Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 202340 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #713: Feb 04, 2018 10:50:41 pm
      Yeah decent, today, which is very positive. Maybe he could've caught the cross but the punch should've been enough. It travelled a long way but Can and Ox should've done better stopping the ball from getting to Wanyama and I'm sure somebody turned their back on the shot, too.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #714: Feb 04, 2018 11:35:55 pm
      Yeah decent, today, which is very positive. Maybe he could've caught the cross but the punch should've been enough. It travelled a long way but Can and Ox should've done better stopping the ball from getting to Wanyama and I'm sure somebody turned their back on the shot, too.

On today's performance I could see him becoming our long-term #1. Of course it's just one match but I was wondering if there was any potential for this before, and now I think he at least could prove himself (and no, I have no expectation of any further role at the club for Mignolet). Hopefully he can build on this performance (and re the first goal, it's down to nobody there to win the 2nd ball and  one-in-a-million strike by Victor).
      Kopite78
      Reply #715: Feb 05, 2018 08:59:26 am
      Thought he did very well yesterday, only thing I would say about the punch that led to the first goal is that if you punch rather than catch it has to be high and far or towards the touchline.
      He did neither and put it flat to the edge of his box

But overall probably his best performance for us
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #716: Feb 05, 2018 09:37:49 am
      And people were all over his back when he was barely playing before, actually saying they preferred Mignolet. Embarrassing.

Good to see him coming on and putting in better performances with regular playing time. We don't half have some fickle fans these days though.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #717: Feb 05, 2018 10:01:44 am
      I wasn't too keen on this fella after the Spartak away game. Glad to be proved otherwise. One of his better performances and  infinitely better than Mignolet's as he stopped shots, punched away crosses, tried to distribute early. I don't want to read too much into the punch that led to the first goal (Could Can have done better or was the time too short to react?) and the punch of the penalty save(thankfully, the second ball didn't prove costly). Overall a much improved performance and I hope he continues to improve.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #718: Feb 05, 2018 01:49:03 pm
      Thought he did very well yesterday, only thing I would say about the punch that led to the first goal is that if you punch rather than catch it has to be high and far or towards the touchline.
      He did neither and put it flat to the edge of his box

But overall probably his best performance for us

If you watch his position, he has to stand closer to the front post than normal because Van Dijk and Lovren fail to get across and cover it. This means when he contacts the ball he dives backwards which is usually a big no as a goalkeeper. He does very well to get it out of the box when diving backwards, no way was that his fault. He did his part, needed the defence or midfield to stop the ball coming back his way.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #719: Feb 05, 2018 01:55:53 pm
      I don’t place any blame on him for the goals.

Yes he could have punched it further / higher but - as someone who boxed for 15+ years - it’s not an exact science hitting a moving target with one hand......never mind two!

He cleared the immediate danger area and was entitled to expect more help from his defence / midfield.

The strike was a worldy and - contrary to Sky and their obsession with the EPL - he has form. Saw him do that a few times for Celtic.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #720: Feb 05, 2018 02:59:06 pm
      Very impressive display, shame he couldn't have saved the second pen, that would have given him instant God status I think.

It looks like the combination of him and VVD is working well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #721: Feb 05, 2018 03:33:35 pm
      Very impressive display, shame he couldn't have saved the second pen, that would have given him instant God status I think.

That would have been something else.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #722: Feb 05, 2018 03:45:28 pm
      I don’t place any blame on him for the goals.

Yes he could have punched it further / higher but - as someone who boxed for 15+ years - it’s not an exact science hitting a moving target with one hand......never mind two!

He cleared the immediate danger area and was entitled to expect more help from his defence / midfield.

The strike was a worldy and - contrary to Sky and their obsession with the EPL - he has form. Saw him do that a few times for Celtic.

Entirely agree Al and said so in the match thread in the first half, the lad could not have done more than he did for any of the goals, plus he did make some very passable saves.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #723: Feb 05, 2018 05:31:00 pm

We would be asking for a miracle in the sense that it was impossible to save two with that second strike.

Well done Karius.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #724: Feb 05, 2018 06:02:14 pm
      Knew Mo would walk the MOTM vote on here especially after goal two ..... awesome.

So I was surprised and pleased when I voted for Lorius to see that he was second in the voting.

Lad had a good game.  No one good have stopped Spuds first goal ... that was a Stevie special.

Stood up to face two pens and saved one.

Was it Lawro or Toothy who said on MOTD that Karius he could have punched away the first to one side. It was a split second reaction and would have normally dropped by the law of averages and numbers to a defender.

Felt far more confident than with Migs whose bags I would liked to see packed in the summer ... with Danny moving up to No 2.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #725: Feb 06, 2018 10:43:34 pm
      Thought he had a good game, if he hadn't have punched that ball straight out, I would have given him my MOTM.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #726: Feb 07, 2018 12:13:37 am
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/06/loris-karius-determined-to-keep-goalkeeping-spot-liverpool

Good piece on him here with some interesting comments about how Liverpool goalkeepers are under increased scrutiny, in part because of how they are inactive for long stretches of the match.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #727: Feb 11, 2018 06:51:04 pm
      Good job today by Karius. Just needs to have 50,000 odd folk at Anfield to stop griping every time we play at home and then he'll have a career at this club, whether as number one or two, that's up to him.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #728: Feb 11, 2018 07:56:22 pm
      Well done again to Karius. Another good performance and clean sheet.

Hope Jürgen doesn't rotate Migs back in for Porto.  Surely not..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #729: Feb 11, 2018 08:20:40 pm
      My MOTM . Kept us ahead with 2 brilliant saves.  Well done Loris.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #730: Feb 11, 2018 08:50:05 pm
      Has to play against Porto. Mig made the complaint about rotation, he should be happy that the no.1 is playing regularly.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #731: Feb 11, 2018 08:59:40 pm
      Well played lad, hair is still sh*te
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #732: Feb 11, 2018 09:51:41 pm
      Hope Jürgen doesn't rotate Migs back in for Porto.  Surely not..

Going to be interesting.  I feel like he's backed himself into a corner that he's going to have to play Mignolet which, lets face it, means curtains for any outside chance of us going on to win that competition.

Interesting that he's been placed second in the last two MOTM polls on the forum as well.  Take that as a positive.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #733: Feb 11, 2018 09:55:58 pm
      Well played lad, hair is still sh*te

Been better with sh*te hair though. Keep it up!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #734: Feb 11, 2018 10:02:29 pm
      Going to be interesting.  I feel like he's backed himself into a corner that he's going to have to play Mignolet which, lets face it, means curtains for any outside chance of us going on to win that competition.

Interesting that he's been placed second in the last two MOTM polls on the forum as well.  Take that as a positive.

I thought when Karius was finally made number 1 that was the end of the matter. Number 1 for Premier and Champions League matches no?

Granted, it contradicts what Klopp said about Mignolet when he was dropped for the Arsenal game at the start of the season saying that keepers need 'rest time' or words to that effect. But then again, wasn't that just cover for him punishing Mignolet for staying up all night to watch a boxing match?

I personally think that Klopp had always planned to do this - stick with one entirely for the second half of the season while giving both the opportunity to display what they had to in the first.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #735: Feb 11, 2018 10:02:56 pm
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2018 10:07:36 pm by JD »

Quick Reply