our support.

But then again, we are a bit sh*t. This team really needs rebuilding from the ground up and I can name  3 or 4 that I would want to keep and everyone else can do one.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,242 posts | 850 
      Reply #718: Feb 06, 2016 06:59:40 pm
      The point is mate that we aren't going on to win a league we aren't even competing for the league we are sat in mid table unable to beat rubbing rag sides that probably cost less than two of our players. Yet our season would have been saved if Origi and Ings had stayed fit :)

We need to start accepting that there is something amiss. There is a reason we are were we are and it has more to do with our best quality players leaving and being replaced by average players than any injury crisis.

We have lost Carra , Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling due to money or age over the last few years and not replaced them with anything like the same quality, yet we are surprised that our standards slip.

Or to put it another way, were where we in the league before we had our injury crisis.... 9th?

Exactly

our team is average, and an average team gives you average results.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #719: Feb 06, 2016 07:01:47 pm
      Jurgens has got a hell of a lot of turds to polish,my word 2-0 up against F***ing Sunderland and blow it 👎Dear oh dear
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #720: Feb 06, 2016 07:04:41 pm
      Does look like the fans leaving had some effect, too much of a coincidence that we turned to sh*te around same time - maybe it spurred Sunderland / distracted us. Personally I support the fans protest - and REGARDLESS, 2-0 up, no excuses for the players to let a 2 nil lead slip, at home, to a limited relegation side. None. On the pitch right now we're close to being as poor as we've been for years. But it's definitely still a 'honeymoon phase' for Jürgen as he hasn't even had a transfer window. But have to say, all things considered, that I never expected us to be this poor at this stage of the season, EVEN with the players that we have.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Sunderland
      Reply #721: Feb 06, 2016 07:18:25 pm
      I can't say I've got much faith in him either, if I'm honest, but then again, keepers make mistakes - always have, always will.  My feeling is he gets the flak for every goal we concede when 99% of goals against are the result of compound errors by the team.  We concede stupid chances at times. 

I hate the abuse the guy gets for one very simple reason - we need a confident goalie.  Confident goalies play better.  Confident goalies make saves.  Nobody, NOBODY, plays better with thousands of people abusing them, whether its five yards away behind your goal, in the street or on social media.

I disagree. I thought it was just a confidence issue, we all did. But with him, his mistakes don't just happen when he's low on confidence. He makes mistakes because it's in his nature. Before the game today, he had a good run of games, especially after he saved our asses on the shootout against Stoke. People gave him credits (me included), I don't see anyone abusing him during that period. Then he came out and gave a performance like that.
      Bottom line is, to challenge for top 4, we need a consistent, mentally strong keeper. He's nowhere near that.

Mignolet, he concedes when he wants.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #722: Feb 06, 2016 07:24:26 pm
      It's Sky's pick for their Saturday Night match, so the full highlights

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #723: Feb 06, 2016 07:25:18 pm
      Another big problem is our team is full of water carriers.

Every team needs one - its just that we have three playing at one time. Lucas, Milner and Henderson.

We only need one playing at a time. No wonder we aren't creative - we refuse to buy creative players, and we've yet to buy a truly top quality holding midfielder since Mascherano left.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #724: Feb 06, 2016 07:31:30 pm

You forgot Reina on that list. How many times now this season have we taken the lead only to throw it away because our goalkeeper isn't fit for purpose? What makes it even worse is we are now officially rewarding failure by handing him a new contract, something FSG were supposed to be against. For all the faults of our defenders, if we can't rely on the last line of defence  then we truly are stuffed.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,441 posts | 8656 
      Reply #725: Feb 06, 2016 08:00:54 pm
      Think the Leicester game and prices announcement midweek and not just Jürgen MIA added to the subdued atmosphere today, usual huff n puff display, 2 ok goals before joining in the walkout protest and doing one in the 77th minute. Wasn't surprised to hear it was 2-2 when got back to the car. Apart from Firmino there wasn't that much to get excited about.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #726: Feb 06, 2016 08:03:15 pm
      Little bit more expensive tickets and we would have won. Some good attacks, good defending but for cheap ticket prices we couldnt hold on. Just not competitive enough because of lower matchday income than London clubs.
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #727: Feb 06, 2016 08:09:36 pm
      Pathetic result, the most one sided game for many seasons at Anfield, and we draw against a terrible terrible Sunderland side, we have had many poor performances and results of late with lacklustre displays with no fight or passion, today is the opposite, and we still can't win, embarrassing to say the least.

Mignolet must go down as one of our worst ever first choice keepers, costs us 15 or so points a season, terrible distribution too and communication with his defence is non existent, please get rid Jürgen.

Henderson must go down as our most uninspiring captain in our history, he shouldn't even be on the pitch, offers nothing, and he'll probably start for England at the Euro's ahead of talented young players like Alli and Barkley.

Fed up with the lack of creativity and invention, and ultimately the poor performances week after week, Same players are letting our club down.

Rant over!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #728: Feb 06, 2016 08:11:50 pm
      Little bit more expensive tickets and we would have won. Some good attacks, good defending but for cheap ticket prices we couldnt hold on. Just not competitive enough because of lower matchday income than London clubs.

Um...what?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #729: Feb 06, 2016 08:13:29 pm

WTF.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #730: Feb 06, 2016 08:17:34 pm
      So, apparently Mignolet has cost us 15 points already.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #731: Feb 06, 2016 08:18:25 pm

I'm just gonna put it down to a poorly worded attempt at sarcasm from someone whose English may be their 2nd language...

I hope.

How many points are we off top 4?
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #732: Feb 06, 2016 08:19:48 pm
      Two horrible goals to let in.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #733: Feb 06, 2016 08:27:43 pm
      We are now 10 points behind Arsenal. Could become 13, since they didn't play this round yet.

I mean, it's not like we're asking for a world class keeper or something, just one that wasn't such a liability like Mignolet is right now.

I know he is the responsible for us reaching Cup's Final, but, God, he is awfully inconsistent.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #734: Feb 06, 2016 08:28:07 pm

that doesn't surprise anyone what does surprise anyone is the fact he is still here
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #735: Feb 06, 2016 08:29:06 pm
      please read again you plank, he costs us 15 or so points a season, not 15 points already, prob at least 8 points so far this season

Quick Reply