Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      7 (8%)
      Jon Flanagan
      3 (3.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.1%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      6 (6.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      4 (4.5%)
      Joe Allen
      11 (12.5%)
      Adam Lallana
      13 (14.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      19 (21.6%)
      Divock Origi
      5 (5.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.1%)
      Martin Skrtel
      17 (19.3%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Mar 24, 2016 03:26:50 pm

Southampton 3-2 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 42158 times
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Re: Southampton 3-2 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #828: Mar 21, 2016 12:04:58 am
      Total lack of emotions from the fans after utd game, and we are now complaining that players didnt give a F**k? Its our fault as much as its players. You do Everest, the next day you go to small hill in your local. You fundamentaly lack motivation. Goes to our players too, please dont be surprised and move on.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #829: Mar 21, 2016 12:06:16 am
      Total lack of emotions from the fans after utd game, and we are now complaining that players didnt give a f**k? Its our fault as much as its players. You do Everest, the next day you go to small hill in your local. You fundamentaly lack motivation. Goes to our players too, please dont be surprised and move on.

You're drunk, go home.
      GMM
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #830: Mar 21, 2016 05:03:36 am
      Ruined my weekend to see us lose in such a manner. On the bright side, assuming it was unlikely we'd finish top 4 even by winning the game, this loss seems inconsequential, and now the team will know not to get carried away against Dortmund, which is a game that really matters. Given our inconsistency, its more likely we'd get a win against Dortmund after showing poor form in preceding games.  :-\
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #831: Mar 21, 2016 06:36:49 am
      Oh, and after getting told off by Jürgen on TV, I'd say Benteke will be looking to phone in his last few games...

Apparently Jürgen mistook Benteke for Skrtel :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #832: Mar 21, 2016 06:57:15 am
      Nice first half that Joe Allen where have you been .

Or second half .... where did you go Joe?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #833: Mar 21, 2016 08:37:53 am
      Istanbul was boss though, wasn't it?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #834: Mar 21, 2016 11:14:31 am
      Despite all the good defensive work recently all 4 of our CB's are still prone to major errors.

I wouldn't shed a tear if all of them were eventually shipped out.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #835: Mar 21, 2016 11:23:44 am
      Total lack of emotions from the fans after utd game, and we are now complaining that players didnt give a F**k? Its our fault as much as its players. You do Everest, the next day you go to small hill in your local. You fundamentaly lack motivation. Goes to our players too, please dont be surprised and move on.

Your local has a small hill?  ???
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #836: Mar 21, 2016 12:19:53 pm
      Or second half .... where did you go Joe?
      To be fair he wasnt on his own total cave in second half mate.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #837: Mar 21, 2016 09:00:32 pm
      To be fair, it's not like there's not plenty of tape showing Skrtel making the same mistakes that he made today. I'm pretty sure Klopp's seen it ;D

Ha fair point!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #838: Mar 21, 2016 10:38:19 pm
      We didn't give the game to Southampton, they decided to come out second half and with their inspired subs, just overpowered and unsettled us. Partly because our players didn't have the energy to battle and dodgy subs by us.

Southampton deserve credit for not giving up,  regardless of me feeling gutted about us losing after being 2 up, it wouldn't be fair to not acknowledge that they worked wonders and we were on the receiving end.

~ Benteke's wasted goal opportunity, I see top strikers miss them goals 50% of the time so I don't get that part of the freakout session.

These are the lessons that need to be learnt this season rather than next, What players can be relied upon in tough circumstances, who needs to move on, who hasn't got the fitness to do the full pressing every game. I'd rather this get sorted out with the summer still ahead so we can have a proper season without some of the clowns in our team.
       So Klopp knows how some of these players we have are rash and haven't got the composure to keep things settled on the pitch consistently.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #839: Mar 21, 2016 11:16:20 pm
      Benteke's wasted goal opportunity, I see top strikers miss them goals 50% of the time so I don't get that part of the freakout session.

I said earlier mate the response to the missed chance was utterly ridiculous. From where he is (Benteke) and what he has to do, I would have thought the MAXIMUM number of times you could expect a striker to score is 6/10. He does better than it looks to take the pass into his stride in the first place, it kind of bobbles into him and it would have been easy to overun it. From there after his one touch it's a hit. Forster is a good keeper and you ain't going to beat him near post, so it's one option only and aim for the inside of the far post. I'd actually far rather the striker properly go for the corner and put it wide than play safe and give the keeper an easy parry by not putting it wide enough (usually what strikers lacking confidence do). If though we assume that the striker never ever miscontrols it and always gets his shot off, then we also have to factor in Forster saving two or three (he would, at least), as well as the eventuality which happened and it went wide. It's ONLY because it's Benteke that the reaction was like it was, and it's silly. 

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #840: Mar 21, 2016 11:38:57 pm
      Missed the first half hour, so missed the important goals. Second half was a disaster, but with no commentary at least I could watch it without hearing commentators going wild like people at a concert.

We couldn't defend a 2 goal lead against them in half an hour. We couldn't defend a 1 goal lead against them in 5 minutes. Penalty: 5 points. And we want to play in next year's European Cup?
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #841: Mar 21, 2016 11:54:02 pm
      I agree with many on here about Benteke, but thats 3 1on1's he has missed that spring to mind... Reality is, for 35 Million he should be putting those away.

Did that cost us the game, in my opinion at 1:3 they would have folded.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #842: Mar 21, 2016 11:56:53 pm
      in my opinion at 1:3 they would have folded.

Would have stopped their momentum.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #843: Mar 21, 2016 11:59:55 pm
      According to the MOTM poll the culpable is clear : we should get rid of Clyne. :)
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #844: Mar 22, 2016 02:09:40 am
      I said earlier mate the response to the missed chance was utterly ridiculous. From where he is (Benteke) and what he has to do, I would have thought the MAXIMUM number of times you could expect a striker to score is 6/10. He does better than it looks to take the pass into his stride in the first place, it kind of bobbles into him and it would have been easy to overun it. From there after his one touch it's a hit. Forster is a good keeper and you ain't going to beat him near post, so it's one option only and aim for the inside of the far post. I'd actually far rather the striker properly go for the corner and put it wide than play safe and give the keeper an easy parry by not putting it wide enough (usually what strikers lacking confidence do). If though we assume that the striker never ever miscontrols it and always gets his shot off, then we also have to factor in Forster saving two or three (he would, at least), as well as the eventuality which happened and it went wide. It's ONLY because it's Benteke that the reaction was like it was, and it's silly. 

The issue is that Benteke has missed loads of one on ones previously and in the majority of matches he has played for us he couldn't hit a barn door. This particular miss was probably highlighted due to the piss poor result. Also the fact that he is a striker leans towards more criticism for his miss than say one by Joe Allen. BTW I do accept that he has scored a couple of cracking goals for us but unfortunately they are rare.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,824 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #845: Mar 22, 2016 09:44:11 am
      Still can't get over that sh*t 2nd half.

Can't even bring myself to vote in the MOTM thread.

Don't know anyone that deserved it.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #846: Mar 22, 2016 10:25:04 am
      So just got the nerve to watch that.

My thoughts are;

We are great going forward for an hour and then we run out of steam.

I didn't see the whole game, but lets be honest. Great teams can lose a 2-0 lead - Barcelona did on the same day, but only mentality fragile teams actually go onto lose the game.

We were 2-1 up in the 83rd minute.

That's what we are. Weak. How may changes again in the summer?
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2016 10:44:10 am by Tadders »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #847: Mar 22, 2016 10:33:27 am
      I really think that the significance of a hugely emotional game on Thursday can't be over estimated. Equally, our lack of experience in managing such situations (I'm on about the players "game managing" the situation rather than Jürgen, I don't want to get submerged in mouth foam again) was apparent. We went at it like loonies in the first half and for the first twenty minutes of the second, chasing down everything, pressing everywhere we could, and then it seemed to me hit the wall and were dead on our feet for the rest of the match.

Perhaps a slightly more measured approach would have been a good idea, (particularly when we got 2-0 up). I found myself urging us to be a little more reserved for the last 20 minutes or do of the first half, then for the first twenty of the second. When you're 2-0 up you don't have to try and win 6-1 again, Flanno and Clyne were bombing, Lallana getting well ahead of the ball all the time.

Sometimes sitting in and waiting and seeing is the way to go, particularly when you're running low on fuel. I think we'll get better at it going forward.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #848: Mar 22, 2016 10:59:47 am
      The game was a collective failure by the manager and players.

No doubt Skrtel was the catalyst for the defensive confidence to suddenly disappear from the players but if Can and Flanno had not screwed about for the first goal and irrespective of Skrtel that should not suddenly stop Sakho from making a block or reacting so slowly to the danger.
      If Pirlo had put away his sitter, the ref allowed his legitimate goal and Benteke had a bit more composure in front of goal it was game over.

In hindsight the Lovren subbing was a disaster as Skrtel dragged the whole defence back another 10 yards making the midfield space much larger for our already tiring midfielders and this was the point where Jürgen got his subs wrong, another midfielder should have been introduced as Wanyama gave Pirlo a torrid time.

You live and learn as there was a lot more positives than negatives esp in that first half, the best we have played all season against a good team all bodes well.

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #849: Mar 22, 2016 11:46:54 am
      think we went into the game (like many others) with the wrong attitude.

making Flanno captain was wrong in so many ways - we have devalued the captains armband this season with the volume of people who have worn the armband

poor decision making and finishing - this has also been a common theme this season (and last), we have the ball in advanced positions to make so many poor decisions that it can not be considered as unlucky

lack of leaders and winners - we was bullied the in the 2nd half by a team who are lacking confidence

poor poor poor defense

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #850: Mar 22, 2016 11:58:39 am
      Still can't get over that sh*t 2nd half.

Can't even bring myself to vote in the MOTM thread.

Don't know anyone that deserved it.

Skrtel was MOTM but for Southampton. :(

Quick Reply