Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

iPhone - Are you getting one?

Read 133651 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: iPhone - Are you getting one?
      Reply #92: Jun 13, 2009 12:09:34 pm
      A 3MP camera overI was a bit worried when I heard the new phone was coming out because I haven't long had my iPhone but now - to be honest - I'm fairly pleased that I will be getting most of the upgraded features for free next week and won't have to shell out extra for the new version.

I didn't know that actually, that the extra features are coming in an update.

To be fair, by the time my upgrade comes around I should be able to get the new iPhone with relative ease (November) so it won't make much of a difference. I think the upgraded memory will be handy for me though. I've got about 25Gb of tunes on the PC and I swap and change regularly on my current 4Gb memory on my phone.

Plus the updated speeds of the OS won't make much difference either as I haven't really messed about with a current one too much. ;)

Should still be good though and the better thing I think is that I can buy the Missus a 3G one on Pay and Go a little cheaper.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #93: Jun 14, 2009 12:44:45 am
      Most of the improvements are in the operating system.  So current iPhone 3G users will be able to take all the battery life/speed enhancements from that.

MMS is also coming to the existing iPhone via the software update.

It will all happen on the 17th June.

So what has the new iPhone got that the current one hasn't?

A 3MP camera over a 2MP camera? Big wow.  To be honest even 5MP cameraphones are sh*te when placed next to a small digital camera so I will stick with my camera anyway.  Same goes for video.  Not something I use on a phone - and if I did want to video things I would again use a digital camera which are far better and a similar size.

What else has the new iPhone 3GS got? An in-built magnetometer. sh*t - great - just what I wanted!

I was a bit worried when I heard the new phone was coming out because I haven't long had my iPhone but now - to be honest - I'm fairly pleased that I will be getting most of the upgraded features for free next week and won't have to shell out extra for the new version.

Just my opinion mind.

(Oh and it's still better than a Blackberry by the way. Court, I thought you had learned your lesson after having an Xbox 360?) ;)

This isn't over John.  Not by a long shot.  ;)

In response to CRK & JD, I didn't know an update was coming either with all the same features.  Still!  It has video recording which I do use spare of the moment when it's in my pocket.  Very handy BTW.

My current camera is 2MP, and it takes decent enough shots.  I'll be heading in to the reviews and all the other sad stuff like watching people unbox them. 

It's the voice control that's got me hooked in.  The downside is probably that you will have to record it in your own commands with your voice, because they made it so simple and cheesy, as the Americans normally do.  I didn't see any extra small print on the video though...
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #94: Jun 14, 2009 09:15:42 am
      It's the voice control that's got me hooked in.  The downside is probably that you will have to record it in your own commands with your voice, because they made it so simple and cheesy, as the Americans normally do.  I didn't see any extra small print on the video though...

More than likely. Same as many phones. :D

Not Apple though. They'd never ever let us down! :D ;)

That Genius thing is a bit sh*t though if I may add. I was messing about on my Missus's iPod Nano and it groups Kings of Leon with Celine Dion. Utter tw*t. >:(
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #95: Jun 14, 2009 08:25:01 pm
      Obviously the OS 3.0 update on the 17th won't convert my camera to 3MP or let me take video but pretty much everything else will be in it.

It's free for iPhone owners - iPod Touch owners can update their OS to 3.0 for £5.99 on the same day.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,511 posts | 2873 
      Reply #96: Jun 14, 2009 08:29:20 pm
      Obviously the OS 3.0 update on the 17th won't convert my camera to 3MP or let me take video but pretty much everything else will be in it.

It's free for iPhone owners - iPod Touch owners can update their OS to 3.0 for £5.99 on the same day.

Would you say the update for the iPod Touch would be worth it?

Any really significant changes?
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #97: Jun 15, 2009 05:45:39 am
      Not this time.

I bought an original iPhone and the 3G but I am going to wait a few more months so maybe the upgrade price will decrease below $200
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #98: Jun 15, 2009 10:05:40 am
      Would you say the update for the iPod Touch would be worth it?

Any really significant changes?

Depends what you use your iPod Touch for really.  If you ever use email or browsing then I'd say it would be worth it.  You can cut, copy and paste and things like that plus the operating system will be quicker.  Quite a lot of the new games will take advantage of the new features.  And whereas for things like Skype or the goal alerts etc you had to be logged in to the program, from this update they can run in the background.  So getting an instant message will just be like getting a text message.

I reckon £6 for the iPod Touch update is well worth it.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #99: Jun 15, 2009 10:34:29 am
      Anybody know what internet access costs per minute on these phones, i probably wont buy one if you have to pay to use email and browsing.
      Think it would be a lot easier to use my psp which links wirelessly from my living room.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #100: Jun 15, 2009 02:24:07 pm
      Anybody know what internet access costs per minute on these phones, i probably wont buy one if you have to pay to use email and browsing.
      Think it would be a lot easier to use my psp which links wirelessly from my living room.

Wi-Fi is obviously free.

My phone is on contract and internet usage over 3G is free and unlimited.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #101: Jun 17, 2009 01:52:14 pm
      iPhone OS 3.0 is probably going to be released at about 4pm today for iPhone and iPod Touch users.

God I've missed MMS.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,511 posts | 2873 
      Reply #102: Jun 17, 2009 05:19:43 pm
      What's the main features in this update for Touch users?

I don't think it's worth £7.99 or whatever just so I can use a landscape keyboard or to do a 'spotlight search'.

Anything better in the update?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #103: Jun 17, 2009 05:39:55 pm
      What's the main features in this update for Touch users?

I don't think it's worth £7.99 or whatever just so I can use a landscape keyboard or to do a 'spotlight search'.

Anything better in the update?

I think it's £5.99.

Depends what you use your iPod Touch for really.  If you ever use email or browsing then I'd say it would be worth it.  You can cut, copy and paste and things like that plus the operating system will be quicker.  Quite a lot of the new games will take advantage of the new features.  And whereas for things like Skype or the goal alerts etc you had to be logged in to the program, from this update they can run in the background.  So getting an instant message will just be like getting a text message.

I reckon £6 for the iPod Touch update is well worth it.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,511 posts | 2873 
      Reply #104: Jun 17, 2009 05:44:43 pm
      ^^^ Thanks.

I do use it for email and browsing a fair bit when I'm on the move and I'm liking that programs can run in the background.

Will probably go and get it now.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #105: Jun 17, 2009 05:47:42 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #106: Jun 17, 2009 05:49:10 pm
      It will but the update will be carried out when you plug your iPhone / iPod Touch in to iTunes.

Supposed to be today.  Constant rumours all day about the time of release.  6pm, unsurprisingly, is the next one to look out for.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #107: Jun 17, 2009 06:13:53 pm
      OS 3.0 now live on iTunes.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #108: Jun 17, 2009 06:18:08 pm

Let us know what it's like if you get it.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #109: Jun 17, 2009 06:49:28 pm
      I am downloading it now.

I am interested to see how copy/paste works on this thing
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #110: Jun 17, 2009 06:53:55 pm
      I am downloading it now.

I am interested to see how copy/paste works on this thing

Apple iPhone 3GS Guided Tour and features

It's demonstrated on that video, if you need to see it!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #111: Jun 17, 2009 06:59:23 pm
      Already seems quicker. Sent my first MMS - missed that.    Copy and paste is pretty clever.  And the spotlight search is one of the best features.  Searches all your music, emails, texts, contacts. Very quick as well.

The response time on the camera seems quicker as well.

Can now connect to all Bluetooth devices and has a feature whereby if my phone gets nicked I can remotely wipe the phone and all information on it.  You can also track where your iPhone is if you want to go and do some vigilante sh*t! ;)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #112: Jun 17, 2009 10:12:49 pm

Can now connect to all Bluetooth devices and has a feature whereby if my phone gets nicked I can remotely wipe the phone and all information on it. 

Make sure, whatever you do, you don't start wondering if that 'works' after you've had a few pints.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #113: Jun 18, 2009 01:55:02 am
      Already seems quicker. Sent my first MMS - missed that.    Copy and paste is pretty clever.  And the spotlight search is one of the best features.  Searches all your music, emails, texts, contacts. Very quick as well.

The response time on the camera seems quicker as well.

Can now connect to all Bluetooth devices and has a feature whereby if my phone gets nicked I can remotely wipe the phone and all information on it.  You can also track where your iPhone is if you want to go and do some vigilante sh*t! ;)

That's class!

I'd well go all vigilante if it got robbed.  Superb.

If you want to upgrade to a 3GS, and you're already on an iPhone contract, here's how...

Upgrading to the new iPhone 3G S

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paymonth.html

Existing Pay Monthly customers have the following options for upgrading
      to iPhone 3G S:

Option 1 - wait until eligible for an upgrade.
      All O2 Pay Monthly customers are part of O2 Priority List and those paying £35 or more a month, have the opportunity to upgrade early. Customers won't have to see out the full term of their existing contract before being eligible for an upgrade.

* All customers continually spending over a minimum of £80.00 a month, receive a 6 month early upgrade
          * All customers continually spending over a minimum of £50.00 a month, receive a 3 month early upgrade
          * All customers continually spending a minimum of £35.00 a month, receive a 1 month early upgrade

Terms apply. For more information on O2 Priority List click here.

Existing iPhone customers will, however, enjoy iPhone OS 3.0 software which will be free to download to all iPhone customers offering over 100 new features.

For iPhone 3G customers this includes the much anticipated MMS and also internet tethering (using your iPhone as a modem - also available from 19 June). Find out more.

Option 2 - purchase the iPhone 3G S on Pay & Go from 19 June. You can give your existing iPhone 3G to someone you know.

Pay Monthly customers can place their existing iPhone 3G sim card into the iPhone 3G S and receive all the latest functionality. Customers must continue to pay for their existing Pay Monthly tariff.

Option 3 - pay the remainder of their monthly line rental in one payment and sign a new Pay Monthly contract.

iPhone 3G subject to availability. Connection subject to status, credit check ,direct debit and minimum term contract. Data usage whilst roaming not included. Unlimited Wi-Fi included in your tariff is available at any of the Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud and BT Openzone. Excessive usage policy applies. Inclusive minutes can be used for calls to standard UK landlines (starting 01, 02 or 03) and all UK network mobiles. It excludes calls to non-geographic numbers (starting 05, 08), 07744 and 07755 numbers and premium rate (09) numbers. View terms for details. Standard calls made in the UK outside of your allowance cost 19.6p per minute and UK text messages cost 11.7p each. Full terms apply.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #114: Jun 18, 2009 04:59:51 am
      I think I am going to pass on this phone. I went back and forth today and whether to spend the money on the upgrade but it is just too much.

I mean, is it really worth it to spend $599 (that is the phone I would want) on a phone that really wouldn't be such a HUGE upgrade for me? I don't think so.

I am happy about the 3.0 software and about the HOPEFUL upgrades to the networks so I should be good to go for the next year

I figure the next iPhone in another year will be worth getting :)

Quick Reply