Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 202441 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #897: May 04, 2018 10:42:09 am
      Doing grand kid - keep it up.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #898: May 04, 2018 11:51:15 am
      Don't understand the hype around the parried shot that led to a goal.

The shot didn't have enough power to punch up or out, and it wasn't close enough to him to safely catch. His only option was to try and parry it away from goal which he did. Unfortunately, an unmarked striker was able to intercept it. As a goalkeeper myself I wouldn't have done anything differently.

For those saying he should have "pushed it around the post", just think logically what that would involve. That would mean deliberately saving the shot with a tiny fraction of force whilst opening up his wrists and hands to a near impossible angle considering the shot was from an acute angle. That's not something that's easy to do with a fast moving ball and would be unsafe in my opinion. Shots must always be saved with strong, safe hands.

I also don't ever remember being coached to ever do that. Always away from goal with as much force as you can if you can't catch. Then you're relying on your defence doing their jobs.

Steve McManaman isn't a goalkeeper, nor a defender, and is a hyperbolic whinger who clearly hates a certain few players. He creates these sort of reactions. Really wish he'd stop.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #899: May 04, 2018 12:59:15 pm
      1 very simple rule for any keeper is DONT PARRY THE BALL BACK INTO OPEN PLAY

If its cant be held or turned around the posts get a strong  hand and push it away towards the sideline. He palmed it straight to there main striker.

If that was a keeper of another club id laugh at that mistake. But as Liverpool keeper its no laughing matter.

How would you all feel if he does thst v Madrid and the goal they get wins it for them?? Youll feel a lot different Id bet
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #900: May 04, 2018 01:19:40 pm
      When Migs was in the team, was sweeping keeping the real problem and reason why we conceded stupid goals? It wasn't, was it? So imagine an Oblak who is 100x the player Migs is? And not like he is slow like Migs, Forster, Butland etc.

Good point mate, gets a bit overplayed for me this sweeper keeper stuff. To me it just means having a keeper who is quick to get off his line and clear things when the defence is playing very high. It might mean playing the occasional first time pass (5 a side style) to another player in Red but that's about it in truth. I can see why Pep wanted rid of Joe Hart because he is slow and clumsy with the ball at his feet but it doesn't mean your so called sweeper has to be some sort of two-footed libero who should have been an outfield player.

As for Karius, I think he has done alright but long-term I look at the quality some of our rivals have in goal and know that we need similar quality between the sticks at Anfield.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #901: May 04, 2018 03:35:21 pm
      Don't understand the hype around the parried shot that led to a goal.

The shot didn't have enough power to punch up or out, and it wasn't close enough to him to safely catch. His only option was to try and parry it away from goal which he did. Unfortunately, an unmarked striker was able to intercept it. As a goalkeeper myself I wouldn't have done anything differently.

For those saying he should have "pushed it around the post", just think logically what that would involve. That would mean deliberately saving the shot with a tiny fraction of force whilst opening up his wrists and hands to a near impossible angle considering the shot was from an acute angle. That's not something that's easy to do with a fast moving ball and would be unsafe in my opinion. Shots must always be saved with strong, safe hands.

I also don't ever remember being coached to ever do that. Always away from goal with as much force as you can if you can't catch. Then you're relying on your defence doing their jobs.

Steve McManaman isn't a goalkeeper, nor a defender, and is a hyperbolic whinger who clearly hates a certain few players. He creates these sort of reactions. Really wish he'd stop.

Yeah those are tough and tough for people to understand why that cant be puahed around the post. There are however goalkeepers out there who could have parried that away more strongly and despite the lack of pace on the ball, further away.

It was pretty tame really, that's why me and you aren't professional because we would do exactly the same, but lots of keepers at top level would het further distance on that through the strength in their wrists.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #902: May 04, 2018 04:18:16 pm
      Yeah those are tough and tough for people to understand why that cant be puahed around the post. There are however goalkeepers out there who could have parried that away more strongly and despite the lack of pace on the ball, further away.

It was pretty tame really, that's why me and you aren't professional because we would do exactly the same, but lots of keepers at top level would het further distance on that through the strength in their wrists.

Have to agree with this, watch it back a few times. I don't see a keeper like De Gea dealing with that shot in the same way, I really don't.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #903: May 04, 2018 04:30:17 pm
      DeGea and Neuer are not for sale and only DeGea has done it in the Premiership. There is an old saying "be careful what you wish for"
      The lad is 24 and will improve and seeing as this is Klopps philosophy to improve players I cant see him dropping him and paying £50 mil for a goalkeeper it aint going to happen.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #904: May 04, 2018 04:34:48 pm
      https://youtu.be/HviRmLHMMSY
      Goalkeeprs evolve given time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #905: May 04, 2018 04:49:10 pm
      Walton with a good point. I  remember when De Gea was roundly mocked for some of his play. I'd take him in a heartbeat now even being a Manc. Let's hope Karius has the same sort of career trajectory because that would be excellent. However, if Klopp wants to spend the money on a world class keeper...I'm ok with that too.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #906: May 04, 2018 07:20:05 pm
      I am not saying he is the answer but Goalkeepers can go from Hero to Zero in a single game and other than DeGea I haven't seen one of them who will guarantee us what he does for UTD.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #907: May 04, 2018 08:01:33 pm
      Have to agree with this, watch it back a few times. I don't see a keeper like De Gea dealing with that shot in the same way, I really don't.

I betcha even Migs can at least tip a weak shot over the net  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBSxy2dsgJU

Point is, as i've pointed out before, no goalie is ever error-free, but what we have seen from Karius, in the bigger picture, has been terrific.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #908: May 04, 2018 08:24:13 pm
      I am not saying he is the answer but Goalkeepers can go from Hero to Zero in a single game and other than DeGea I haven't seen one of them who will guarantee us what he does for UTD.

De Gea is undoubtedly the best in the league, probably world football, and is the probably the biggest reason those idiots at United win things and stay near the top of the table. Some of the stuff he comes up with is amazing, but he's not for sale so we need to find the next-best solution and we pretty much have it right now.

When's the last time we said "Karius cost us points tonight"? Definitely not this season. If anything, he has won us points with his performances, like at Everton where he made that world-class save against Bolasie that ended up 0-0, or the amazing save against Newcastle at Anfield right before half time to preserve the 1-0 lead. He's also good at quick-starting the attack, and his distribution ability has led to a few goals for us as well.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #909: May 04, 2018 10:08:37 pm

Once again to this argument. De Gea at Karius' age now was workd class. De Gea was dodgy as a skinny 19/year old boy. Not at 25/25.

He's not that young anymore.

I loke his profile over Mignolet that he comes out but make no mistake our defence still doesnt trust this one either.
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2018 10:15:32 pm by fields of anny rd »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #910: May 04, 2018 10:43:08 pm
      Once again to this argument. De Gea at Karius' age now was workd class. De Gea was dodgy as a skinny 19/year old boy. Not at 25/25.

He's not that young anymore.

I loke his profile over Mignolet that he comes out but make no mistake our defence still doesnt trust this one either.

Stats for Premier League.

De Gea                    Karius
      Games Played              35.                          17
      Clean Sheets               17                            9
      Goal Against                27                           13

Maybe not as sh*te as you think!                         

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #911: May 05, 2018 01:19:03 am

I wouldnt say sh*te just not a title winning keeper.

I honestly dont think people are thinking big enough here.

Interesting stats above i guess but I think if you offered every club the chance to sign 1 of them every club would sign De Gea irrespective of that. Whats the save %s looking like out of interest?

Not saying De Gea is for sale, not saying we can get anyone of his quality in but just from watching the game with my eyes, seeing our man flap at shots and his unhappy habbit of clattering into strikers puts huge question marks against him and his decision making.

If we want to move from being a very dangerous cup team into league winners we will have to improve the squad.

The two first team players that stand out to be improved upon are Lovren and Karius IMO.

I'm sure there's a stat that says Lovren has had a great season but he hasn't.

I sincerely hope we learn from the mistakes we made after 05 where we didnt make the most of the position we had put ourselves in.

Said it elsewhere but world class players will be watching what we are doing in Europe and will want a piece of the action. We can attract some of Europes best. We can keep the likes of Karius and Lovren happy by merely keeping them in the squad.

We have to build depth and build it well. The best way to do that is to not replace Mignolet with another backup but to sell Mignolet and challenge Karius with a genuine contender.

We do not need to be cutting corners at this stage. Build the squad and build it well. The foundations are there for success on an even bigger scale than a pop at Real Madrid and then to go back to obscurity.

The spine of a team is there, it just needs a few more players and we can push for League titles too. We have to have a bigger/better squad for that though.

Whatever the result in Kiev the club shop has got to open the next day. (Day after Istanbul club shop was shut) We have to - in every facet of the club, use this as a step towards greatness.

I am confident a new keeper will come in and Mignolet will depart and it will be the calibre of that new keeper that will indicate what we are looking to achieve next season.

Oblak for me.
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2018 01:23:16 am by fields of anny rd »
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #912: May 05, 2018 03:49:41 am
      I wouldnt say sh*te just not a title winning keeper.

I honestly dont think people are thinking big enough here.

Interesting stats above i guess but I think if you offered every club the chance to sign 1 of them every club would sign De Gea irrespective of that. Whats the save %s looking like out of interest?

Not saying De Gea is for sale, not saying we can get anyone of his quality in but just from watching the game with my eyes, seeing our man flap at shots and his unhappy habbit of clattering into strikers puts huge question marks against him and his decision making.

If we want to move from being a very dangerous cup team into league winners we will have to improve the squad.

The two first team players that stand out to be improved upon are Lovren and Karius IMO.

I'm sure there's a stat that says Lovren has had a great season but he hasn't.

I sincerely hope we learn from the mistakes we made after 05 where we didnt make the most of the position we had put ourselves in.

Said it elsewhere but world class players will be watching what we are doing in Europe and will want a piece of the action. We can attract some of Europes best. We can keep the likes of Karius and Lovren happy by merely keeping them in the squad.

We have to build depth and build it well. The best way to do that is to not replace Mignolet with another backup but to sell Mignolet and challenge Karius with a genuine contender.

We do not need to be cutting corners at this stage. Build the squad and build it well. The foundations are there for success on an even bigger scale than a pop at Real Madrid and then to go back to obscurity.

The spine of a team is there, it just needs a few more players and we can push for League titles too. We have to have a bigger/better squad for that though.

Whatever the result in Kiev the club shop has got to open the next day. (Day after Istanbul club shop was shut) We have to - in every facet of the club, use this as a step towards greatness.

I am confident a new keeper will come in and Mignolet will depart and it will be the calibre of that new keeper that will indicate what we are looking to achieve next season.

Oblak for me.

As pointed above, Athletico does not play the way we do. Thinking Oblak will lift us to the next level just because he has clean sheets in a defensive Athletico is knee jerk at best to me. If you're gonna come up with a goalkeeper, then atleast give a name who is actually playing in an attacking team.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #913: May 05, 2018 09:52:14 am

I think the point is Jürgen definitely does not think he is sh*te and I would be very surprised if he spends a lot of money on a goalkeeper this summer. if Mignolet goes then he may look for a back up but not a big signing unless Neuer or DeGea suddenly become available.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #914: May 05, 2018 10:19:19 am
      He's deserved a full season in goals as our number 1
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #915: May 05, 2018 11:20:47 am
      Don't have a problem with Loris nor what he's done so far.

Massive improvement on Migs.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #916: May 05, 2018 12:08:04 pm
      Not the worst keeper youll see but not one wholl help land a league title i  my opinion.

Dont forget the Kolarov shot 1st leg that he totally lost flight of, not the first time that happenned in the season.

For me would be a solid enough number 2 but if we hope to end the title famine does anyone hand on heart think hes the one?

Didnt Hendo have a go at him after the game Wednesday in front of the supporters. That suggests hes not over the moon with him either
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #917: May 06, 2018 01:47:21 am
      Not the worst keeper youll see but not one wholl help land a league title i  my opinion.

Dont forget the Kolarov shot 1st leg that he totally lost flight of, not the first time that happenned in the season.

For me would be a solid enough number 2 but if we hope to end the title famine does anyone hand on heart think hes the one?

Didnt Hendo have a go at him after the game Wednesday in front of the supporters. That suggests hes not over the moon with him either

Hendo had a go at him in the game too for not coming off his line to claim a ball over the top. Which is fair enough.

Had a go at him after the game for not staying down the middle on the penalty. That I don’t agree with; Hendo is neither a keeper or the one coaching the keepers. Someone would have gone through with Karius, where their recent penalty takers go. Not Hendo’s place to be slating him for that. Chances are he wouldn’t have saved it anyway because that was rifled into the net, can’t see many, if any keepers stopping that one. Instead, He should have been onto the ref over why it was given in the first place.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #918: May 26, 2018 09:29:51 pm
      Its enough for me. I've had it with this lad. Enough is enough. This is a bad joke ffs
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #919: May 26, 2018 09:42:56 pm
      May your mistakes tonight haunt you for the rest of your career if not life.

Just get out of our club and take Mignolet with you when you go.

Quick Reply