Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      7 (8%)
      Jon Flanagan
      3 (3.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.1%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      6 (6.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      4 (4.5%)
      Joe Allen
      11 (12.5%)
      Adam Lallana
      13 (14.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      19 (21.6%)
      Divock Origi
      5 (5.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.1%)
      Martin Skrtel
      17 (19.3%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Mar 24, 2016 03:26:50 pm

Southampton 3-2 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 42772 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Southampton 3-2 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #782: Mar 20, 2016 06:12:12 pm
      How much is too much? He's had decent moments for us (you'd expect that from anyone who's spent 8 years with us) but it's going some to say he's repaid his fee several times over. What pisses me off about him is that this is a guy who had the temerity three years ago to come out to the media and effectively blackmail the club into playing him or else he would leave the club after Brendan played Carra and Agger together. He got lucky on account that Carra was retiring and that Brendan somehow screwed up by selling Agger. He's had reprieve after reprieve after reprieve and he keeps on committing the same mistakes.

He's been the one constant in our defence the last 8 years and for the majority of that time we can't claim to have had a defence anywhere near the levels we were used to. This tendency to dress him up to levels that are totally unjustified utterly bemuses me. The 'Burger King' myth and now some bizarre idea that he has paid his fee several times over - some people don't buy it. It's a complete mirage that some fans are taken in by. Fraud, ok I admit, might be a bit hard but there's no doubting in my mind that when given chance after chance after chance the guy has consistently failed to prove himself. Not capable of playing at the highest level he's conjured up a thoroughly bang average career at a club that expects better. In addition he's conjured up a lengthy career at Liverpool by default on account of players retiring and some dubious sales. Quite frankly, it's hard not to get pissed off. Sympathy levels can only go so far.

Agreed, in 8 years I only remember him having 1 decent one.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #783: Mar 20, 2016 06:13:35 pm
      Bit misdirected the anger at Skrtel, had we taken our chances upfront we now would be discussing another topic entirely.

It's not. Missing a couple of chances doesn't take away from the fact that Skrtel was the worst player on the pitch by a country mile.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 977 
      Reply #784: Mar 20, 2016 06:14:36 pm
      I don't want to beat a dead horse -- and this horse has been battered already -- but I can't remember any other time that I felt 1 player was solely responsible for dropping 3 points.  Sometimes you can blame a point or two on a player for missing chances or a defensive error that cost a goal, but in 45 minutes Martin turned a certain win into embarrassing defeat.  His instinct to always drop off as soon as we lose the ball created more space for Southampton in attack, which led to our midfield getting opened up.  I don't think we failed to deal with Wanyama, I think Skrtel abandoned his teammates which allowed Wanyama to dominate the middle.   9 players pressing with 1 dropping off doesn't work.  I can't see him fitting into Klopp's plans too much longer.....

Alright, now that's out of the way:

-  Lovren and Sakho looked solid and assured at most times. Dejan did get tested by Long a few times, but he usually dealt with him pretty well. 

-  Allen was excellent!!  He read the game so well, and his pressing and linking of defense to attack in the 1st half was impressive.  He has just started to find a bit of form and confidence, so hopefully he can build on this.  Sooooo unlucky not to get his goal....

-  Studge got a goal.  When he's fit and playing, he scores.  We just need to figure out how to keep him fit and playing more regularly....

-  Coutinho scored another wonderful goal!! 

-  Most of the other lads played well.  Skrtel and Benteke the only ones I'm disappointed with....
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #785: Mar 20, 2016 06:15:33 pm
      Win our game in hand and we're 4 points of a Champions League place, with 24 points left to play for.

Today was a blip in the bigger picture. Lessons will be learned and we'll be better for it.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #786: Mar 20, 2016 06:17:02 pm
      forget 4th atm

the fact we lost in the most ridiculous manner and the scum getting 3 pts is just a horrible combination

yes had we buried our chances better blah blah blah. 

but at the same time, we shipped them 3 goals.  that is what frustrates me to no end
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #787: Mar 20, 2016 06:18:08 pm
      3 goals conceded in the last 8 games. Now 3 goals conceded in 45 minutes with Skrtel on the pitch.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #788: Mar 20, 2016 06:20:59 pm
      forget 4th atm

the fact we lost in the most ridiculous manner and the scum getting 3 pts is just a horrible combination

yes had we buried our chances better blah blah blah. 

but at the same time, we shipped them 3 goals.  that is what frustrates me to no end

What pisses me off is that they weren't particularly creating THAT much when they had much of the ball in the second half. Their goals came from our mistakes. First goal - Can passes to Flanagan who doesn't control it. Poor from both. The second and third is just vintage Skrtel. People may complain about Mignolet's kick out but the header is easy to win for anyone...but Skrtel.

To read that he deserves another reprieve because he's 'repaid his fee several times over' continues the strange cult that surrounds the player.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #789: Mar 20, 2016 06:36:00 pm
      Is no one else worried that out of Southampton's 4 shots on target they scored 3. I'm not suggesting any of them were huge goalkeeping errors but a top goalie, for example De Gea, would have saved at least 1 if not 2 of them. We HAVE to get a better goalie plus please for the love of God never ever play Skrtel again. And also if the midfield battle is being lost change the F***ing formation, come on Kloppo that is football 101.

So in summary I blame this defeat on Klopp, first for taking off Lovren and putting on Skrtel instead of Toure and secondly for not altering the formation but everyone is allowed a few mistakes, not to many though!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #790: Mar 20, 2016 06:36:14 pm
      What pisses me off is that they weren't particularly creating THAT much when they had much of the ball in the second half. Their goals came from our mistakes. First goal - Can passes to Flanagan who doesn't control it. Poor from both. The second and third is just vintage Skrtel. People may complain about Mignolet's kick out but the header is easy to win for anyone...but Skrtel.

To read that he deserves another reprieve because he's 'repaid his fee several times over' continues the strange cult that surrounds the player.

People who are asking for a reprieve for that dunderhead Skrtel are the ones who bought into the myth of Skrtel the hard man. I'm sure there are still some desperately clinging to the Cult of Martin, instead of realising that he is, as you say, an utter fraud who should have been sold at least four years ago.

I shat it when I saw him come on the field in the second half, and as bad as a player I think he is, I wasn't expecting that performance.

I honestly have no words. I'm sick to death of this destructive player constantly wielding a malign influence in us time and time and time again. I don't think I've ever been more furious at one player and his performance in my life.

It takes something for a player to really set up your week feeling total sh*te.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #791: Mar 20, 2016 06:38:51 pm
      We can't just blame Skrtel, they were on top for that entire second half and were unlucky not to have scored a few times before they actually did.

They won the game from their bench with a change of shape and a change of personnel.

Something we did not react to anywhere near quickly enough.

It could have been 4 or 5 in the end, and it is not something new with this lot of players.

2-0 is such a commanding position to be in, where you hold all the cards, but for us it hangs over us like a dead weight on the players shoulders. We hit a wall, we stop playing, we lose all composure both on and off the ball, any purpose to try hurt them again in the final third and it all becomes very edgy.

We become sitting ducks, sat back waiting for the inevitable to happen.

Poor game management, with the questionable lack of a third sub also not helping the cause when you think we played a big game on Thursday.

We needed energy out there and our captain was sat on the bench. We needed to still carry a goal threat to give Southampton something to think about the way and we opt for Benteke instead.

It really wasn't great when at 2-0 you are in total control and can pick off the opposition at will if you can play with patience and control.

Huge F**k up today. So pissed off with them all.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #792: Mar 20, 2016 06:43:55 pm
      Meh, suddenly everyone knew since 1974 that Skrtel is the worst defender in the history of this club.

He had a sh*t game, but still, when most of your hormones are spent you'll probably feel ashamed of even trying to read half the sh*t posted in this thread.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #793: Mar 20, 2016 06:49:00 pm
      Sure Klopp's substitutions had an impact today

Just like his tactics did Thursday evening
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #794: Mar 20, 2016 06:57:00 pm
      Positives:
      Sturridge, Sakho, Clyne, Coutinho, Origi and Lallana

I think Flanno was poor, and I like him but it was a mistake to give him the armband so soon. Allen had good moments but instead of being the one who won us the game, he has become one of the midfielders who was unable to cope with the midfield of Southampton.

Skrtel... OMG it hurts to say but he was terrible, absolutely terrible. 

Our players were tired and these 2 goals killed them. Allen and Sturridge should have scored!

I'm not happy with Klopp today, he would expect more from the lads! Yes they were tired and he cannot blame one player or two but he should have pushed the lads to attack to score the 3rd goal or told them to defend. We had no shape during the whole 2nd half.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #795: Mar 20, 2016 06:57:45 pm
      We can't just blame Skrtel, they were on top for that entire second half and were unlucky not to have scored a few times before they actually did.

They won the game from their bench with a change of shape and a change of personnel.

Something we did not react to anywhere near quickly enough.

It could have been 4 or 5 in the end, and it is not something new with this lot of players.

2-0 is such a commanding position to be in, where you hold all the cards, but for us it hangs over us like a dead weight on the players shoulders. We hit a wall, we stop playing, we lose all composure both on and off the ball, any purpose to try hurt them again in the final third and it all becomes very edgy.

We become sitting ducks, sat back waiting for the inevitable to happen.

Poor game management, with the questionable lack of a third sub also not helping the cause when you think we played a big game on Thursday.

We needed energy out there and our captain was sat on the bench. We needed to still carry a goal threat to give Southampton something to think about the way and we opt for Benteke instead.

It really wasn't great when at 2-0 you are in total control and can pick off the opposition at will if you can play with patience and control.

Huge f**k up today. So pissed off with them all.

this..
      this was our mistake ,apart from the horrendous defending in the 2nd.half Koeman changed tactics with Wanyama and Mane a tactic we did not react to properly ..we were 2-0 up and to their midfield strengthening we reacted and subbed a striker with another striker instead of a midfielder/defender to strengthen our midfield , they just ran over us in the 2nd half with their changes,
      so apart from credit to the saints ,  I think THIS defeat was mainly of our making
      YNWA
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #796: Mar 20, 2016 06:58:20 pm
      Aside from anything else, whether they're "his players", "injuries" the "number of games" and all that, if the Mancs end up finishing above us in the league we all (including Jürgen) should be embarrassed. They are absolutely f****** sh!te. Leicester I can forgive because they're having a freak season, but not those useless c****.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #797: Mar 20, 2016 07:08:59 pm
      A bundle of whinging, whiny, hypocritical, knee-jerking, F***ing aul dolls. Rounding on your team like a shower of dirty Mancs or Chavs but without the balls to remain consistent - team has good result = Jürgen is great: team suffers defeat = 'the players are sh*te'  - listen to yourselves you lily-livered, 'tards.   >:D

The truth is; thanks to every team having a few quid, the Premier League is awash with players of roughly the same quality. Any team can beat any other and there's very little consistency... that's what happened today.

Add to that the nature of our squad (thrown together on 'value for money' basis rather than ability) and the fact Jürgen hasn't been able to field a regular starting XI and the sane among us will understand... sh*t happens. Support our lads and move on.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,665 posts | 491 
      Reply #798: Mar 20, 2016 07:16:18 pm
      First, forget about 4th it was never going to happen, every year we build this hope that if we go on a run we can clinch it, it never happens.
      Well, we do have to hope for it even if its quite a faint one.
      craventom
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | 68 
      Reply #799: Mar 20, 2016 07:23:03 pm
      The fact nearly everybody on this forum bashes Skrtel and blames him alone for the loss might stem from his performances since wearing the Liverpool jersey.

As I wrote before he is stiff in his moves and definitely doesn´t meets the demands of a high-level defensive back. And in this second half he didn´t win one duel (including the header before the game winning goal) which is of course a poor performance.

However, if I´m not completely blind it was Sakho who lost ALL three decisive duels against the opponent strikers leading directly to the goals against us.

Why does nobody blame him for not being concentrated enough in the awareness being too slow to cope with fast opponent strikers? He´s been losing at least 3 yards of the first ten in all three situations.

Many cornerbacks aren´t the fastest players on the pitch but at least he could have anticipated the situations earlier and better and put his massive body between the ball and his opponent.

We all know he´s been fantastic in rescent times but this loss today goes ITMO mostly to him.

Not to Skrtel and also not to Klopp as some people stated here.

He might have put Hendo onto the field to strengthen midfield power but the whole team didn´t get any access to the game in second half anymore.

He had to substitute Lovren for he was close to be sent off by the ref.

And his sub Benteke´s shot on that counter attack was really close and would nearly have led to the game winning goal.

He would have been the hero and Klopp would have been praised for conjuring the joker out of his hat.

Now JK also is in the crossfire of critciszm which is unfair for the mentioned reasons above.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #800: Mar 20, 2016 07:23:35 pm
      Watching the highlights in that game we were so dominant it was embarrassing.

I hope the players know today that if that game went 3-0 they'd have walked the game.

Joe Allen and Sturridge in particular need to look at themselves. Allens miss was a disgrace, Sturridge lack of a right foot for a professional footballer is another huge sin.

We have to take them chances, we have to be deadly, we have to ruthless bas**rds. Joe Allens missing 1v1s from 8 yards and people are smiling and hugging him.

F**k that!

We have to understand that when we are on top in matches that we won't be forever. That things will at times become nervy.

I'm not sure if the likes of Allen, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Sturridge prefer scoring as much as ripping through teams. Good football earns you the right to score goals but if you keep missing then it's worth nothing, and it will come back to bite us on the arse.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #801: Mar 20, 2016 07:33:59 pm

We really need to start finishing off our chances though, as somewhere sometime we are going to pay if we keep failing to put the ball in the net. Thankfully the mancs were as bad as we were and missed two or three clear cut chances too.

Didn't expect to be right as quickly as this though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #802: Mar 20, 2016 07:36:44 pm
      Quite literally a game of two halves, brilliant first half, then an absolute sh*te second half!

Wouldn't just level all the criticism at Skrtel, the whole team were sh*te in that second half - although the decision to sub Lovren at half-time still seems a baffling one to me.

And not forgetting the usual moan about not finishing off our chances.

BBC NEWS: BREAKING!!

"ISIS have claimed responsibility for the Martin Skrtel Attack, where terror was inflicted upon the Liverpool defence."

Did give me a chuckle that one!
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #803: Mar 20, 2016 07:44:25 pm
      I know a match thread when we lose is a pretty emotive place to talk football but maybe the army of Skrtel bathers could or should be looking to manager if they are going to be so critical? I assumed Lovren was injured (evidently not) so why was he making changes in the most important area on the pitch at half-time? And why not lean on Kolo who has played very well of late rather than a player who has been out for ages and isn't match fit?

Also, I thought it ironic that Henderson and Milner who get a regular bashing in here were both absent today and we got beat.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #804: Mar 20, 2016 07:53:17 pm
      Funny ol game isn't it...

Don't know how we weren't 4-0 up at half time..

Don't know why we just didn't shut up shop in the second half and say "thanks we'll take that 2-0" but no we thought we could carry on where we left off and go for another goal storm..
      Hat's off to their manager who employed plan B and it worked..
      We knew they we're gonna change things at half time yet we thought we could just carry on ripping them apart and just swop a centre half..

This league exploits your naivety and boy did we fall for it today..

Lost ground in the climb back up big time today... :mad:

Quick Reply