Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 204827 times
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #1081: Dec 07, 2020 01:46:15 am
      You've got to be on the windup.

If they didn't consider Gini a vital part of the team they wouldn't even bother offering a new contract which Liverpool did.

Stopped reading after your first point where you mention that he only plays because others are injured, well. This season he's played 901 minutes and featured in all 11 games (only Andy has played more in the league) so no, he doesn't play because others are injured.

higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,281 posts | 803 
      Reply #1082: Dec 07, 2020 03:01:30 am
      1. Gini only gets his minutes because others are injured. He lacked playing time when everyone was available, he wasn't starting back then.

2. Keita and Thiago are just better footballers than him, period. Jones we could discuss, but Jones plays more vertical while Gini almost never drives the ball forward but plays almost always lateral football. Jones is also younger. And then you have Ox. And Milner is always there as a back-up.

3. I mean the whole delay of his contract renewal proves Jürgen's praise to be just lip service. They obviously don't see him as an integral part of this team, otherwise they would have made a deal already. LFC and Jürgen see Gini as I see him: a good versatile not-so-young-anymore player that is expandable when you have Hendo, Fab, Keita, Thiago, Milner, Ox.

Gini knows all that and he will go away, else he would have accepted the recent offer. This is just a healthy situation where club and player don't come together but both know that it isn't because of a lack of respect for each other, but because of very specific interests. His recent goal doesn't change these facts, it also does not take away anything from Gini...it's just how football business works...and I just point that out.

Wankpuffin
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #1083: Dec 07, 2020 03:42:33 am
      1. Gini only gets his minutes because others are injured. He lacked playing time when everyone was available, he wasn't starting back then.

2. Keita and Thiago are just better footballers than him, period. Jones we could discuss, but Jones plays more vertical while Gini almost never drives the ball forward but plays almost always lateral football. Jones is also younger. And then you have Ox. And Milner is always there as a back-up.

3. I mean the whole delay of his contract renewal proves Jürgen's praise to be just lip service. They obviously don't see him as an integral part of this team, otherwise they would have made a deal already. LFC and Jürgen see Gini as I see him: a good versatile not-so-young-anymore player that is expandable when you have Hendo, Fab, Keita, Thiago, Milner, Ox.

Gini knows all that and he will go away, else he would have accepted the recent offer. This is just a healthy situation where club and player don't come together but both know that it isn't because of a lack of respect for each other, but because of very specific interests. His recent goal doesn't change these facts, it also does not take away anything from Gini...it's just how football business works...and I just point that out.
      What little credibility you have is lost when you highlight one of your own points in bold.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1084: Dec 07, 2020 06:15:11 am
      2016-17 - 42 appearances overall.
      2017-18 - 50
      2018-19 - 47
      2019-20 - 47
      2019-20 - 18.

Within a few of the team lead every season.

I don't see how many of these games he started but I'm quite certain it was most of them.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1085: Dec 07, 2020 06:47:48 am
      I disagree with him but there is no need to tell him something like that. We can disagree (strongly too) and still have a conversation about it. This is what we all come on this board for.

Hey polar bear - it’s called banter
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #1086: Dec 07, 2020 08:22:00 am

Mate I think you need to quit now while you're light years behind.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1087: Dec 07, 2020 09:15:50 am
      Another class performance from our Gin. Travesty to let him go on a free, Koeman can F**k off too he won’t se Christmas.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #1088: Dec 07, 2020 12:18:33 pm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1089: Dec 07, 2020 12:53:29 pm
      I think it’s clear that the elite midfield three is now Henderson Wijnaldum and Thiago (if everyone is fit)
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,266 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1090: Dec 07, 2020 01:05:13 pm

Clueless
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #1091: Dec 07, 2020 01:56:56 pm
      What the hell have I just read?

It’s better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #1092: Dec 07, 2020 01:57:58 pm

I know right, Ox will be lucky to ever play for us again when everyone is fit. Honestly I put Jones ahead of him at this point when both are fit (which sadly is never for Ox).
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #1093: Dec 07, 2020 02:46:35 pm
      I know right, Ox will be lucky to ever play for us again when everyone is fit. Honestly I put Jones ahead of him at this point when both are fit (which sadly is never for Ox).

AOC is a decent player and I'm quite happy the day we sign him (despite deeply doubt he will never play enough game due to injuries). If miracle happen and he keep fit to play I have no problen he stay but a chance of he fit to play five consecutive games without injure is impossible.

Re Gini, he is a legend!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #1094: Dec 07, 2020 03:00:41 pm
      Another class performance from our Gin. Travesty to let him go on a free, Koeman can f**k off too he won’t se Christmas.

Barca lost again last night now they are 9th with 12pts from leader Atletico so I fully believe Koeman will not stay over this season. Now I think we can relax and wait good news Gini sign a new contract  :D   
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,131 posts | 83 
      Reply #1095: Dec 07, 2020 03:03:49 pm
      If they appreciated Gini like you they'd have given him his will with a contract extension, just like they did with Jürgen, VVD, Salah.... It's obvious they do view Gini not as an integral part of midfield. The depth chart (i.e. looking purely at how valueable a player is if he's fit) looks like this (for me):

1. Fab
      2. Thiago
      3. Hendo
      4. Keita
      5. Gini
      6. Ox
      7. Milner
      8. Jones

Even if you don't agree with the whole list it's obvious Gini would not start if everyone is available. He knows that, therefore he demands a longer contract to be safe because he knows: good chance I won't start in 1-2 years and then I won't find a good club anymore, so this is my last big contract with Liverpool and I have to cash in properly for a proper time.

Of course I can be wrong, I dunno what happens behind the curtain, but I don't see how this is an absurd theory.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #1096: Dec 07, 2020 03:08:29 pm
      If they appreciated Gini like you they'd have given him his will with a contract extension, just like they did with Jürgen, VVD, Salah.... It's obvious they do view Gini not as an integral part of midfield. The depth chart (i.e. looking purely at how valueable a player is if he's fit) looks like this (for me):

1. Fab
      2. Thiago
      3. Hendo
      4. Keita
      5. Gini
      6. Ox
      7. Milner
      8. Jones

Even if you don't agree with the whole list it's obvious Gini would not start if everyone is available. He knows that, therefore he demands a longer contract to be safe because he knows: good chance I won't start in 1-2 years and then I won't find a good club anymore, so this is my last big contract with Liverpool and I have to cash in properly for a proper time.

Of course I can be wrong, I dunno what happens behind the curtain, but I don't see how this is an absurd theory.

Mate, if you are believing what you typing then you are not only wrong about Gini but you are wrong with your life.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,875 posts | 165 
      Reply #1097: Dec 07, 2020 05:06:54 pm
      Great player, so integral to our team, deserves a new contract post haste, don't go to Barca they're on the wain.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,266 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1098: Dec 07, 2020 05:13:28 pm

Ox will play a lot for us when he is fit - he adds goals and running with the ball from the centre of the park.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,318 posts | 1672 
      Reply #1099: Dec 07, 2020 09:41:01 pm
      I have no doubt he is off
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1100: Dec 07, 2020 09:47:16 pm

I’ll be so gutted if he does
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #1101: Dec 08, 2020 05:48:58 am
      I’ll be so gutted if he does
      true enough man, he is too good on the pitch in terms of work rates
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1102: Dec 08, 2020 08:46:20 am
      I think it’s clear that the elite midfield three is now Henderson Wijnaldum and Thiago (if everyone is fit)

No Fabinho?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1103: Dec 08, 2020 08:47:38 am

Good point, just got used to him in central defence.

You can’t leave out Fabs, one of the best in the world.

Quick Reply