Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 197261 times
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #207: Dec 12, 2016 09:27:32 am
      I'm very confused about Gini, everytime I watched MOTD last season he was in amongst the goals for Newcastle but now he doesn't attack awfully well and isn't the best aat sheilding the back 4? I can see he has the technique and ability but isn't producing enough to warrant being selected each game for me.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #208: Dec 12, 2016 09:45:37 am
      I asked after the first game why we signed him and he's still shown nothing to warrant us spending £25m

He's not a bad player by any means but so far he's offered little.

His shooting is F***ing dreadful as well!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #209: Dec 12, 2016 09:57:15 am
      Where are the goals at? I know he plays a bit deeper but when he gets in there his shooting is very tame. Always a good yard wide or weak at the keeper. The guy looked a threat for Newcastle last season and was named Dutch player of the year the season previous to that. I know the Dutch aren't great anymore but he must have some pedigree.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #210: Dec 12, 2016 10:01:58 am
      Where are the goals at? I know he plays a bit deeper but when he gets in there his shooting is very tame. Always a good yard wide or weak at the keeper. The guy looked a threat for Newcastle last season and was named Dutch player of the year the season previous to that. I know the Dutch aren't great anymore but he must have some pedigree.

At least he's getting into those positions, is what I would say. He's looking more of a threat than some of his team mates around him.

It isn't coming off for him at the moment but if keeps getting into those positions then sooner or later I'm hopeful he'll start doing the business.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #211: Dec 12, 2016 10:08:50 am
      At least he's getting into those positions, is what I would say. He's looking more of a threat than some of his team mates around him.

It isn't coming off for him at the moment but if keeps getting into those positions then sooner or later I'm hopeful he'll start doing the business.

Yup,

I think if he is paired with better midfielders around him he will do a lot better.

His passing is good, which allows the team to keep a good attacking rhythm.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #212: Dec 12, 2016 10:36:56 am
      Lads class only a matter of time in my view.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,159 posts | 261 
      Reply #213: Dec 12, 2016 02:10:34 pm

Agree mate. I'm optimist re his attacking side of the game. But not sure it's Klopp instruction him not track back deep to help defense, even Adam always track back when defend all the time (I'm not sure but thought original starting position Wijnaldum will start deeper than Adam, please correct me if I'm wrong). Wijnaldum as a CM he's definitely have to track back and help defend. Last time I saw him play for Netherland (vs France a few months back if my memory right) I think he play the deepest midfield like Hendo for us recently (and I don't think Gini play well there) so I'm full of expect to see him involve more through the middle attack and defend.   
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #214: Dec 14, 2016 11:34:44 pm
      Just not clicking for him at the moment and the assist in the build up to the second goal masked a poor overall display.

Kopite78
      Reply #215: Dec 15, 2016 09:47:01 am
      Just not clicking for him at the moment and the assist in the build up to the second goal masked a poor overall display.

I'm not sure mate

See him live he offers much more than through the postage box view of the tv

I'll be honest when we signed him I thought we were buying a no.10 type or someone who could play wide forward, as it turns out what we have brought is probably the most selfless player in the side who will graft, press and recycle possession. He has lovely quick feet and he will continue to get better, either with assists himself or that odd type of player who assists the assist
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #216: Dec 19, 2016 10:23:10 pm
      Worked hard tonight, but still think he's missing an edge from his game, or maybe just lacking a bit of confidence. Didn't do badly, but reckon once Can is match fit, he'll be back in.  Gino needs to go balls out a bit more.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #217: Dec 20, 2016 01:37:06 am
      Worked hard tonight, but still think he's missing an edge from his game, or maybe just lacking a bit of confidence. Didn't do badly, but reckon once Can is match fit, he'll be back in.  Gino needs to go balls out a bit more.

I think there's more to come from Wijnaldum, but really can't see Can taking his place. Even if Gini has lacked an edge at times, particularly when closer to the opposition's goal, for me he's much more suited to the sort of passing game we try to play - always a classy first touch, good movement, quick feet, good passing. Can, in my opinion, is not on the same wavelength, and his introduction tonight was probably a mistake in hindsight.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #218: Dec 20, 2016 02:19:31 am
      I think there's more to come from Wijnaldum, but really can't see Can taking his place. Even if Gini has lacked an edge at times, particularly when closer to the opposition's goal, for me he's much more suited to the sort of passing game we try to play - always a classy first touch, good movement, quick feet, good passing. Can, in my opinion, is not on the same wavelength, and his introduction tonight was probably a mistake in hindsight.

I think Can is a good option for if we ever want to play match ups in the middle of the park. Say against United with Fellaini for example. He still needs to work on offloading the ball quicker and making quicker decisions but that'll come in time.

I wasn't too impressed with the start Wijnaldum made to the game tonight but he grew into the game nicely. He seems a bit hesitant to go into a challenge, he sometimes just dangles a leg out and that could get him seriously hurt.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #219: Dec 20, 2016 12:55:55 pm

Agreed.

Good footballer.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #220: Dec 20, 2016 07:16:41 pm

I think Can is a good option for if we ever want to play match ups in the middle of the park. Say against United with Fellaini for example. He still needs to work on offloading the ball quicker and making quicker decisions but that'll come in time.

I wasn't too impressed with the start Wijnaldum made to the game tonight but he grew into the game nicely. He seems a bit hesitant to go into a challenge, he sometimes just dangles a leg out and that could get him seriously hurt.

Completely agree with both of you. Thought some of the critisism he got in the live match thread was a bit over the top. He didn't have a great first half, but neither did Henderson and Lallana. Both Klavan and Lovren had to bail us out numerous times. Lallana and Wijnaldum are lightweights, but they're brilliant in tight spaces and have great one touch passing. That's the way we play. The main problem I have with Can is that he always needs at least two touches to get the ball where he wants it and when he tries to play one touch football, his passing is usually not top notch. That may not be a problem when playing in a lower position (Henderson's) but when we're high on the pitch and trying to play our way through two defensive lines, it is a problem.

He was much better in the second half and made some difficult stuff look easier than it is. He often had two or three players surrounding him, but always got out of it. He keeps things moving and I think he's a very important player. With regards to his shooting and his lack of goals, I'm not too bothered. People are too focused on his numbers for Newcastle and PSV. He isn't playing in the same position. People should have a look at the goals he scored. Pretty much all of them come from inside the box because of his well timed runs and quick, incisive passing around the box. He plays a bit lower for us, but he is still getting in the right positions and we always look dangerous when he arrives in the box. That's the most important thing for me, as long as he keeps getting in the right positions, the goals will follow, I'm sure.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #221: Dec 22, 2016 03:47:15 pm
      I'm not sure mate

See him live he offers much more than through the postage box view of the tv

I'll be honest when we signed him I thought we were buying a no.10 type or someone who could play wide forward, as it turns out what we have brought is probably the most selfless player in the side who will graft, press and recycle possession. He has lovely quick feet and he will continue to get better, either with assists himself or that odd type of player who assists the assist

Completely agree mate.  I think a lot of his work goes unnoticed, but that doesn't mean it isn't important.  I see him a bit like Makelele in the sense that what he does is under appreciated because it isn't flashy or exciting. 

As you mention, he has wonderfully quick feet and is great at retaining the ball in tight spaces.  He also puts in a shift on the defensive side of the ball and our trio of Hendo-Gini-Lallana have dominated the midfield battle in almost every game this season. 

What impresses me most are his vision and spatial awareness.  He is always making little double moves off the ball to create pockets of space where he can become a passing option for a teammate.  Most players have a tendency to get sucked towards the ball and only move with the general rhythm of play, but Gini has a knack for peeling off his marker and ghosting into spaces that no one expects him to occupy.  This has been a critical component to our dominance of possession in most games this season. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #222: Dec 31, 2016 10:38:45 pm
      Fantastic player. I was unsure at first but ever since watching him live for the first time - vs Spurs in the League Cup - he has only grown in my estimation. It has nothing to do with the goal, by the way, though that was nice - he's just a very good all round footballer.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #223: Dec 31, 2016 11:09:58 pm
      Fantastic player. I was unsure at first but ever since watching him live for the first time - vs Spurs in the League Cup - he has only grown in my estimation. It has nothing to do with the goal, by the way, though that was nice - he's just a very good all round footballer.

He's a typical Dutch player in his overall play, such a good technical kind of player.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #224: Dec 31, 2016 11:34:41 pm
      Absolute bullet header! Took me by surprise that one!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #225: Jan 01, 2017 02:28:31 am
      What a signing he has been when every one around him is having s brain fart he has the intelligence to calm every thing down.

With so many attacking players in the front 6 Gini is invaluable in his ability to wrestle back control.
      And he hardly ever passes the ball away.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #226: Jan 01, 2017 02:29:19 am
      Said it before say it again the lad is class.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #227: Jan 01, 2017 04:22:38 am
      Do that most games and people wont question his talent.

Outstanding performance.

Now do it more often.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #228: Jan 01, 2017 05:53:49 am
      MoTM for me.

Fantastic performance that.

ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #229: Jan 01, 2017 02:05:18 pm
      Do that most games and people wont question his talent.

Outstanding performance.

Now do it more often.

Football is a tough game. Do well and we want more. Let us down and we'll slay you!

Guess that's why they're paid that much and are fired from their organization if they don't perform.

Quick Reply