Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Lovren on the right?

Read 1993 times
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Lovren on the right?
      Dec 20, 2016 09:20:05 am
      I gave my MOTM to Lovren just because since Klaven has come in (who's been excellent by the way) Lovren is playing so much better as a right sided CB. This isn't coincidence because he played so much better last season when Sakho was on the left. Can Matip play on the left? Or would this effect his game too much because Lovren is playing alot better at the mo. Then again the form Klaven is in will Joel get back in. Excellent game last night so much better 2nd half but 1-0 will do.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,673 posts | 6966 
      Re: Lovren on the right?
      Reply #1: Dec 20, 2016 09:48:27 am
      Interesting point.

I assume that when CB's play on their 'wrong' side they tend to stick closer together.

That might not be a good thing against teams who use the wings a lot?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Dec 20, 2016 08:55:24 pm
      Lovren has done well on the left too with Matip beside him.

Then again the form Klaven is in will Joel get back in.

Yes, Matip is our 1st choice CB and rightly so because he's been boss.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #3: Dec 20, 2016 11:25:17 pm
      Interesting point.

I assume that when CB's play on their 'wrong' side they tend to stick closer together.

That might not be a good thing against teams who use the wings a lot?

Interesting point indeed. He was at his best last season when playing on the right and wasn't as good when played on the left again. Isn't he right footed too? Odd that a player feels more comfortable on the left then.

I'm a CB myself, right footed and I really don't like playing on the left. Though I guess it depends on how you play as a team and how 'good' your weaker foot is. When you're a dominant team, you tend to get more time on the ball and you can get it on to your strong foot. In a high tempo game, you don't have that time and cutting inside to get in on to your strong foot is too dangerous and it limits your passing options, which is the main reason I don't like playing there. I don't think it has much to do with sticking closer together. That just comes down to positioning and communication with your LB and other CB.

Still think our best pairing is Lovren - Matip at the moment, but Klavan is a very good option to have on the bench if he continues to impress and in time, might even take Lovren's place. He was really good against Everton, my MOTM.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Dec 20, 2016 11:39:45 pm
      I still don't like how Lovren gets dragged away from the centre so easily. Chases his man and I don't think the lads around him are always aware to fill the gap he leaves.

I'd really like to see Matip and Klavan play together. See how they go. Both a bit more pacey and while I think Dejan has the best ability on the ball, the other two probably compliment the backline a bit more with their pace and defending.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #5: Dec 21, 2016 10:02:06 am
      Klavan is a much better passer of the ball than Lovren as well. Maybe not success wise but the way he pushes forward into midfield reminds me of Agger.

He was more attacking in his passing against the bitters on Monday than Henderson was.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #6: Dec 21, 2016 10:11:46 am
      I still don't like how Lovren gets dragged away from the centre so easily. Chases his man and I don't think the lads around him are always aware to fill the gap he leaves.

I'd really like to see Matip and Klavan play together. See how they go. Both a bit more pacey and while I think Dejan has the best ability on the ball, the other two probably compliment the backline a bit more with their pace and defending.

What, than Matip?

:lmao:
      Kopite78
      Reply #7: Dec 21, 2016 10:15:35 am
      Struggling everytime I read the thread title not to sing in my own head

(Moreno back at left back )

Clown to the left
      Lovren on the right
      Here I am struggling to keep clean sheets
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Dec 21, 2016 11:21:41 am

Not allowed to say it?

I think he's very tidy at the back - like having two Hendo's back there. Just needs to cut out those long balls as if he's Pirlo (Andrea, not Joe).

Matip and Klavan look to have him covered bringing the ball out and stepping in to midfield, though.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #9: Dec 21, 2016 11:30:25 am
      I remember reading something once that he said he said he thinks he's worse when he's at right sided CB because of something that happened when in youth football....

That being said he should watch his performances on the right and realise he's much better on the right! Don't think he's good enough to dislodge Matip though!
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #10: Dec 22, 2016 09:49:01 am
      I think Dejan's had good games on either side this season, but thinking back - including to when he was really struggling last season - he seems to play a lot better on the left CB side when Jimmy Milner's at left back.  With Bertie there he had two positions to cover, defensively, and struggled with his positioning and decision-making.  That's my take on it.  I'm made up to see him doing so well after that shocking start when he first arrived. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #11: Dec 22, 2016 10:26:20 am
      He is playing well in both sides. With Milner in the starting XI, Lovren has improved. Matip is our best CB so he plays in his preferred side when fit.

Quick Reply