Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC

Read 50748 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC
      Reply #92: Apr 22, 2016 12:12:52 pm
      To be fair mate, it was Rafa that made the decision to sell Owen it wasn't Owen's decision, as Rafa stated in his book.

Personally couldn't care less about Owen, he lost all my respect when he signed for the mancs even if he was "desperate" for a club.

I havent read Rafa's book but my understanding was the Rafa joined and effectively gave Owen an ultimatum .

We won the CL the following May and he ended up fourth choice striker at Real Madrid.

Where is this Poll anyway?

Need something to send to Henry and Ayres .
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,821 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #93: Apr 22, 2016 12:20:26 pm
      What a Crock of sh*t!

Why didn't they give the Job to God?

Am sure I read on FB that there is a petition going around to get this decision overturned.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #94: Apr 22, 2016 12:21:48 pm
      I havent read Rafa's book but my understanding was the Rafa joined and effectively gave Owen an ultimatum .

We won the CL the following May and he ended up fourth choice striker at Real Madrid.

Where is this Poll anyway?

Need something to send to Henry and Ayres .

Nah mate, from what I remember, Owen was delaying and delaying his new contract and Rafa decided he couldn't risk Owen leaving for nothing so when Madrid came in for Owen Rafa decided to sell him.

Rafa could have played him in a European game and that would have been the end of negotiations with Madrid. Rafa didn't and sold him.

From Gerrard book  Rafa upset Owen by criticising him and not congratulating him on the tour of the USA after Owen had scored... lickle Micky didn't like that! (obviously not a quote but that's the gist of it)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #95: Apr 22, 2016 12:34:13 pm
      Nah mate, from what I remember, Owen was delaying and delaying his new contract and Rafa decided he couldn't risk Owen leaving for nothing so when Madrid came in for Owen Rafa decided to sell him.

Rafa could have played him in a European game and that would have been the end of negotiations with Madrid. Rafa didn't and sold him.

From Gerrard book  Rafa upset Owen by criticising him and not congratulating him on the tour of the USA after Owen had scored... lickle Micky didn't like that! (obviously not a quote but that's the gist of it)

Thanks  Saint .
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1801 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #96: Apr 22, 2016 12:49:48 pm
      What do you think of This? If this is true , hope he corrects his anti reds comments on BT during esp.games

Michael Owen handed new Liverpool FC job

Former Reds striker, now a pundit with BT Sport, has been handed a new role with the club

Michael Owen has been named Liverpool’s first official international ambassador.

The role will see the BT Sport pundit engaging with fans around the world, as well as representing the club at various fan and commercial events.

The former Reds striker ran out for the club for seven years before his controversial move to Real Madrid in 2004, and is often criticised by supporters for the manner of his departure.

Despite that, Owen returns to the club that gave him his first-team debut nearly 20 years ago.

full article.......  http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-owen-handed-new-liverpool-11222070

YNWA

Try not to be bitter about him playing for them, and the way he left. Good luck to him, he has came home eventually.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #97: Apr 22, 2016 01:01:41 pm
      Try not to be bitter about him playing for them, and the way he left. Good luck to him, he has came home eventually.

We would welcome any former player back into the fold ... you know that ....... but not when they've been sleeping with the enemy.
      You don't know what they've caught.

Bet Ferguson is cracking up over this fiasco as well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,325 posts | 8602 
      Reply #98: Apr 22, 2016 01:05:44 pm

No he hasn't, he's just got a nice well-paid ambassador role to suck sponsor's cocks!!

Show him the F***ing money.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #99: Apr 22, 2016 01:34:55 pm
      Well, there's a turn up, Michael, I love Utd, Owen an ambassador for us! Why we've done this, I will never understand, I will still mute him when he's commentating on us.
      There are so, so many former Liverpool players who should be way ahead of him in the queue, I can only think it's because of the high profile he's got! Me, I don't care for high profile, I want true Liverpool legends to represent us.

I'm guessing it's more an image thing. International supporters don't get our anger at him for going to Real at the first opportunity, then playing for Scum and being so negative about us since. They're not as attached to our history as us - doesn't mean they're less passionate, it just means they care less about historical grievances then we do. To FSG, Owen, ex Liverpool, United and Real star, still with his young, pretty boy image and clean cut appearances, is the perfect image to advertise Liverpool abroad.

I was angry back then, but I got over it and am still fond of what he did for us. However, his bitterness towards us (rumor has it that he wanted to come back but Rafa, rightly, did not want him before he moved to United), is my main beef with him being our ambassador. Still, maybe he will raise our profile  abroad afterall, and that's not a bad thing. I'm not as bothered as some here.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,957 posts | 5013 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #100: Apr 22, 2016 01:40:47 pm

Think your pretty much bang on mate, from my memory Owen did stall, Rafa didn't play him in the cl thinking Real M would offer a decent wedge, as the stalling went on and on it became clear to Owen that Rafa didn't want him, so when Real offered the paltry £8m the club and Owen accepted,
      If I remember correctly when it went Tits up for Owen Madrid wanted £16m from whoever paid, hence Owen going to Toon, and subsequently to Scumchester, I think that's what happened??

YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #101: Apr 22, 2016 01:45:45 pm
      Think your pretty much bang on mate, from my memory Owen did stall, Rafa didn't play him in the cl thinking Real M would offer a decent wedge, as the stalling went on and on it became clear to Owen that Rafa didn't want him, so when Real offered the paltry £8m the club and Owen accepted,
      If I remember correctly when it went Tits up for Owen Madrid wanted £16m from whoever paid, hence Owen going to Toon, and subsequently to Scumchester, I think that's what happened??

YNWA

Pretty much spot on mate... just missed out on Owen crying before he went to Newcastle (I felt sad for him at the time, now.... not so much :) )
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,957 posts | 5013 
      Reply #102: Apr 22, 2016 01:51:58 pm
      Pretty much spot on mate... just missed out on Owen crying before he went to Newcastle (I felt sad for him at the time, now.... not so much :) )

Yea had very little sympathy for him then, got even less now, although those tears were of the crocodile variety I'm sure?

YNWA
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #103: Apr 22, 2016 01:57:26 pm
      For me this isn't about whether I like Owen or not. I've made my feelings clear about that beaut a long time ago.

This is about a hierarchy at the club deeming someone suitable to represent us across the world.

Owen is definitely not someone to represent us.

Unless it was at the request of another party and there is money involved.

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #104: Apr 22, 2016 03:24:15 pm
      What a Crock of sh*t!

Why didn't they give the Job to God?

Am sure I read on FB that there is a petition going around to get this decision overturned.

18th July 2014 2014
      Fowler confirmed as official ambassador
      Robbie Fowler has taken a new step in his storied career with Liverpool after the club today announced that the revered former striker has become an official ambassador with the Reds.

Fowler, Ian, Kenny are all ambassadors to one extent or another.

A quartet of Kop legends will accompany the Liverpool squad when they embark on their pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia this weekend.

Ian Rush, Robbie Fowler, Didi Hamann and Luis Garcia will all be among the travelling party when the Reds fly off to Thailand on Sunday.

The former Liverpool stars will act as club ambassadors and attend numerous events with supporters and sponsors in Bangkok, Brisbane, Adelaide and Kuala Lumpur. They will also support the work of the Liverpool FC Foundation coaches who are hosting soccer schools in each of the four cities.
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/quartet-kop-legends-join-liverpool-9601117

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #105: Apr 22, 2016 07:03:41 pm
      He scored 158 goals for us. Some of them very important. He tried to return here twice before to add to that figure, but was squarely blocked by you know who, so he  had to go elsewhere. Not even a free transfer on the table, with us short of forwards was enough. Now he's finally back, on the very weekend when you know who is back, on his knees begging to beat the drop. Funny old game eh?

I'm not celebrating him coming back, in fact I'm not sure what exactly his role is, bar wine and dine a few oligarchs, bankers,  and sheikhs. In any case, we've far more important things to deal with back home.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #106: Apr 22, 2016 08:09:15 pm
      Is Michael Owen like Darth Vader where he goes from good, to bad and back to good again? I think he watches too much Star Wars.

;D. I don't know what's worse..Vader killing all the children in the Jedi temple because he was being twisted by the dark side of the Force or a Liverpool great playing for the Scum.  I think Owen playing for United is worse.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #107: Apr 22, 2016 08:17:57 pm
      Must have been that brochure of the gimp lying around somewhere and the powers to be read it and decided that's a great international ambassador right there... ;D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,358 posts | 1536 
      Reply #108: Apr 22, 2016 08:22:44 pm
      This really does take the biscuit. I've not posted before, because I'm just amazed he could have been singled out for the post, when there are so many more ex players more suited to the job, on a moral and personal connection with the club, basis, considering how Owen treated the club so disrespectfully leading up to his departure.
       He doesn't even like us doing well, always full of criticism, and almost always hypes up the opposition when he's the tv pundit.
      Who the F**k is responsible for this, you couldn't really make it up.  :f_doh: :f_steam:
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #109: Apr 22, 2016 09:14:07 pm
      Roy Evans should have got it , a great servant for this club all his life , himself and Kenny the last connections to the great bootroom .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #110: Apr 22, 2016 09:37:36 pm
      Is Michael Owen like Darth Vader where he goes from good, to bad and back to good again? I think he watches too much Star Wars.

Is that what happens in Star Wars? I always just thought he was an evil tw*t.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,562 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #111: Apr 22, 2016 09:50:40 pm
      To be fair mate, it was Rafa that made the decision to sell Owen it wasn't Owen's decision, as Rafa stated in his book.

Personally couldn't care less about Owen, he lost all my respect when he signed for the mancs even if he was "desperate" for a club.

Hmm, didn't read Rafa's tome, so this is all just blab on my part ... but recall feeling at the time he didn't want to stay and sign a new contract, and was a bit pissed as I actually didn't want him to go, but fair play to Rafa, he forced his hand and Owen went for the Real deal. Thought he could've chosen to stay, not sure what Rafa said though. And though he didn't go for free, it was a fairly paltry fee. He turned into Darren Anderton anyway, so maybe it was for the best :) He's not a guy I can warm to for some reason.

Not sure how reliable this is
      http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/473620/REVEALED-Why-Michael-Owen-quit-Liverpool-for-Real-Madrid
      "After a week of changing my mind one way and another, I decided that if I didn't give it a go I could regret it for the rest of my life. Like Ian Rush before me, the plan was that I could always come back (well that was my plan!)"
      That didn't work out so well...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,957 posts | 5013 
      Reply #112: Apr 23, 2016 08:51:12 am
      He scored 158 goals for us. Some of them very important. He tried to return here twice before to add to that figure, but was squarely blocked by you know who, so he  had to go elsewhere. Not even a free transfer on the table, with us short of forwards was enough. Now he's finally back, on the very weekend when you know who is back, on his knees begging to beat the drop. Funny old game eh?

I'm not celebrating him coming back, in fact I'm not sure what exactly his role is, bar wine and dine a few oligarchs, bankers,  and sheikhs. In any case, we've far more important things to deal with back home.

I notice you have trouble speaking fella, it might have something to do with your arsehole being just below your nose,

Down the years we proper Liverpool fans have a tendency to respect our former managers, especially when they bring home some high profile tin,
      " You know Who" did exactly that and had us playing fantastic football,
      It's such a shame your Arsehole seems to function way before that lonely brain cell you possess flickers into life, but don't fret my friend, the disrespect police are enroute draped in their white coats, keep taking the tables fella!!

YNWA
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,932 posts | 283 
      Reply #113: Apr 23, 2016 09:02:39 am
      Joke. I was thinking for the Dortmund game, why's he changed his tune.
      He can't ever say anything positive about the club, and resents the treatment he got after a) selling out for Real b) selling his soul for manure - can you blame us???
      Bad form whoever signed this off. Was a great player in his younger days, bu definately not the attitude I want representing the club.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,506 posts | 1484 
      Reply #114: Apr 23, 2016 09:10:19 am
      Roy Evans should have got it , a great servant for this club all his life , himself and Kenny the last connections to the great bootroom .
      Fantastic shout that mate & it would have been more deserving.

Quick Reply