Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Stoke Sun 10th April 16:00 KO

Read 8076 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Stoke Sun 10th April 16:00 KO
      Reply #46: Apr 10, 2016 07:59:54 am
      Appreciate your point mate, but I thought Firmino looked well off the pace against Dortmund (coming on as sub probably didn't help either) so may need to get a game in to improve his match sharpness?

Yep, exactly why I included him.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,308 posts | 1669 
      Reply #47: Apr 10, 2016 09:22:34 am
      Allen to start with Stewart hopefully think Milner needs a break along with Clyne.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #48: Apr 10, 2016 09:24:56 am
      I think we need to be a little bit sensible with our selection here. Unlike most however I think that means we ought to play our strongest team.

IMHO it would be foolish to put all our eggs into the Europa league basket, I'd still make Dortmund slight favourites to go through and there are hard teams beyond that. Lose in the Europa and all of a sudden if we give up on the league, the season is looking like a poor one.

We're 9th in the league, 24 points behind Leicester, behind Southampton, Stoke, unlikely to catch up to West Ham, behind and adrift of the worst Manchester team for a generation. Despite that, we can match Borussia Dortmund?

No, Liverpool teams don't give up on the league. Not unless it's already won with a few games to go (note for young fans, that used to happen). I remember recent times when we gave up in the final matches of campaigns and well remember the anger that stoked up, even though we'd already qualified for Europe and there truly was nothing on the game.

No, we don't want any of that. Play a proper team, beat the might of Stoke City and then chill out for four days until we take on  Dortmund.
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2016 10:10:53 am by bigmick »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,715 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #49: Apr 10, 2016 09:37:41 am
      I think we need to be a little bit sensible with our selection here. Unlike most however I think that means we ought to play our strongest team.

IMHO it would be foolish to put all our eggs into the Europa league basket, I'd still make Dortmund slight favourites to go through and there are hard teams beyond that. Lose in the Europa and all of a sudden if we give up on the league, the season is looking like a poor one.

We're 9th in the league, 24 points behind Leicester, behind Southampton, Stoke, unlikely to catch up to West Ham, behind and adrift of the worst Manchester team for a generation. Despite that, we can match Borussia Dortmund?

No, Liverpool teams don't give up on the league. Not unless it's already won with a few games to go (note for young fans, that used to happen). I remember recent times when we gave up in the final matches of campaigns and we'll remember the anger that stoked up, even though we'do already qualified for Europe and there truly was nothing on the game.

No, we don't want any of that. Play a proper team, beat the might of Stoke City and then chill out for four days until we take on  Dortmund.

I understand your views and on other days I would agree with your opinion but I think that a mix should be found. In my opinion, we need to play experienced players with some youngsters. We should not lose faith in the league, every place is important but since we did not got beaten up like the Spurs, we need to go to Dortmund with the believe that we can do it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #50: Apr 10, 2016 09:50:11 am

Logic in that  ...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #51: Apr 10, 2016 10:18:15 am

I do too. Even though most of our eggs are already in the Europa League, surrendering to Stoke for the mere fact we can is exactly how this league can undo you as a manager. As you say there are four days which is sufficient for recovery.

Keeping the wholesale changes and footie manager stuff to a minimum and perhaps 1 or 2 changes, but nothing as drastic as what some people have put up.

Personally, I'd bring in Flanno for Moreno, and Sturridge for Origi and that's it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,672 posts | 6966 
      Reply #52: Apr 10, 2016 10:42:59 am

Certainly be no shame getting knocked out in the Quarter Final against Dortmund.  We were making a meal of the group stage if I recall in October.

We won't be finishing in the top four.  I thought most people had already accepted that but obviously not.

I've not been massively swayed by either argument for resting or not resting players today.  Season could well be over by Thursday midnight but it won't be because of our team selection against Stoke IMO.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: Apr 10, 2016 10:44:56 am
      Appreciate your point mate, but I thought Firmino looked well off the pace against Dortmund (coming on as sub probably didn't help either) so may need to get a game in to improve his match sharpness?

I wouldn't risk going on a pitch with some of Stoke's defenders to get him sharp though.

From personal experience and seeing our team as well, don't play too soon with hammy injuries. Never works out well.

If he plays, I hope it's because he's 100% right to go.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #54: Apr 10, 2016 10:45:27 am
      Yes Stoke are a team who for too many reasons to be able to count we really ought to be looking to finish above. Currently we are two pints behind them but we do have two games in hand and a better GD, so we should be able to pick them off. Southampton will prove tougher but we ought to harbour ambitions of getting past them too really. Currently we're 5 points behind them, but we do have THREE games in hand so we've surely got every chance if we take things seriously.

That'd put us up into 7th, and from there we can have a look at West Ham. Now we are 7points behind the hammers with two games in hand but an inferior goal difference. Catching them and getting into a Europa league slot (and matching last years effort too) won't be easy, but we should IMHO at least give it a go.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #55: Apr 10, 2016 10:49:57 am
      Certainly be no shame getting knocked out in the Quarter Final against Dortmund.  We were making a meal of the group stage if I recall in October.

We won't be finishing in the top four.  I thought most people had already accepted that but obviously not.

I've not been massively swayed by either argument for resting or not resting players today.  Season could well be over by Thursday midnight but it won't be because of our team selection against Stoke IMO.

Of course there'll be "no shame" in getting getting knocked out by Dortmund, they are the best team in the tournament IMHO. Even though we got a brilliant result over there, I still think we've got a lot to do, they are that good. No shame if we don't climb that mountain at all.

Equally I totally agree with you that we aren't going to get into the top four. I also agree with you when you say you thought everyone had accepted that, but a little amused that some haven't (don't name and shame them here, there's nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm however wide of reality). I actually haven't seen the posts where people are saying we'll get into the top four but I'm sure they were well intentioned, perhaps by younger members?

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #56: Apr 10, 2016 11:00:06 am
      Teixiera might get some game time then.

If the rumours about him going to Fiorentina are true I don't expect we'll see him near the first team again.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #57: Apr 10, 2016 11:07:58 am
      Gone for a 2 1 win over Stoke, contrary to opinion, I think a strong side should be fielded. Think Origi should start upfront.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #58: Apr 10, 2016 11:23:27 am
      I wouldn't risk going on a pitch with some of Stoke's defenders to get him sharp though.

That is a valid point.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,715 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #59: Apr 10, 2016 12:49:56 pm
      I'm off and hope we win this game. Won't be able to watch. Whoever plays, do your best!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #60: Apr 10, 2016 01:25:32 pm
      Yes Stoke are a team who for too many reasons to be able to count we really ought to be looking to finish above. Currently we are two pints behind them but we do have two games in hand and a better GD, so we should be able to pick them off. Southampton will prove tougher but we ought to harbour ambitions of getting past them too really. Currently we're 5 points behind them, but we do have THREE games in hand so we've surely got every chance if we take things seriously.

That'd put us up into 7th, and from there we can have a look at West Ham. Now we are 7points behind the hammers with two games in hand but an inferior goal difference. Catching them and getting into a Europa league slot (and matching last years effort too) won't be easy, but we should IMHO at least give it a go.

This all day long. Never give up, strongest side possible.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #61: Apr 10, 2016 01:31:34 pm
      I've not taken much notice of stokes recent form, but thinking we should beat them because...............

Well, because they're F***ing stoke and I hate them.

I just don't feel worried or nervous about this one, think it'll be 2 - 0 with a host of missed chances, then a late consolation for stoke, to give us a few minutes of squeaky bum time.
      Otherwise comfortable.
      COYM REDS. Creeping up the table, with those above us nervously looking over their shoulders.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,591 posts | 1675 
      • YNWA
      Reply #62: Apr 10, 2016 01:40:43 pm
      Won't be able to watch this one, so g'luck to the lads!
      Expect Sturridge to play, and if he does would hope there'd be a fire under his arse after being left out against Dortmund. If he wants to push for a place, needs to get his head and form straight, knuckle down and put in a performance.
      Be interesting to see who starts in the middle too, with Hendo and Can injured.
      Hard to predict this one, but hope for the 3 pts
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #63: Apr 10, 2016 01:43:16 pm
      COYR, not long now.

Let the game begin,  YNWA!

:aaliverpool2xt1: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #64: Apr 10, 2016 02:39:43 pm
      Dortmund chose not to play Reus, Mhkitaryan, Aubameyang in their derby game against arch rival Shalke. They are really prioritizing the return leg at Anfield. We need to do the same.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #65: Apr 10, 2016 03:03:30 pm
      Great to see Bobby back today.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #66: Apr 10, 2016 03:04:13 pm
      Kolo, Skrtel, Stewart and Ojo in the line-up apparently! Good to see the two youngsters.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #67: Apr 10, 2016 03:05:13 pm
      Hope the gamble pays off.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #68: Apr 10, 2016 03:05:44 pm
      Dortmund chose not to play Reus, Mhkitaryan, Aubameyang in their derby game against arch rival Shalke. They are really prioritizing the return leg at Anfield. We need to do the same.

Apparently Dortmund have rested 8 players from the first leg

Only Mats Hummels, Sven Bender and Erik Durm survive from their Thursday night draw

Quick Reply