Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

The Olympics 2016

Read 76703 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: The Olympics 2016
      Reply #92: Aug 06, 2016 05:41:12 pm
      Steve Cummins taking the sting out of riders at the moment it looks like we have a plan
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #93: Aug 06, 2016 05:49:54 pm
      Totally agree. No one better than Boardman. It can often be difficult to understand the tactics being used in a road race but he is always informing as to what's going on. Martin Brundle used to be terrific commentating for f1 but these days he seems to have replaced insight with opinion.

And I agree with you. Martin Brundle was king of the pundits in his first few years with ITV. I learned a lot with his technical input and experience. Chris Boardman has taken his mantel.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #94: Aug 06, 2016 07:28:26 pm
      Unbelievable! Nibali is down. Heartbreaking!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #95: Aug 06, 2016 07:32:23 pm
      Gutted for Thomas.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #96: Aug 06, 2016 07:33:05 pm
      its carnage out there
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #97: Aug 06, 2016 07:34:42 pm
      think the TDF was still in the legs but this is a long race its brutal
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #98: Aug 06, 2016 07:35:21 pm
      heard of a Gymnast breaking his leg ouch
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #99: Aug 06, 2016 07:36:36 pm
      9 sec gap 3km to go
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #100: Aug 06, 2016 07:42:44 pm
      I'm honestly not one for watching long races like this but I've enjoyed this from start to finish.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #101: Aug 06, 2016 08:06:18 pm
      So happy for Van Avermaet, absolutely over the moon with this win! Fully deserved this after all the sh*t he's gotten through the years. And what a race too, full of suspense, really enjoyed that.

Belgium also beat Great-Britain in the first hockey game, very pleased with that too!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #102: Aug 06, 2016 08:39:53 pm
      just watching the Gymnastics now and all I can say is Jeeeeezzzz.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #103: Aug 06, 2016 08:44:33 pm
      I'm honestly not one for watching long races like this but I've enjoyed this from start to finish.

Absolutely heroic from all involved.

Just seen Adam Peaty smashing the world record for 100m breaststroke. Swimming already proving to be much healthier competition for GB compared to 4 years ago where we were dire! A glut of talent now for British swimming
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #104: Aug 06, 2016 09:29:19 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #105: Aug 07, 2016 05:24:58 am
      think the idea is that it appeals to a global audience of 3 billion.

Nah. Sure it would be nice if everyone could be pleased, but that's always going to be difficult. The priority, in my opinion, should be with those presenting themselves to the world; to make them proud and feeling it was a meaningful presentation of their country.

It's much easier for countries that have exported their cultures to all four corners of the globe (often forcibly) to "please" a global audience. To put it simpler: everyone knows who Paul F***ing McCartney is. But if you, or anyone else out of that 3 billion audience are not entertained by Caetano Veloso, Paulinho da Viola and Gilberto Gil - three of the most talented musicians to have ever lived - then who cares? I sure don't. And if you don't understand the local language and the beauty of our poetry - and I don't hold much hope on that front with people from for such a self-centered country still coming to grips with the difference between "your" and "you're" - then I couldn't care less.

Maybe being a bit more open minded instead of fixing expectations for countries so widely different - and, it has to be said, with quite different budgets as well - would be a better idea and help the enjoyment of it. One example that comes to mind was a comment that I've seen elsewhere - in a tone of criticism - that the ceremony had a "fun" vibe that is usually associated with closing instead of opening ceremonies. While that may indeed be reason for criticism elsewhere, I replied that this is bound to be taken as a compliment over here.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #106: Aug 07, 2016 05:26:22 am
      Back to the competitions - I went to watch Australia v France in men's basketball at the Carioca Arena 1 today. The arena was pretty nice. Australia played quite well, though France were a huge disappointment. I thought a team with Parker, Diaw and Gobert could beat that Aussie team. Bogut was good, and I loved watching Joe Ingles who is a Utah Jazz player and a personal favourite of mine.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #107: Aug 07, 2016 06:48:48 am
      Nah. Sure it would be nice if everyone could be pleased, but that's always going to be difficult. The priority, in my opinion, should be with those presenting themselves to the world; to make them proud and feeling it was a meaningful presentation of their country.

It's much easier for countries that have exported their cultures to all four corners of the globe (often forcibly) to "please" a global audience. To put it simpler: everyone knows who Paul f**king McCartney is. But if you, or anyone else out of that 3 billion audience are not entertained by Caetano Veloso, Paulinho da Viola and Gilberto Gil - three of the most talented musicians to have ever lived - then who cares? I sure don't. And if you don't understand the local language and the beauty of our poetry - and I don't hold much hope on that front with people from for such a self-centered country still coming to grips with the difference between "your" and "you're" - then I couldn't care less.

Maybe being a bit more open minded instead of fixing expectations for countries so widely different - and, it has to be said, with quite different budgets as well - would be a better idea and help the enjoyment of it. One example that comes to mind was a comment that I've seen elsewhere - in a tone of criticism - that the ceremony had a "fun" vibe that is usually associated with closing instead of opening ceremonies. While that may indeed be reason for criticism elsewhere, I replied that this is bound to be taken as a compliment over here.

Wow! Lot of anger being released there Diego. Condemning a whole country as self-centred because someone didn't like your opening ceremony. We are not self-centered just introspective :)

It doesn't really matter what others think as long as the people of Brazil think it was great, after all you're the one's paying for it. Different strokes for different folks mate...some people didn't like the Beatles and even more didn't like Paul McCartney although admittedly most have heard of them.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #108: Aug 07, 2016 06:59:06 am
      Wow! Lot of anger being released there Diego. Condemning a whole country as self-centred because someone didn't like your opening ceremony. We are not self-centered just introspective :)

It doesn't really matter what others think as long as the people of Brazil think it was great, after all you're the one's paying for it. Different strokes for different folks mate...some people didn't like the Beatles and even more didn't like Paul McCartney although admittedly most have heard of them.

haha if really wasn't supposed to come out as angry, and I meant self-centered in the matter of languages.

It's much easier for a country whose language and culture the rest of the world is heavily exposed to all the time to be more appealing to a global audience, as opposed to one with a language spoken only in tiny countries outside Brazil and whose culture people generally know nothing other than football and samba.

In the end we agree that what really matters is the opinion of the Brazilian public, I think that much is pretty obvious, but walton apparently disagrees.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #109: Aug 07, 2016 07:06:39 am
      Different strokes for different folks mate...some people didn't like the Beatles and even more didn't like Paul McCartney although admittedly most have heard of them.

Personally I really enjoyed the London ceremony, which was the first I remember paying attention to for a considerable period of time. Usually they all bore the F**k out of me (sometimes I don't even bother watching). And I love Paul McCartney. So it wasn't meant as a dig on London or even British culture. Just pointing out how different the situations are.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #110: Aug 07, 2016 09:39:09 am
      chance for Lizzie Armistead to get the last week out of her head I am not sure how she will go but Pooley is a fantastic climber so if she gets to the end near the front she could do something special. (just need to check on that and see if she is racing today or in the TT)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #111: Aug 07, 2016 09:46:12 am
      caught some of the lightweight boxing pound for pound these lads knock the sh*t out of each other. Really is a sports fest for the next three weeks not sure if my arse or the sofa will be able to take it all.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #112: Aug 07, 2016 09:49:39 am
      What categories is Bradley Wiggins going to cycle? I know absolutely nothing about the sport but I'm curious about the Velodrome. It looks really beautiful from what I've seen.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #113: Aug 07, 2016 09:56:20 am
      What categories is Bradley Wiggins going to cycle? I know absolutely nothing about the sport but I'm curious about the Velodrome. It looks really beautiful from what I've seen.

4000m team pursuit and it should be against the Aussies and it should be a world record with about .5 of a sec between them at the end its going to be epic.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #114: Aug 07, 2016 10:15:01 am
      caught some of the lightweight boxing pound for pound these lads knock the sh*t out of each other. Really is a sports fest for the next three weeks not sure if my arse or the sofa will be able to take it all.

The boxing was quality yesterday. I was watching Joe Cordina being interviewed after his win and I kind of got distracted by 2 guys in the ring going to war on each other :D.

Quick Reply