Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 204501 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #644: Jan 06, 2018 01:27:56 am
      Well thank f**k for that. Don't know what some people are watching when I sometimes see them put the blame on our goalkeeper. That ball was perfectly placed into the bottom corner. Even had he dived, he wouldn't have gotten there.

Don't think he really dropped it because he didn't catch it well. From what I remember, he came confidently, caught it and only dropped it because while coming down after the jump, his hands hit someone's head which caused him to drop it?

If I recall correctly, you're a goalkeeper yourself, right? Would you put down some of the losses of composure to lack of game time and again starting with a different defence in front of him?

For example the stuff between him and Van Dijk, I don't really mind. That's a new partnership, it's good that Van Dijk is communicating. That's something that can improve pretty quickly? Just a case of understanding when your CB wants you to come or as a CB knowing when you can count on your goalkeeper?

Can't help but think that a confident Karius (as at Mainz) wouldn't have these moments. Just needs a run of games with the same defence in front of him.

Yep bottom corner and against the grain, so he's moving his feet back to a more central position and its fired low back in the corner opposite to where his feet are taking him.

I played it at a reasonably low level and I can see the same bravado/fake confidence in him that i used to play with. Trying to exude confidence but unsure of himself at the same time.

In time the lad could improve yes. But what I'm failing to see is why we would want to take that risk really. This isn't a school and if you're not close to the finish product at 24 then Liverpools number 1 spot isn't the place to be learning.

We're after silverware here and to be brutal i'm more concerned about filling the cabinets than waiting to see if Karius can make the required leap.

To be fair if i had to be pushed i'd leave Karius at the club and sell Migs because Migs has no improvement in him. But Karius would be an understudy to a more adept/experienced keeper for whom he could learn from.

The situation at the moment is bonkers to me with 3 want to be number 1 goalkeepers who are all number 2 standard.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 06:37:56 am by fields of anny rd »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #645: Jan 06, 2018 04:44:24 am
      The supposed "better" keeper gave up two goals so I guess Karius did alright tonight?
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #646: Jan 06, 2018 12:47:27 pm
      I'd be happy to give Karius a run of games  TBH. Having a top class player like VVD in front of him barking orders should now make him more aware of his actions, as proved last night when VVD told him several times to come out and collect. That should give Karius the kick up the arse he needs and make him a better keeper.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,689 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #647: Jan 06, 2018 01:37:07 pm
      As many of you know, I'm was a fan of Mignolet but how can someone tells me that Karius is our answer to the keepers issues. He's not an improvement to Simon. We need to buy a new better keeper.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #648: Jan 06, 2018 04:44:36 pm
      I think Karius has the potential to become a good GK, whereas Simon won’t really improve. I’d give Karius the rest of the season if no GK was available this window but still bring a quality GK in the summers so both him an Karius compete for the position.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #649: Jan 07, 2018 07:57:29 am
      Imho !! I think Liverpool is/was too big for him.So obvious how nervous he is.
      Solution... maybe get him out on loan and give Danny Ward some minutes.I think Ward is better ( atm) than Karius.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #650: Jan 07, 2018 02:32:21 pm
      Imho !! I think Liverpool is/was too big for him.So obvious how nervous he is.
      Solution... maybe get him out on loan and give Danny Ward some minutes.I think Ward is better ( atm) than Karius.

I would love this, but it aint happening mate.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #651: Jan 07, 2018 03:42:06 pm
      First its Karius is so much better than Migs and now its Ward is better than Karius.

They're all below what we need in one way or another. Migs not going to develop.

Karius and Ward should be developing somewhere other than as or number 1 choice
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #652: Jan 14, 2018 06:05:26 pm
      Honestly don't think he's the solution to our goalkeeping issue.
      Wouldn't mind if we spend a huge chunk of Coutinho's money on a top keeper next.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #653: Jan 14, 2018 06:28:57 pm
      Disappointing for the 1st.
      No chance for 2nd.
      Would need to see 3rd again.

I'd keep him as first choice for a while longer.
      But he needs to improve before end of season, or might see both him and Migs leave.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #654: Jan 14, 2018 06:30:18 pm
      Disappointing for the 1st.
      No chance for 2nd.
      Would need to see 3rd again.

I'd keep him as first choice for a while longer.
      But he needs to improve before end of season, or might see both him and Migs leave.

He didn't even dive for the third.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #655: Jan 14, 2018 07:37:50 pm
      Goals 2 and 3 forget about them. Nlt saving them.

Goal 1 is a should save shot but when you see the replay he was nowhere near it.

Far from convinced he's any better than Migs in all honesty. I think actually hes a little worse at the shot stopping stuff and also a danger with his short kicking game. Better at coming on the crosses - maybe!

Bottom of the barrell stuff all around though for a club this size.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #656: Jan 14, 2018 08:23:34 pm
      Goals 2 and 3 forget about them. Nlt saving them.

Goal 1 is a should save shot but when you see the replay he was nowhere near it.

Goal 1, Beaten at the near post! Fundamentals not yet there.

Goals 2&3, I'll put them down to Dejan Lovren:
      (Goal 2) who steps up to take out Augero but fails, which allowed them to punch through the defence.
      (Goal 3) who fails to head out a fundamental looking cross.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #657: Jan 14, 2018 10:45:16 pm
      Joker
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #658: Jan 14, 2018 10:47:49 pm
      He's about the same level as Migs, so we really really need an upgrade, preferably this month.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #659: Jan 14, 2018 10:59:05 pm
      Two keepers on the same level, what are the chances of that.I think it's well past the time for Karius and Mignolet to go they just aren't good enough for LFC, 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #660: Jan 14, 2018 11:43:34 pm
      Goal 1, Beaten at the near post! Fundamentals not yet there.

Goals 2&3, I'll put them down to Dejan Lovren:

I initially was harsh on him for the first, and then when you don't watch it real time again think it was fairly well twatted but yeah could have done better.

Haven't lost a match with him this season and still think, although he clearly isn't one of the greatest, he is the best of our bunch.  And for a change Liverpool didn't have the worst keeper on the pitch.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #661: Jan 15, 2018 12:56:50 am
      We have two bad options but Loris catches and releases with speed that is foreign to Mignolet.

I'd keep him for that reason alone.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #662: Jan 15, 2018 01:08:44 am
      I initially was harsh on him for the first, and then when you don't watch it real time again think it was fairly well twatted but yeah could have done better.

Haven't lost a match with him this season and still think, although he clearly isn't one of the greatest, he is the best of our bunch.  And for a change Liverpool didn't have the worst keeper on the pitch.

Klopp confirmed after the game that Karius is now our number 1 keeper. I think that's the right move. If we don't manage to bring in a world-class keeper in January then it's fine giving Karius the chance until the summer. Looks like Mig's days as our number one keeper are finally over  :)
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #663: Jan 15, 2018 06:50:50 am
      I don't know why, but I think Karius has it in him. I honestly do.

Mind you, I thought Carroll could make it too.

Anyway, it's just a gut feeling. Hope I'm right this time, both for him and the club.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #664: Jan 15, 2018 07:07:53 am
      He gets word he will be #1 and shits the bed. Very similar to last time he got the nod. Hope he pulls through
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #665: Jan 15, 2018 07:16:32 am
      I don’t think the first goal was a mistake so much as it’s one that a top quality keeper saves.

Definitely my preference if the two we have and I do think he can improve.

Ultimately though.......I don’t think he’s the answer, but maybe he can prove me wrong with a run in the team.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #666: Jan 15, 2018 07:48:38 am
      Give him a run of games too find out if he can step up, we already know exactly what we are going to get with Migs.

If he can't step up then this summer a new keeper should be a priority.

Quick Reply