Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      7 (8%)
      Jon Flanagan
      3 (3.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.1%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      6 (6.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      4 (4.5%)
      Joe Allen
      11 (12.5%)
      Adam Lallana
      13 (14.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      19 (21.6%)
      Divock Origi
      5 (5.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.1%)
      Martin Skrtel
      17 (19.3%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Mar 24, 2016 03:26:50 pm

Southampton 3-2 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 42283 times
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 684 posts | 91 
      Re: Southampton 3-2 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #805: Mar 20, 2016 07:54:13 pm
      For me it's harsh to blame Skrtel solely for this defeat. I put it down to poor game management.  Henderson should also have been brought on, ok he's not the player to carve out chances but he wouldn't have been needed for that just to energise the midfield and shore up.

Plus if Benteke scores his one on one or Migs hits it over half way line this is a different type of thread.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #806: Mar 20, 2016 07:55:37 pm
      I have no idea Klopp's motives but I would assume he felt the game was well on its way to being in hand and figured it would be a good chance to give Skrtel some time whilst saving Lovren from another yellow. Had Skrtel not had a mare, it probably wouldnt have mattered. Maybe the whole team relaxed, it sure looked like it. Hopefully the lesson learned will be when you have someone down, don't let up, keep your foot on their throat and keep the pressure on. We let off, plain and simple. Hugely disappointed but it happens, we will go again.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #807: Mar 20, 2016 08:30:15 pm

Don't know if you're taking the piss or fishing, but I can't believe a Liverpool fan would post an anti- Liverpool pic from and anti-Liverpool site!!!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #808: Mar 20, 2016 08:53:44 pm
      For me it's harsh to blame Skrtel solely for this defeat. I put it down to poor game management.  Henderson should also have been brought on, ok he's not the player to carve out chances but he wouldn't have been needed for that just to energise the midfield and shore up.

Plus if Benteke scores his one on one or Migs hits it over half way line this is a different type of thread.
      poor game management indeed mate.
      It was obvious they we're going to just launch it long up to Pelle for the knock down second half yet we put Skrtel on a man to man with him...on his first game back...to save Lovren a red?
      saying that, your right, Mignolet had a nervy game and kept booting it to straight in to no mans land .. yet brilliantly saved a pen.. Mad !

International Friendlies to look forward to now...lets just hope our lot come back un-injured because we've got a very busy month next month

despite todays result my belief remains intact with JayKay.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #809: Mar 20, 2016 08:54:34 pm
      Was out all day. Got text to say we were cruising at 2-0, and was made up. No more news until F**k me, could not believe it when heard we lost 3-2 :( think that puts paid to any chance of CL positions, not so much just the result, but the manner of it, letting a two goal lead slip, will leave everyone deflated. Jayzus wept.

Not sure if Lovren was injured. If not, why the hell bring Skyrtel on?! Makes no sense to chance the CB pairing, particularly with a guy coming back from a long layoff. Strikes of being a bit cocky. Sure, hindsight is a great thing, but you take the praise when a sub works, you have to take the heat when it doesn't. Poor decision by Jürgen in retrospect.

Anyway, it was always a big ask to go on a run of 5 wins out of six (something like that would've been needed) so have now crashed down to earth again. The only thing that's been consistent this year, is our inconsistency, so though disappointed, not that surprised.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #810: Mar 20, 2016 08:59:56 pm
      Skrtel didn't put himself on the pitch, nor Benteke.

Think this one lies with you Mr Klopp (dives for cover)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #811: Mar 20, 2016 09:01:31 pm
      Skrtel didn't put himself on the pitch, nor Benteke.

Think this one lies with you Mr Klopp (dives for cover)

You're right, it was Klopp that put them on the pitch but it wasn't Klopp that made Skrtel have his hands all over a player yet again and give away a penalty or make him get beaten in the air every time or make him lose his man etc.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #812: Mar 20, 2016 09:13:33 pm
      Was out all day. Got text to say we were cruising at 2-0, and was made up. No more news until f**k me, could not believe it when heard we lost 3-2 :( think that puts paid to any chance of CL positions, not so much just the result, but the manner of it, letting a two goal lead slip, will leave everyone deflated. Jayzus wept.

Not sure if Lovren was injured. If not, why the hell bring Skyrtel on?! Makes no sense to chance the CB pairing, particularly with a guy coming back from a long layoff. Strikes of being a bit cocky. Sure, hindsight is a great thing, but you take the praise when a sub works, you have to take the heat when it doesn't. Poor decision by Jürgen in retrospect.

Anyway, it was always a big ask to go on a run of 5 wins out of six (something like that would've been needed) so have now crashed down to earth again. The only thing that's been consistent this year, is our inconsistency, so though disappointed, not that surprised.

If you had seen the first half mate, you would have been as surprised as the rest of us. We really played some excellent stuff in the first half, no indication of the dross to come. 4 or 5 - 1 (giving them the dubious penalty) would have been a fair reflection on the first half.

I know we have seen similar all too often in the past, but usually there is some indication that we are riding our luck or something... today until the second half there was nothing. Once the second half got going it was only too obvious that everything was going to go tits up and we didn't seem to have any answer to it.

Not going to go overboard and blame individual players or the manager, but if we could see what was happening surely highly paid professionals also saw it.

Ruined my F***ing day anyway. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #813: Mar 20, 2016 09:15:11 pm
      Our first ever Premier League defeat when leading 2-0 at half time I think.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #814: Mar 20, 2016 09:17:23 pm
      Our first ever Premier League defeat when leading 2-0 at half time I think.

I remember us winning 3-0 against Southampton and drawing 3-3 after Owen went off with a head injury, but can't think of a game we have lost after winning 2-0 at half time.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #815: Mar 20, 2016 09:31:42 pm
      If you had seen the first half mate, you would have been as surprised as the rest of us. We really played some excellent stuff in the first half, no indication of the dross to come. 4 or 5 - 1 (giving them the dubious penalty) would have been a fair reflection on the first half.

I know we have seen similar all too often in the past, but usually there is some indication that we are riding our luck or something... today until the second half there was nothing. Once the second half got going it was only too obvious that everything was going to go tits up and we didn't seem to have any answer to it.

Not going to go overboard and blame individual players or the manager, but if we could see what was happening surely highly paid professionals also saw it.

Ruined my f**king day anyway. 

Cheers for the summary mate, sounds like a real jeykll and hyde 1st and 2nd half :( Will sit through the 'highlights' later as per.
      Sounds like bringing on Toure for Skrtel might have been an option :)
      Bit surprised Hendo (a midfielder) not brought on to help shore things up/get better control (take off a front guy) if things were starting to come apart. Dunno, hard to say without having seen it :(  Eerrrrkkkkkk.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #816: Mar 20, 2016 09:33:15 pm
      In hindsight, we could have done better in terms of the forward line tracking back faster to close down the space when we lost possession. No, all were either jogging and/or strolling. the midfield was simply non-existent in the 2nd half.   It was a gulf of sea between or forward line and our defence in the second half and Southampton exploited that to the fullest. Said it for the last 3 years, we need a DM to defend the back 4. If we had one yesterday ala Masch, we would most probably get away with a draw.

The substitutions was a total failure.   A half fit Stur is much much better than a fully fit Benteke. The number of backpasses benteke made was truly shocking, all the way from the opposition box back to our half,  when we were drawing and loosing the game. He is simply asking to be sold. Just sell him then. Thanks to Brenda and the TC. Skrtel being Skrtel, he is as good as he is and flatter to deceive,
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #817: Mar 20, 2016 09:42:57 pm
      Implosion of the highest order, but we were very good the 1st half. Stamp out the issues and we will be great again under Klopp.

Skrtel and Migs are unfortunately the most nervous pairing in the history of our team. Migs was already having a "problematic" day, and albeit saved a pen, he was shaky throughout.

Skrtel is replaced and wont see many more minutes. Migs needs to be. We are getting there.

The internet is full of toxic "fans".... Have a look in the mirror and avoid being one too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #818: Mar 20, 2016 09:56:52 pm
      Jürgen was right in his assessment "we were not compact enough in the second half".

Numbskull Skrtel wants to continuously drop deep as soon as their is a sign of danger which means there was acres of space suddenly in midfield for Southampton to exploit.

Even on the first goal even though it was Flanno's bad touch which put into trouble if we were 10 yards further up the pitch the danger would have been snuffed out.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #819: Mar 20, 2016 10:46:35 pm
      You're right, it was Klopp that put them on the pitch but it wasn't Klopp that made Skrtel have his hands all over a player yet again and give away a penalty or make him get beaten in the air every time or make him lose his man etc.

Skrtel reminds me a little of Fellaini, like Fellaini constantly uses his elbow, Skrtel constantly manhandles players in the box. They never bloody learn.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #820: Mar 20, 2016 11:00:37 pm
      Just seen the goals on motm and I've got to say, I'm probably the biggest critic for both benteke and Skrtel but neither are at fault for those goals or for not winning us the game. 

First of all joe allens miss in the first half was ten times worse than bentekes. Allen is eight yards out in a central position, 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper, he has to score from there. His shot was so weak. If he scores the game is over. Terrible miss.

Bentekes miss in the second half was poor, but he is to the side of the goal and has to do so much more than what Allen did. Reading the comments on here before I thought he missed an absolute sitter and that wasn't the case at all. It was a very good chance and he should have hit the target but it wasn't a sitter like so many suggested.

Onto the goals we conceded. First one was appalling play from both can and flanno. Farting around with the ball in our half, lose possession, and concede straight away. Sakho maybe could have got closer to mane as well but the first goal was down to can and flanno.

Second goal is a long ball forward and Skrtel and pelle go up in the air. Pelle wins the head. The ball lands to their midfielder who plays it forward to long, who one touch passes to pelle who takes three or four touches before he shoots and scores. Sakho was the closest to him and should have got much tighter. I'm not blaming Skrtel at all for losing the head, it happens, centre forwards wills occasionally win them. When Skrtel goes up in the air it's 35 yards from our goal so there was loads of play after that and if anybody's at fault I suppose it's Sakho.

Third goal was yet again can farting around on the ball in our half. He gets caught on the ball and then releases it to flanno which was a shocking pass. Flanno has no other option than to pass it back to migs. Migs makes a mess of it and mis kicks the ball sending it high into the air. Skrtel doesn't head it clear, Allen then shits out of a tackle, the ball falls to them and they play mane through on goal who slots. How on earth can Skrtel be blamed for that? It was can and mignolet who were at fault far more than what Skrtel was.

I repeat that I don't rate either benteke or Skrtel but f**k me the comments I read before are bloody harsh after I've now seen the goals. Skrtels foul for the penalty was typical of him though.

Klopp was piss poor today too. he was a massive reason why we didn't leave there with three points today. And coming onto the pitch to criticise benteke is sh*t as well.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #821: Mar 20, 2016 11:13:54 pm
      Just seen the goals on motm and I've got to say, I'm probably the biggest critic for both benteke and Skrtel but neither are at fault for those goals or for not winning us the game. 

I saw the highlights. What they don't properly convey is how our defense went from organised and confident to completely panicked just by him being there.  The pressure they built was a direct result of Skrtel dropping off all the time rather than pressing and/or holding his line.  The whole team defended well and operated as a unit prior to his arrival.  Once he stepped onto the pitch, our defense went to sh*t -- that isn't a coincidence.....
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #822: Mar 20, 2016 11:20:24 pm
      Well we scored two in the first half and played some great footy. Second half capitulated due to lack of power in midfield, and pace. The defence was exposed due to the midfield deficiencies although they should have done better. Skrtle was crap, but not sure sahko was any better second half. And if you blame the loss on bentekes miss, you have to give the same amount of criticism to Allen.
      All in all we were out muscled and out run all over the park second half.
      One thing for sure, makes it easier to sort out the dead wood.
      Massively disappointed, but let's move on. With our past record in these situations, we should have expected something to go wrong.
      And on we go. Think we'll see a massive improvement next season with a few of Jurgens buys coming in.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #823: Mar 20, 2016 11:36:45 pm
      I saw the highlights. What they don't properly convey is how our defense went from organised and confident to completely panicked just by him being there.  The pressure they built was a direct result of Skrtel dropping off all the time rather than pressing and/or holding his line.  The whole team defended well and operated as a unit prior to his arrival.  Once he stepped onto the pitch, our defense went to sh*t -- that isn't a coincidence.....

Completely understand what you're saying, it's nothing new to me I've been saying it for years about Skrtel, don't rate him at all and it's noticeable how much better we defend without him in the side.

However, focusing solely on those goals, I don't blame him for any of them. I saw posts saying he was at fault for all three which is a blatant lie.

I don't think Bentekes miss was as bad as what people made out either and I can't stand benteke playing for us.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #824: Mar 20, 2016 11:45:37 pm
      Skrtel 16 votes for MOTM? didnt know its a sarcazm this voting, will be tuned next time.

otherwise Lallana for me. one of the best players on the pitch. shame others didnt give a f**k. emotionaly still in manchester. pussies
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #825: Mar 20, 2016 11:50:15 pm
      Didn't see much of the second half so I'm still trying to fathom what happened - from the match that I saw we were well on top and should have left with all three points.

I like front-foot defenders so I'm not a massive fan of Skrtel however he has been our best defender statistically for a number of years now.

Looks like we still have major lessons to learn about playing in this league - I hope we adapt fast otherwise time has almost run out.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #826: Mar 20, 2016 11:58:50 pm

To be fair, it's not like there's not plenty of tape showing Skrtel making the same mistakes that he made today. I'm pretty sure Klopp's seen it ;D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #827: Mar 21, 2016 12:04:04 am
      Completely understand what you're saying, it's nothing new to me I've been saying it for years about Skrtel, don't rate him at all and it's noticeable how much better we defend without him in the side.

However, focusing solely on those goals, I don't blame him for any of them. I saw posts saying he was at fault for all three which is a blatant lie.

I don't think Bentekes miss was as bad as what people made out either and I can't stand benteke playing for us.

Just saw the 'highlights' too, and yep, realise that they don't convey everything, but like you don't think Skrtel comes out of them as bad as he did for those who watched the whole match.
      At fault for the peno, deffo. Stupid.
      But Flanno/Can at fault for the first.
      Migs clears the ball properly for the last one, and none of the Skrtel/Allen disaster happens.
      Good finishes though from Mane - clinical.

At the end in the analysis they showed a 3 on two, where Studge was put through, hits a crap shot at the keeper, when he should've just squared it to the guy unmarked in the middle, Allen I think.

There was a goal disallowed too for Sahko being offside - from Allen's shot, I guess he must have touched the ball? I couldn't see it hit him, but anyway.

You could see though in their goals, we were outfought for tackles in the lead up, which seems to tally with what most guys said, that when Southampton got stuck in, we wilted. Murphy made a point about our energy levels getting depleted cause of Klopps pressing play, which means we let games slip in 2nd halves. Not sure about that. If we're getting out fought though in the middle, like today in the 2nd half, you surely need to bring on a mid, play one up top, get more bodies in there, manage the game.

Oh, and after getting told off by Jürgen on TV, I'd say Benteke will be looking to phone in his last few games...

Quick Reply