Voting closed: May 22, 2016 10:48:23 am

Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla: In game and post match debate

Read 50952 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla: In game and post match debate
      Reply #1104: May 19, 2016 10:11:39 am
      Guys I'm as gutted about the result as everyone else but we have to realise that there were 2 teams on the pitch last night and as much as we took a step back in the second half Sevilla took a huge leap forwards in terms of performance, Sevilla were sh*t in the first half and great 2nd hald whilst we were good 1st half and sh*t 2nd.
      We have to admit that over the 2 halves of football we were beaten by the better team. It still hurts but you can often learn more from a defeat than a win PLUS it makes a it a hell of a lot easier for Klopp to ask for extra funds in the summer.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1105: May 19, 2016 10:34:41 am
      Missed out us winning the F.A. CUP in 2006 J.D. but it still doesn't make me feel any better.

Gutted isn't a strong enough word for how I feel at the moment.

Have hangover, without drinking any beer :(  So disappointed still. And no match coming to put things right.
      At least have the distraction of the euros now in a few weeks.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #1106: May 19, 2016 10:44:40 am
      I love the argument that no European football will help us next season.

Maybe if we pulled out of the league as well, we could focus on keeping all of our players fit for ever....but never play them.

We could then not be a football club, and just talk about our history...
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #1107: May 19, 2016 10:48:08 am
      Capitulations mid game are becoming a bit too frequent.

Would that have happened if we had leaders like Carra or Stevie on the field?

Are we lacking real leaders to influence the game when it's going against us?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1108: May 19, 2016 10:52:31 am
      Guys I'm as gutted about the result as everyone else but we have to realise that there were 2 teams on the pitch last night and as much as we took a step back in the second half Sevilla took a huge leap forwards in terms of performance, Sevilla were sh*t in the first half and great 2nd hald whilst we were good 1st half and sh*t 2nd.
      We have to admit that over the 2 halves of football we were beaten by the better team. It still hurts but you can often learn more from a defeat than a win PLUS it makes a it a hell of a lot easier for Klopp to ask for extra funds in the summer.

Shame we learned nothing from the cup final against Man City then. It'd be great if the players could start this learning process sooner rather than later.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #1109: May 19, 2016 10:53:12 am

Understandable that people look for the positives after a defeat in the final though.

Surely it's undeniable that it was a factor in 2013-14.  If nothing else at least we should be in a position to play our strongest XI for each league game next season.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #1110: May 19, 2016 10:54:14 am
      Love the poll, cheers JD.

You've got to larf ain't ya.

;D

I thought Clyne played well, was a real outlet in the 1st half as well as being solid in defence.

Was pegged back in the second, but still kept his side tight.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1111: May 19, 2016 11:03:38 am

Wonder if Sevilla focused more on the league, and less on Europe, they might finish higher.  Really don't think they're too bothered about their league placing this morning.
      No doubt the Europa took from our PL end of season, but am not going to try to argue it's a good thing not to be involved. We just need to learn from it, and move on.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1112: May 19, 2016 11:05:45 am

Have not read any of your comments, and will start after mine from page 28 (after the final whistle)...

We were really poor last night. Fact (a word I do not like to use)... No just in some areas of the field, but most areas of the field... Yes we had a few decisions go against us, we should have had a penalty or two, but for me the story was how badly that we performed as a team…

Away from the individual players at the moment it is how narrow we seem to always be around the opposition’s goal area… We get far too many players in and around that area of the field that it become so congested it work more against us than for us, and too many time players have to try and tread the needle with their passes to even get an attempt on target. We lack the personnel of a Barca, Arsenal, or City to play this type of football constantly…

Our attack lacks really quality, pace and individual penetration. By this I mean Sturridge, although a great striker should not lead the line… He can score some fantastic goals, like last night; but lacks any real pace to run a way from defenders, or the trickery of a Suarez type of player to buy him then extra yards, the same can be said across the front line with Benteke, Ings and with the exception of Origi (The only one with real pace) we need to be looking for two new strikers along the lines of a Luis Suarez/Javier Hernandez type player to play a long side Daniel Sturridge or Divok Origi, someone that will make those Suarez type runs and gamble on the area that the ball maybe played into…

Our Midfield is not robust or disciple enough… We try to win back the ball and end up give away pointless free kicks when some time simple holding the opposition up is what is called for, forcing them to play the ball backwards or side ward and allowing your team mates the time to get back and cover… We have no midfield General in the team, someone who can sit between the attack and defence and call the shots….

Defence and GK… We all know the problems there…

Individual Players…
      Sturridge scored such a great goal last night, but having said that (for me at least) did very little else to effect the out come of this game; and besides the image of the wonder goal he score the only other image I can see of him is chasing a 50/50 ball late in the second half with a defender and the defender effortlessly beating him to it… I have to wonder two things… (1) Was his lack of pace down to his injury problems?  (2) Or is it the start of a major decline in over all form and he no longer has the pace, much like what happened to Torres

Coutinho… Great Little talented individual, but is too much being put on him due to (1) How close our players get in and a round the box… (2)The lack of options and quality around him

Firmino… Obviously has the skill, talent, and know how but he is such a frustrating player to watch at time… Drifts in and out the game far too often: Needs to be more consistent

Lallana… Just does not have it at European Level, No consistency, too often no end product (squad player at best, would be no really loss should Klopp chose to sell)

Milner… Work horse adds some quality to a poor side, decent crosses from the wing….Downside gives away too many free kicks

Can… Has the making of a top quality Midfielder, fast, strong decisive, has good vision, Good in the air… Downside must realise that he can not win every ball

Moreno… Like this player good forward, could be a lot more composed on the ball…
      Downside. Too often caught out of place and overly reliant on his speed to get him out of trouble will dive recklessly into tackle in all areas of the pitch, average at best at defending… Just like Glen Johnson great going forward but can’t defend, which as a LB you would expect that to be high on the agenda

Clyne… Not really sire that he has it at European level either…

Lovren… Has improved but needs more of the same

Toure: Age has passed him by… Squad player at best

In all fairness unlike the commentator Last night I believe that Sevilla is a better team than both Dortmund and Villarreal after all winning the Europa League three years in a row can be no accident

But if we can be honest we have a poor squad at present and we at times perform and punch way above our weight; we need to bring in quality players this summer… The task has become much harder with no European football next season… On the Brightside Players like Riyad Mahrez and Dimitri Payet where found and signed for Clubs not playing in the Europe
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,067 posts | 548 
      Reply #1113: May 19, 2016 11:16:17 am
      I thought Clyne played well, was a real outlet in the 1st half as well as being solid in defence.

Was pegged back in the second, but still kept his side tight.

Clyne played really well in the 1st half - he put in some great crosses.

Second half as you say he was pegged back but he didnt do much wrong.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1114: May 19, 2016 11:28:55 am
      Sevilla dug in and showed the mental strength of a Rafa team. Looked like our lot lost their bottle after the first goal went in.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1115: May 19, 2016 11:29:03 am
      Crumb of comfort I can't see any big club coming in for Coutinho after that performance.
      Yeah but they could come for Kolo  :f_whistle:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Sevilla
      Reply #1116: May 19, 2016 11:34:36 am

Sturridge – I was f**king raging when he decided to make a play for the ball when he was clearly offside. He was looking right across the line, the ball was on target, WHY GO FOR IT?!

Absolutely True,WHY GO FOR IT?!

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #1117: May 19, 2016 11:38:11 am
      Got back this morning - will catch up later. The one thing that should be drilled into you in top flight football - or any football for that matter - is when 1-0 up at HT - especially in a major final - is don't f*** things up in the first few minutes. keep it tight.  We did the opposite in 18 seconds

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1118: May 19, 2016 11:39:01 am
      You aren't the only one bud. I had to come to work an hour after it finished.

Shattered.

I know I'm not the only one :(
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1119: May 19, 2016 11:41:53 am

Have not read any of your comments, and will start after mine from page 28 (after the final whistle)...

We were really poor last night. Fact (a word I do not like to use)... No just in some areas of the field, but most areas of the field... Yes we had a few decisions go against us, we should have had a penalty or two, but for me the story was how badly that we performed as a team…

Away from the individual players at the moment it is how narrow we seem to always be around the opposition’s goal area… We get far too many players in and around that area of the field that it become so congested it work more against us than for us, and too many time players have to try and tread the needle with their passes to even get an attempt on target. We lack the personnel of a Barca, Arsenal, or City to play this type of football constantly…

Our attack lacks really quality, pace and individual penetration. By this I mean Sturridge, although a great striker should not lead the line… He can score some fantastic goals, like last night; but lacks any real pace to run a way from defenders, or the trickery of a Suarez type of player to buy him then extra yards, the same can be said across the front line with Benteke, Ings and with the exception of Origi (The only one with real pace) we need to be looking for two new strikers along the lines of a Luis Suarez/Javier Hernandez type player to play a long side Daniel Sturridge or Divok Origi, someone that will make those Suarez type runs and gamble on the area that the ball maybe played into…

Our Midfield is not robust or disciple enough… We try to win back the ball and end up give away pointless free kicks when some time simple holding the opposition up is what is called for, forcing them to play the ball backwards or side ward and allowing your team mates the time to get back and cover… We have no midfield General in the team, someone who can sit between the attack and defence and call the shots….

Defence and GK… We all know the problems there…

Individual Players…
      Sturridge scored such a great goal last night, but having said that (for me at least) did very little else to effect the out come of this game; and besides the image of the wonder goal he score the only other image I can see of him is chasing a 50/50 ball late in the second half with a defender and the defender effortlessly beating him to it… I have to wonder two things… (1) Was his lack of pace down to his injury problems?  (2) Or is it the start of a major decline in over all form and he no longer has the pace, much like what happened to Torres

Coutinho… Great Little talented individual, but is too much being put on him due to (1) How close our players get in and a round the box… (2)The lack of options and quality around him

Firmino… Obviously has the skill, talent, and know how but he is such a frustrating player to watch at time… Drifts in and out the game far too often: Needs to be more consistent

Lallana… Just does not have it at European Level, No consistency, too often no end product (squad player at best, would be no really loss should Klopp chose to sell)

Milner… Work horse adds some quality to a poor side, decent crosses from the wing….Downside gives away too many free kicks

Can… Has the making of a top quality Midfielder, fast, strong decisive, has good vision, Good in the air… Downside must realise that he can not win every ball

Moreno… Like this player good forward, could be a lot more composed on the ball…
      Downside. Too often caught out of place and overly reliant on his speed to get him out of trouble will dive recklessly into tackle in all areas of the pitch, average at best at defending… Just like Glen Johnson great going forward but can’t defend, which as a LB you would expect that to be high on the agenda

Clyne… Not really sire that he has it at European level either…

Lovren… Has improved but needs more of the same

Toure: Age has passed him by… Squad player at best

In all fairness unlike the commentator Last night I believe that Sevilla is a better team than both Dortmund and Villarreal after all winning the Europa League three years in a row can be no accident

But if we can be honest we have a poor squad at present and we at times perform and punch way above our weight; we need to bring in quality players this summer… The task has become much harder with no European football next season… On the Brightside Players like Riyad Mahrez and Dimitri Payet where found and signed for Clubs not playing in the Europe

Sturridge barely got given the ball in the second half, so busy were we giving it away in silly areas then defending against attacks, and because we kept giving the ball away, Clyne was never able to get forward with the ball again like he had been doing in the first half. As James Pearce said, it was a game that summed up our season in ninety minutes.

As for your ratings, Clyne was our main threat in the first half, and as I said, couldn't get going in the second because of mistakes of others, Lovren played excellently and continues to grow under Klopp, Toure was a giant and the best man on the pitch and yes, he maybe a squad player at 35/36 but a useful one at that, especially what he offers off the pitch as well as on it.

Jimsouse67

• 9,549 posts | 1495 
      Reply #1120: May 19, 2016 11:53:50 am
      Got back this morning - will catch up later. The one thing that should be drilled into you in top flight football - or any football for that matter - is when 1-0 up at HT - especially in a major final - is don't f*** things up in the first few minutes. keep it tight.  We did the opposite in 18 seconds
      Golden rule that mate,it was like we shat ourselves when they scored that equaliser & we fell apart at the seams.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1121: May 19, 2016 12:01:26 pm

So what's the excuse for not matching their effort then?

If they are better playing football than we are that's fine, we can take that on the chin and accept we lost to the better team. Its hard to accept a defeat when 10 players  in a red shirt  (everyone apart from Kolo) put minimal effort in though - in a f**king European final.

Sevilla out fought us, out run us, won every ball and every 50-50, they wanted it more than we did plain and simple, and that my friend is inexcusable.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #1122: May 19, 2016 12:07:35 pm
      Any post which says the ref was a c*** is a fair one in my book. It's all very well baldy c*** Howard Webb giving it "Nah, that's not a penalty either" but every football fan understands the law of accumulative justice. If you don't get the first one, you'll no doubt get the second, and failing that you're nailed on for the third. To have three "seen them given" (and that's understating things) handballs refused IN ONE HALF is f****** unbelievable.
      [/quote
      Any post which says the ref was a c*** is a fair one in my book. It's all very well baldy c*** Howard Webb giving it "Nah, that's not a penalty either" but every football fan understands the law of accumulative justice. If you don't get the first one, you'll no doubt get the second, and failing that you're nailed on for the third. To have three "seen them given" (and that's understating things) handballs refused IN ONE HALF is f****** unbelievable.

When a ball hits you on the arm the way it did tonight it's a foul in England, Spain, Sweden and Timbuktu. It was a farce, no other words for it.

Spot on mate like you ssy you might not get one but fckin hell to not get any and that stupid c**t of a commentator saying he possibly didnt give them because it was too esrly in the game couldn't believe my ears what a tool .
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1123: May 19, 2016 12:08:34 pm
      No Stevie
      No Carra
      No Pepe
      No Sami

No Guts
      No Leaders ...

No Chance.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #1124: May 19, 2016 12:15:31 pm
      I love it when certain somebodies (or nobodies) think they know better than the manager...particularly one of Klopp's stature.

Because I'm sure you were saying that pre match and bemoaning Klopp for doing so. What a load of pish.

Where do i say i know more than the manager? It's my opinion on what happened in the game  and how i think it could of been  staved away from the abysmal  result we ended up watching.

Tell you what, why don't you go back to picking nits out of your siblings hair and have a think about it.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1125: May 19, 2016 12:16:02 pm
      We need a little c**t like Suarez in the team. A c**t we all love but a c**t nonetheless. Somebody who is going to get a hold of their bollocks and fight for everything.

Danny Ings is just a quarter of the player Luis Suarez is but I for one can't wait to see him in a red shirt next season. He is one player who will give it their all.

Even players like Dirk Kuyt. Lets be honest, he was quite sh*te wasn't he. But he had a winners mentality and always gave it everything, especially in big games. We don't have any players like that any more.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1126: May 19, 2016 12:20:16 pm
      Well that sucked. The place was pumping pre game, atmosphere amazing and then we served that sh*t out.

Even when we went ahead we never looked comfortable. They won every contest in the air or on the ground. Moreno was a disgrace and Emre was awful.

The poll nails it. Only Kolo looked good out there.

So disappointed in that. We didn't turn up for the biggest occassion of the season.

Quick Reply