Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 205437 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #115: May 26, 2016 03:40:13 pm
      But when you talk of the best :-

Courtois  6'6"
      Neuer     6'4"
      Hart       6' 5"
      Cech      6' 4"
      De gea   6' 4"

I don't think being above 6' 2" is a prerequisite for being a top keeper, I can see the advantage for sure but when you have agility, like it appears Karius has then it can make up for the minor difference in height.

Reina was easily the best keeper in this league for a long time, Clem winning the poll for best keeper in our history.

Just for a few others:

Schmeichel 6' 3"
      Buffon 6' 3"
      Reina 6' 2"
      Kahn 6' 2"
      Casillas 6' 1"
      Shilton 6' 1"
      Southall 6' 1"
      Banks 6' 1"
      Barthez 6'
      Jennings 6'
      Zoff 6'
      Lloris 6'
      Clemence 6'

I know a couple of inches matters but within 1 inch that's some of the greatest keepers that have ever been, just think when you widen the search the significance of that inch or two in goal keeping terms is very little.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #116: May 26, 2016 03:44:29 pm
      I don't think being above 6' 2" is a prerequisite for being a top keeper,

I don't either mate. It was originally meant as a throw away line, not a condemnation of all the height challenged people of the free world. 

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #117: May 26, 2016 03:48:52 pm
      I don't either mate. It was originally meant as a throw away line, not a condemnation of all the height challenged people of the free world. 

:D I've watched too much GoT, I was definitely thinking of Meereen there!
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #118: May 26, 2016 04:16:26 pm
      But when you talk of the best :-

Courtois  6'6"
      Neuer     6'4"
      Hart       6' 5"
      Cech      6' 4"
      De gea   6' 4"

Do you honestly rate Hart? Casillas is one of the best goalkeepers of all time...He's 6 1
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #119: May 26, 2016 04:18:24 pm
      Do you honestly rate Hart? Casillas is one of the best goalkeepers of all time...He's 6 1

I reckon that would be an interesting vote, Hart or Karius.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #120: May 26, 2016 09:43:42 pm
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #121: May 26, 2016 10:16:19 pm
      Nah mate, but I am not going to pretend that size doesn't matter. :)

It's how you use it saint.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #122: May 27, 2016 05:41:17 am

Great news, least amount of fuss & deal done. He looks like an acrobat in his vids, seems to like tapping the ball back into danger areas though... found this in the youtube comment section- Metro article:
      Liverpool fans will also be interested to know that Karius has failed to make a single error that led to a goal this season. The German isn’t afraid to back himself whether the ball is in the air or at his feet, while Mignolet has unfortunately made four mistakes that led directly to Liverpool conceding this campaign, costing Klopp’s side eight Premier League points in total.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/20/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-liverpool-target-loris-karius-5895112/#ixzz49pOk2Uwq

Good luck kid!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #123: May 27, 2016 05:47:20 am

Looks like a chicken wing tbh mate.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #124: May 27, 2016 08:22:53 am

I never gave my opinion, just fixing someone else's post. ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #125: May 27, 2016 08:45:10 am

never mind the quality feel the width 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #126: May 27, 2016 02:11:22 pm

I love chicken! :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #127: May 27, 2016 04:30:41 pm
      Apologies but I just had another flashback from the season just gone by. I hate to be down on any of our players but when you consider that there were two games against Sunderland and Newcastle at home where two mistakes by Mignolet led to us dropping two points in both, 4 points in total. Take your pick from any number of other games where Simon messed up and you will have plenty of points at the end of it all which should have seen us get CL football.

I know it's not the done thing to single out individuals especially when they are keepers and you accept that they will make mistakes now and again. But when they are mistakes made against relegation fodder, kick starting their salvage plans AWAY from home, with them ultimately prevailing, such mistakes just cannot be passed over. I find it inconceivable how Karius could not improve us such was the basement level of standards that Mignolet set last season. I'm sure Simon is not that bad, I'm certain he's a better keeper but quite frankly that was a horror show of a season not worthy of number two status at the club. Karius's move to Liverpool is very much welcomed. I'm sure most people's dominant feeling is one of relief such was the gruesome cavalcade of F**k ups we seemed to witness week in week out.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #128: May 27, 2016 04:58:52 pm

The wing is my favourite part!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #129: May 27, 2016 10:20:47 pm

You would still eat it though mate.

Finger licking good.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #130: May 28, 2016 08:50:25 am
      I never gave my opinion, just fixing someone else's post. ;)

Ah yeah! that's true, oops, good research though.
      Quote from TheRedMosquito link=topic=48789.msg1938452#msg1938452

date=1464354682
      I love chicken! :laugh:

You would still eat it though mate.

Finger licking good.

Lmao  :)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #131: May 28, 2016 09:25:14 am
      Maybe he can Karius to the title...

;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #132: May 28, 2016 08:47:08 pm
      I had high hopes when we signed Migs. Not going to go down that road again
      Ha ha ha... you just wouldn't listen s@int but you weren't alone to be fair; at least you are man enough to admit it tho'. It would appear Jürgen has wised up or changed his mind, if you prefer, re: Simon - [Where others clearly have no problem doing so - I certainly wouldn't accuse Jürgen of lying when he said what he said about Simon]. And... weirdly enough - rather than just accept that the boss can change his mind...

It now transpires the same folk now believe Mignolet is "an asset" and not "sh*te" after all... who'd have thunked it?  :lmao:

Anyway; less about arsewipe hypocrites and more about young Loris.... Welcome to the club young fella: I genuinely hope you star in and keep a clean sheet in every game you play.   :nod:
      « Last Edit: May 28, 2016 10:27:10 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #133: May 28, 2016 08:57:04 pm
      It now transpires Mignolet wasn't "sh*te" after all but "an asset"... who'd have thunked it?  :lmao:

Anyway; less about arsewipe hypocrites and more about young Loris.... Welcome to the club young fella: I genuinely hope you star in and keep a clean sheet in every game you play.   :nod:

:lmao:

I've an alternative theory to the "asset" one mate. Mine goes something like this, when Jürgen watched Migs in training he was quite good. From that he thought "F*** me, if this lad starts reproducing this form in matches we've got a really good keeper on our hands here. Best we sign him up long term, he's f****** brilliant". Then, when Migs keeps making a mess of things he thought "Ah bollocks, I've f***** this up, he's actually sh!te". I really rate Jürgen, but it happens to the best of us so no harm done.

Course I might be wrong and it might all be part of some kind of Grand plan or something.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #134: May 28, 2016 09:06:00 pm
      I've an alternative theory to the "asset" one mate. Mine goes something like this, when Jürgen watched Migs in training he was quite good. From that he thought "F*** me, if this lad starts reproducing this form in matches we've got a really good keeper on our hands here. Best we sign him up long term, he's f****** brilliant". Then, when Migs keeps making a mess of things he thought "Ah bollocks, I've f***** this up, he's actually sh!te". I really rate Jürgen, but it happens to the best of us so no harm done.

Yeah Mick... exactly as how I've read it (I've mentioned 'a change of mind' a couple of times previously in fact) - truth is: most of us grown ups can, not only, change our minds, when we have been wrong but aren't afraid to admit it when we do.  8)

Course I might be wrong and it might all be part of some kind of Grand plan or something.
      :lmao:

Not that I would be arrogant enough to believe that Jürgen needs 'my' overly defensive protection but... there's that possibility too, of course.   :laugh:
      « Last Edit: May 28, 2016 09:17:59 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #135: May 28, 2016 09:47:36 pm
      Neil Atkinson said something quite pertinent on The Anfield Wrap that Mignolet fails because he is too normal.

Yes, that is a weird criticism but keepers usually have to be ice cool and cocky or utterly bonkers and cocky. Any normal bloke would quiver in front of goal and Simon is just too normal perhaps. Karius sounds to be on the ice cool and cocky side.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #136: May 28, 2016 10:44:11 pm

I'd send it back and ask for one with meat on it
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #137: May 28, 2016 10:46:08 pm
      Neil Atkinson said something quite pertinent on The Anfield Wrap that Mignolet fails because he is too normal.

Yes, that is a weird criticism but keepers usually have to be ice cool and cocky or utterly bonkers and cocky. Any normal bloke would quiver in front of goal and Simon is just too normal perhaps. Karius sounds to be on the ice cool and cocky side.

Was it Oliver Kahn the German Goalkeeper he was one bad Motherfucker but nobody messed with him and that goes for most of the very best goalkeepers DeGea is the exception who's talent is otherworldly. Simon is just too nice

Quick Reply