Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. In July 06 we asked if Pennant was a good signing. 90% of you said Yes. So, was Pennant a good signing?

Yes
      (26.2%)
      No
      (73.8%)

Jermaine Pennant (Winger)

Read 42467 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Jermaine Pennant
      Reply #46: Jul 10, 2008 09:32:21 pm
      This thread was created about 2 years ago and is only on the 2nd page, im getting the feeling he is'nt everyones fave player in the team :D
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #47: Jul 10, 2008 10:14:52 pm
      I still like him, think he is a good player but needs to be given a run of games just like anyone else. Hope he regains that athens form if he stays
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #48: Jul 10, 2008 10:31:12 pm
      This thread was created about 2 years ago and is only on the 2nd page, im getting the feeling he is'nt everyones fave player in the team :D

I think he just gets on with it TBH and does not cause too much debate with his performances, I would like to see him stay but we need to move forward now and get a right wing player who will fight for his place and keep it.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #49: Jul 11, 2008 02:02:27 am
      For me depends on what Rafa plans to do with the formation plays. I think playing a 4-4-2 is where Pennant can play his natural role as the wide player trying to hit the bi-line and getting balls into the box rather than playing more of a attacking mid role like Yossi plays. The thing that often really hurts him in terms of people liking him is he doesn't score many goals.

I always thought he was a good player and did pretty well his first season but he had a tough time after getting hurt finding his way into the side.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #50: Jul 21, 2008 12:15:02 pm
      http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8364026/Pennant---Keane-would-be-welcome

Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant is excited about the possibility that Robbie Keane could move to Anfield from Spurs.

Keane is reportedly anxious to make the move and Liverpool reciprocate the feeling. Pennant believes a Keane-Fernando Torres partnership would strike terror into defenders everywhere.

He said: "Robbie is a great player. He's sharp around the box and is a great finisher.

"With Torres up front as well, it will be a great partnership. They could be as good as anything in the Premier League."

Despite being linked with a move to Blackburn Rovers, Pennant is adamant that he wants to remain a Red, saying: "I'm not thinking about leaving at all."
      ________________________ ________________________ _____________________

Isn't it nice that no player wants to leave LFC? I guess it's more prestigious to be called a Liverpool FC player than to win a double as a Man U player
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #51: Jul 21, 2008 12:35:36 pm
      Great to see everyone wants to stay. I think i have said this before but i still wonder how Pennants season would have panned out without that injury he had.

Thinking back to this ...

PENNANT: I’VE NEVER PLAYED BETTER

Jermaine Pennant has reflected on his impressive start to the new league season and admitted: 'I’m in the best form of my life.'
      The Liverpool winger has been one of the stars of the season so far as the Reds have climbed to the top of the Barclays Premier League and secured their place in the group stages of the Champions League.

Pennant's trickery on either flank has been a major asset for Rafa Benitez so far this term and the former Birmingham man insists he's enjoying his football more than ever.

"I probably am playing the best football of my career at the moment," he said.

"The team are playing well, we're scoring goals, winning games and I think we're all enjoying our football.

"I think my attacking play has been good but I'm also working hard all the time on the defensive side of my game and that's getting better all the time.

"I finished last season well and my aim over the summer was to make sure I started this campaign in the same way. To play well in a Champions League final was a massive boost to my confidence and that has definitely helped me perform to a higher standard more regularly this year.

"I still have work to do though. Although I'm happy with my form at the moment I know there is more to come. For a start, I could score more goals. That's a part of my game which I'm definitely capable of improving on and I'll be looking to get on the scoresheet more often as the season goes on."

Pennant also reiterated his disappointment at missing out on the latest England squad, even though coach Steve McClaren has confirmed he was close to making the list this time around.

But, when it comes to a matter of club versus country, there's only one winner.

"Of course I want to play for England," he said. "It's everyone's dream to play for their country and I'm no different.

"I know the manager said I was close to being included, but obviously I wasn't close enough.

"All I can do is keep working hard for Liverpool and see what happens. Liverpool is my priority. If it came down to a choice of winning the league with Liverpool or playing for England then there's only one winner there. It would be Liverpool every time.

"It's so long since we won the league and I'd love to be a part of the first team to do it for many years."

---------------------

This is the Jermaine Pennant i like to see, in my eyes he's a confidence player although he may not seem it, i feel he thrives upon having confidence to help push him on a bit and having a big target too also helps. With us wanting the premiership perhaps more than ever this coming season i feel we could see the best of Pennant. I feel everyone has to atleast admit, when he was in that great run of form before the injury it was the best play we had seen in that wide right position for a long time. I do think he has alot to offer and he just needs a run in the side which gives him confidence to perform how he can. If you look at the birmingham and fulham games last season he did extremely well, although it wasnt the best opposition my point is that he had been out of the side for a long time before these games and he got his chance and grabbed it with both hands.

He can be a very good player for us, he started the season well and ended it well, i hope he stays and gets a chance to prove alot of people wrong. He seems to just want to succeed reallly and i for one hope he does in a liverpool shirt.

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #52: Jul 21, 2008 01:32:36 pm
      One thing that pisses me off when some people talk about Pennant is that they slate him really bad when he has a crap day, but then when he plays well everyones like yea he played alright.  I think he is a class player and considering he was out of the team for a long spell last season he did well towards the end to keep his good form and is probably Liverpool's most underrated player of the century!

Better things will come from this lad and I hope it will be at Liverpool I really do but ever since Kuyt has started playing on the right wing more it's been more effective for the team only because Kuyt scores from that position though.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #53: Jul 21, 2008 03:39:09 pm
      I quite like Pennant and always have done its just he is inconsistant although he was getting a lot better but then picked up that leg injury last season. one game in particualr stands out (although he has done it a few times) when we played chelsea in the semi final 2nd leg 2007 and he had Ashley Cole is knots and was ripping him apart.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #54: Jul 21, 2008 07:34:44 pm
      I quite like Pennant and always have done its just he is inconsistant although he was getting a lot better but then picked up that leg injury last season. one game in particualr stands out (although he has done it a few times) when we played chelsea in the semi final 2nd leg 2007 and he had Ashley Cole is knots and was ripping him apart.

He is a very good big game player I reckon, always getting in on the action and everytime people say he does not score much I get visions of that goal he scored against Cech from like 20 yards out, cross in from Gerrard, deflects off the defender, chest down then whack! no f**ker would have had that!
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #55: Jul 21, 2008 10:39:56 pm
      My view on Pennant when he signed was not one of great enthusiasm.  I did not think that he had the necessary quality required. Unfortunately this has not changed albeit my view is based on TV and not watching every wk. Are we selling?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #56: Jul 21, 2008 11:44:50 pm

not that i am aware of, he said that he wants to stay anyway
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #57: Jul 22, 2008 12:10:26 am
      I've always liked Pennant, always thought he give us somethin down that right. I always supported him when others doubted him, especially when he first signed and he struggled to adapt to life at Liverpool. But from January 07-May 07 he was our best player. He ran Milan raggered in Athens, which was the highlight of his change in form. Then the start of last year and he was in and out with injuries, I don't think he's refound that form just yet. I'd like to see him get back to his best because I think he can cause any defender problems and he knows how to cross, just as long as there's someone there to knock it home.
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #58: Jul 22, 2008 12:33:01 am
      I think he is an excellent crosser of the ball which is vital for a good winger. He does have a lot of critics however I think that the proportion is over the top at times. He is certainly a quality player on his day, for example He was our best player in the champions league final against AC Milan (1-0 defeat).

As for his attitude problem, I seem to remember Rafa praising him not long ago after Jermaine requested a game in the reserves in order to boost his fitness level.

I'd like to see him stay certainly if we cannot buy a right winger. If another winger was bought like bentley for exxample, I think it would provide great competition on that side. He seems to be a popular lad in the dressing room, so I see him as a useful, quality winger who should stay.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #59: Jul 25, 2008 09:47:37 am
      http://www.thisisnottscounty.co.uk/News/Football-ace-pennant33041114.aspx

The father of Premiership footballer Jermaine Pennant has appeared in court charged with dealing class A drugs.

Gary Pennant, 44, of Highurst Court, Radford, spoke only to confirm his name and address during the five-minute hearing at Nottingham Magistrates' Court yesterday.

No pleas were entered to charges of dealing crack cocaine and heroin from his home.

Following the allegations, Nottingham City Homes successfully applied to have him evicted from his home.

Jermaine started his football career at Notts County before moving to Arsenal and eventually Liverpool.

Pennant Snr was bailed until September 22.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____

Pennant doesn't need this publicity.
      Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #60: Jul 25, 2008 10:00:16 am
      Niether does Rafa if he wants to offload him and raise some cash.  Just another reminder of how fu**ed up JP's private life can get.  Admittedly this one's not his fault but tar and brush and all that
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #61: Jul 25, 2008 10:58:41 am
      I have always rated Pennant.Such a hard working lad and has got so much vision.I personally think he is more effective than Kuyt on the right hand side and his crossing his awesome.Hope we can hang onto him!
      Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #62: Jul 25, 2008 11:10:41 am
      I'm still not sure to be honest.  Sometimes he's awesome, other times (more recently) he goes missing for ages and just seems to try too hard when he does get the ball.  Don't get me wrong I can see his qualities, his early crossing is superb, but I just don't see how he will get too many games with the right sided players we have.  If we could get a half decent fee, it may be worth cashing in and putting the money towards a top winger.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #63: Jul 25, 2008 11:25:20 am
      ^^^^^^^

but the things is what do you class as a decent fee these days, as we have seen the fee's are going sky high so should'nt we demand near on £12m for him
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #64: Jul 25, 2008 12:55:40 pm
      Pennant always lose the ball, We must sold him, but I don't think that pay us more than 6-8£m
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #65: Jul 28, 2008 10:59:42 pm
      http://www.aloadofw**k.com/article.php?id=104303

Blackburn have deal for Liverpool's Pennant
      aloadofw**k.com - July 27, 2008

Blackburn Rovers have an agreement for Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant.
      The People says Rovers boss Paul Ince will pay £4m, rising to £6m, for bad-boy Pennant, ahead of the sale of David Bentley to Tottenham.
      ________________________ ________________________ __________________

Time for Rafa Benitez to throw a curve ball. Include Bentley in the Pennant deal.

But the news is from 'Tribal Football' anyway. Not Believable.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Jul 30, 2008 12:58:26 am
      i reckon if we dont sign anuva right winger then definately keep hold of him. get movin rafa with the silva bid :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #67: Jul 30, 2008 02:36:27 am
      i would quite like pennant to stay, he is a player that has the ability to change the game, although he may be inconsistent he can still whip in some brillaint crosses and with keane on the end of the as well as torres then he could get alot of assists in the coming season
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #68: Jul 30, 2008 01:44:13 pm
      I reckon if we dont sign anuva right winger then definately keep hold of him. get movin rafa with the silva bid :)

That up and coming Brazillian hot shot?

I would quite like pennant to stay, he is a player that has the ability to change the game, although he may be inconsistent he can still whip in some brillaint crosses and with keane on the end of the as well as torres then he could get alot of assists in the coming season

Agreed he definitely has something different than your average winger, but as I have said before there's only so much a player can take and Pennant needs more games!

Quick Reply