Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 204365 times
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #667: Jan 15, 2018 09:53:16 am
      how much of a slating would he have got for Edersons mistakes?..puts things in perspective, dont you think?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #668: Jan 15, 2018 10:23:09 am
      I don’t think the first goal was a mistake so much as it’s one that a top quality keeper saves.

Definitely my preference if the two we have and I do think he can improve.

Ultimately though.......I don’t think he’s the answer, but maybe he can prove me wrong with a run in the team.
      Karius should get a bit more time, but Ward should be given a chance.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #669: Jan 15, 2018 11:08:39 am
      The first goal was a blasty.

The only thing Karius didn't do was anticipate the pace of the shot, he should have but - what are you going to do when your defender has let the attacker in?

Deserves his run in the team and no doubt his performances will improve. He is our No.1 going forward, he needs to be given time, just like David De Gea when he first started at United.
      Kopite78
      Reply #670: Jan 15, 2018 11:19:47 am
      Karius should get a bit more time, but Ward should be given a chance.

Based on what?
      This isn't me having a go but I've been saying all year regarding Mignolet, we all know he isn't good enough but the manager sees them in training everyday and what he sees maybe Karius is no better.

From what we have seen i think thats right, so if Ward is getting no chance in front of either all year and the manager sees him everyday in training what does that tell you?

You can't just say on a gut feel or by simply the fact that we have seen enough of Mignolet and Karius that Ward must be better... sometimes you simply have to trust a manager's judgement. And we have a pretty F***ing good manager who I'm willing to trust.

What we can absolutely agree on though is that we need a new no.1 it's the only place in the team that lets us down

On Karius though, I've seen simply enough of Mignolet, I hope that's him done, for the mistake Karius made yesterday I hope he is stuck with for the remainder of the season  either to take his chance or prove beyond doubt that he isn't good enough like Mignolet has done.

The first yesterday, he gets beat at his near post, it can happen even though it shouldn't, but the biggest issue i had with it is that if he's reading the game as he should that was the only place Sane could have put it.

As Crouchy says though he moves it quicker than Mignolet which is so key to us as a side so for that and the fact Mignolet is sh*te I'd hope he gets the nod going forward

If he could start saving shots too that would be sound
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #671: Jan 15, 2018 11:34:29 am
      I don’t think the first goal was a mistake so much as it’s one that a top quality keeper saves.

Definitely my preference if the two we have and I do think he can improve.

Ultimately though.......I don’t think he’s the answer, but maybe he can prove me wrong with a run in the team.

Agree.

He could have done better in that goal because the ball went into his post, but to me that wasn’t a mistake. He did react and touch the ball it was just that it was a powerful shot made from what 5 or 6 yards? If we had another keeper like Oblak and allows a goal like this don’t think people would react the same way. Kinda like Ederson on Ox’s goal.

He deserves a run of games, and it seems he’s going to be playing for the rest of the season, I for one have more confidence when he plays than when Migs plays. Hopefully there is a keeper in there.

skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #672: Jan 15, 2018 11:41:27 am
      Give him a decent run and see if he can show he deserves to be a Liverpool number 1 keeper.  Failure to do so means let's lump on top stopper in the summer.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #673: Jan 15, 2018 11:46:08 am
      We have two bad options but Loris catches and releases with speed that is foreign to Mignolet.

That much is true!

If Karius is staying as numver 1 for the season, then we could use this time wisely and flog Mignolet back to Sunderland and start looking for a new keeper for next season.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,371 posts | 1029 
      Reply #674: Jan 15, 2018 01:16:35 pm
      I’d like to believe that Karius can improve but his reactions worry me. He has been rooted to the spot in each of his last 2 games, like he has cement in his boots. Not that you would necessarily say he should save them but he doesn’t even react.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #675: Jan 15, 2018 01:28:07 pm
      I'd leave him in now for the rest of the season. He is a Klopp signing after all and he should show a bit more faith in him. He'll either turn out to be our saviour or be gone in the summer or 2nd choice. If Migs is time is.up then it's either Karius or Ward so Karius deserves at least till the summer.
      DanMann

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #676: Jan 15, 2018 01:38:48 pm
      Impressed by the defence of Karius here. Everyone seems so keen to excuse him from conceding 3 goals..

If Mignolet had done the same I would be reading all sorts of abuse here instead.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3708 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #677: Jan 15, 2018 01:49:23 pm
      He's sh*t no other words describe him. Yes, I was fan of Mignolet but we need to sell them both and bring one very good keeper and leave Ward as the back-up.

He does not have any fundamental ideas of goal keeping. In my youths, I would have been abused if I would have conceded in the 1st goal.
      Kopite78
      Reply #678: Jan 15, 2018 01:52:15 pm
      Impressed by the defence of Karius here. Everyone seems so keen to excuse him from conceding 3 goals..

If Mignolet had done the same I would be reading all sorts of abuse here instead.

Plenty have said he was awful for the Sane goal

But everyone has seen enough of Mignolet to be thankful he's not in the side
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #679: Jan 15, 2018 03:40:08 pm

I think Migs has accumulated so many straws he's sliced a camel in half.

Karius has a few more mistakes to make before people are just fed up with him. Not many more though I must say.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #680: Jan 15, 2018 03:49:31 pm

Is Migs your brother or something?

He's a horrible keeper, Karius really isn't any better. He didn't come out to claim balls yesterday, doesn't command his box well and at least one of the goals he certainly should have stopped (Sane's) with better positioning and one of the other two a great keeper may stop, but it's really ridiculous at this point how you have such a hard on for defending Mignolet. It's like you can't just enjoy what we just accomplished...instead you have to go around picking fights about Mignolet. It's really weird.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #681: Jan 15, 2018 03:58:47 pm
      On the plus side at least Karius knew he had made a mistake such was his reaction. So at least there's a semblance of self awareness that Mignolet doesn't have.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #682: Jan 15, 2018 04:38:54 pm
      I was listening to the Totally Football Show and they were saying that Karius, like Mignolet, is getting into the wrong position/anticipating the wrong shot. They go onto mention that they look like they're suffering from poor coaching from Achterberg.

He's been mentioned before but in all honesty - are we crying out for a change of goalkeeping coach? Is it too much of a coincidence that both Mignolet and Karius are making the same mistakes? 

I'd love to know Reina's private opinions on Achterberg.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #683: Jan 15, 2018 05:09:20 pm
      Thought the lad handled himself reasonably well.
      There were some calamitous defensive errors which led to us hanging on for dear life after leading 4-1 at one point, to blame the goalkeeper entirely for the defence meltdown which has been apparent all season is folly in the extreme.
      VVD on the bench and it's as you were with our wafer thin defence.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #684: Jan 15, 2018 05:14:36 pm
      Thought the lad handled himself reasonably well.
      There were some calamitous defensive errors which led to us hanging on for dear life after leading 4-1 at one point, to blame the goalkeeper entirely for the defence meltdown which has been apparent all season is folly in the extreme.
      VVD on the bench and it's as you were with our wafer thin defence.

Annoyed with Gomez in the first goal along, less so, with Karius letting it in at the near post (though as others have noted it was struck powerfully). Lovren's play in the third goal was atrocious.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #685: Jan 15, 2018 06:03:58 pm
      We are just wasting  time is true Mignolet  makes  silly mistakes  but Karius  is not better  than Mignolet he is not the answer  to our problem
      Just buy  a proper  keeper.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #686: Jan 15, 2018 08:27:29 pm
      I was listening to the Totally Football Show and they were saying that Karius, like Mignolet, is getting into the wrong position/anticipating the wrong shot. They go onto mention that they look like they're suffering from poor coaching from Achterberg.

He's been mentioned before but in all honesty - are we crying out for a change of goalkeeping coach? Is it too much of a coincidence that both Mignolet and Karius are making the same mistakes? 

I'd love to know Reina's private opinions on Achterberg.

I'd be interested too. Had a chat with a goalkeeper and two of the analysts on the channel I watch sports on here in Belgium, were ex-goalkeepers too.

They said it was a technical error with regards to the choice he made on how to save the shot. He tried to 'dive' for it but there wasn't enough time to stretch his arms, which were too close to his body apparently. He should've been a bit closer to the post, made himself big and just lift his right arm and let it hit that arm rather than trying to dive and push the ball away with two hands because the ball was hit so hard there wasn't enough time to get both hands in position to make the kind of save he wanted to make. In the end he did get a hand to it, but it wasn't enough, the shot was an absolute rocket though.

Not sure if that makes sense, haha.

Anyway, you see goals being scored at the goalkeeper's near post on a weekly basis. These mistakes happen on a regular basis. They shouldn't happen of course and he should obviously have done better there.

With regards to his distribution, it's better than Mignolet's. There was a lot of wind yesterday and both goalkeepers were struggling with their long ball distribution at times (Karius noticably in the first half).

All in all I'm happy he's finally going to get a run in the side so we can see what he's really made of.
      « Last Edit: Jan 15, 2018 08:31:45 pm by Danzel »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #687: Jan 16, 2018 12:03:14 am

You mean akin to how you backed up Moses, even when he was stinking up the place?

Don't think he has had it easy, most are saying leave him as number 1 but unless he shows huge improvement, we need a new  keeper.  He got plenty of pelters for the  first, though Gomez deserves his share and I can't see how anyone is pinning 2 or three on him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #688: Jan 16, 2018 12:21:41 am
      Everyone seems so keen to excuse him from conceding 3 goals..

Mignolet conceded 5 against them ya beaut.
      DanMann

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #689: Jan 16, 2018 08:40:42 am
      Is Migs your brother or something?

Given that I am Daniel Sturridge, I find that hard to believe.

It's like you can't just enjoy what we just accomplished...instead you have to go around picking fights about Mignolet. It's really weird.

Slightly obsessed with that aren't you? We just beat Man City and i'm delighted with that. Karius just conceded 3 goals... not happy with that! Not picking fights at all. Just pointing out that Mignolet is the better keeper, and there is a lot of hypocrisy with how people are criticising Mignolet, but so reluctant to criticise Karius.

Hopefully we can move forward and get a World Class keeper and put both these guys behind us.

Quick Reply