Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jan Molby: After dinner talk.

Read 5751 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Jan Molby: After dinner talk.
      Aug 21, 2016 11:06:04 am
      not sure where to put this but it will cheer us up
      https://youtu.be/tXvHApppG78
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2016 02:48:13 pm by RedPuppy »
      redclocker
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42 posts |
      Re: jan molby after dinner talk
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2016 02:28:56 pm
      excellent thanks mate, I had a look for that goal as well, forgotten about it
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: jan molby after dinner talk
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2016 02:32:37 pm
      Cheers mate, enjoyed that.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Jan Molby: After dinner talk.
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2016 04:03:41 pm

I loved the Ian Rush Pizza joke 4 or 8 slices.
      Keldo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2016 04:52:00 pm
      Very good. Really enjoyed that.

Jan is excellent at these .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2016 04:55:19 pm
      the Joe Fagan quote about not having a clue about what is going to happen on the pitch before his first match. It is noticeable how these lads actually cared about each other and had fantastic team spirit now we have wealthy young men doing their own thing
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #6: Apr 21, 2018 12:22:33 am
      First of all, how I've just found this thread so quick after a good few beers is absolutely f**king beyond me.

Just seen Jan at Leasowe Castle and he was very good.

Some great stories especially the ones about Ian Rush and how f**king thick he was.

I'll post a few of the stories, tomorrow, as I'm pissed now but only if:

a) I remember the stories in the morning
      b) I remember writing this post in the morning

All very doubtful but ay, he was f**king good and I recommend seeing him if the opportunity arises.

Hic
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #7: Apr 21, 2018 01:38:44 am
      Some great stories especially the ones about Ian Rush and how f**king thick he was

Said they'd all gone down for breakfast at some hotel in Wales and a waitress announced that there was no bacon.

Rushy says to Molby under his breath at the table: "20 million sheep in the country and they've got no bacon"

😂

Also, he said when he was mulling over the Swansea job he rang Rush and asked for his advice and was told sternly by him to not take it. Was asking why and was told by Rush: "Because they won't take to you there in South Wales, Jan. You know what they think of the English in South Wales."

Roomed with him for years and thought he was f**king English 😂
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Apr 21, 2018 12:01:27 pm
      As a Liverpool footballer Jan Molby had class and as an after dinner speaker he also has loads of class.I still recall the F.A. Cup final against Everton when Ian Rush scored from a pass from Jan just inside the Everton half and the commentator was drooling over his vision.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Apr 21, 2018 07:03:57 pm
      See Jan regularly walking his tiny Dog and he is always willing to have a chat a real gentleman and true legend.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Apr 21, 2018 07:14:28 pm
      Jan was always guaranteed to have carlsberg on the front of his shirt during and after the game
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Apr 22, 2018 08:18:11 pm
      Good but I would've preferred more pure football stories rather than taking the slash out of a great legend.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Apr 22, 2018 08:51:25 pm
      Good but I would've preferred more pure football stories rather than taking the slash out of a great legend.

I hardly think Ian Rush is crying himself to sleep at having such stories divulged. I don't think you realise that they are told with affection and not malice. And it tells us a lot about the jovial and great atmosphere which was that amazing Liverpool team.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Apr 22, 2018 10:34:17 pm

It's part of Rushie's legend that he was as thick as pig sh*t and what made that team so special - they all regularly took the absolute piss out of each other. It's what made players. you could either handle that or you weren't cut out for Liverpool.

Spare a thought for Steve Nicol, some of the stories I've heard and read about the stuff the players used to do to him back in the day make the Rushie stories seem boring!!
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Apr 23, 2018 11:19:52 am
      It's part of Rushie's legend that he was as thick as pig sh*t and what made that team so special - they all regularly took the absolute piss out of each other. It's what made players. you could either handle that or you weren't cut out for Liverpool.

Spare a thought for Steve Nicol, some of the stories I've heard and read about the stuff the players used to do to him back in the day make the Rushie stories seem boring!!

I know that. Just would've preferred more football stories and not several piss takes of Rush.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: Apr 23, 2018 11:51:24 am
      I know that. Just would've preferred more football stories and not several piss takes of Rush.

I know a mate who's met Jan and had a bevvy with him, said he hardly ever talks about actual footy.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: Apr 23, 2018 12:11:04 pm
      I know a mate who's met Jan and had a bevvy with him, said he hardly ever talks about actual footy.

Some players never watch the game. David Johnson admitted that he's not that bothered about the game. The majority leave the game altogether once they retire.

Possibly the strangest case of a footballer giving up the game was Peter Knowles. Great player for Wolves in the 70's, scored over 100 goals but then at the age of 25 and at the height of his career, on the brink of an England call up retired to devote his life to being a Jehovah's Witness. He later worked as a milkman. By all accounts he never regretted giving up the game.
      « Last Edit: Apr 23, 2018 12:15:28 pm by Harrisimo »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #17: Apr 23, 2018 12:24:43 pm
      Some players never watch the game. David Johnson admitted that he's not that bothered about the game. The majority leave the game altogether once they retire.

Possibly the strangest case of a footballer giving up the game was Peter Knowles. Great player for Wolves in the 70's, scored over 100 goals but then at the age of 25 and at the height of his career, on the brink of an England call up retired to devote his life to being a Jehovah's Witness. He later worked as a milkman. By all accounts he never regretted giving up the game.

Milkmen probably get laid as much as professional footballers, perk of the job no doubt
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: Apr 23, 2018 12:35:09 pm
      Milkmen probably get laid as much as professional footballers, perk of the job no doubt

Well milk and religion don't mix...now milk and cornflakes...and I'm in..big time..
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #19: Apr 23, 2018 01:38:00 pm

Hang on mate, I'll try and remember the rest of his talk and post the full transcript for you.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #20: Apr 23, 2018 04:02:50 pm
      I hardly think Ian Rush is crying himself to sleep at having such stories divulged. I don't think you realise that they are told with affection and not malice. And it tells us a lot about the jovial and great atmosphere which was that amazing Liverpool team.

Well I didn't say they were said with malice. I know Molby was being tongue-in-cheek and that they are probably mates. Ron Yeats and others used to take the rise out of  Chris Lawlor, for being a very very quiet individual. One I remember was:

Ron Yeats...." We were playing five-a-side with Shanks, just basic stuff with cones for goalposts..anyway Shanks gets one and lashed a shot in...and starts shouting...goal..goal..n o..no..we said..over post..it was in says Shanks...it went in........RIGHT...Shanks says I'll sort this...*we'll ask Chris....Right...was it a goal Chris*.....Lawlor sheepishly says....over the post boss........and Shankley says........" My god...yer never speak...an' when yuu duu.....yu tell fu'kin' lies...."

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #21: Apr 23, 2018 04:10:54 pm

Heard one (never found out if it was true) about Hansen and Dalglish tricking Nicol into believing that he needed a passport to get out of Scotland and over the border into England. The story goes as far to the extent they bundled him into the boot of a car to 'smuggle' him over the border. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #22: Apr 23, 2018 05:20:24 pm
      Heard one (never found out if it was true) about Hansen and Dalglish tricking Nicol into believing that he needed a passport to get out of Scotland and over the border into England. The story goes as far to the extent they bundled him into the boot of a car to 'smuggle' him over the border. 

Don't know if I heard that one, did hear one about Nicol being left on the side of the road by Dalglish, Souness & Hansen, plus the other story of him being dangled outside a hotel window in Israel prior to the European Cup Final in 84.

Quick Reply