Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Chinese State Owned Company Everbright

Read 42783 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Re: Chinese State Owned Company Everbright
      Reply #115: Aug 23, 2016 09:43:59 am
      So I gather that in wanting new, rich owners, we are happy to watch the PL become just like Serie A or La Liga where there is no competition and it's a procession year on year? I might well be a Liverpool fan of nigh on 40 years, but at the same time I would never want to see us buy success. As with all things in life, the sweetest rewards come from hard work and determination. We haven't won the league for 26 years, but buying it would not taste as sweet as it should.

I dont think its a question of buying success we would just be able to dine at the same table as the Mancs and Chavs, at the moment we are operating on a tier below with the likes of Spurs.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #116: Aug 23, 2016 09:54:08 am
      I might well be a Liverpool fan of nigh on 40 years, but at the same time I would never want to see us buy success. As with all things in life, the sweetest rewards come from hard work and determination. We haven't won the league for 26 years, but buying it would not taste as sweet as it should.

Fair point.  Fact remains though that Liverpool are the 9th richest club in the world and we have had for the last 6 years a transfer strategy of gambling on unproven under 24s from around Europe.  The motivation for this to me does not seem to be based on on the pitch success but of hopefully a big transfer fee down the line when they move on.

I'm not saying I want a team of galacticos - far from it - but when the best players come up for sale we now have a policy of - nah forget about getting the best, let's see who just got relegated and wants a move?

Fenway's transfer strategy just isn't working.  At some point, if you want to consistently be the best, and have the best players, you simply have to pay the best wages. 

At the moment, if a player at Liverpool has a storming season then the club don't offer them a big contract to keep them - they think about how much the sell-out clause is.  And the cycle continues...
      Neiljk551
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #117: Aug 23, 2016 10:00:51 am
      Sky News yellow ticker tape

"State owned company China Everbright is working on a bid to buy a stake in Liverpool Football club"

State owned? Chinese government?

Apparenlty they spent 2.6b on something a few weeks ago

Let's have it!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #118: Aug 23, 2016 10:04:48 am
      Sadly the days of having shareholders in the club being Liverpool supporters have well and truly gone,those days went when Moores sold out to Twit and tw*t.I refer to the days when the directors were first and foremost Liverpool supporters and they put the club ahead of their own gains.
      Neiljk551
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #119: Aug 23, 2016 10:05:00 am
      Fair point.  Fact remains though that Liverpool are the 9th richest club in the world and we have had for the last 6 years a transfer strategy of gambling on unproven under 24s from around Europe.  The motivation for this to me does not seem to be based on on the pitch success but of hopefully a big transfer fee down the line when they move on.

I'm not saying I want a team of galacticos - far from it - but when the best players come up for sale we now have a policy of - nah forget about getting the best, let's see who just got relegated and wants a move?

Fenway's transfer strategy just isn't working.  At some point, if you want to consistently be the best, and have the best players, you simply have to pay the best wages. 

At the moment, if a player at Liverpool has a storming season then the club don't offer them a big contract to keep them - they think about how much the sell-out clause is.  And the cycle continues...
      Neiljk551
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #120: Aug 23, 2016 10:17:21 am
      I'm not sure that Klopp is the man for the job, anyway. If he believes Henderson, Lucas Lieva and a few others are fit & proper to make LFC successful, then he does not know the game.

No matter what money can buy, if you buy the wrong type of player, there is no prospect of any success. What LFC have bought so far, in my opinion, do not measure up to the task. We have to wait to judge all of Klopp's latest acquisitions, if they were his decision to buy.

A note : No matter how you spell certain names, they still remain unfit for purpose.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #121: Aug 23, 2016 10:28:24 am
      I'm not sure that Klopp is the man for the job, anyway. If he believes Henderson, Lucas Lieva and a few others are fit & proper to make LFC successful, then he does not know the game.

No matter what money can buy, if you buy the wrong type of player, there is no prospect of any success. What LFC have bought so far, in my opinion, do not measure up to the task. We have to wait to judge all of Klopp's latest acquisitions, if they were his decision to buy.

A note : No matter how you spell certain names, they still remain unfit for purpose.

If you are going to post on a Liverpool forum at least spell the players names correctly.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #122: Aug 23, 2016 10:55:51 am
      Didn't we buy success in the 80s?

Sure the scale was smaller, but we had the 80s equivalent of DIC/Everbright behind us with Littlewoods Pools financing our efforts

Sure it was smaller scale, but we didn't spend as much as other clubs.

Around the same time we bought a certain Mr Daglish for 440k, didn't Trevor Francis become the first million pound player?

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #123: Aug 23, 2016 10:59:48 am

This is unfortunately all very true. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. I think someone at some time has cursed our club...

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #124: Aug 23, 2016 11:00:23 am

Around the same time we bought a certain Mr Daglish for 440k, didn't Trevor Francis become the first million pound player?

Dont forget we sold Keegan for 500K so we actually came out with a profit and we got a better player as well.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #125: Aug 23, 2016 11:47:31 am
      We have now got to the stage where balancing the books every year will unfortunately consolidate our position as a mid table team. We have finished behind Spurs 5 out of the last 6 seasons.

Can a world class manager like Klopp topple the juggernaut spending of the Mancs and Chelsea - of course he can as he showed against Bayern however it can't be sustained as the greater resources of Bayern proved.

Time to get serious about competing or confine ourself to a West Ham level as our global appeal slowly erodes and sponsors look to successful teams.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #126: Aug 23, 2016 12:06:11 pm
      Until you start looking at things in a different light, they don't appear as bad as they actually are. When the likes of West Ham and Crystal Palace are able to financially compete with us as well as doing so on the pitch, even though we are supposedly one of the biggest clubs in the world, then you should know that all is not as it should be. I think although the running of the club is stable and profits are being made year on year, the owners have no real desire to return us to the summit as they promised the fans when they took over. I believe the wool that has been pulled over our eyes has become ever so thread bare...
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #127: Aug 23, 2016 12:10:26 pm
      If they pump more money in our club, I would take it, even though Klopp will not use it all as he indicated by himself. Money CAN buy you success. In football world, it is everything.

There will be some of you who will disagree but this is my opinion.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #128: Aug 23, 2016 12:12:47 pm
      I believe that the Chinese will be look at  a stake in the club of somewhere between 30%-40%... Now how that will pan out for LFC no one knows... The one area where we will see almost instantaneous results is in merchandising, and shirt sale which can not be a bad thing
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #129: Aug 23, 2016 12:14:20 pm
      If they pump more money in our club, I would take it, even though Klopp will not use it all as he indicated by himself. Money CAN buy you success. In football world, it is everything.

But what of the anomaly that was Leicester last year? Sure it can be called a freak, but it happened and surely blew open any argument about needing huge finances to win?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #130: Aug 23, 2016 12:21:14 pm
      But what of the anomaly that was Leicester last year? Sure it can be called a freak, but it happened and surely blew open any argument about needing huge finances to win?

I suppose the argument mate is can we sustain success after doing a Leicester and the evidence all suggests it's very difficult to compete as the money bags teams Hoover up all the best talent.
      And just as importantly keeping hold of top talent.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #131: Aug 23, 2016 12:30:46 pm

Welcome to the forum, mate.  You'll pick it up.  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #132: Aug 23, 2016 12:40:15 pm

Fenway's transfer strategy just isn't working.  At some point, if you want to consistently be the best, and have the best players, you simply have to pay the best wages. [/size]

Fenway's football strategy isn't working full stop.
      Four managers in six years have failed to adapt to their misdirection, their latest appointment - Jürgen Klopp - has a mammoth task in producing success under the FSG interpretation of an LFC business model.

Unfortunately the FSG method of business seen fit to operate LFC is only a slight improvement on the leverage system pursued by previous thieving bas**rds from their neck of the woods.
      The lack of genuine investment in the club per se is an obstacle to achieving success.

If we do acquire new owners irrespective of their country of origin and they apply the tenet of commercial practice that states that investment is essential in promoting a successful product, LFC will be in better hands than it is now.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2016 01:45:28 pm by stuey »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,590 posts | 7141 
      Reply #133: Aug 23, 2016 12:41:18 pm

its more than an opinion its a fact. the only instance of that not being the case is last season and Leicester.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #134: Aug 23, 2016 12:44:43 pm

I did used to agree with that, but increasingly I see it as 'just an anomaly.'  I actually think it provided the motivation (and the TV cash the means) for Chelsea, MUFC, MCFC to say, 'Right, no more messing about," and seriously go and buy big.  They decided there'd be no repeat of the Leicester season, and I don't expect there will be.  Arsenal ambled up their usual blind alley, and they might say so did LFC!

I'd love us to win the PL in the manner of Ranieri's boys, but we won't.  We don't have the players to achieve that consistency.  Money talks, 99 times out of 100.  I am very wary of this Chinese group's motivation and intent (and FSG's), although without serious expenditure, we will see the rest disappear.  Let's spend the TV money and the Benteke cash well before we allow 'Made In China' stamped all over us.  We have a position as a respected and honourable community football club that defines a huge part of the city's soul.  Let's guard that with our lives, while we still have it!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #135: Aug 23, 2016 12:45:43 pm

Mark are you willing to wait for that to happen. The miracle of Istanbul is much more a possibility than us doing a Leicester. I'm not willing to wait for another 30 years for maybe we win the league with average players. Money CAN buy use success, therefore the league.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #136: Aug 23, 2016 01:15:19 pm
      Mark are you willing to wait for that to happen. The miracle of Istanbul is much more a possibility than us doing a Leicester. I'm not willing to wait for another 30 years for maybe we win the league with average players. Money CAN buy use success, therefore the league.

Of course I want us to win the league this season and every season. But going down a route of money buys everything just doesn't sit well with me. It's a personal thing ...

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,363 posts | 1637 
      Reply #137: Aug 23, 2016 01:16:32 pm

Its all relevent to time Francis was bought I think two years later even Clough realised to hang onto our coat tails he had to spend, even Shanks realised you had to spend to build a team funny as it may seem its not a new concept .

Quick Reply