Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Labour Government - running out of ideas?

Read 1001 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Labour Government - running out of ideas?
      Nov 07, 2007 12:17:49 am
      What do you reckon of some of these plans for the 12 months ahead?

Dormant Bank and Building Society Accounts Bill

Allows the government to use money held in bank and building society accounts which have not been used for 15 years to provide more youth facilities. Applies to the whole UK.

Human Tissues and Embryos Bill

Would ensure the creation and use of all human embryos outside the body is regulated. The bill also proposes a ban on selecting the sex of babies for non-medical reasons and would recognise same-sex couples as legal parents of children conceived through the use of donated sperm, eggs or embryos. Applies to the whole UK, although there are some provisions involving the changes to legal parenthood in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

And they are about the two most interesting bills in the whole bunch.  Check out that top one - what a sneaky bunch of buggers.  Is that not technically stealing?

Here's the rest
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7080446.stm

Hardly exciting dynamic life-changing 'let's sort this country out' type stuff is it?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Labour Government - running out of ideas?
      Reply #1: Nov 07, 2007 09:39:05 am
      I definitely think it's time for Labour to go, and things like this just reinforce my opinion. We have an immigration problem of epidemic proportions, our youth are running wild killing each other, people using the NHS come out more ill than they went in, so let's regulate the use of embryos and steal peoples hard earned money ???

The sad thing is whoever comes in will be just as bad. It might sound cynical, but I've come to the conclusion that we're not gonna get a good government so I'm just gonna go for the ones that tax the least for a bad job. Definitely a Tory vote for me.
      Cy
      Reply #2: Nov 07, 2007 10:25:16 am
      Unfortunately we cannot be surprised by the top one, Brown promised that pensions will be safe when he decided to take billions of pounds each year to funds Blair policies, result well pensioners can't pay their heating, eat never mind been properly cared.

On the immigration point I really understand your point of view, I mean yes I moved from France to England, but I speak the language, pay my taxes, have a roast on Sunday and watch the footie at the pub when I can't go to Anfield! What i am saying is that I live like an English person and participate actively to the economy of this nation. Too many people come in England and expect to live their life exactly the way they do back where they come from and will claim benefit without been putting money in the system and won't even try to speak the language, surely this is wrong. The problem is for too many years English GOV put in places system who didn't required for minorities to actually getting involved with British culture: translation of all documentations, social support for getting benefit etc...

I'm working with young offender and through the years I have seen the same guys going around the system without getting out of it, arrested-prison-out on probation orders-hostels-back to offending-arrested and you have your circle.....Through my work I'm going regularly in prisons and it's full full full of young lads thinking that it is cool to be there, "you ain't nobody if you didn't had time inside" is what most of the young I see inside are telling me, surely that means that the system is not working...Probation officers who used to be there to actively working with offenders on treatment and groups work and other incentives to reduced the risk of offending again are now told to fit the numbers the Home office is giving them to hit, therefore they lost control of the people they are dealing with and the consequences are here to see..

I should be voting labour and next election I'll have to vote for torries because brown is making a moquery of the values of labour. This labour GOV has been reducing funds for charities dealing with offenders for years (in some hostels now you'll have a ratio of 2 staff for 70 residents), stealing pensions funds money to pays for scheme like ID cards, make the rich richer and the poor poorer...

Brown said that he has a new vision for the country, what has he done the last 10 years then?

The other point I want to make is, how on Earth Brown can look at himself in the mirror and called himself Prime Minister, it's about time for you guys to campaign in a change of the rules of election, IMO you should electing a man not a party, Brown does not have a mandate but nothing can be done against him to not holding election for an other 2 years if he want to....and they call that democracy?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Nov 07, 2007 11:09:28 pm
      That's a very good point of view Cy. I guess you're on the front line at work so to speak because you witness a system that doesn't work everyday. It must feel like you're fighting a losing battle sometimes?

The Dormant Bank and Building Society Accounts Bill just takes the piss!! It's almost like saying we'll have a cut of nearly everything you use your hard earned money on and if you don't use it in a certain amount time, that means we are losing out, so we'll just take it all!

Labour government running out of ideas for the good of the country, yes. Running out of ideas to line the pockets and waste money? Probably not.

Quick Reply