Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Can-Can to a Ton

Read 1408 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Can-Can to a Ton
      Nov 06, 2016 10:47:03 pm
      Emre Can will become the latest player to hit the one hundred game mark for the club, making him the 203rd player in our history to do so and the third this season alone with Sturridge and Lallana passing the landmark in recent weeks.

It's been a bit of a bumpy ride for Emre during his time here. He's never really nailed down one position as his own. From an out and out central midfielder to a holding midfielder to left back to one of the back three to the current role he's got now, which looks to be back to a proper central midfielder.

His form has suffered immensely because of his lack of one designated role in the team. In his first pre-season, he was the stand out player as far as I was concerned. He looked to be a F***ing monster and somebody who could potentially, replace Steven Gerrard in our midfield. As time wore on, that looked to be as far from the truth as imaginable. And for me, he got worse and worse the longer he was here.

This year, however, something has clicked. He didn't start the season due to injury and Wijnaldum really took his opportunity with both hands. And had the Dutchman not got injured himself, I think we'd still be seeing Can on the bench. But, like Wijnaldum, Can has taken his opportunity and forced his way into the starting XI. Although his performances haven't been great over the past couple of games, he has grown into both games and found himself on the scoresheet in both as well, which is something of a novelty because he'd only scored once in the previous twelve months.

I'm still convinced there's a player in there somewhere and the current system and/or manager is finding a way of getting it out of the Can. I would like to see him be more precise with his passing though, too many easy passes he gives away. And part of a central midfielder's job is to track back, not to stand there then after your opponent has got ten yards on you make your effort to try and con the fans you are chasing back.

Nevertheless, hundred games for Liverpool Football Club is a fantastic achievement for any player who does it (and it will be when Alberto Moreno does it, who is currently on 98 Liverpool games). So a big well done to Emre Can, go and top it off with a third in three against Southampton.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,133 posts | 127 
      Re: Can-Can to a Ton
      Reply #1: Nov 06, 2016 10:51:04 pm
      Emre Can will become the latest player to hit the one hundred game mark for the club, making him the 203rd player in our history to do so and the third this season alone with Sturridge and Lallana passing the landmark in recent weeks.

It's been a bit of a bumpy ride for Emre during his time here. He's never really nailed down one position as his own. From an out and out central midfielder to a holding midfielder to left back to one of the back three to the current role he's got now, which looks to be back to a proper central midfielder.

His form has suffered immensely because of his lack of one designated role in the team. In his first pre-season, he was the stand out player as far as I was concerned. He looked to be a f**king monster and somebody who could potentially, replace Steven Gerrard in our midfield. As time wore on, that looked to be as far from the truth as imaginable. And for me, he got worse and worse the longer he was here.

This year, however, something has clicked. He didn't start the season due to injury and Wijnaldum really took his opportunity with both hands. And had the Dutchman not got injured himself, I think we'd still be seeing Can on the bench. But, like Wijnaldum, Can has taken his opportunity and forced his way into the starting XI. Although his performances haven't been great over the past couple of games, he has grown into both games and found himself on the scoresheet in both as well, which is something of a novelty because he'd only scored once in the previous twelve months.

I'm still convinced there's a player in there somewhere and the current system and/or manager is finding a way of getting it out of the Can. I would like to see him be more precise with his passing though, too many easy passes he gives away. And part of a central midfielder's job is to track back, not to stand there then after your opponent has got ten yards on you make your effort to try and con the fans you are chasing back.

Nevertheless, hundred games for Liverpool Football Club is a fantastic achievement for any player who does it (and it will be when Alberto Moreno does it, who is currently on 98 Liverpool games). So a big well done to Emre Can, go and top it off with a third in three against Southampton.

Quick Reply