Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.6%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      7 (4.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      11 (6.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      23 (14.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      24 (14.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      85 (52.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      5 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Kevin Stewart
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Voting closed: Sep 14, 2016 07:48:54 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27745 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Sep 11, 2016 08:35:42 am
      Great performance, bad mistake from Lucas could have cost us, but we were too good for Leicester.
      Anfield looked resplendent, the new stand is very impressive, altogether a great day.
      On a side note, West Ham may live to regret moving to their new stadium, it lacks any atmosphere, and the fans are too far away from the pitch. Redeveloping Anfield was definitely the right way to go.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #461: Sep 11, 2016 08:38:22 am

Corrected that for you - my pleasure. :)
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #462: Sep 11, 2016 08:44:47 am
      Let's give a shout out for Matip again - didn't notice him, but quietly and confidently went about his work.

Importantly though, Henderson played a blinder that was his best performance since the 2013/14 season. Picked up a good few interceptions,and the through balls for a couple of the goals were sublime.

I've poured a lot of scorn on him, so I was very sceptical of him to perform, but tonight he really did a great job. Fair play to him - let's hope he proves me wrong again and again and again this season.

Sell him. I say sell him. ;)

Actually, I still maintain he is not good enough for Liverpool.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #463: Sep 11, 2016 09:23:03 am
      As for the match, just watching the replay and we were f**king awesome. Apart from a few errors we're going to put the shits up most teams we meet this season.

Long may that last too.  We do want teams to have the nagging doubt at the back of their mind that they are going to be on the end of a four goal scoreline.

Mane adds a new dimension to our attack.  The same way Suarez took defenders away from Sturridge etc I think he will do the same and Firmino/Sturridge should get the benefit.

As for Lallana.  Thought he was a gonner with the signings but he looks like he has seen where Joe Allen has ended up and is keen to avoid the same fate. 

Looks like him and Coutinho are going to push each other for a place in the side.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #464: Sep 11, 2016 09:32:35 am
      After ripping Leicester a new one, this is all you can say about him? You have a problem.

He was devastating in Leicester's half. Making runs, linking up with his teammates, providing through balls and made a terrific run for his first and second goal - both starting from outside the box.

You are the one actually that has a problem mate and I should be the one asking, "what's wrong with you mate"??? What do you expect me to say. Do you expect me to elevate him to a status of god after this game? I have already said Firminho is good 1 in 5 games and I maintain my stand and I do realise he excels inside the box. Pls provide valid points in your argument and not starting a fight with many forumners here when they don't share the same opinion as yours.

You truly have a problem mate. Of late, i do notice you have the knack of picking a fight with everyone that has a different opinion than  yours with a less than courteous statements and bear in mind there are many senior members here that are very knowledgable about the game and a little bit of courtesy would do you a world of a good. I'm sure the mods would already have taken notice of you by now.  if you are one of the mods here I'm out of this place for good.  It will be greatly appreciated if you could put me on ignore if you do not agree with my points as it is pointless debating with you as you would love the entire fan base here to be in absolute agreement with your points and soon you will be talking to yourself. Have a nice day mate.
      « Last Edit: Sep 11, 2016 09:50:34 am by redkop63 »
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #465: Sep 11, 2016 09:33:48 am
      I'm not even mad, but quite surprised to see that only a few posts have been made as we won. Had we lost the game, I'm pretty sure some people would have been ready to take out their war- keyboards.

Amazing, what a win can do to this place, that too a very convincing one.
      I think it's just a case of people having cautious optimism. Enjoy the win , get ready for the next game but lets not get carried away.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #466: Sep 11, 2016 09:34:20 am
      Long may that last too.  We do want teams to have the nagging doubt at the back of their mind that they are going to be on the end of a four goal scoreline.

Mane adds a new dimension to our attack.  The same way Suarez took defenders away from Sturridge etc I think he will do the same and Firmino/Sturridge should get the benefit.

As for Lallana.  Thought he was a gonner with the signings but he looks like he has seen where Joe Allen has ended up and is keen to avoid the same fate. 

Looks like him and Coutinho are going to push each other for a place in the side.

Will be good for Coutinho that too, to know he isn't the guaranteed starter or the 'star' man, I personally believe he goes missing far to often to be regarded as 'undroppable' especially when we have Adam there who is going to be giving 100% everytime, think Klopp really likes what Lallana offers us.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #467: Sep 11, 2016 09:52:31 am
      Thought we were fantastic from back to front today with the one exception of the mistake from Lucas, which is bound to happen from time to time when trying to play out from the back ala Barcelona (watch how our 2 central defenders split).

We moved the ball around quickly and with purpose for the most part and the transition from defence to attack in some cases was truly electric, with Mane, Sturridge and Firminho doing a lot of unselfish running and providing options and creating space for one and other.

The Pressing from back to front never really allowed Leicester any time or space or allowed them to settle and employ their own game plan, special mention to Lallana here he is tireless and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's covered the longest distance in the league so far this season and by quite a margin.

Defence for the most part where comfortable and handled just about everything that came at us (Teams inevitably will get a chance or two), Matip looks really good and Milner appears to be growing into that LB role even in an enforced chopping and changing back 4.

Hopefully we can turn over the Chavs on Friday night with a similar performance and 10 points from the opening 5 games with 4 away including Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and then last seasons champions at home doesn't look too bad at all.

littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #468: Sep 11, 2016 09:52:41 am
      That's where you have to highlight who doesn't respond mate, the ones who can't congratulate the team on a win but are first to come in and cause grief at the merest hint of misery are the prime suspects for having absolutely zero affinity for our club, players or manager.

Irony. You've just took time out of your life to make a negative post , after a good win , to ask some sort of " where are they now ? " question . Asking why people aren't getting all wet after the win and coming on here to let rip. Why not just enjoy it ?
      By the way , there is no such person anywhere who supports the club that has no affinity for the manager, players or club. How is that even possible.
      I could pick a lot of holes in the performance from yesterday , as could many. But not enjoy it? Or someone out there is actually upset that their team won 4-1 ? Come on.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #469: Sep 11, 2016 10:04:22 am
      Ranieri showed yesterday how to lose with class. No moaning about the ref (even though it was them who benefited anyway), admitting the better team won, no slagging off his players for losing, congratulated the winning team, gave us a little praise etc.

Mourinho on the other hand: "The ref wore a blue shirt waahh waahh waahh", "We were the better team waahh waahh waahh"  :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #470: Sep 11, 2016 10:12:58 am
      Just finished watching the game.

Great result, fantastic performance, slick goals, 3 points.

What's not to like.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #471: Sep 11, 2016 10:15:07 am
      That game was alright, wasn't it?!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #472: Sep 11, 2016 10:45:13 am
      Fantastic game from our lads, i was gutted i couldn't watch the first half, seen just the 2nd.

I think it was a decent defensive display also, bar the brainfart from Lucas.

We are a nightmare to play against and that's what counts the most, the fear factor the other teams feel when they are facing us is something we long have strived for, which was gone the moment Suarez was sold.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #473: Sep 11, 2016 10:46:48 am
      You are the one actually that has a problem mate and I should be the one asking, "what's wrong with you mate"??? What do you expect me to say. Do you expect me to elevate him to a status of god after this game? I have already said Firminho is good 1 in 5 games and I maintain my stand and I do realise he excels inside the box. Pls provide valid points in your argument and not starting a fight with many forumners here when they don't share the same opinion as yours.

You truly have a problem mate. Of late, i do notice you have the knack of picking a fight with everyone that has a different opinion than  yours with a less than courteous statements and bear in mind there are many senior members here that are very knowledgable about the game and a little bit of courtesy would do you a world of a good. I'm sure the mods would already have taken notice of you by now.  if you are one of the mods here I'm out of this place for good.  It will be greatly appreciated if you could put me on ignore if you do not agree with my points as it is pointless debating with you as you would love the entire fan base here to be in absolute agreement with your points and soon you will be talking to yourself. Have a nice day mate.

I stink he is one of the first names on the team sheet mate.

He was our best player last season on the goals side being directly involved in 17 with 10 of them being goals making him our top scorer, if that's not good enough to be labeled a key player I don't know what is.

5 games into this season he has scored 2 and created 14 chances. Stats available on squawka.

If this isn't a good enough contribution I don't know what is. Vastly underrated player by a lot of people in here.

In my opinion he'll get close to 20 goals this season and at least double digit assists.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #474: Sep 11, 2016 10:49:37 am
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #475: Sep 11, 2016 10:52:21 am
      My ratings.

Migs. One of his better days, culminating in a good save from Vardy. I slightly blame him for the goal as I'd like to have seen him just belt it down field when we're 2-0 up, but no doubt was told to play it out. Good game though in possibly his last appearance for a wee while. 8/10.

Milner. Thought he was brilliant against an absolute top performer. Good assist for the first goal, usual tireless effort. He's been a brilliant signing. 8/10.

Matip. Rolls Royce performance from the big man, never put a foot wrong. 8/10.

Lucas.  Aside from his error was brilliant. Still gets a good mark despite it. 8/10.

Clyne. His usual solid self. 7/10.

Hendo. His best performance in a red shirt for ages. Was everywhere and very close to MOM. Had he not ballooned his chance (again) he might have got it. 9/10.

Wijnaldum. He's getting there but still a bit to work on. 7/10.

Lallana. 2nd half MOM and a superb goal. When he adds in end product like he is doing, he's a top player and worth all of what we paid for him. Those of us who practically wrote him off were wrong. 9/10.

Mane. Took his goal well and was a constant threat. Excellent game all around.  8/10.

Bobby Firmino. Hugely benefitted from been given not only the freedom to roam, but also from having a proper focal point centre forward to work off. He got his gander up with an utterly stunning kill of a dropping ball then just got better and better. Hopefully his performance was so good it once and for all settled any arguments about what his best position is. If he can produce performances like this consistently, he's right up there with the best players in the league. I betcha if we let Chelsea choose our team for Friday, Bobby at centre forward and not as the creative influence with freedom would be the first name on the team sheet. Magnificent yesterday. 10/10.

Sturridge. If Bobby at centre forward would be Chelseas first pick, Danny either wide right or on the bench would be their second. He was utterly brilliant back in his obvious rightful position, fantastic assist for the second and if match sharper would have had a couple himself. 9/10.

Jürgen. Got everything spot on. We've been threatening to batter someone and we did. Even a point now at Chelsea would IMHO render our start as good considering our fixtures. Defeat would leave it as OK, a win would have it as excellent in my book. Anyway, well in from the big fella, love the "don't sing my name" stuff too. 10/10.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #476: Sep 11, 2016 10:55:56 am
      Everybody Happy ?
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #477: Sep 11, 2016 11:15:06 am

I am...

Great performance all round.
      Thought Lucas and Milner kept Mahrez virtually out of the game and we exposed Leicester into just hoofing long balls up to steptoe all afternoon.
      Four top class goals and it should've been six or seven really.
      That Huth is a nutter and selling Kante will haunt Leicester all season long.

Gave Firmino my MOTM, his footwork and skill level has defo moved up a notch or two in my book..

Lets hope we can deliver the same performance at Chelski next week.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #478: Sep 11, 2016 11:23:22 am
      What a day yesterday was. First home game of the season sat in my new season ticket seat in the upper centenary. I had the perfect view of the new main stand which is just incredible. It was lovely weather for a game of football hosting the champions.

I've been critical of Jurgens decisions as late but I've got to say, he got everything spot on last night and I thought we were brilliant start to finish.

Mignolet - he actually made a couple of good stops, one sticks in my mind which was the vardy save in the second half. But as usual he brings panic to the back line and involves himself with chaos and madness. I'm never comfortable with him in goal.

Clyne - you can always rely on clyne to be solid, he always gives you a 7/8 out of 10 every week. But I thought going forward he wasn't great yesterday.

Matip - very good. Calm and composed, won everything in the air, good positioning and he's pretty quick for such a big feller too.

Lucas - apart from that horrific blunder towards the end of the first half, he had a very good game as well. He defended superbly. He was solid.

Milner - he was a lot better but was caught of position once or twice, luckily we didn't get punished, but in general had a very good game.

Henderson - I've made no secret that I don't rate Jordan one bit but I thought he was fantastic yesterday. I'm really surprised he hasn't got more votes in the motm poll. He was my motm by a clear mile and my only criticism is the sitter he missed at the end. Maybe it went unnoticed to people watching on the telly but let me tell you, he covered every blade of grass and he really did lead by example, even from where I was you could hear him shouting and encouraging his team mates. I thought he was brilliant.

Wijnaldum - very quiet first half but he was starting to get involved in the second. Wasn't surprised to see him come off though.

Lallana - great strike for his goal and some nice bits of play at times, linked up well.

Firmino - definitely a contender for motm he had a brilliant game. I've always thought he would be more suited playing out wide than in the middle and he showed why yesterday. Leicester couldn't get near him and anything we did went through him.

Mane - another good game for us, he offers us something different doesn't he, defenders are terrified of his pace. He really is making me eat my words.

Sturridge - did OK for me, should have scored but came up with a nice assist. Sometimes I think he try's too hard though.

Very solid performance from us, never in any danger really apart from when we were messing around at the back and we looked very good going forward. Great result, great performance, well done Jürgen and the boys.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #479: Sep 11, 2016 11:34:22 am

Very happy, but then I wasn't one of those who was filled with gloom just a few days ago either. I've been saying for quite some time that we are a much better team this season. With the exception of the Burnley result it has been a very good start for the team.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #480: Sep 11, 2016 11:34:24 am
      Ranieri showed yesterday how to lose with class. No moaning about the ref (even though it was them who benefited anyway), admitting the better team won, no slagging off his players for losing, congratulated the winning team, gave us a little praise etc.

Mourinho on the other hand: "The ref wore a blue shirt waahh waahh waahh", "We were the better team waahh waahh waahh"  :D

HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #481: Sep 11, 2016 11:40:12 am

I have always liked Ranieri and his comments and class come as no surprise.

We were fantastic at times yesterday and very easy on the eye. If we could improve our game management of cutting out mistakes and holding on to a lead that we struggle with at times then we would be the real deal.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #482: Sep 11, 2016 12:19:51 pm

Quick Reply