Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 194307 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #483: Jan 18, 2018 04:40:47 am
      I did some research again and completely redid it because I mixed up numbers from when he didn't play at all and when he was used as a substitute. He's rarely injured / rested. These are the full statistics (PL only):

Easy summary:

He starts: PPG: 2.12 GF: 2.22 GA: 1.06
      He plays (start and sub): PPG: 2.14 GF: 2.30 GA: 1.11
      He does not start (subs included): PPG: 1.55 GF: 1.91 GA: 1.55
      He doesn't play at all: PPG: 0.60 GF: 0.60 GA: 1.60

So far we haven't won a league game in which he hasn't played.
      People can do with these numbers what they want of course, but there does seem to be a big difference to our PPG in games he doesn't start and in games he does start.

He's one of my favourite players too and as you say, he's the one that gives us balance.

So you're saying he's best used off the bench? ;)

As with most arguments, i think the answers lies somewhere down the middle. He's been solid overall. Some great games (like Man City) and some invisible games (every single away game).

If he could develop his B or C game and not have that chasm between his A game and D game, his productivity would sky rocket.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #484: Jan 18, 2018 09:40:03 pm
      Hes the total opposite to what i thougbt we had bougbt to be honest.

I had him as a luxury player who wouldn't fight when it got tough but that would score some goals and get some assists in the smaller games.

Actuallyy i think he does fight and battle and the bigger the opposition the more he does graft for the team.

His actual final ball passing and shooting leaves quite a bit to be desired but he is part of a midfield that will undoubtedly get through some leg work.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #485: Jan 23, 2018 01:42:49 pm
      Gini in a nut shell against low block teams.

https://twitter.com/lfcdata/status/955792362369937413
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #486: Jan 23, 2018 01:44:14 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #487: Jan 23, 2018 03:05:12 pm

What the f**k? Haven't seen as many zeros since...well Everton's form this season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #488: Jan 23, 2018 03:44:46 pm
      What the f**k? Haven't seen as many zeros since...well Everton's form this season.

Just don't know what it is, but it's fair to say Gini goes missing in away games!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #489: Jan 23, 2018 03:48:32 pm

It is what it is. We all know going against bus parking teams, players like, Wijnaldum, Milner, Can and Hendo offer little on the offensive side.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #490: Jan 27, 2018 10:50:51 pm
      Sorry completely given up on this invisible entity.

Completely outshone by the WBA players, dont think i have ever seen a meek a player as Gini Weeny!!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #491: Jan 27, 2018 11:00:14 pm

Completely outshone by the WBA players, dont think i have ever seen a meek a player as Gini Weeny!!
      But he cuts off passing lanes...
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #492: Jan 27, 2018 11:45:27 pm

What a surprise to see you in here....  Can, Ox, Mane, Moreno, Matip, Migs, and TAA all had dire performances, but you're only slagging off 1 player in particular.  Wonder why that is ???
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #493: Jan 27, 2018 11:52:15 pm
      What a surprise to see you in here....  Can, Ox, Mane, Moreno, Matip, Migs, and TAA all had dire performances, but you're only slagging off 1 player in particular.  Wonder why that is ???

Well if you read through all my posts which it seems like you don't  ;)
      I have stated Matip has been useless all season, Moreno my views are there to see.

Players like TAA and Ox are new into the team or in the case of Trent only 19.

What I hate is when the likes of you have a go at top players like Mane who has set himself such a high standard and the likes of Gini gets off Scot free after weekly sub par performances.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #494: Jan 28, 2018 12:50:41 am
      I've had enough of Gini and his magic disappearing act
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #495: Jan 28, 2018 12:50:45 am
      Well if you read through all my posts which it seems like you don't  ;)
      I have stated Matip has been useless all season, Moreno my views are there to see.

Players like TAA and Ox are new into the team or in the case of Trent only 19.

What I hate is when the likes of you have a go at top players like Mane who has set himself such a high standard and the likes of Gini gets off Scot free after weekly sub par performances.

I didn't have a go at Mane.  I said the whole team (Mane included) were sh*t -- I did leave out Bobby, VVD, and Mo but I didn't feel the need to list the entire starting 11 to make my point.....  Still, I didn't single out anyone in particular -- unlike you.  As soon as the final whistle blew, you were immediately back in your favorite player thread telling us all (again) how much you dislike Gini. 

We all get it.  Fed doesn't rate Hendo, and you don't rate Gini.  You don't need to remind us again tomorrow  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #496: Jan 28, 2018 01:02:24 am
      I didn't have a go at Mane.  I said the whole team (Mane included) were sh*t -- I did leave out Bobby, VVD, and Mo but I didn't feel the need to list the entire starting 11 to make my point.....  Still, I didn't single out anyone in particular -- unlike you.  As soon as the final whistle blew, you were immediately back in your favorite player thread telling us all (again) how much you dislike Gini. 

We all get it.  Fed doesn't rate Hendo, and you don't rate Gini.  You don't need to remind us again tomorrow  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      [/quote

Well of course you wouldn't single out Gini (for some reason you seem to rate him, so do I btw but only for about 6 games a year though!) maybe that is the point I am raising he is not that good.

Upgrade needed on s squad player.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #497: Jan 28, 2018 01:37:23 am
      Sits out the next game for me. Shouldn't play away from home and at home should just be a sub off the bench.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #498: Jan 28, 2018 02:35:55 am

No problem at all admitting that he didn't play well today. Didn't shield the ball well enough and lost possession in the lead up to their first goal. Matip shouldn't have played that ball, but he usually deals with those.

For the second one he either should've picked up Rodriguez himself or give Chamberlain a shout. Could have happened, but Chamberlain didn't have a clue where his man was by the looks of it and looking at his reaction when we conceded, I think he knew he was at fault. Again, picking up the runners a major issue.

Just have to wonder why he's part of a group of about 5 players who are in the starting line-up pretty consistently, along with Firmino, Salah, Mane and Matip, when fit. The rest seem to get rotated far more. So either Klopp is an idiot for playing a player who regularly 'disappears' or Wijnaldum is actually doing his job and Klopp is happy with him. So if you think he's sh*te, I think you'll have to take it up with Klopp, who plays him, rather than with the player himself who is doing what Klopp wants him to do or he wouldn't be on the pitch.

Genuine question: do you think Wijnaldum enjoys playing the role he is asked to play when we play the bus parkers? Because he plays significantly lower then and doesn't make any runs forward at all, which is actually a big part of his natural game. Why is it that it's always Can who 'seems to be trying to force something' and not Wijnaldum? Could it be that Klopp just doesn't trust Can to deal with situations in which he is the sole midfielder while the rest have pushed up and asks Wijnaldum to just stay central and cover that space? When Henderson plays for example, Wijnaldum does get forward more often. It's no coincidence that Henderson plays the role better than Can does.

You've probably only watched the occasional Newcastle game from him and of course his Liverpool games. I've been watching him since his PSV days, which might be why I rate him higher than most on this forum. He was their captain, he never shied away from responsability and he made things happen. I've said it before, I don't like what Klopp has done with regards to Wijnaldum's role in certain games, but he does fulfil his role and he does do it well.

But he cuts off passing lanes...

You're an idiot. Being able to efficiently shut down space and cut off passing lanes (how silly it may sound) without having a sh*t ton of players behind you is of massive importance for the way we play. And before you say everyone can do that, then why is it that Henderson, Can and Chamberlain aren't as good at it as him?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #499: Jan 28, 2018 03:04:51 pm
      You're an idiot. Being able to efficiently shut down space and cut off passing lanes (how silly it may sound) without having a sh*t ton of players behind you is of massive importance for the way we play. And before you say everyone can do that, then why is it that Henderson, Can and Chamberlain aren't as good at it as him?
      Listen mate, I’m not gony get in to a name game here with you, if you don’t agree fair play. My opinion, along with quite a few others on here, is that he doesn’t do enough most games. So he cuts off passing lanes, great, who doesn’t. How many interceptions does he make? Swansea he didn’t make one and I don’t recall seeing many against West Brom.What he does he do on the ball? Again, not anything of note. I don’t have anything against the guy, not one of our midfielders are good enough, but I don’t get why people keep defending him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #500: Jan 28, 2018 06:29:37 pm
      It's useless having someone cut off passing lanes in games we have 70% possession anyway.

Useful against the big teams but when it comes to breaking down a defence he's as useful as a condom machine at the vatican.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #501: Feb 15, 2018 01:34:26 pm
      Personally think he had a cracker last night, even if it was away from home!
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #502: Feb 15, 2018 01:38:18 pm
      Its a strange one for me.

When he is on his game I see an unbelievably powerful midfielder with bursting runs forward, a good turn of pace and very difficult to stop.

When he is not its like any f**ker can push him around and boss him.

I don't know what the answer is but if Klopp can get the main man out every game we have one hell of a player.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #503: Feb 15, 2018 08:18:41 pm
      Its a strange one for me.

When he is on his game I see an unbelievably powerful midfielder with bursting runs forward, a good turn of pace and very difficult to stop.

When he is not its like any f**ker can push him around and boss him.

I don't know what the answer is but if Klopp can get the main man out every game we have one hell of a player.

The thing with Wijnaldum is that the role he is being asked to play by Klopp differs greatly game by game. With Henderson's injury, Klopp clearly didn't trust Can to fill in the role the way Henderson usually does, so Wijnaldum was tasked with babysitting Can and this limited his game.

In some games he did nothing more than just stay in front of the CB's, barely leaving the midfield circle and just keeping the ball moving. No runs forward, nothing more, while Can was allowed to roam and try to create. Can of course received the plaudits for actually trying to move forward while Wijnaldum just stayed back and kept it simple.

Compare his game away to Swansea and what he was clearly instructed to do there (play very low, conservative) to what he was instructed to do both away at Southampton and Porto yesterday. The difference is huge. In his last two games people generally (not everyone) agreed that he played well again. It's just because he is more present again during games when he is allowed to make these forward runs.

Fully agree that he has been a bit underwhelming during the majority of the month of January, but the way people sometimes go on about him... Klopp must be a right idiot for playing him if he really is "invisible", "doesn't influence games at all", "doesn't offer anything", ... Yet he is played consistenly in the vast majority of our games. Even next season when Keita arrives, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a combination of Keita and him in front of Henderson or a new #6.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #504: Feb 15, 2018 08:26:08 pm
      The thing with Wijnaldum is that the role he is being asked to play by Klopp differs greatly game by game. With Henderson's injury, Klopp clearly didn't trust Can to fill in the role the way Henderson usually does, so Wijnaldum was tasked with babysitting Can and this limited his game.

In some games he did nothing more than just stay in front of the CB's, barely leaving the midfield circle and just keeping the ball moving. No runs forward, nothing more, while Can was allowed to roam and try to create. Can of course received the plaudits for actually trying to move forward while Wijnaldum just stayed back and kept it simple.

Compare his game away to Swansea and what he was clearly instructed to do there (play very low, conservative) to what he was instructed to do both away at Southampton and Porto yesterday. The difference is huge. In his last two games people generally (not everyone) agreed that he played well again. It's just because he is more present again during games when he is allowed to make these forward runs.

Fully agree that he has been a bit underwhelming during the majority of the month of January, but the way people sometimes go on about him... Klopp must be a right idiot for playing him if he really is "invisible", "doesn't influence games at all", "doesn't offer anything", ... Yet he is played consistenly in the vast majority of our games. Even next season when Keita arrives, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a combination of Keita and him in front of Henderson or a new #6.

It's like that with quite a few players, supporters saying they are not doing this or that or that they are playing terrible; when in fact they might be doing exactly what the manager intended for them to do.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #505: Mar 09, 2018 06:40:18 am

Quick Reply