Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Loris Karius
      3 (3.1%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (2.1%)
      Joel Matip
      48 (50%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.1%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (6.3%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (5.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      5 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      7 (7.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      9 (9.4%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (2.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: Nov 23, 2016 04:52:49 pm

Southampton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28192 times
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Re: Southampton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Nov 19, 2016 05:16:28 pm
      Fine margins and all that. 3 big chances ..one to mane that was stopped..one to firminho who couldn't find the net..and one to clyne who headed wide.
      Southampton defended brilliantly. A special mention to van djik. Postive from that is he might be a red next year :P
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #323: Nov 19, 2016 05:17:31 pm
      Probably too big a risk but a fresh partnership of Origi and Sturridge could have posed more problems than playing a woefully undercooked/jet lagged Coutinho and Firmino, the latter who I thought played quite well. I think Studge and Divock worked well together against Spurs in the league cup for us to try it but in fairness to Jürgen, both Coutinho and Firmino had the chances to wrap up the win that justified their selection today.

Yep true mate but it's also fair to say that had Jürgen done that and we'd come away with the same result we'd all be calling him nuts.

I do get your point though and it's something I think Jürgen will have a good mull over after this one.

Get the cheque book out in Jan, buy Griezmann and worry about the selection issues afterwards! (I know he's signed a new deal and there's no chance but still it's a nice dream.)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #324: Nov 19, 2016 05:19:36 pm
      Voted Matip for my MOTM.

Also I know people love complaining about Hendo and at times he can be frustrating when you hope he could be a bit more adventurous, but in terms of pressing and anticipation, I think he played a key role in making sure we recovered the ball quickly

I agree with everything you said about Hendo. He is still a box-box midfielder playing in the #6 role for me, and his main traits are pressing and anticipating, but passing is not his forte, something I too hope he can improve on and become more adventurous.

Anyway, it just says it all about our attacking players and midfielders when Matip was our MOTM.
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #325: Nov 19, 2016 05:19:58 pm
      Draw and a clean sheet after the international break in a match that is typically a slip-up for us.  Plus it seems we came out of it as healthy as we went in...I'll take it.  Disappointed it wasn't all 3 but we lacked the cutting edge today. In the long run, if our slip-ups are draws and not losses then we'll be just fine in the end.  Onwards and upwards against Sunderlund.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #326: Nov 19, 2016 05:20:26 pm
      Overall though... as it stands at the moment we are in a good position.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #327: Nov 19, 2016 05:21:41 pm
      Why do our players going for international games need to over exert themselves and get injured, I just don't understand. Moreso, it's a useless friendly game.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #328: Nov 19, 2016 05:22:05 pm
      I voted Mane MotM just so I could see who everyone else was voting for.

You not able to see who people voted for by voting for somebody who you actually thought was MOTM? :D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #329: Nov 19, 2016 05:24:22 pm
      You not able to see who people voted for by voting for somebody who you actually thought was MOTM? :D

I was actually that stuck on who to choose.
      rossyred

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #330: Nov 19, 2016 05:26:46 pm
      Think due to the fact we were only team who wanted to win felt like points dropped. But not an easy place to go got to take the positives. Other teams going to do exactly same and we need to tinker with selection to counteract it. Substitutions should have been made earlier IMO
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #331: Nov 19, 2016 05:26:53 pm
      I was actually that stuck on who to choose.

Was just pulling your chain :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #332: Nov 19, 2016 05:27:49 pm

I'm hungover. Be gentle.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #333: Nov 19, 2016 05:30:37 pm
      I thought we played like we always do after international breaks, sloppy and lacking sharpness. Having said that we did more than enough to win it but a draw away to Southampton is hardly a disaster. As for the next transfer deals from Southampton Foster and Van Dijk please.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #334: Nov 19, 2016 05:30:52 pm
      Get over it. They play good stuff most weeks but teams aren't going to let us have room in behind them anymore. We have to be good enough to beat it.

It bodes well that good sides feel their best option is to play for a point against us.  9 times out of 10 we find a breakthrough.  We didn't manage one today, but it was still a good performance and further evidence that we've got it all to play for this season!!
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #335: Nov 19, 2016 05:38:36 pm
      This tean with suarez and the league title would be won. As it is, going to be some excruciating games like that 1 because Southampton won't be the last team to park the bus against us.

Got to bury your chances when they come. We got in the end what our finishing deserved.

Excruciating is the perfect word for it.

They were up for a scrap and to park their bus, embarrassingly.
      Even when we were piling on the pressure, it all looked laboured and lacked real urgency and intensity.

A lethargic performance that harmed our chance to win.
      How many times did we see methodical 5-10 metre passes sideways and back even when the nearest opponent was 20 metres away?! It just looked so telegraphed, obvious and easy to negate. We played into their hands.

Oh well. Onward and upward. The next match can't come quickly enough.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #336: Nov 19, 2016 05:40:33 pm
      There's going to be days like this...intl break, away from home in the rain....did more than enough to nab 3 points but it just did not fall to us. We were dominate throughout the match even though at time we looked a bit listless and heavy footed.

Only thought was we waited a tad long to pull Can...think Daniel looked up for it and Emre was off all match.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #337: Nov 19, 2016 05:41:51 pm
      Get over it. They play good stuff most weeks but teams aren't going to let us have room in behind them anymore. We have to be good enough to beat it.

Charmer aren't you, bet you're a hoot at parties.

All I know is if I'd paid money to see that from a team I supported I wouldn't have been happy.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #338: Nov 19, 2016 05:44:33 pm
      I think when its all said and done over the next 4 matches and this one we will take 13/15 points and we will push on.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 61 
      Reply #339: Nov 19, 2016 05:44:53 pm
      One of those games,i thought we played really well especially 2nd half,had plenty of chances to win it,you can't win them all,so even though Southampton parked the bus and are a good side,it could still have finished 3 or 4 nil,as i said just one of those days.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #340: Nov 19, 2016 05:48:09 pm
      This tean with suarez and the league title would be won. As it is, going to be some excruciating games like that 1 because Southampton won't be the last team to park the bus against us.

Got to bury your chances when they come. We got in the end what our finishing deserved.

We don't have Suarez. He's long gone. We score plenty of goals without him nowadays anyway. Such a pointless comment.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #341: Nov 19, 2016 05:48:44 pm
      It's not two 'massive points dropped'. They're just points dropped. We won't win every game this season you know. At the very least when you're not quite firing on all cylinders it's important to grab something away from the match. Can't stand this 'woe betide' attitude after a fairly innocuous draw away to Southampton.

Of course we will drop points but I'd rather drop them in games where we don't perform and have a serious off day. Not a game where I know we should have won and missed a sitter. Every game counts and at the end of the season we are going to have two points less because Firmino couldn't finish a chance my mother would put away!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #342: Nov 19, 2016 05:49:42 pm

we are going to have two points less because Firmino couldn't finish a chance my mother would put away!

:roll:

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #343: Nov 19, 2016 05:51:15 pm

Without sounding like all of the blame lies at the feet of Firmino but he has a point. We didn't win because we failed to take our chances.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #344: Nov 19, 2016 05:53:37 pm
      Without sounding like all of the blame lies at the feet of Firmino but he has a point. We didn't win because we failed to take our chances.

I would say we failed to finish off our chances as we had made plenty of them...my  :roll: was not knowing his mother played professional footie.

Quick Reply