Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      3 (4.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      5 (7.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      8 (12.5%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (7.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      6 (9.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (3.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      9 (14.1%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      6 (9.4%)
      Marko Grujic
      14 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: Aug 24, 2016 05:06:57 pm

Burnley 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 35273 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Live: Burnley V Liverpool
      Reply #460: Aug 20, 2016 05:03:44 pm
      Honestly, I'm shocked that Jürgen thinks this squad is complete.

We won the net spend though mate, so not all bad.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #461: Aug 20, 2016 05:04:03 pm
      No point in swinging a ball in to a box full of 11 defenders.

Why? That what they did anyway!
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #462: Aug 20, 2016 05:04:15 pm
      With spurs next lose that we be in bottom of table top 4 dream look like we always be rebuild we fhish 7 or 8 in league
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #463: Aug 20, 2016 05:04:53 pm
      I don't think I will ever feel confident playing against a so called lesser side again. I have lost count of the number of times I think we will beat teams to do this.

The big teams, we have no problem with - the fighters always walk all over us.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #464: Aug 20, 2016 05:05:28 pm
      Same sh*t, different season. Can't use not having training sessions as an excuse this time unfortunately. Pathetic, embarrassing, underwhelming; you name it we were it today.

but our finances are in good order which is more important right..... Lets not kid ourselves 90% of fans agreed we needed a top Goalkeeper and a left back before signing anyone else and he we are again discussing the same mistakes as we had last season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #465: Aug 20, 2016 05:05:49 pm
      Depressing stuff.

Only two games in and it's already clear we are well off top 4 quality.

Mane is our only player with genuine pace that can get in behind the defence.

Take him out of the team and we look pedestrian in attack.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #466: Aug 20, 2016 05:05:52 pm
      The player share some blame but the buck stops with the manager.

This time (and indeed not the first time) he's selection and tactics against a seemingly weaker opposition that sits back and counter OR one that offers good aerial threat have been less than good.

This is what terrifies me, the fact that Klopp and his team don't seem to learn from their mistakes, there is absolutely no excuse for that defeat today, it was the wrong players playing wrong tactics.
      When you have 85% possession you should be peppering the opposition goalie with shots but we barely had any on target and why the hell did Klopp wait so long before making any substitutions, I am really not happy at all. In fact I'm very worried for this season already, its not just the defeat to a poor team, that can happen to anyone, its the fact we are not evolving and still have the same frailties and weaknesses.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #467: Aug 20, 2016 05:06:05 pm
      No he's not but we certainly made him look good today!

He's good. Will keep Burnley up this season after already firing them to promotion in the last.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #468: Aug 20, 2016 05:06:33 pm
      I knew we'd be inconsistent this season but that game was as consistent as you'll ever see, consistently given the option to attack on the left wing with whichever full back we prefer and doing absolutely nothing with it when we got there. If that failed then give it to Cou to blaze a shot anywhere but at the goal.

Migs: Dire, didn't get near their shots, didn't do anything at all. 5 conceded with 7 shots on target this season says it all: 3

Clyne: Dire, didn't support the attack, didn't do anything constructive and really does look clueless in attack. Cost us the first goal with a shocking pass inside. 3

Lovren: Looks shaky, I'm worried about him right now but he did have one great defensive recovery on Gray when he'd scorched Milner. 6

Klavan: His worst game for us, granted not much to do but in a game like that you expect him to carry the ball forward and ask questions. Take the responsibility off Henderson rather than continue to feed the frustration. A man of his experience should recognise that the threat is very few and far between and we're 2-0 down and we need more. 5

Milner: Not good, thought he'd produce much more given chance after chance after chance to cross the ball but it was turgid stuff time and again, granted not helped by the lack of players making moves into the box. 4

Henderson: F**k me that has to be one of the worst performances by a midfielder I've seen in a long time, in a game like that and he doesn't do anything to try and influence the game, just continually passed the ball 5 yards. I could have done that and not broken sweat. His corners were sh*te and the player is just not good enough at all. Can't believe he's starting as captain and think he should be dropped very quickly. 3

Lallana: Not nearly as effective as against Arsenal. Needs to recognise that things can be done off the ball in a game like that rather than dropping deep, which so many of ours did. He made nice movements in the Arsenal game and got beyond our strikers but at that point we had Mane carrying the ball. Must realise that he has to get beyond the strikers often when playing that position and must occupy defenders rather than midfielders when in attack. Allowing their midfielders to sit on him just stifled his game and ours. 5

Wijnaldum: Got further forward than any of our midfielders but didn't influence play nearly enough. Passing was poor and was lucky to stay on the pitch. Not looked good for Gini and could easily be dropped if both Grujic and Can are fit. 5

Coutinho: Tried, tried and tried some more but it wasn't his day. Frustrated himself and fans but must develop that consistency. 6

Firmino: Not a good day for Bobby but was the player making the right runs and creating more than our other offensive players. Needs others to put the same shift in and do the same for him as he does for them when against such a low block. 6

Sturridge: Dire, didn't seem to know his role in the team, dropped deep without then carrying the ball and didn't seem to have any pace in his legs. The difference between Mane and Sturridge in that position is night and day. 4

Moreno: Thought he did better than Milner but wasn't given much time at which point our players had grown frustrated to the point of ineptitude. 5

Grujic: Straight away did more than the other 3 midfielders put together. Think he's got the right attitude for teams that sit deep, he is looking to get forward constantly and I think he should come in as soon as he can. 6

Origi: Was more lively up top but again our players had hit such a low that it would take more than just energy at that point to change the game. 5

Jürgen: Not a good day for the boss, when his team is given that much possession and does so little with it he has to take it on the chin that he didn't get across his plan properly. I think he saw the signs against Arsenal that this midfield was wrong yet persisted with it. Hopefully that lesson is now learned because they don't compliment each other at all. Didn't make the changes early enough, didn't get across to the midfield that he needs more enough and frankly I thought this was poor from Jürgen: 4
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #469: Aug 20, 2016 05:06:44 pm
      two league games 5 goals conceded already how much clearer is it where the start of our problems are its so frustrating that the basic problems have been ignored
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #470: Aug 20, 2016 05:07:20 pm
      I don't think I will ever feel confident playing against a so called lesser side again. I have lost count of the number of times I think we will beat teams to do this.

Thing is though, we play Spurs, Chelsea and even Leicester in the next few games. We generally play well in those games but those are quality sides and you can't always rely on us blowing them away because they've got players capable of magic or we get unlucky or make mistakes. 

Not inconceivable we're on a maximum of four points before then having to go to Chelsea, hardly the start we wanted.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #471: Aug 20, 2016 05:08:32 pm
      said it before and will say it again this team has little character about it they lie down far too easily when things don't go there way and that's when you need an Emlyn Hughes a Graeme Souness, a Kenny Dalglish or Steven Gerrard we need our talisman and we need him quickly.

Tommy Smith, Crazy Horse, Souness, Molby, Dalglish, Rush formed the backbone of the team. And by todays';s standard we have no backbone at all. Klopp needs to realise soon he has a very weak midfield.   He keeps buying attacking midfielders when many said we needed a DM. I;m sorry, I like Klopp very much but I'm brave enough to say it here the crack begins to show. Torch me, flame me if you wish, I couldn't care less, that's how I sees it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Burnley 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #472: Aug 20, 2016 05:08:51 pm
      Was sliping over on some stone stairs and re-injuring my already sore, cracked ribs a better option than watching this?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #473: Aug 20, 2016 05:09:09 pm
      We have no real players capable of breaking down that kind of defense Lallana is no Benayoun... How many shots did we have from out side the box?... Feel a fit Ings would have filled his boots against his old side today
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #474: Aug 20, 2016 05:10:32 pm
      Klopp needs to change this team up against Spurs or they will smash us.

I would bring Matip, Grujic, Can and Origi in to the starting line up and pray to god Mane is fit. 
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #475: Aug 20, 2016 05:10:33 pm
      two league games 5 goals conceded already how much clearer is it where the start of our problems are its so frustrating that the basic problems have been ignored

Don't worry . We're about to splash big on another CAM  :roll:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #476: Aug 20, 2016 05:10:50 pm

Apart from being a little overgenerous with the points pretty much spot on Luke.

Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #477: Aug 20, 2016 05:11:02 pm
      Vote for man of the match needs an extra category. i.e. NOBODY was man of the match.

How can you vote for man of the match when they were all crap?
      Jimsouse67

• 9,549 posts | 1495 
      Reply #478: Aug 20, 2016 05:11:27 pm

That's the problem mate ,how many in our current  team would you call out & out fighters, ( not many ) How many like doing the dirty stuff ,getting stuck in with tackles,there are lot of players in our squad who are more interested in fixing there F***ing hair than getting mud on there kit.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #479: Aug 20, 2016 05:12:00 pm
      Tommy Smith, Crazy Horse, Souness, Molby, Dalglish, Rush formed the backbone of the team. And by todays';s standard we have no backbone at all. Klopp needs to realise soon he has a very weak midfield.   He keeps buying attacking midfielders when many said we needed a DM. I;m sorry, I like Klopp very much but I'm brave enough to say it here the crack begins to show. Torch me, flame me if you wish, I couldn't care less, that's how I sees it.

everyone on the face of this earth who follows football knows a great team or even a good team needs a good spine and that starts with the goalkeeper and he just scares the sh*t out of his team mates. Some slagged of Joe Hart I would take him in a heart beat compared to this lad and to think we fu**ed of Pepe for him
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #480: Aug 20, 2016 05:12:02 pm

Not too sure they've been ignored.  We have brought in a keeper and we have got Matip in and Gomez and Sakho out injured.

3 points from these two games is about what I was expecting - just the other way round - but then you know the way we do things.

10 points from the opening 5 please.

Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #481: Aug 20, 2016 05:12:09 pm
      I knew we'd be inconsistent this season but that game was as consistent as you'll ever see, consistently given the option to attack on the left wing with whichever full back we prefer and doing absolutely nothing with it when we got there. If that failed then give it to Cou to blaze a shot anywhere but at the goal.

Migs: Dire, didn't get near their shots, didn't do anything at all. 5 conceded with 7 shots on target this season says it all: 3

Clyne: Dire, didn't support the attack, didn't do anything constructive and really does look clueless in attack. Cost us the first goal with a shocking pass inside. 3

Lovren: Looks shaky, I'm worried about him right now but he did have one great defensive recovery on Gray when he'd scorched Milner. 6

Klavan: His worst game for us, granted not much to do but in a game like that you expect him to carry the ball forward and ask questions. Take the responsibility off Henderson rather than continue to feed the frustration. A man of his experience should recognise that the threat is very few and far between and we're 2-0 down and we need more. 5

Milner: Not good, thought he'd produce much more given chance after chance after chance to cross the ball but it was turgid stuff time and again, granted not helped by the lack of players making moves into the box. 4

Henderson: F**k me that has to be one of the worst performances by a midfielder I've seen in a long time, in a game like that and he doesn't do anything to try and influence the game, just continually passed the ball 5 yards. I could have done that and not broken sweat. His corners were sh*te and the player is just not good enough at all. Can't believe he's starting as captain and think he should be dropped very quickly. 3

Lallana: Not nearly as effective as against Arsenal. Needs to recognise that things can be done off the ball in a game like that rather than dropping deep, which so many of ours did. He made nice movements in the Arsenal game and got beyond our strikers but at that point we had Mane carrying the ball. Must realise that he has to get beyond the strikers often when playing that position and must occupy defenders rather than midfielders when in attack. Allowing their midfielders to sit on him just stifled his game and ours. 5

Wijnaldum: Got further forward than any of our midfielders but didn't influence play nearly enough. Passing was poor and was lucky to stay on the pitch. Not looked good for Gini and could easily be dropped if both Grujic and Can are fit. 5

Coutinho: Tried, tried and tried some more but it wasn't his day. Frustrated himself and fans but must develop that consistency. 6

Firmino: Not a good day for Bobby but was the player making the right runs and creating more than our other offensive players. Needs others to put the same shift in and do the same for him as he does for them when against such a low block. 6

Sturridge: Dire, didn't seem to know his role in the team, dropped deep without then carrying the ball and didn't seem to have any pace in his legs. The difference between Mane and Sturridge in that position is night and day. 4

Moreno: Thought he did better than Milner but wasn't given much time at which point our players had grown frustrated to the point of ineptitude. 5

Grujic: Straight away did more than the other 3 midfielders put together. Think he's got the right attitude for teams that sit deep, he is looking to get forward constantly and I think he should come in as soon as he can. 6

Origi: Was more lively up top but again our players had hit such a low that it would take more than just energy at that point to change the game. 5

Jürgen: Not a good day for the boss, when his team is given that much possession and does so little with it he has to take it on the chin that he didn't get across his plan properly. I think he saw the signs against Arsenal that this midfield was wrong yet persisted with it. Hopefully that lesson is now learned because they don't compliment each other at all. Didn't make the changes early enough, didn't get across to the midfield that he needs more enough and frankly I thought this was poor from Jürgen: 4

Agreed.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #482: Aug 20, 2016 05:12:40 pm
      Was sliping over on some stone stairs and re-injuring my already sore, cracked ribs a better option than watching this?

Sounds less painful ;-)

Quick Reply