Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

The next 48 hours and our season.

Read 5179 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: The next 48 hours and our season.
      Reply #23: Aug 30, 2016 02:07:45 pm
      I think we are relying on the Jürgen factor rather than the quality of our players a little too much for comfort.
      That's the fear s@int and it's a logical fear at that. Put another way...

Take that c**t Mourinho. I F***ing hate him and understand why you'll read on here (time and again btw) that he only wins and keeps winning because he buys the best players. Fair enough comment, I'd say but the weird thing is the same people who say that are invariably the same people who also say... You don't need top players to win the League.  :roll:

That's where I differ, from them, I guess.

If winning titles was merely down to a manager's talent then the same manager would be winning it year after year and all without signing any top players.

* Why didn't Jürgen win the Bundesliga every year: was it because Bayern had better managers or better players?

* Would Jürgen have won the Bundesliga every year if he had the same players available to him as Bayern?

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2016 02:24:34 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #24: Aug 30, 2016 02:41:08 pm
      I trust him completely as our manager though, but it seems like every single LFC fan has been in disagreement with his prioritization in this market (no incoming LB or DM), but I think we also all want to see him prove us entirely wrong on that.

Yeah my feelings too mate. I expected a title challenge this season, but the squad looks just as unbalanced as it did last season. Really thought we might have added the quality we needed to make a real go of it this season.

Not given up yet by any means, but I think we are too reliant on certain players not being injured or losing form and as we have seen many times sod's law seems to pick out those players for special attention.

Definite feeling that we could have done more in this transfer window to address our problems and of a chance missed.

I think we are relying on the Jürgen factor rather than the quality of our players a little too much for comfort.     

Take that c**t Mourinho. I f**king hate him and understand why you'll read on here (time and again btw) that he only wins and keeps winning because he buys the best players. Fair enough comment, I'd say but the weird thing is the same people who say that are invariably the same people who also say... You don't need top players to win the League.  :roll:

If winning titles was merely down to a manager's talent then the same manager would be winning it year after year and all without signing any top players.

* Why didn't Jürgen win the Bundesliga every year: was it because Bayern had better managers or better players?

* Would Jürgen have won the Bundesliga every year if he had the same players available to him as Bayern?

Yep agree with pretty much all that.

Where I differ slightly (s@int, from your point.......sorry  ;)) is that I DO think we're significantly stronger than last season. Strong enough to win the league?.............well, in fairness, that is a 'reach' as they say.

I do wonder whether we will break the habit we've fored under FSG and do our recruitment in tranches........could Jürgen be looking to bed the first wave in fully......then move again in January?

Then again I may be trying to find a 'coping' strategy already.........'tis the daydreamers way........ :o
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #25: Aug 30, 2016 03:12:18 pm

Take that c**t Mourinho. I f**king hate him and understand why you'll read on here (time and again btw) that he only wins and keeps winning because he buys the best players. Fair enough comment, I'd say but the weird thing is the same people who say that are invariably the same people who also say... You don't need top players to win the League.  :roll:

It's a very fair argument you make. Where I would respectfully (no really  :) ) disagree is the part about winning the league "every year." Bayern is more dominant in Germany than any English team has been in large part because they keep buying the best players from all of their competitors (including some from Klopp's Dortmund after Dortmund surprised them.

But isn't a more realistic standard/goal for us to be league and Cup challengers and European participants/challengers every year, with the obvious caveat of breaking through and winning regularly? Even if you look at just the Manchester teams re spending, the obvious truth is that at least one of them won't be winning the league "every year." And yet we can't deny that they's spent out the wazoo.

I think our manager is building the squad and team to do that and when we get there, it is going to be glorious (and yes,I think we will content for top honors THIS season).

And of course it's perfectly fine for loyal fans to question this or that personnel decision. It's what fans have done since Archimedes was beheaded for shouting from the balcony that Nero should start throwing darts left-handed.
      valiver
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 30, 2016 03:16:30 pm
      Definitely feel as though the defensive left side is going to cost us points throughout the year. Had hoped for someone to come in but perhaps Moreno will learn his positioning or Milner will be adequate coverage. Its not as though we can just dream up a back and have him in the lineup. Not a lot of leftbacks good enough to come to our club and perform right away and most of them arent going to be transferred or if they are up for transfer their price is unrealistically inflated

Just hoping in 9 months we have done enough to finish top 4. GO LIVERPOOL GO REDS YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: Aug 30, 2016 03:51:47 pm
      Where I differ slightly (s@int, from your point.......sorry  ) is that I DO think we're significantly stronger than last season. Strong enough to win the league?.............well, in fairness, that is a 'reach' as they say.

I think the squad is stronger than last season mate, but still just as unbalanced (which was my point), while I also think the cover we have for Mane, Can, Karius and Clyne is not as strong as I would like. (maybe I'm being a little harsh on Mignolet tbh)

I don't like the false nine we are playing (although I do like Firmino), but we still have no left winger, and I don't feel that a lot of our players are particularly suited to the system Jürgen is trying to impose.

Sorry if it comes across as one big moan, because I don't think things are THAT bad, just that with a couple of judicious signings things could have been THAT much better. 
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2016 04:03:28 pm by s@int »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #28: Aug 30, 2016 04:09:43 pm
      I think the squad is stronger than last season mate, but still just as unbalanced (which was my point), while I think the cover we have for Mane, Can, Karius and Clyne is not as strong as I would like. (maybe I'm being a little harsh on Mignolet tbh)

I don't like the false nine we are playing (although I do like Firmino), but we still have no left winger, and I don't feel that a lot of our players are particularly suited to the system Jürgen is trying to impose.

Sorry if it comes across as one big moan, because I don't think things are THAT bad, just that with a couple of judicious signings things could have been THAT much better. 

Ah gotcha - my bad. Again I don't think we're as unbalanced as we were but still lopsided........

Ideally I would have liked a true sitter in the middle - not an DM as such - plus a left back and another attacker.......

Must admit I did hope (against FSG form) that we'd do something else when Benteke and Mario went but a) it doesn't look like it and b) he hasn't, frustratingly.....

I think we'll be much improved as we are.......but agree it could have been better.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #29: Aug 30, 2016 04:23:57 pm
      That's as close to being 100% as I've seen mate.

Personally I can't see us winning the League with what we have - I guess then it then all boils down what one deems passable/acceptable to be labeled a 'success'.

I'll be disappointed, if we only emulate the failure of last season, for example, where others might not but each to their own. If Jürgen doesn't want to (or, in reality, can't) attract a top quality, before deadline, it will feel like an opportunity lost, given we actually do have the resources but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating come May.

You are right tho' - if Jürgen wants to 'take the rap' so be it... he can have any praise too.

The real question is, what if that does happen? What if we suffer another mid-table finish, what then? If it becomes clear that Klopp still won't invest in top players do we change the manager again for someone who will? If it becomes clear FSG won't invest in top players, do they pack their bags and go? Do we leave both manager and owners in place and carry on as if nothing has happened in the hopes it pays off the following season? Nobody has stopped to think what happens next if this season ends in failure. He's taken a gamble of such proportions that there could be lasting repercussions for the club for years to come, and that opens up an even bigger question. Does he have the right to do that? This summer has left us with more questions than answers, unfortunately.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #30: Aug 30, 2016 04:26:13 pm
      I think we need to sign one more attacking mid.... :laugh:
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #31: Aug 30, 2016 04:28:49 pm
      We need some quality in a couple of positions so all this let Jürgen do things on the cheap thing is purely for the owners financial gain and not for our success.

Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #32: Aug 30, 2016 04:31:42 pm
      Nothing will happen IMO other than a few loan outgoings.

Far too late now to completing any signings that you're not close to signing (and we're not close to anyone).

Shame really, yet another disappointing window...2 very good signings but not addressed our issues.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33: Aug 30, 2016 04:35:29 pm
      The real question is, what if that does happen? What if we suffer another mid-table finish, what then? If it becomes clear that Klopp still won't invest in top players do we change the manager again for someone who will? If it becomes clear FSG won't invest in top players, do they pack their bags and go? Do we leave both manager and owners in place and carry on as if nothing has happened in the hopes it pays off the following season? Nobody has stopped to think what happens next if this season ends in failure. He's taken a gamble of such proportions that there could be lasting repercussions for the club for years to come, and that opens up an even bigger question. Does he have the right to do that?

I don't think we have any option but to go with Klopp even if we finish tits up this season. Just have to hope that if things do go wrong it is a case of always darkest before the dawn.

I think it is pretty unthinkable to sack Klopp after a couple of seasons, so we just have to give him time and hope.

Obviously another season of no CL would affect our future transfers, our standing and status and maybe even who we can keep at the club, so I do understand your concern, but I really don't at this point think there is any alternative.

I think there is more chance that we change owners than managers.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #34: Aug 30, 2016 04:43:58 pm
      I expected a title challenge this season, but the squad looks just as unbalanced as it did last season.
      I'd noticed that too s@int; the left side, in particular seems a bit off-kilter, for example...  at centre half, we have Lovren, (Sakho), and Klavan who all prefer to play on the left of a pair so we are (were) too well off in that area but at left-back and a dedicated left 'wing' we lack proper quality and/or proper depth, in my opinion.

On the right we have better quality (IMO) with Matip, Clyne and Mane but no depth - who do you start, in their stead, that are as effective in 'the system'; a system which is 'King' btw?

So just a couple of injuries [Clyne and Mane] sees a drastically weakened team, in my opinion and that just can't be right after this length of time and money.

Even after seven signings there appears to be not much balance and even less depth.  :-\

Listen; I'm probably just on a downer (apparently it can happen with the brainfuck I had) and all will be fine - I certainly hope so.  :laugh:
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #35: Aug 30, 2016 04:47:25 pm
      Trouble is, without matching the spending of Utd, city or Chelsea, we're destined to struggle to make even CL qualification places, let alone win the league which is what we all want. We know the battle between Spurs, Arsenal and ourselves will be bitterly fought, but I'm inclined to think atm they have stronger squads than us.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #36: Aug 30, 2016 05:00:42 pm
      Then again I may be trying to find a 'coping' strategy
      A bottle of Bucky, Tramadol and a deep fried Mars Bar... coping strategy sorted.  8)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #37: Aug 30, 2016 05:09:19 pm
      A bottle of Bucky, Tramadol and a deep fried Mars Bar... coping strategy sorted.  8)

Hmm - all well and good, but what would my Saturday night treat be then?

On serious note I grew up in the town that made Buckie great. I had a mate - let's call him Jim - who used to drink the neck out a bottle of Buckie (or El Dorado in times of want) and top it up with a bottle of Benylin.......

He was a helluva drummer mind.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #38: Aug 30, 2016 05:11:12 pm
      I don't see the next 48 hours having much (if any effect) on our season. Klopp was determined to get his incoming targets in early, emphasising the importance of our pre season. In relation to any outgoings, if they're being let go then they're not going to get a game under Jürgen anyway.

And as far as our weaker areas are concerned, Klopp has said from the beginning that he will do his work on the training ground. Whilst I am as anxious about certain areas as everyone, I am willing to trust in the manager and give him the time to implement his ideas and methods. Buying in someone is the obvious quick fix, but if we can be proven wrong and we're happy with how these positions turn out come May then all the better.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #39: Aug 30, 2016 05:19:09 pm
      Honestly don't see another player coming through the door , think it would have happened by now as leaving it late on into deadline day has been an absolute abortion of a tactic used by us in recent times , the price goes up and we fck off out of town well that's the usual scenario , I think ultimately the left back position could cost us dearly over the course of a season as every fck up usually costs us a goal .
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #40: Aug 30, 2016 06:16:29 pm
      Hmm - all well and good, but what would my Saturday night treat be then?

On serious note I grew up in the town that made Buckie great. I had a mate - let's call him Jim - who used to drink the neck out a bottle of Buckie (or El Dorado in times of want) and top it up with a bottle of Benylin.......

He was a helluva drummer mind.

I thought that was Keith? Or was it John? Jim???
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #41: Aug 30, 2016 06:18:01 pm
      Have a sneaky feeling we might have one more before the window closes. A defender
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #42: Aug 30, 2016 07:35:51 pm
      I think we'll sign a left back. I simply cannot believe that we won't.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43: Aug 30, 2016 07:46:09 pm
      I also think we'll be getting a LB/CB although possibly just on loan.

BTW I think that as a team and squad we are vastly improved over last season and results will prove this. I still believe we'll get top4 and that the top 4 will be Man City, Chelsea, Manure and us.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #44: Aug 30, 2016 08:52:03 pm
      Got to be a LB and if not more importantly a DCM we have lucas only . Can is  not a DCM the sooner people see that the better in fact when he surges forward he is our best ACM
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #45: Aug 30, 2016 08:56:38 pm
      We desperately need a left back, everyone who follows the premiership can see that.

I'll be very surprised if we sign one though.

The thing I'm most surprised about though is the fact that we went for Chilwell, failed to get him and then just stopped looking because apparently Milner can play there (which I don't think anyone is convinced by)

So if we tried to buy one and failed, what made Klopp stop looking?

Quick Reply