Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 202363 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #621: Sep 27, 2017 11:40:26 pm
      Don't see why you feel the need to question. I've seen plenty of Ward the last couple of years - at Aberdeen and Huddersfield (followed them closely last year and watched the occasional match online, influenced largely by being interested in Wagner as a manager and in part support after attending our pre season friendly at their ground in July 2016 and having a great experience). And while it's a poor barometer, I'd comfortably say he was the best keeper the SPL has seen in the last few years during his half season loan with them.

He's a good keeper who can do the basics that Mignolet can't even do of late. He wouldn't displace Huddersfield's current number 1 (no one will given how excellent he's been) but I don't doubt that their fans would love to have him back as competition for that place.

Fair enough, the reason I asked is that I don't believe everyone who have been saying Ward is better than Mignolet are doing so on the basis of actually watching Ward, but rather a dislike for Migs - which is fair enough, I'm not a fan of Simon Mignolet either, but that doesn't mean Ward is necessarily better or an immediate improvement... I'm not sure if Karius is one either, for example.

It's good to hear the opinion of someone who did watch Ward on a regular basis though, I saw him live twice last season (playoffs semi and final), but I don't think that was enough to judge him. The only poster I remember who actually watched Huddersfield with some regularity was mcarz I think, and he wasn't all that impressed with Ward if I recall correctly.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #622: Sep 27, 2017 11:44:19 pm
      Definitely needs to consider sticking his arms out sooner.

It'd definitely help.

Needs to move his feet quicker.

That was simply kiddie stuff.

If I never see him again in goal for us it will be too soon!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #623: Nov 01, 2017 11:03:38 pm
      Didn't see the game tonight but how did he get on? Another clean sheet isn't bad going
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #624: Nov 02, 2017 12:13:57 am
      Didn't see the game tonight but how did he get on? Another clean sheet isn't bad going

Didn't have much to do. Maribor sat deep for most of the game.
      One strong save from a Maribor strike and got off his line,
      which should be a starting point for a keeper, but you know...
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #625: Nov 21, 2017 10:09:56 pm
      Thought this lad was outstanding tonight.

My MotM, just nipping Bobby because he was excellent in both halves.

More impressed in him tonight than Migs in 4.5 years.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #626: Dec 06, 2017 11:48:23 pm
      4 clean sheets in 7 for Karius.

5 clean sheets in 17 for Migs.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #627: Dec 07, 2017 12:20:13 am
      42507292 quick throws for Karius.

0 for Mignolet.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #628: Dec 13, 2017 10:18:55 pm
      Good guy.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #629: Dec 13, 2017 10:22:41 pm
      My first choice definitely.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #630: Dec 13, 2017 10:30:15 pm

Same here. He hasn't done a lot wrong this season. The only mistake of note I can remember is when we conceded from a free kick in the Champions League.

Quite a few clean sheets he's wracking up, follows on from him performing very well over the 2 legs vs Saints last season.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #631: Dec 14, 2017 10:34:12 am
      I'm not his fan but played brilliantly yesterday. Keep it up, he can take Simon's place if he continue to perform as he is doing.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #632: Dec 30, 2017 05:11:21 pm
      I saw half an hour of him today at the end and honestly I cant see him cutting it here. I'm happy to see more if Klopp wants to do that but his kicking was more 'confident' but probably more immediately dangerous than Simons aimless punts up field.

Karius exudes to me nervous bravado. Fake confidence if you like.

Theres no genuine command of his area and really I think we need to solve the position in the transfer window.

We dont need 3 average keepers we need a top class one an average one and a young British one to fill the quotas.

Migs or Loris can stay if they accept those terms, but one of them has to go and I couldnt give a F**k which one to be honest.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #633: Dec 30, 2017 05:14:10 pm
      I saw half an hour of him today at the end and honestly I cant see him cutting it here.

Sorry mate, 30 minutes is not enough to say that.

We don't win the game without his distribution today, not sure if your caught the first goal, it was all down to Karius getting it up the field.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #634: Dec 30, 2017 05:16:56 pm
      Didn't really take much notice of his performance today, I seemed to be more focused on how Gomez and Robertson were doing. The only thing I really remember from Karius' performance today was his distribution was pretty snappy, wasn't hanging around with the ball too long.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #635: Dec 30, 2017 05:20:53 pm
      Magillionaire got it spot on in his analysis on the match thread.

He's just better than Mignolet. Simple as that. Not a high bar to jump admittedly but one Karius and probably Ward as well clear with ease. For sure, question his merits as a number 1 but in the current context it's all we can go on at the moment given how appalling Mignolet is. The 'they're as bad as each other' argument is tiresome when it's parently clear that's not the case especially when you have a charge sheet as long and offensive as Mignolet's.

Quite frankly some fans should stop using Karius as some sort of apologist device for Mignolet's dire quality.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #636: Dec 30, 2017 06:16:00 pm
      Magillionaire got it spot on in his analysis on the match thread.

He's just better than Mignolet. Simple as that. Not a high bar to jump admittedly but one Karius and probably Ward as well clear with ease. For sure, question his merits as a number 1 but in the current context it's all we can go on at the moment given how appalling Mignolet is. The 'they're as bad as each other' argument is tiresome when it's parently clear that's not the case especially when you have a charge sheet as long and offensive as Mignolet's.

Quite frankly some fans should stop using Karius as some sort of apologist device for Mignolet's dire quality.

I would have to see more of Karius to come to a conclusion. I wasn't impressed with him today (including a lot of his distribution to be honest), but I already know Mignolet cannot be our first choice keeper on a title-winning side. I have no problem with Klopp selecting him for matches the rest of the season.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #637: Dec 30, 2017 06:18:23 pm
      Honestly not sure what people are complaining about today.

Did his job well - kicking was patchy for 15 mins but otherwise I thought he was thoroughly competent.

Is he good enough......hard to tell but he’s better than Migs. 3.167 times better to be precise 👍
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #638: Dec 30, 2017 06:27:40 pm
      No doubt better than Mignolet, not sure if he is the answer but deserves to play more games maybe he’ll come good.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #639: Dec 30, 2017 06:58:55 pm
      Honestly not sure what people are complaining about today.

Did his job well - kicking was patchy for 15 mins but otherwise I thought he was thoroughly competent.

Is he good enough......hard to tell but he’s better than Migs. 3.167 times better to be precise 👍
      People must have been watching a different game. At 55 minutes saved our bacon. That was just after the quick distribution that led to Salah equalising. Quality! He needs more game time obviously though.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #640: Dec 30, 2017 07:03:48 pm
      Sorry mate, 30 minutes is not enough to say that.

We don't win the game without his distribution today, not sure if your caught the first goal, it was all down to Karius getting it up the field.

Some of his distribution was poor but some as you say was really good. I really like his urgency in trying to start the counter when he has possession but overall I'm not a fan. We have to sign a considerable upgrade in the summer.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #641: Jan 05, 2018 07:17:14 pm
      Big game for Karius.
      It's a derby, so would expect him to have stuff to do.
      Just keep yer head, and keep it simple.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #642: Jan 06, 2018 12:32:26 am
      Not going to be one of them idiots who blame him for the goal. F**k all he could do with it.

First half he had little to do but what he did have i thought he looked alert.

Second half a dodgy drop and a few losses of composure.

We spent huge on a CB, i'd like us to now splash out on a new keeper.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #643: Jan 06, 2018 01:09:31 am
      Not going to be one of them idiots who blame him for the goal. F**k all he could do with it.

First half he had little to do but what he did have i thought he looked alert.

Second half a dodgy drop and a few losses of composure.

We spent huge on a CB, i'd like us to now splash out on a new keeper.

Well thank f**k for that. Don't know what some people are watching when I sometimes see them put the blame on our goalkeeper. That ball was perfectly placed into the bottom corner. Even had he dived, he wouldn't have gotten there.

Don't think he really dropped it because he didn't catch it well. From what I remember, he came confidently, caught it and only dropped it because while coming down after the jump, his hands hit someone's head which caused him to drop it?

If I recall correctly, you're a goalkeeper yourself, right? Would you put down some of the losses of composure to lack of game time and again starting with a different defence in front of him?

For example the stuff between him and Van Dijk, I don't really mind. That's a new partnership, it's good that Van Dijk is communicating. That's something that can improve pretty quickly? Just a case of understanding when your CB wants you to come or as a CB knowing when you can count on your goalkeeper?

Can't help but think that a confident Karius (as at Mainz) wouldn't have these moments. Just needs a run of games with the same defence in front of him.

Quick Reply