Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

What Changed in Liverpool's game yesterday?

Read 3791 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      What Changed in Liverpool's game yesterday?
      Nov 07, 2007 07:17:32 am
      After the  highs and excitements due to the  8-0 pummeling of the Turks, the time has come to soberly ask the key question? What changed in our game?

For me, The recovery of spilled balls were excellent, it was like there was an LFC player on standby everytime to retake possession. But this is just one part of the whole game. Was it the combination of players on the pitch? Was it the introduction of Crouch?

To the analytical posters on the forum, please share your thoughts!  :)
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2007 08:28:04 am by solodee »
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Re: What Changed in Liverpool's game yesterday?
      Reply #1: Nov 07, 2007 01:33:59 pm
      The dropping of Sissoko and Kuyt to be replaced by Mascherano and Crouch was the big difference,i thought Rafa got his team selection almost spot on apart from i would have had Risse at lb and Babel on the wing and when Torres is fit id drop Voronin for him.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #2: Nov 07, 2007 01:48:27 pm
      The only major difference as I see it was confidence.

Until that first goal went in we were playing well, but no better than in other games during our 'terrible' run. Once we got ourselves in front though, and even more so after the second goal, you could see that our heads had lifted. I don't think we tried anything different that we haven't been doing all season, but because of our confidence being higher what we tried actually worked.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Nov 07, 2007 01:55:55 pm

Until that first goal went in we were playing well, but no better than in other games during our 'terrible' run. Once we got ourselves in front though, and even more so after the second goal, you could see that our heads had lifted. I don't think we tried anything different that we haven't been doing all season, but because of our confidence being higher what we tried actually worked.

Totally agree mate.

I would add that I feel that Arbeloa was a massive plus.

Any tactical change? I think Rafa gave the entire team (except for Carra and Sami) licence to attack at any and every opportunity... which he doesn't always do in "big" games...

Still buzzing here!
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #4: Nov 07, 2007 01:57:51 pm

Confidence was a big part of Yesterday's game too. The palyers made goal scoring attempts with a little more boldness and confidence. The fear of making mistakes was put in check.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Nov 07, 2007 02:05:48 pm
      I was actually impressed by our overall performance.  I feel we played it snappy with a bit of pass and move.

We picked out the space, attacked down the wings, gave it the two touch style.  Fantastic from our lads last night.

Oh and yeah Eddie, confidence was one of the biggest factors last night.  Let's hope we can adapt this form into the Premiership starting this weekend.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Nov 07, 2007 02:08:58 pm
      The weight off the shoulders of the players (and supporters) when that first goal went in was incredible... even my neighbours felt the force!

Another plus was to see Babel actually enjoying his football - usually looks like he is totally bricking it on the ball...

Massive turning point in our season.

Foolham can't come quick enough!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Nov 07, 2007 02:22:53 pm

Couldn't agree more with that. Confidence was the difference in our game yesterday.
      I do think Crouch made a difference as well though. He was dragging two or three defenders out of position in the first half which made a good bit of space for us. And then you do have to mention that Beskitas are not a very good team.
      Once we got a couple of goals in the net we were growing in confidence. And once that happens, passing gets so much easier and things go for you.

Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #8: Nov 07, 2007 02:35:30 pm
      The dropping of Sissoko and Kuyt to be replaced by Mascherano and Crouch was the big difference,I thought Rafa got his team selection almost spot on apart from I would have had Risse at lb and Babel on the wing and when Torres is fit id drop Voronin for him.

The dropping of Sissoko and Kuyt I agree with, but I think that Aurelio deserved a chance at left full back when considering the form of Riise in that position.  I have said a few times that out of Voronin, Kuyt, and Crouch I'd select Crouch to play alongside Torres.  I believe that Crouch poses more of a goal threat than Kuyt or Voronin, although both of them do work hard for the team, and Voronin does look to be more of a goal threat at the moment than Kuyt. However, I have stated on another thread that Liverpool should sell Peter Crouch at a profit in the January transfer window, but that is only if he can be replaced with a better player who in my opinion would be Nicolas Anelka.  If there isn't a better option than Crouch shouldn't be sold.  Someone did mention that they would sell Kuyt or Voronin before Crouch, and I agree... But the fact of the matter is that out of those three Benitez is only likely to let Crouch go in the January transfer window... I think he'll stick with Kuyt despite his current poor form, and it would be harsh to let Voronin go for obvious reasons.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #9: Nov 07, 2007 03:35:56 pm
      Before we all get carried away,we have to remember the turks are a very poor team and we have to ask ourselves how we lost to this crap in the first place.Crouch definitely made a difference,Rafa has got to give him a run in the side now and see if he can develop a partnership with Torres?veronin played great last night,but the Premier league is different.Lets keep our feet on the ground and hope this is the beginning of something good.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #10: Nov 07, 2007 04:22:12 pm
      Agreed a poor team but one that managed to be in the CL.

So they must do something right and I think we saw that at their ground. I also agree not getting carried away makes perfect sense. Liverpool's strength has always been their passing ability when used to good effect. If the ball is played out of defense correctly then Liverpool play well. If it's hoofed upfield from defense all the time Liverpool play like donkeys...
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #11: Nov 07, 2007 04:28:27 pm

Yep. Confidence. When Crouch practically worked that first goal in, that made the difference. And had the volume set for the rest of the game. The players wanted. For 90 mins. But if Crouch hadnt managed to fight that first on in the net, it could most likely been one of those days again...when it just wont go our way. Lots of chances, good play, but the score when its over still say draw or worse.. Im not saying the players dont want it enough in the prem. But when its almost over and over, you get stuck in this swamp that is so hard to get out of. This "we try our best, but it seems that its not enough (so why bother)" swamp. Lets hope yesterdays game gave a bit of boost (I certainty hope so!! If not - what will?!? hehe) that could affect the play in the league as well as Ch. League.
      Happy for Crouch that he got all of the 90 mins, that he scored two, and was an active part in the result. He deserved this so much, maybe most of them all. Its been so much mumbling going on, but as someone wrote, hes been all eager and 100% committed every time hes been let out there, even tho if its just been for half a match or the last mins. Really happy for him. :) (Yes, Im in love ok.)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #12: Nov 07, 2007 05:56:42 pm
      Mobility was the answer!

When you have Riise and Finnan in the full back posistions, what you get are two players waiting for the ball who love to play it long.

When you have Aurelio and Arbeloa in the full back posistions, what you get is mobility up and down the flanks, more calm play, more technique and more passing rather than hoofing.

Also Mascherano is far more mobile around the pitch than Alonso is, Voronin is much quicker and has a better first touch than Kuyt.

I feel all in all this was why we did better... First touch was brilliant, more calmness around the team, more mobility in the players, confidence & no long balls.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #13: Nov 07, 2007 06:40:12 pm
      Agree with Ra Ra to an extent.  Arbeloa was very very positive.  This allowed Benayoun to stay very high up the pitch.  Normally Pennant picks the ball from Finnan around the half way line.

I think a combination of factors such as the media, home support, confidence, determination and also the basic fact that the reds ARE a much better side than Besiktas and that the other week's defeat was majorly down to some poor luck.

Revenge is as strong a motivation in sport as it is in life.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #14: Nov 07, 2007 07:01:54 pm
      For me what changed last night was a couple of simple things

1) we passed the ball brilliantly

2) we kept the ball until there was an opening no hoofing ridiculous balls

3) Peter Crouch. The moment hes seen by the oppo in the team sheet its advantage Liverpool. Defenders get so tight to him it leaves room for others

4) when we didn't have the ball we wanted it back and it wasn't just Masch getting it it was everyone

5) RAFA... He took the leash off the lads and let them loose.  even at 5 nil he threw on attacking players Babel Kewell and Lucas

6) The crowd. From t.v you could clearly hear P.ST and the chants of ATTACK and we want 7 we want 8 we want 9 brilliant

Now all we need to do and I mean players manager and fans is keep it going every game!
      EddieWiz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #15: Nov 07, 2007 07:23:22 pm
      Its not brain Science we scored 8 goals and missed a lot of chances, 21 shots on goal , I wasnt shure I lost count myself.

Peter Crouch was magnificent and why Raffa leaves him out is beyond me, in the previous league games, when Crouchie has come on late we have created in those last minutes when Crouch has come on more chances than in the entire previous 70 or so minutes.

Crouch has to start,

Only player who never impressed me with quality of touch or pace was Veronin, but Raffa doesnt like to be proved wrong with his buys, but I think and hesitate to say that Veronin is not of Premier league quality.

Anybody else agree.

Maybe the Russian coach was right about comments made about Veronin.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2007 07:42:23 pm by EddieWiz »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #16: Nov 07, 2007 07:54:30 pm
      I think we have had a lot of games this season in which we have created a lot of chances its just yesterday we put them in the back of the net!   I thought we had about a dozen clear chances and scored 8, its when you create 10 chances and score one goal that is frustrating.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #17: Nov 07, 2007 08:19:27 pm
      From what everyone has said, some key thoughts continue to recur and I think they are noteworthy

(1) The introduction of Crouch very valuable; not just for his good first touches and passes but also of the added advantage attracting 2 - 3 defenders at a time thereby creating space for other strikers

(2) The Left and Right backs in Arbeloa and Aurelio added value to the team

(3) The confidence level was high, passing very good, tons of goal attempts

(4) We can never overstate the crowd participation! The fans held it down.

(5) The hot names: Benayun, Babel and Harry Kewell

(6) Rafa Benitez got it Right

What will be lovely is what I have already said on the Fulham/Liverpool pre-match tread: Let's give this winning squad another crack at it. ''If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007 07:09:53 am by solodee »
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #18: Nov 07, 2007 08:57:22 pm
      I think benayoun's willingness to get into the box was a major factor in the game. im a fan of pennant but imagine he was fit and had played, for all three of benayoun's goals he would have been stood on the touchline in case the cross/shot from the opposite side was over hit.

benayoun showed the willingness to gamble that we've lacked from our wingers and got his reward
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #19: Nov 07, 2007 09:01:34 pm
      Both different players, i think, there is a need for both type of players in the squad. Especially if Kewell is going to play the option of Pennants crosses can add goals to our game. 
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #20: Nov 07, 2007 11:58:15 pm
      After the  highs and excitements due to the  8-0 pummeling of the Turks, the time has come to soberly ask the key question? What changed in our game?

For me, The recovery of spilled balls were excellent, it was like there was an LFC player on standby everytime to retake possession. But this is just one part of the whole game. Was it the combination of players on the pitch? Was it the introduction of Crouch?

Full credit to the team display, however let's not get carried away as we were playing an off-form Besiktas team. However, i've seen lots of positives from the game which i've been mourning all along and would just like to list them as such  :-

To the analytical posters on the forum, please share your thoughts!  :)

1. We played with full passion, as if their lives depended on it.
      2. Full urgency in our play, very much less dilly-dally at the back and pushes up fast. Not many back passes.
      3. Passes were fluid and much more accurate and less stray passes.
      4. Quick on the attack, good for a change (Resembles the great yesteryears sides of Liverpool)
      5. Very creative in the box, always trying to penetrate the opposition defence and i could see the forwards/midfielders communicated well with each other.
      6. Very competitive in our play, chased for loose balls and won most of them. (By doing so, Crouch created a scoring opporitunity out of nothing as he harassed the oppositon defender into poking the ball back to its own goalmouth and Crouch scored as a result of that while Babbel even scored with his buttock)
      7. We parked enough players in the opposition penalty box and we were everywhere and created 19 shots on target.
      8. Positiong of our players at the penalty box were good, they were spread all over the penalty box which resulted in many scoring opportunities.
      9. For a change, we have players in the middle of the penalty box to create the goalmouth melee and scored a few.
      10. Created enough scoring channces, 19 shots on target and scored 8. An average of 1 goal in every 2.375 shots on target.
      11. Forwards supported each other well, they don't play like strangers for a change and communicated well.
      12. We strated the game on a high tempo on the attack and did not only start playing attacking football when a goal down or in the last 10 minutes.
      13. We did not show too much respect for the opposition and we played like men possessed and thia has resulted in many of the goals.

I've been slating the team on the abovesaid weaknesses but I've seen a very very different Liverpool last night and full credit to them, however, we do not want this to be a one game wonder and got carried away  where our play falls apart again in the next game.

liverpool eng
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #21: Nov 08, 2007 12:16:37 am
      confedunce

and focusing on the game ..!

liverpol can do any thig if the team focus on the game
      EddieWiz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 08, 2007 02:40:31 am
      Are we not just a lot better when we play on the offensive, as our North American friends like to call it ? :D

We don't have a Hansen or Phil Neal these days and we look vunerable when we try and sit back on a one nil lead. As we shout in the Kop " Atack, Atack , Atack "

Liverppol are not a Chelsea if we play without passion we loose what makes us Liverpool, we need , head and heart at 50% each , you dont win anything without passion!
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007 02:42:33 am by EddieWiz »

Quick Reply