Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      8 (12.3%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (6.2%)
      Kolo Toure
      13 (20%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      8 (12.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      8 (12.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (3.1%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1.5%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (10.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      8 (12.3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      3 (4.6%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: Feb 23, 2016 10:04:21 pm

FC Augsburg 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debate

Read 26356 times
      Kopite78
      Re: FC Augsburg 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debate
      Reply #368: Feb 19, 2016 07:30:44 am
      Snooze fest that.

We've made this one much harder now with 3 days before the League Cup Final.

Can't believe some are pointing to Augsburg's form as a way to talk up a bore-draw against a team who sit 14th in their table. 

F**k me, it's almost as embarrassing as Hodgson's 'formidable' Northampton quip!

Hyperbole much?

Not sure that a forth tier English club and a top flight German one can be used as a comparison to slip in a few digs, not quite the same level at all really.

We have got two games in the next ten days, I'm sure they will be fine, it's on their plates to perform in both.

It wasn't great, of course but it's not a bad result over a two leg European tie, no excuses we would have played better in an ideal world of course but it's arrogant of us to think we can go over there and smash them, they are having a poor season but had a good one last year, they would be massively up for that last night, playing Liverpool was massive for them and their fans.

Last night I think out of all the Europa league ties there were only three away wins all by the odd goal, Utd lost at a worse side, Spurs who are flying drew..

I'd love is to have, and played better, but there are two sides playing and they by their nature and will want to make it difficult for us to do so.. That's football. Had Sturrdige put the chance away early second half we win by the odd goal too
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #369: Feb 19, 2016 07:37:58 am
      Snooze fest that.

We've made this one much harder now with 3 days before the League Cup Final.

Can't believe some are pointing to Augsburg's form as a way to talk up a bore-draw against a team who sit 14th in their table. 

F**k me, it's almost as embarrassing as Hodgson's 'formidable' Northampton quip!

So what you're attempting to compare is:

Playing at Anfield against Northampton Town who were 17th in League Two

vs

Playing away against Augsberg who currently sit 14th in the Bundesliga.

Added to that you throw into the mix:

Embarrassing use of the word formidable from Hodgson

vs

Disputing the use of piss poor as a description of that performance.

You think those 'almost' equate to the same. You are not only a bad troll, a laughable stalker but also showing yourself to be pathetically desperate.

What you fail to grasp is Augsburg have been progressing brilliantly in the Bundesliga until this season:

Promoted in 2010/11
      14th 2011/12
      15th 2012/13
      8th 2013/14
      5th 2014/15

and are currently showing form that is much more in line with their 8th/5th place finishes than their lower league form, which was exactly the point I was making. It would be easy, as you have clearly demonstrated you have, to underestimate this opposition. Yet we had more possession, had more attempts on goal, had more attempts on target, had more corners and clearly came closest to scoring.

In times past this would be considered an extremely professional performance but no people want to label it piss poor but beyond that drag these stupid comparisons from absolutely nowhere to, well with you it's pretty obvious, drag any hint of optimism out of what Klopp is doing.

As I said above, pathetic.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #370: Feb 19, 2016 07:42:01 am
      Hyperbole much?

Not sure that a forth tier English club and a top flight German one can be used as a comparison to slip in a few digs, not quite the same level at all really.

We have got two games in the next ten days, I'm sure they will be fine, it's on their plates to perform in both.

When was the last time we played well at home ?

If a team wants to shut up shop against us ... the odds are they probably will.

Away at least we have had some outstanding performances intermingled with the crap, but at home the best(only one) I can think of is Leicester back in December and tbh we weren't great even then.

Not over by a long way in my opinion.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #371: Feb 19, 2016 07:46:33 am
      So what you're attempting to compare is:

Playing at Anfield against Northampton Town who were 17th in League Two

vs

Playing away against Augsberg who currently sit 14th in the Bundesliga.

Added to that you throw into the mix:

Embarrassing use of the word formidable from Hodgson

vs

Disputing the use of piss poor as a description of that performance.

You think those 'almost' equate to the same. You are not only a bad troll, a laughable stalker but also showing yourself to be pathetically desperate.

What you fail to grasp is Augsburg have been progressing brilliantly in the Bundesliga until this season:

Promoted in 2010/11
      14th 2011/12
      15th 2012/13
      8th 2013/14
      5th 2014/15

and are currently showing form that is much more in line with their 8th/5th place finishes than their lower league form, which was exactly the point I was making. It would be easy, as you have clearly demonstrated you have, to underestimate this opposition. Yet we had more possession, had more attempts on goal, had more attempts on target, had more corners and clearly came closest to scoring.

In times past this would be considered an extremely professional performance but no people want to label it piss poor but beyond that drag these stupid comparisons from absolutely nowhere to, well with you it's pretty obvious, drag any hint of optimism out of what Klopp is doing.

As I said above, pathetic.

Worldies hey?

Listen fella, you were the ultimate negative nanny on this site not long ago. Now, you're trying to clutch at anything to feel vindicated for your previous behaviour. It may happen in due time, but in the meantime stop trying so hard will you. It's embarrassing.

They were an average outfit who sit 14th in their league and playing in this competition for the first time, Barcelona they are not.
      Kopite78
      Reply #372: Feb 19, 2016 07:47:10 am
      When was the last time we played well at home ?

If a team wants to shut up shop against us ... the odds are they probably will.

Away at least we have had some outstanding performances intermingled with the crap, but at home the best(only one) I can think of is Leicester back in December and tbh we weren't great even then.

Not over by a long way in my opinion.

Of course it's not over, I said its in the players hands to perform in both

It's down to the manager to sort out that home form, I'll give him time to do so.

If the players are up for it mentally which is hope they are, and now we have players coming back to fitness I think that home form will begin to turn.

But as you rightly said teams come and sit deep and if we only win by the odd goal having knocked on the door and probed for the entire game as they sit deep then people need to accept that we can't win every game by 3, 4 or 5

Definitely

But neither are they Northampton

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #373: Feb 19, 2016 07:50:38 am
      Worldies hey?

Listen fella, you were the ultimate negative nanny on this site not long ago. Now, you're trying to clutch at anything to feel vindicated for your previous behaviour. It may happen in due time, but in the meantime stop trying so hard will you. It's embarrassing.

They were an average outfit who sit 14th in their league and playing in this competition for the first time, Barcelona they are not.

No, not worldies a team you're trying to compare with Northampton Town, that's embarrassing. As I said, that would normally be seen as a very professional performance, simple as that.

Credit where credit is due it's called.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #374: Feb 19, 2016 08:06:57 am
      Bloody hell why is everyone so down? A draw away from home is always a good result in Europe, we'll beat these guys easily at Anfield.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #375: Feb 19, 2016 08:07:33 am
      It's down to the manager to sort out that home form, I'll give him time to do so.

The problem is the second leg is our next match mate...we don't have a lot of time.

If the players are up for it mentally which is hope they are,

So the players haven't been up mentally for all our previous home games?

As I said mate, we didn't play well last night, it wasn't a good result and it has left us in a difficult position with the Cup final only 3 days later.

Or to put it another way, I don't know one person that would have taken a 0-0 draw before the game. 

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #376: Feb 19, 2016 08:13:13 am
      No, not worldies a team you're trying to compare with Northampton Town, that's embarrassing. As I said, that would normally be seen as a very professional performance, simple as that.

Credit where credit is due it's called.

No. Pulling up their form because of the amount of negative posts that result brought is desperate and typical of only you. Stop trying so hard, you look like a hypocritic and it's cringeworthy.

The result is was it is, a typical European game that was more akin to a game of chess. However, one we perhaps should have won. Bearing in mind we had our "best team" out and Sturridge, Firmino (who again for my money was average), and Coutinho. Against a side, struggling in the German game. It is was it is, yet, you will try and demonstrate anything in this moment in time to clutch at straws. Stop it, you don't need to try and vindicate anything, Klopp will do it for you.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #377: Feb 19, 2016 08:26:13 am
      Bloody hell why is everyone so down? A draw away from home is always a good result in Europe, we'll beat these guys easily at Anfield.

Agree 100%. However, to do that we might have to field a full-strength side again (although I don't know what is our full-strength midfield), and we play the Final 3 days later. Just the matter of fatigue!

I would start Origi and Lallana ahead of Studge and Firmino, and hope we get the goals!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #378: Feb 19, 2016 08:27:08 am
      No. Pulling up their form because of the amount of negative posts that result brought is desperate and typical of only you. Stop trying so hard, you look like a hypocritic and it's cringeworthy.

Nothing hypocritical about supporting a manager you believe in and wanting one you don't believe in to be replaced. Both are powered by the same motive, to get the very best for Liverpool Football Club. The sad fact is those that had so much invested in Brendan are desperate for some crumb to cling to and there really isn't any.

The result is was it is, a typical European game that was more akin to a game of chess. However, one we perhaps should have won. Bearing in mind we had our "best team" out and Sturridge, Firmino (who again for my money was average), and Coutinho. Against a side, struggling in the German game. It is was it is, yet, you will try and demonstrate anything in this moment in time to clutch at straws. Stop it, you don't need to try and vindicate anything, Klopp will do it for you.

A more realistic assessment at least, still you can't resist the hyperbole and over-emphasis to attempt to chip away at the positives. They're not struggling with the German game, their current form and recent years progress prove that, so that's quite simply false.

Oh I know Klopp will vindicate my view of him, I said as much before he was ever mentioned as a possible candidate for the job. I have the utmost faith in him, wont stop me defending him though, just as it never with Kenny or any other manager I believe are taking this club in the right direction. As I said, credit where it's due, but only when it's earned.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #379: Feb 19, 2016 08:29:12 am
      One of them games that if you'd not watched it you'd take the result but if you did watch you would feel disapointed. Sadly I sat through it all and it was a pretty depressing watch.

Still a job to do but i'm confident we can do it at Anfield under the lights.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #380: Feb 19, 2016 08:29:41 am
      Y
      Agree 100%. However, to do that we might have to field a full-strength side again (although I don't know what is our full-strength midfield), and we play the Final 3 days later. Just the matter of fatigue!

I would start Origi and Lallana ahead of Studge and Firmino, and hope we get the goals!

It's not ideal but we would have had the same situation even if we'd won 2 or 3 nil,there is no way our defence can close shop!
      Kopite78
      Reply #381: Feb 19, 2016 08:51:15 am
      The problem is the second leg is our next match mate...we don't have a lot of time.

So the players haven't been up mentally for all our previous home games?

As I said mate, we didn't play well last night, it wasn't a good result and it has left us in a difficult position with the Cup final only 3 days later.

Or to put it another way, I don't know one person that would have taken a 0-0 draw before the game.

We have a week, probably the longest clear run on the training field that the manager has had since he arrived, certainly since he has had his feet under the table anyway.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that they haven't been mentally right or up for it but there will certainly be an aspect of looking around the dressing room before matches and having a different feeling seeing Coutinho, Sturridge and Firmino all stripped and ready as opposed to them not being there.. All sides and players will have the same feelings if their most threatening players aren't there.

It wasn't a great performance no, but it wasn't a bad result, I'm sure we wanted to win, but we can't think of the cup final, I'm sure the players can raise themselves for a home European game and then a cup final within three days. It would be great to have won by 3 but football isn't that simple, that was a cup final for Ausburg.

Man City have Chelsea away, then an away trip to Kiev the midweek before the final too.

Would I have taken 0-0? Not before the game no, but it is what is.. I'd rather that than losing and it being even worse in the second leg.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #382: Feb 19, 2016 08:58:47 am
      Not a bad result away in Europe, at least we didn't lose like Utd.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #383: Feb 19, 2016 09:08:40 am
      The result wasn't the worst, but the performance was very so so.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #384: Feb 19, 2016 09:10:24 am
      We have a week, probably the longest clear run on the training field that the manager has had since he arrived, certainly since he has had his feet under the table anyway.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that they haven't been mentally right or up for it but there will certainly be an aspect of looking around the dressing room before matches and having a different feeling seeing Coutinho, Sturridge and Firmino all stripped and ready as opposed to them not being there.. All sides and players will have the same feelings if their most threatening players aren't there.

It wasn't a great performance no, but it wasn't a bad result, I'm sure we wanted to win, but we can't think of the cup final, I'm sure the players can raise themselves for a home European game and then a cup final within three days. It would be great to have won by 3 but football isn't that simple, that was a cup final for Ausburg.

Man City have Chelsea away, then an away trip to Kiev the midweek before the final too.

Would I have taken 0-0? Not before the game no, but it is what is.. I'd rather that than losing and it being even worse in the second leg.

No problem mate... I must just have higher standards than you :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #385: Feb 19, 2016 09:12:09 am
      The way I read Beerbellys point isn't that he's comparing the Northampton team to Augsburg, he's comparing the reaction to results against them. To my mind it's harsh to compare anybodies thoughts about pretty much anything to some of Hodgsons bitter and self promotional ramblings, but I can see where he's coming from.

Once again though I think it's time to ignore the whiff of hypocrisy and the way some fans are reacting differently to similar circumstances previously encountered. It really doesn't matter, and bigging up a manager you've got time for while you slaughtered one who you didn't has always happened.

Yes people are hypocrites, but it doesn't matter. I don't need to see Augsbergs recent results to convince me it ain't a bad result to draw there 0-0, to me it's obvious but it doesn't matter that they were posted up.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #386: Feb 19, 2016 09:20:03 am
      Nothing hypocritical about supporting a manager you believe in and wanting one you don't believe in to be replaced. Both are powered by the same motive, to get the very best for Liverpool Football Club. The sad fact is those that had so much invested in Brendan are desperate for some crumb to cling to and there really isn't any

Fair enough, there is nothing wrong with wanting a manager replaced when he ultimately failed to achieve - but that wasn't you was it. 

You wanted him replaced during our 'nearly' season IIRC, implying your flavour of that month Martinez as a better candidate. Basically, you wanted him replaced as soon as he got here, or as soon as he moved Reina on (so, in other words, he was never going to get your support). You practically revealed in defeats with endlessly snide negative remarks about the manager, and you used almost anything you could as a stick to beat him with. You even suddenly became a body language expert where Colin Pascoe was concerned; and the depths you went to, to be a miserable blunt went beyond the support of your club into the realms of massaging your own ego of self-importance in this little corner of the web.

And now, for the manager you've championed, your posts reveal a complete turnaround in mindset and it's utterly cringeworthy. You were one of the most negative posters on here, and now you are the eternal optimist, desperate to kid others that a team struggling in 14th position in the German league are a noteworthy European team, because we now have a manager you personally like.

You may not think that is hypocritcal but I do. Whether or not you personally "believe" in a manager isn't justification for having no consistency in which to judge them.

They're not struggling with the German game, their current form and recent years progress prove that, so that's quite simply false.

They're 14th in the Bundesliga. That's their bloody form, nothing else!

So please, refrain from these dishonest outbursts, they're making you look desperate.
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2016 09:39:45 am by Beerbelly »
      Kopite78
      Reply #387: Feb 19, 2016 09:21:42 am
      No problem mate... I must just have higher standards than you :)

:)

Mate I'm only discussing it, no attempt to say I'm right and you're not.

I'll be gutted if we don't finish the job next week, but European two legged ties are just that.. As I said for Ausburg that was like a cup final and they are 11 fit professionals wanting to put up a performance against the world renowned Liverpool and against Klopp who's reputation in Germany is about the highest a managers can be.

Klopp agrees though, he wasn't happy either.

Let's just win our next two games and we can all be happy ( or some may just about break a smile anyway... could be wind though like:D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #388: Feb 19, 2016 09:21:45 am
      The way I read Beerbellys point isn't that he's comparing the Northampton team to Augsburg, he's comparing the reaction to results against them. To my mind it's harsh to compare anybodies thoughts about pretty much anything to some of Hodgsons bitter and self promotional ramblings, but I can see where he's coming from.

Once again though I think it's time to ignore the whiff of hypocrisy and the way some fans are reacting differently to similar circumstances previously encountered. It really doesn't matter, and bigging up a manager you've got time for while you slaughtered one who you didn't has always happened.

Yes people are hypocrites, but it doesn't matter. I don't need to see Augsbergs recent results to convince me it ain't a bad result to draw there 0-0, to me it's obvious but it doesn't matter that they were posted up.

I suppose if you compare our results with theirs it's fair enough mate. We have won 1 out of 5... they have won 1 out of 5.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #389: Feb 19, 2016 09:23:03 am
      The way I read Beerbellys point isn't that he's comparing the Northampton team to Augsburg, he's comparing the reaction to results against them.

Thank you for making the point clearer.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #390: Feb 19, 2016 09:48:17 am
      Fair enough, there is nothing wrong with wanting a manager replaced when he ultimately failed to achieve - but that wasn't you was it.

Yes it was.

You wanted him replaced during our 'nearly' season IIRC, implying your flavour of that month Martinez as a better candidate. Basically, you wanted him replaced as soon as he got here, or as soon as he moved Reina on (so, in other words, he was never going to get your support). You practically revealed in defeats with endlessly snide negative remarks about the manager, and you used almost anything you could as a stick to beat him with. You even suddenly became a body language expert where Colin Pascoe was concerned; and the depths you went to, to be a miserable blunt went beyond the support of your club into the realms of massaging your on ego and self-importance in this little corner of the web.

Incorrect. I said at the time that I thought Martinez's men had more of an idea of what their tactics were than we did and that was one comment way back when and you've taken that to believe I wanted Martinez? This is what I mean by ridiculous statements based on nothing but fantasy.

Rodgers had more to proven than Klopp or Dalglish, so while all would get a level playing field the preconceived ideas about Klopp and Dalglish are formed on experience of watching them in action, whether through Kenny's many years here or following Dortmund as I have while Klopp was there, so in that respect they've earned the support before they've even been given the position. I would quite happily give Jürgen a 10 year contract right now based on what I already know about him, I would have given Kenny much longer too that doesn't mean that Brendan was dealt a rough hand.

What was different is that I knew very little of Brendan and therefore my beliefs and views on him evolved while he was here. As much as you tried to label honest criticism as agenda driven or the rest of your childish little comments, I was totally forthcoming with when I thought Brendan should be moved on and on reflection it would have served us much better if he had been.

And now, for the manager you've championed, your posts reveal a complete turnaround in mindset and it's utterly cringeworthy. You were one of the most negative posters on here, and now you are the eternal optimist, desperate to kid others that a team struggling in 14th position in the German league are a noteworthy European team, because we now have a manager you personally like.

Again with the hyperbole and bullshit. There's no kidding involved, they are absolute facts! The results were to put into context what I felt others possibly didn't know, for those who don't follow the German league I doubt many even knew the name Augsburg and certainly not their rise into the league and how well they've progressed. So I just checked why they'd been so poor this year and it became clear that their form had taken a serious turn around in recent weeks, again something I didn't know and felt others probably didn't either. It certainly appeared to me that this result and performance were and are being under-estimated.

You may not think that is hypocritcal but I do. Whether or not you personally "believe" in a manager isn't justification for having no consistency in which to judge them.

Of course it's not hypocritical, it's judging them both on the same standards, when Jürgen becomes a manager I no longer believe in I would want him to be replaced also. Comparing Brendan to Jürgen is one of the most pathetic arguments I've seen brought up and the motives behind those comparisons are abundantly clear.

Here's a good article to chew over while you think of your next comparison.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/comparing-brendan-rodgers-Jürgen-klopps-european-records/

While you stew it over I'll be content in the knowledge that we have the right man to move us forward away from the mistakes of the past.

Quick Reply