Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      12 (10.5%)
      Clyne
      2 (1.8%)
      Lucas
      81 (71.1%)
      Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Milner
      5 (4.4%)
      Henderson
      2 (1.8%)
      Can
      2 (1.8%)
      Coutinho
      6 (5.3%)
      Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Kolo
      3 (2.6%)
      Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Origi
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Feb 29, 2016 09:10:06 pm

League Cup Final Liverpool 1:1 Man City (ET) 1:3 after penalties.

Read 46049 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: League Cup Final Liverpool 1:1 Man City (ET) 1:3 after penalties.
      Reply #1058: Feb 29, 2016 08:29:00 am
      He looked fine yesterday, full of running.................

Hes getting injections and playing through the pain. The hope is that movement is helping it but he is way off his normal game.

Klopp said that every week he has been off he has been banging on the managers door asking when he will be back - inmarked contrast to sturridge. Thats attitude is why hes the first name on the teamsheet and Klopps captain.

Difficult to judge him till he is back to full fitness.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #1059: Feb 29, 2016 08:44:30 am
      We have to many average players without any quallity or limited:

- Mignolet - should never be out N1
      - Moreno - awful, brainless
      - Milner - bench
      - Can - bench
      - Hendo - bench

Lucas was MOM, Origi was good...We lack pace on the wings, midfield is without any creativity except Cou....
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #1060: Feb 29, 2016 08:47:41 am
      Tough loss to take, but i have to admit the better team won yesterday. We just didnt create enough chances to win that game.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1061: Feb 29, 2016 09:03:56 am
      In the cold light of day I thought we were a little disappointing. I was convinced we were about to win it on penalties, simply because just like when we won against AC Milan, West Ham, Birmingam and Cardiff, it looked like it was our day.

The truth is if we're honest that we had ridden if not a tidal wave of good fortune to draw the game it was certainly a pretty large ripple. Sterling missed two chances one of which was practically an open goal, they had to my mind an absolute cast iron penalty turned down, while on numerous other occasions a combo of Mignolet and pure luck kept us level. At the other end we had an Origi header to show for our endeavours, and to mymind were second best all through. Speaking to guys in the pub after (where we get a huge cross section of sensible fans from all teams) everyone I spoke to was to a lesser or greater extent of the same opinion.

There were positives, Lucas being the best player on either team chief amongst them. Clyde had another fine match and Coutinho had his moments, while Toure again did little wrong. Mignolet did well after his customary howler (which doesn't make up for it), while Milner was as usual our best midfielder, then also an infinitely better left back than the truly hapless Moreno.

Up top though we were toothless, with once again our top goalscorer (incredibly he still is) not getting any minutes. Firmino has obvious ability but bugger me he's annoying, like Luis Garcia without the good bits to keep you interested. I thought he was awful yesterday, while Sturridge looks to me only sufficiently fit to be able to play for an hour or so right now. We were physically dominated throughout the two hours of play up there, and even Origi when he came on transformed us somewhat, showing that variation is sometimes the spice of an attack.

All in all in a match which meant massively more to us than them (or at least it ought to have), I was left feeling a little flat. I wouldn't have given a f*** about the performance had we won on penalties (just like I didn't in those previous matches) but given we didn't, I may as well at least be honest about it. The much better team on the day won, simple as that.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #1062: Feb 29, 2016 09:10:11 am
      I am of course not happy with the loss.

[Rant On]
      To me Milner ran about a lot without delivering anything in the box (for Shitty he regularly used to cross the balls)
      Henderson is just not good enough - sorry. I would take Gerrard even now when he can't even run because he would give us something for free kicks, corners and penalties. I would have him stand next to Migs all game just to take free kicks, corners and penalties. As it is we are sh*te in midfield.
      Can is okay - no great.
      Mignolet needs to be moved on - sorry. Yes, he saved our bacon few times but that is his job. He is making too many howlers for a Liverpool goalkeeper.
      Moreno - useless as a left back. Perhaps, buy a leftback and keep him as a winger.

Having said all of the above, I don't think much will change next season. Kloppmeister needs to get rid of Henderson, Mignolet and Moreno but it won't happen. We may become competitive again in 2 years time but get ready for a bumpy ride next season or two.

[Rant over]
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #1063: Feb 29, 2016 09:14:52 am
      Echo the thoughts about not playing bad but not being effective in the final third.

It will always be like that when we have players who possess a lot of technical play but lack steel, physically and mentally.

It's also a shame that a lot of our players need more than one touch of the ball before they know what to do with it next.

Biggest summer ever coming up!
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #1064: Feb 29, 2016 09:25:51 am
      I missed to mention this that the referre was a c**t.

Yaya should have been sent off for holding Lallana's neck and left him off the ground. He was looking at the incident but just standing there like a clown.

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1065: Feb 29, 2016 10:30:54 am
      We after a disappointing League final, and a night of playing things over and over in my head I came to the conclusion that I was no more than I warned about in a pervious post…. We fielded the same team that performed so poorly in attack against Augsburg so when we created so few chances was the out come really in any doubt? 

There were very few options on the bench that could change a game and despite the in forced change of Sakho; I felt that we could; have and should have replaced Milner with Lallana, playing him on the right and kept Moreno on the Left and instead play Flanagan (Henderson) at LB

Sturridge’ for me looked labored and disinterested ….

I did say that Alarm bells should be ringing after the home tie with Augsburg and fielding the same team was a mistake, and fielding that team without a greater option on the bench was a grave mistake by Jürgen Klopp….. Benteke took space up on the bench that could have gone to another player… Is it not time that we drop him from the bench completely?

Gutted but the writing was on the wall when we put out the team sheet, only surprise was we defended very well
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1066: Feb 29, 2016 10:39:49 am
      We after a disappointing League final, and a night of playing things over and over in my head I came to the conclusion that I was no more than I warned about in a pervious post…. We fielded the same team that performed so poorly in attack against Augsburg so when we created so few chances was the out come really in any doubt? 

There were very few options on the bench that could change a game and despite the in forced change of Sakho; I felt that we could; have and should have replaced Milner with Lallana, playing him on the right and kept Moreno on the Left and instead play Flanagan (Henderson) at LB

Sturridge’ for me looked labored and disinterested ….

I did say that Alarm bells should be ringing after the home tie with Augsburg and fielding the same team was a mistake, and fielding that team without a greater option on the bench was a grave mistake by Jürgen Klopp….. Benteke took space up on the bench that could have gone to another player… Is it not time that we drop him from the bench completely?

Gutted but the writing was on the wall when we put out the team sheet, only surprise was we defended very well

Couldn't agree more, the way he sits there on @rse cheek offers absolutely nothing to the team whatsoever. His influence over the last few matches has been absolutely f***ing zero, sitting there doing absolutely nothing. Hasn't scored a goal in ages either, or even had a shot on target the useless c***. In stark contrast in fact to the rest of our team who are rattling the goals in left right and centre, making chances, winning headers, having shots and all that.

BTW when do we play Villa or Norwich again?

Anyway you're quite right, we should replace him on the bench. Lets face it you could replace him on the bench with anybody you want as he doesn't actually ever come off it. I vote we replace him with me, I couldn't get a ticket yesterday and I would have done just as good a job as that useless c*** sitting there. Failing that, Sporty Spice. She could dance around a bit.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #1067: Feb 29, 2016 10:40:02 am
      Thought it was a poor final all in all, only real chance we really seemed to create was the goal and City should have already been three up!

Deffo need some big changes in the summer as the squad isn't good enough and that midfield is definitely not strong enough and I'd start by binning the captain off, he's not good enough or a good enough captain.

Don't know who chose the penalty takers, but Milner should of been taking his pen first, especially after scoring his last couple of pens he's taken for us.

Mignolet as ever, made some decent saves, but still has that one big F**k-up clanger in him, we need someone better.

Lucas motm for me, shame about the pen.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1068: Feb 29, 2016 10:43:06 am
      The better team won and we were fortunate to even get to penalty shooutout.

We could hardly muster a proper shot at goal until Coutinho scored. Thought our secondary CB options did decently well against City's strikeforce. Our midfield and attack pretty much anonymous.

Game should have ended when Morena tripped Aguero or if Sterling had taken one of his two chances. Mignolet, once again disappointed to have conceded such a soft goal. Team has worked hard to get to the final, quickly undone by a soft goal conceded that slipped through our keeper.

Unfortunate for Klopp to not get his first trophy in just less than 6 months but the team definitely needs some rebuilding to remove the deadwood and strengthen every area of the pitch with a core player to run the show (remember Carra, Xabi, Masch, Gerrard and Torres were our backbones).

Hopefully the summer brings in many quality new faces. Team needs to step up if they want to go far in the Europa League or even qualify for next season's European competitions.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1069: Feb 29, 2016 10:45:10 am

Holy Sh*t, there again after He filled in at left back he was world class in comparison to the brainless one.
      After his performance Vs Augsburg and the first twenty mins on the field He should have been subbed...
      How is it Milner and Henderson have been so sh!t yet they a chosen week in week out when Allen has been playing consistently better than both of them and can start a game?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #1070: Feb 29, 2016 10:46:51 am
      After his performance Vs Augsburg and the first twenty mins on the field He should have been subbed...
      How is it Milner and Henderson have been so sh!t yet they a chosen week in week out when Allen has been playing consistently better than both of them and can start a game?

Hasn't Allen been injured?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1071: Feb 29, 2016 10:49:19 am
      Absolutely gutted, feel sick to the stomach.

Overall, our performance was okay. City had the better chances so perhaps they'd see themselves as deserved winners more. 'Okay' performances though aren't enough at this level in games of such magnitude. Had we have been much better in the final third we could have carved the kind of openings City did and take them. For that, I found Sturridge bitterly disappointing and yet again I'm left asking myself what all the hype about Firmino is.

To lose on penalties though is sickening and if there was one player who didn't deserve to be on the losing team today it was Lucas Levia. The Brazilian for me, was the best player on the park and I hate to say it but I could see it in his eyes that he was never going to score that penalty. I do wonder why Milner wasn't picked at the top end to take the penalties but that's by the by now.

I thought Mignolet redeemed himself in the 2 hours of football after conceding from such an angle, it was a howler. However, himself along with Lucas at the back really dug in. We just had nothing going the other way and even with our "best 3" up top we looked as toothless as we have all season without Sturridge, who again I must reiterate was very poor. It's times like this you wish you had a midfield[er] to back up the strikers who are hitting a brick wall, with a gut busting run, long rang effort [yes Steven Gerrard] or something to make it happen for the lads who are literally firing blanks.

We controlled the rest of the game quite well, and left ourselves open to attack which was worrying at the times. And because of that, I think I went through a few pairs of undies watching that game.

All in all, it will be a final to forget now, no achievement was made, spirits low, so the sooner the next game rolls in the better.

YNWA to those fans at Wembley who did their bit on a disappointing afternoon.

ps. f**k knows how you lot have the inclination and concentration to post in here during a cup final!

Agree with 99% of this..... Nice post
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1072: Feb 29, 2016 10:57:46 am
      On reflection ?

Not too bad.

Convinces John Henry how close we came with an average squad managed by JK.

Should be putting some big mazoolahs on the table this summer.

If we had won JH and TW  could have justified the £300 mill wasted on sh*te.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1073: Feb 29, 2016 10:59:56 am
      Couldn't agree more, the way he sits there on @rse cheek offers absolutely nothing to the team whatsoever. His influence over the last few matches has been absolutely f***ing zero, sitting there doing absolutely nothing. Hasn't scored a goal in ages either, or even had a shot on target the useless c***. In stark contrast in fact to the rest of our team who are rattling the goals in left right and centre, making chances, winning headers, having shots and all that.

BTW when do we play Villa or Norwich again?

Anyway you're quite right, we should replace him on the bench. Lets face it you could replace him on the bench with anybody you want as he doesn't actually ever come off it. I vote we replace him with me, I couldn't get a ticket yesterday and I would have done just as good a job as that useless c*** sitting there. Failing that, Sporty Spice. She could dance around a bit.

Love the sarcasm.....

But the point I was making was that we (LFC) or any other team needs options from the bench and I do not see the point, especially in a Cup Final having a player on the bench that you are never going to use... A GK is a player that you hope you will not use. Now unless we were again 4-1 up against City, which was highly unlikely given that they were back to fully strength there was no place on the bench for Benteke, when Stewart, Brannagan, Teixeira,Ojo,Kent would have given us better options
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1074: Feb 29, 2016 11:03:00 am
      But even when he has not been These two clowns "ALWAYS" get the nod before him
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #1075: Feb 29, 2016 11:04:56 am
      But even when he has not been These two clowns "ALWAYS" get the nod before him

Allen's not that good, Felliani bullying him out of last season's home defeat to the mancs, summed Joe up.

We need a whole new central midfield.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1076: Feb 29, 2016 11:05:06 am
      To say Milner was our best midfielder is pure provacation at best.

It dawned on me at the beginning of extra time just how far Brendan set us back with his squad when you look at the man to man comparison of what was on the park and said to my brother and old man at the time Klopp would be a F***ing miracle worker if he pulled of a win there.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1077: Feb 29, 2016 11:10:44 am
      To say Milner was our best midfielder is pure provacation at best.

It dawned on me at the beginning of extra time just how far Brendan set us back with his squad when you look at the man to man comparison of what was on the park and said to my brother and old man at the time Klopp would be a f**king miracle worker if he pulled of a win there.

Very True ...   but he nearly did.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1078: Feb 29, 2016 11:14:13 am
      Allen's not that good, Felliani bullying him out of last season's home defeat to the mancs, summed Joe up.

We need a whole new central midfield.
      Look I am not really a fan of Joe Allen, and I would be the first to say that there are better out there than him, But that is not the point I am making..... With in LFC we should always pick our best starting 11, and these last dozen or so games Allen has been better than Milner and Henderson... SO why do they always start a head of him?
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #1079: Feb 29, 2016 11:17:51 am
      Still completely gutted, the effort was there (well from most Studge) just sums us up really, keeper who is guaranteed to make a howler a game (yes he redeemed himself, but that is his job) two full backs who offer zero going forward, 3 hard-working CM who offer zero creativity, and a front three who offered glimpses, although Firmino was too lightweight once again for me, a win and trophy would have been brilliant, and would have hopefully put us on a little run, but in reality it would have been papering over the cracks, of what a poor squad of players we have who are completely underachieving.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1080: Feb 29, 2016 11:24:03 am
      Distraught. Gutted. Didn't even cross my mind losing that final, I just can't believe it.

sh*t outcome but I had a great day out regardless. I love Wembley trips and I hope there will be many more to come under Jürgen. Highlight of my day was when Coutinho jumped into the crowd where I was, I was in row 2, that feeling alone was worth the trip.

I thought we were the better side overall but they had the better chances. First half was quite even although Migs made a cracking save to palm Agueros shot on to the post. Saying that though we should have had a blatant penalty, or it looked blatant where I was sitting anyway. But in general, both teams looked a bit frightened to have a go I thought.

Second half needed an early goal but unfortunately it fell to them. Mignolet has taken a lot of stick for conceding it but in my opinion it was shambolic defending from Moreno. You are taught at school boy age - always go with the runner.

A soon as they scored I felt there was only one team who wanted to win and that was us. We dominated the play in my opinion but weren't creating that much. Far too many sideway passes for my liking and sometimes we were out of ideas. City had a couple of good chances to put the game to bed to be fair to them but we got the equaliser and I felt it was well deserved.

Extra time was pretty much the same. One team looked like they wanted to win it and that was us. Origi was unlucky with that header, a yard either side and the cup is ours.

Pen shoot out is just a lottery and I'm not criticising anybody who missed one.

Mignolet - I thought he had a very good game. One or two nervy moments and he could have done better for their goal but he made a few top top saves.

Clyne - Same old. Defends well but isn't offering enough going forward. Needs to hog that touchline more and get to the byline.

Lucas - Motm by a country mile. What a soldier.

Toure - Played and defended well.

Moreno - The lad can't defend and I'm not having anybody tell me any different. Starting to become a liability.

Can - God knows what he was doing for the first half an hour but lost count how many times he gave the ball away. Grew as the game went on though. Few important challenges and interceptions and was starting to find red shirts with his passing.

Hendo - Didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck. Seen enough of the ball but he was far too cautious. Big games and cup finals in particular you need a lot more from your skipper. That's the responsibility on his shoulders Im afraid and he doesn't stand up and be counted.

Milner - Poor in midfield but did a lot better when he moved to full back.

Firmino - Not his best game, struggled to get into it.

Coutinho - Played quite well in spells. If somethings going to happen its usually through Phil. Got the goal as well.

Sturridge - I thought he did well overall but lost the ball too many times trying one trick too many. Dazzled past players for fun at times but he should have pulled the trigger instead of trying to walk the ball in.

Thought it was a good team effort though and we were very unlucky to go home with nothing.

Quick Reply