Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

First choice striker

Read 9849 times
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Re: First choice striker
      Reply #92: Apr 12, 2016 08:30:25 pm
      It truly is astounding that we've got a player as good as Sturridge yet we continue to underrate him. Usually with most of our players we go completely the other way.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,719 posts | 3941 
      Reply #93: Apr 12, 2016 08:31:17 pm
      Sorry, but this is ridiculous. Sturridge's all round game is class. He's not a poacher by any means. You only have to look at the Stoke game to see that. He's a better player than Aldridge.

He's a level below the likes of Suarez, Lewandowski, and Aguero, but he's certainly on a similar level to, say, Benzema.

Agreed. His overall play is very high quality
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #94: Apr 12, 2016 08:36:07 pm
      Sorry, but this is ridiculous. Sturridge's all round game is class. He's not a poacher by any means. You only have to look at the Stoke game to see that. He's a better player than Aldridge.

He's a level below the likes of Suarez, Lewandowski, and Aguero, but he's certainly on a similar level to, say, Benzema.

Still not world class mate. Not imo anyway. Or to put it another way, if Suarez was still here we wouldn't be having a discussion about which striker plays against Dortmund as we are with Sturridge and Origi.

In all honesty I don't believe we have any World class players at the moment. Coutinho is probably as near as we have, but even he is not there yet.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #95: Apr 12, 2016 08:37:20 pm
      It truly is astounding that we've got a player as good as Sturridge yet we continue to underrate him.
      Agreed.
      Remember the calls, from fans, for him to be chased because of his injury record? F***ing embarrassing tbh. The man is quality and the more quality we have, in the team, the better. 
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #96: Apr 12, 2016 08:41:14 pm
      Still not world class mate. Not imo anyway. Or to put it another way, if Suarez was still here we wouldn't be having a discussion about which striker plays against Dortmund as we are with Sturridge and Origi.

In all honesty I don't believe we have any World class players at the moment. Coutinho is probably as near as we have, but even he is not there yet.

Suarez is one of the best players of the past 10-15 years and is by far the best striker in the world and one of the top two or three players in the world. Hardly the same.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,709 posts | 895 
      Reply #97: Apr 12, 2016 08:44:07 pm
      First choice striker?  Origi is a starter as long as he is in goal scoring form.
      If we are playing with two strikers then put stu in aswell. If not, put stu on for origi for last 20-25 mins.

No names or transfer fee should be taken to consideration, when choosing first team. That's just my opinion.

We can't be offering full 90 mins to players, and hope for they will play themselves into form.

The whole reason for having a depth is that a team has more options and the best performing gets a go.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #98: Apr 12, 2016 08:50:24 pm
      Suarez is one of the best players of the past 10-15 years and is by far the best striker in the world and one of the top two or three players in the world. Hardly the same.

Depends what your definition of World class is then mate. If it's just being a very good player who scores a lot then Vardi is world class :)

You only need look back at my post history to see how highly I rate Danny, but he is not World class. Excellent striker, but a couple of levels below the very best in the world.

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #99: Apr 12, 2016 09:52:23 pm
      Come on Chinese clubs Offer Mario  decent wages a week and a couple of concubines, he'll sign then  >:D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #100: Apr 12, 2016 09:53:54 pm
      That's hardly fair Skip. 

He was a very highly rated 18 year old German Youth striker and without the serious injuries he's suffered, he'd quite possibly have been featuring regularly for us.

He played those 2 games just after signing then ruptured his ACL that took nearly 12mths to recover from.  Whilst still getting back to fitness from that injury he ruptured his ACL in the other knee, only getting back into the 21s around this time last season. 

He then went on loan in the summer and has struggled, quite naturally after those 2 injuries and the length of time out, with a lot of niggles.

I stand corrected Debs.
      Post removed.

Moral of story. Check facts .
      Unaware of his ACLs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #101: Apr 12, 2016 10:11:08 pm
      I stand corrected Debs.
      Post removed.

Moral of story. Check facts .
      Unaware of his ACLs.

No probs mate  ;)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #102: Apr 12, 2016 10:43:21 pm
      Nah mate we have a prolific striker in Danny not a World class one. Aldridge was a prolific striker too, never a world class one.

I love Danny and think he is great, World class ... no.

Have to disagree with you there Saint, Aldo came late on the scene but he was world class IMO, one of the most instinctive strikers we've ever had and his work rate was fantastic. For his finishing Sturridge has to be considered among the best in the world, we haven't had a forward with a goals to games ratio like that in our history as far as I know.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #103: Apr 12, 2016 11:04:13 pm
      Have to disagree with you there Saint, Aldo came late on the scene but he was world class IMO, one of the most instinctive strikers we've ever had and his work rate was fantastic. For his finishing Sturridge has to be considered among the best in the world, we haven't had a forward with a goals to games ratio like that in our history as far as I know.

No problem with anyone disagreeing with me mate. I just believe being World class means more than just being a clinical striker. There are plenty of players that have been prolific strikers very few who have been genuinely world class imo. 

Aldo played with a couple of World class players which is about as close to World class as he came :)

I think Sturridge is a level or two down from the genuine World class like Suarez, Ronaldo, Messi even Neymar (and I don't believe Neymar is quite World class(from what I have seen on him.)

All about opinions mate... I don't mind being "different" :)   
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #104: Apr 13, 2016 05:11:27 am
      No problem with anyone disagreeing with me mate. I just believe being World class means more than just being a clinical striker. There are plenty of players that have been prolific strikers very few who have been genuinely world class imo. 

Aldo played with a couple of World class players which is about as close to World class as he came :)

I think Sturridge is a level or two down from the genuine World class like Suarez, Ronaldo, Messi even Neymar (and I don't believe Neymar is quite World class(from what I have seen on him.)

All about opinions mate... I don't mind being "different" :)   

No problem mate. Maybe I should say world class finishers instead of world class players.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #105: Apr 13, 2016 09:26:25 am
      No problem mate. Maybe I should say world class finishers instead of world class players.

There's absolutely no workable formula to determine who's "World Class" and who's not because there will always be contradictions to that formula. Stick to "Top Class" O.R. it's an easier position to defend... oh a word of warning tho' - it seems to annoy the F**k out of folk.  :-\

Aldo = top class in his league (at that time). Luis Suarez = top class in any league, any competition, at any time.  :f_whistle: :laugh: 
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #106: Apr 13, 2016 10:28:00 am
      Couple of weeks ago we had no strikers...its great that we can have this discussion now.

There is no doubt that Sturridge is the better footballer, but I think both Origi and Firmino can offer different qualities against certain opposition.

I trust Klopp to get that game by game call right.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #107: Apr 13, 2016 11:47:54 am
      We've already got a world class striker who has a better record than most of the strikers in our history.

Christ I hadn't realised he had beaten Ian Rush's 346 goals for the club!!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #108: Apr 13, 2016 01:13:32 pm
      I quite liked Sturridge's quotes today.

“One in two is a good strike rate but I’m hard on myself so I don’t want to settle for that.”

I don't want to see Sturridge sold, but we can't be in a situation where Origi, Ings and Firmino are our only cover. Benteke is leaving, try and find a lad who compliments the options we have and who wants to make himself number one pick.

On a side note, I'm not convinced Ings will be able to play as big a role next year as people think. I'm pretty sure ACL recoveries still don't have great success rates.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,617 posts | 752 
      Reply #109: Apr 13, 2016 03:22:29 pm

I remember Suarez and Sturridge playing together ;D.

If your arguemet is that he's not Suarez, then you win.

But i don't get the point. U dont just stumble upon another Suarez. It's hard enough stumbling upon a Sturridge.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #110: Apr 13, 2016 03:43:53 pm
      I remember Suarez and Sturridge playing together ;D.

If your arguemet is that he's not Suarez, then you win.

But i don't get the point. U dont just stumble upon another Suarez. It's hard enough stumbling upon a Sturridge.

No real point mate. Just my opinion that Danny while being a great striker is not World class. We have been lucky enough to bring in World class players in the past or indeed brought in players who subsequently became World class, maybe if we cross our fingers , the stars align and FSG relax their transfer policies we may do so again.

To be fair I am putting my hopes more on the crossed fingers and stars aligning rather than FSG. :)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #111: Apr 13, 2016 05:21:46 pm
      Sturridge will be worth more than Suarez soon. In a year or two, Sturridge will be at his peak, 27... Suarez must be at his peak now, nearing the backend of his peak soon.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #112: Apr 13, 2016 05:28:45 pm
      Sturridge will be worth more than Suarez soon. In a year or two, Sturridge will be at his peak, 27... Suarez must be at his peak now, nearing the backend of his peak soon.

Based on one season he was good? The other seasons were, 16, 18 and 14 apps. He may well have one of the best goals to games ratio I've seen but he is a walking sick note. In the last 2 seasons we have had 12 goals out of him. We must be absolutely terrible if Sturridge is one of our best players. If he is sulking it is probably because he is not drawing interest from other big clubs. The only way he would get to play for a bigger club than us is on a pay as you play contract like Owen had after his injury crisis was well known. West Ham could make an offer, maybe he can line up alongside Carrol and see who can spend the longest on their injury list.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #113: Apr 13, 2016 05:31:45 pm

Really?

I have to disagree.

Sturridge is injury prone at best, a great talent, but he's injured more than Suarez was banned and that's saying something.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #114: Apr 13, 2016 05:33:01 pm

I've said it along mate... Either he's got a split personality or there's two of them sharing same username.  :laugh:

Quick Reply