Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      6 (6.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (3.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      8 (9.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (3.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      21 (23.9%)
      Joe Allen
      33 (37.5%)
      James Milner
      9 (10.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1.1%)
      Phil Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: May 01, 2016 10:00:21 pm

Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debates

Read 41310 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Re: Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debates
      Reply #598: Apr 28, 2016 10:27:46 pm
      Agreed. Get ready for another Anfield European night.

we were never going to go to Anfield and have some parade we like a struggle or the victory doesn't seem to mean as much
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #599: Apr 28, 2016 10:29:06 pm
      Me I think we will get 2, it's not letting any in that worries me.

they will score 1 early on we will get one before halftime and then just after halftime followed by a 96th minute winner by Lucas...how is that for aplot
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #600: Apr 28, 2016 10:29:54 pm
      Klopp didn't "get it all wrong". For 92 minutes he got it all right - then we were hit by a sucker punch goal. That's football for you. 60 more seconds and we're all saying 'solid result'.

With no Sakho, no Henderson, no Can, no Origi and Studge who doesn't work hard enough up front, he made a decision to go with Firmino. It worked against Man City, it just didn't work tonight.

I'm more inclined to ask why Firmino gave the ball away so many times tonight.

He didn't bring Studge on after 60, 70 or 80 minutes because he didn't need to bring him on - the plan was working just fine. It's easy to say he should have done this, he should have done that after the match has ended.

Best team lost.

You must have missed the numerous posts where people were asking for Sturridge to come on, people aren't just coming up with this after the final whistle. Just because we weren't losing that doesn't mean we didn't need to be more proactive up top.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #601: Apr 28, 2016 10:29:56 pm
      they will score 1 early on we will get one before halftime and then just after halftime followed by a 96th minute winner by Lucas...how is that for aplot

That's only 3 mate :)
      evaluator
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 88 posts |
      Reply #602: Apr 28, 2016 10:29:58 pm
      Klopp didn't "get it all wrong". For 92 minutes he got it all right - then we were hit by a sucker punch goal. That's football for you. 60 more seconds and we're all saying 'solid result'.

With no Sakho, no Henderson, no Can, no Origi and Studge who doesn't work hard enough up front, he made a decision to go with Firmino. It worked against Man City, it just didn't work tonight.

I'm more inclined to ask why Firmino gave the ball away so many times tonight.

He didn't bring Studge on after 60, 70 or 80 minutes because he didn't need to bring him on - the plan was working just fine. It's easy to say he should have done this, he should have done that after the match has ended.

Best team lost.

Definitely didn't get it all wrong.  I just think we should have the confidence by the 70-80 min to bring on Studge without thinking the tie tactic was abandoned.  It's not like we were parking the bus, we still were attacking, it just would have been nice to take the chance on a strong finisher late on
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #603: Apr 28, 2016 10:31:08 pm
      In summary we had two chances, they had two and took one of them.

Sh*t happens sometimes!
      None of us are perfect.

Let Klopp worry about that. Let's just be at our best for the return leg. Scare the sh*t out of the other team.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #604: Apr 28, 2016 10:31:09 pm
      From my perspective we played very well indeed up to a point. I thought Clyne let us down all night in an attacking sense, he was given so much strong possession on his side and time and time again he produced nothing. Lallana also failed to get involved enough and we need much more out of him than we got.

Positives were without doubt Joe Allen, who despite should have scored he was superb on the night, Lucas was also excellent in a midfield that controlled the game more than I thought they would. Ibe produced absolutely nothing on the ball and I think he lost it almost every time he received the ball. Firmino I thought had a decent game, produced the best interplay of all our forwards and put, as ever, a very good first line of defence in. As is his biggest weakness though did lose the ball too easily on occasion.

Toure was having a great match until he played their man on that got the assist for their goal, felt gutted for the defensive unit as they'd really surrendered very little after it was clear we went there for a draw or just to nick the odd goal. Moreno seems to have come in for some stick but I thought he had a decent game too and was our most potent threat in wide areas and very unlucky not to quite get clear of his man on the breakaway, had he got another half yard I think he could have gone across goal with his effort.

Overall we looked the better of the two sides without question and despite going into this feeling we might just have ran out of legs I think back at Anfield we can definitely turn this around. There will definitely be questions as to why Sturridge didn't start or at least get the last half hour, from my perspective Jürgen was perhaps a little too happy to take the 0-0 than go to grab that crucial away goal that could end up costing us in the end. Not the worst result, right in the tie and everything to play for in a week.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #605: Apr 28, 2016 10:31:58 pm
      I honestly think Klopp had his Rodgers moment their in not selecting Sturridge.

Quite why he played 90 minutes with a load of youth products and misfits against Newcastle in a game that meant nothing, while he sits and watches for 90 minutes in a game that means everything to us tonight, i really cant get my head around it, and i have really tried to figure it out too! :/

Really really weird, and will only get weirder if he starts against Swansea on Sunday.

Firmino and Lallana so powderpuff up the pitch, and compounded even further by the reliably dopey Jordan Ibe. Not going to cut it at this stage.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #606: Apr 28, 2016 10:33:01 pm
      Pragmatic tactics that came within seconds of working.

Sadly I think we could have won this game

Just read through some of these comments, funny that Klopp is told that he must know when to be pragmatic and then when he does go pragmatic it's cowardly against a team who've only conceded 1 goal at home in the competition.

Quality, it really is.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #607: Apr 28, 2016 10:33:13 pm

your negativity has crushed my optimisim.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #608: Apr 28, 2016 10:34:03 pm
      Just read through some of these comments, funny that Klopp is told that he must know when to be pragmatic and then when he does go pragmatic it's cowardly against a team who've only conceded 1 goal at home in the competition.

Quality, it really is.

one lack of concentration has cost us it was a very good away European performance
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #609: Apr 28, 2016 10:34:06 pm

It's not Klopp's fault because we had a static striker on for 2 minutes after not playing in god knows how long? I'm not sure how this can be made out to be some sort of a positive result just because we may have gotten beaten by more under Rodgers. It's not just the player's naivety though, the manager has the same problem at times in these games.

We go all out against Dortmund on two occasions yet do f**k all for most of the game against Villarreal. To say nothing has changed is a clear lie, we now need 2 to go through, we would have only needed 1 or even 0 if we'd have pressed for the goal properly. Let's hope our defence stays awake for 90 mins in the 2nd leg. Asking for a miracle that though.

I realise you have an agenda against Klopp for some strange reason and seek to criticise him at any opportunity, but for 91 minutes were you screaming at the TV telling them how they got it wrong? Are you seriously telling me you were screaming that the plan wasn't going according to plan. The idea is a simple one, the oldest trick in the book for first away legs - keep it tight. And without Origi, Can and an ill Coutinho playing, we were always struggling for more stability anyway.

This is F***ing hilarious - these criticisms are coming from the same folk who slated Rodgers for not going conservative against Chelsea in 2014.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #610: Apr 28, 2016 10:35:17 pm
      I realise you have an agenda against Klopp for some strange reason and seek to criticise him at any opportunity, but for 91 minutes were you screaming at the TV telling them how they got it wrong? Are you seriously telling me you were screaming that the plan wasn't going according to plan. The idea is a simple one, the oldest trick in the book for first away legs - keep it tight. And without Origi, Can and an ill Coutinho playing, we were always struggling for more stability anyway.

This is f**king hilarious - these criticisms are coming from the same folk who slated Rodgers for not going conservative against Chelsea in 2014.

who said a manager doesn't make mistakes?. If Allen scores from 8 yards he is a genius . Good performance crap result
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #611: Apr 28, 2016 10:35:46 pm

Quality, it really is.

Firstly, is it the same people saying these things? I'd hazard a guess and say probably not.

Pragmatic is doing whatever is best to get the result. It doesn't mean defensive. Sometimes throwing everyone forward is more pragmatic than remaining solid.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #612: Apr 28, 2016 10:35:55 pm

That's basically where I'm at. If our defence was solid and one of the most consistent then I wouldn't be that arsed about that tonight but it's the fact that our defence is all over the place at times that makes me annoyed at wasted opportunities like tonight.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #613: Apr 28, 2016 10:35:56 pm
      Disappointed that they scored that late strike but up until then thought we were doing a decent job.

Not going to cry about it.  Seen enough Liverpool games over the years to know one goal here or there is a nothing lead.

After the last two rounds I remain fairly confident that we'll do the job at home.

Thought we missed Origi and Can.  Lucas has got a pretty poor record for Liverpool over the last two years.  We don't actually win a lot of games when he plays.  As for Sturridge - who knows? He was out 'warming up' all of half time so who knows whether he's got out of bed the wrong side or not? 

Fact that Benteke came on instead might suggest to you something.  He's hardly Klopp's favourite.

Anyway, I've got grit so bring on next week.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #614: Apr 28, 2016 10:36:51 pm
      Agreed Allen should have scored, Moreno could have or at the very least should have passed it on for a tap in but when you have the best player on both sides sitting on the bench and you are crying out for an away goal to make it easier on us, then you would expect the Boss to throw him on at some stage.

They are gonna park the bus at Anfield and we all know we struggle against teams that do that to us.

I suspect the tactic was trashed after Klopp saw that the box was jammed packed with yellow player. And the supplier to Daniel had already been subbed. Anyway it would be difficult for Daniel to get to the through balls. May as well try Benteke and crosses. Maybe that was why. Or I may be wrong.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #615: Apr 28, 2016 10:36:58 pm
      Firstly, is it the same people saying these things? I'd hazard a guess and say probably not.

Pragmatic is doing whatever is best to get the result. It doesn't mean defensive. Sometimes throwing everyone forward is more pragmatic than remaining solid.

we couldn't win the tie tonight but we could have lost it so he was pragmatic in keeping us in the game even at one down we are very much in the game
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #616: Apr 28, 2016 10:36:58 pm
      your negativity has crushed my optimisim.

:D

Sorry mate. Maybe when you said they would score first.... it was an own goal :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #617: Apr 28, 2016 10:37:03 pm
      Dreadful shame we lost that game tonight as I thought it was a superb European away performance, all to do in the second leg now but Anfield will get behind the boys and I've said all along, I'll take Liverpool to beat anyone over two legs and anyway we love a challenge !!

Bring it on..
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #618: Apr 28, 2016 10:38:39 pm

This is f**king hilarious - these criticisms are coming from the same folk who slated Rodgers for not going conservative against Chelsea in 2014.

I was screaming in this thread for quite a while saying I wanted him to bring a striker on. They were completely there for the taking and if you don't go for the throat when you have the opportunity, it can cost you and it did tonight.

I'm a massive Klopp fan by the way and I'm also a massive Rodgers fan and think he was right to continue playing the way that had gotten us into the position we were in against Chelsea. So no, these criticisms aren't only coming from people who slated Rodgers for that.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #619: Apr 28, 2016 10:39:01 pm
      Dreadful shame we lost that game tonight as I thought it was a superb European away performance, all to do in the second leg now but Anfield will get behind the boys and I've said all along, I'll take Liverpool to beat anyone over two legs and anyway we love a challenge !!

Bring it on..

the players will not fear Villa Real after tonight I fully expect a thunderous performance with a manic Anfield crowd
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #620: Apr 28, 2016 10:39:09 pm
      As for Ibe who is getting a lot of grief, the lad is clearly very low on confidence. Was this the right game to throw him on? Probably not the best.

Quick Reply