Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Loris Karius
      39 (48.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      24 (30%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.3%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (6.3%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      5 (6.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (2.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Jan 29, 2017 09:58:07 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 36374 times
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,556 posts | 246 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Jan 25, 2017 10:37:25 pm
      Would you rather he looked like he wasn't bothered?

I'd rather he was laughing and a Wembley trip was on but not to be
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #668: Jan 25, 2017 10:38:25 pm
      I'd rather he was laughing and a Wembley trip was on but not to be

Wouldn't we all. Lets just hope that we make that happen with the FA Cup.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #669: Jan 25, 2017 10:39:03 pm
      To be honest mate, I'm fed up hearing it. Just how I feel right now.

Fair enough mate but I thought he was spot on. As much as everyone is down right now and understandably (personally F***ing gutted) I think with the chances we created that we should have definitely scored 1 or 2 and that would have changed the game.

Sounds like a very positive spin for the audience.

Nah mate, simply honest, exactly how he is. Even Le Tissier admitted had it been given as a pen the defender could have no complaints. My only issue with Jürgen tonight is that he should have changed Firmino to the middle and Can off earlier. However I also consider how sh*te Studge looked for England out wide when I said he should never start there, also think what it would look like with Sturridge coming off while we're not back in the tie. So...

As for Can, thought he got better in the second half after a shocker of a first half but still should have been brought off earlier, a little blind spot for Jürgen that one perhaps.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #670: Jan 25, 2017 10:39:35 pm
      Unfortunately without picking individuals I can only come to the conclusion the percentage of our team haven't got the mentality to cross the finishing line as a winner. We saw that last season when we folded in the final like pathetic liteweights.
      This is the reality so I'm prepared for it always, but still hope for the best of course.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #671: Jan 25, 2017 10:40:09 pm
      Seen them given plenty of times.

Not really excuses though is it, we created chances and didn't take them, they defended well, we should have had a penalty. More stating the obvious than making excuses.

Seen them given sure but we and Klopp would have been seething if that was given against us it would be massively harsh.

I don't think any of our chances were that clear cut bar the one Stu lashed over the bar.

In fact Saints had clearer chances than we did managing to score one of them.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #672: Jan 25, 2017 10:43:04 pm
      Seen them given sure but we and Klopp would have been seething if that was given against us it would be massively harsh.

I don't think any of our chances were that clear cut bar the one Stu lashed over the bar.

In fact Saints had clearer chances than we did managing to score one of them.

Probably would have been pissed if it was given against us but then if you let the ball hit you on the arm like that you also have to know that you are running the risk of giving one away. Doesn't stop the other one from not being given though, when instead a corner was awarded.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Southampton
      Reply #673: Jan 25, 2017 10:43:26 pm
      Unravelling. Anyway.

Good, Karius looked solid, as did TAA and Coutinho.

Bad, Klopp, Lallana, Henderson, Matip (though very probably a bit rusty). Firmino, and Studge.

Average, Milner, Lovren, Can

start rant/

Southampton's goal epitomised everything about how we play and how teams set up against us. Give us the ball, let us move it sideways and backward, get your chance. Score. Rinse. Repeat.

Ok, so nobody wants to sell us their best players in January. Fine. Then change stuff. Stop playing Can, stop playing Firmino out wide, stop playing Can and Henderson together, stop bringing players (Wijnaldum) on with 4 minutes left to play. Change formation. Do something. We are way too predictable and Klopp needs to have a rethink before we are left hoping we get Europa league football next season.

We get carved open on the counter so easily it's embarrassing. And scary. Guaranteed that's how all teams will now play against us and I'm starting to think not much will change when Mane comes back. Teams know how to blunt our approach play. In fact, I seriously hope that Mane isn't the be all and end all of Liverpool FC. For me that doesn't tell me just how good Mane is, it tells me how thin on talent the squad is.

We aren't good enough because we aren't consistent enough. I really couldn't care less how we played a couple of months ago. 90 minutes is a long time in football. What good is it when you fall to pieces like this? Yes we've had injuries, but we've been really poor with an almost full strength 11 for a few games now. Know how many points we've picked up since Klopp said something along the lines of it must be irritating when you've won 12 games in a row to see a team only 6 points behind you? None. Ironic.

We have not yet recruited when almost all of us are begging for at least one player who can give us a lift. I cannot believe we can't find a single player out there. I know there are 6 days left, but I'm not holding my breath. I know Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Man City haven't recruited either, but aside from Man City, none of those teams look shot to pieces and going into regression. Klopp also said he's not looking for a LB in the summer either. Worrying. And one more thing, I have noticed Klopp is starting to blame fixtures, referees, and the wind. Stop it, please. We lost because we were second best and have been over 180 minutes. We lost 2-0 and we were lucky to get 0.

/rant end
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #674: Jan 25, 2017 10:44:28 pm
      You from Southampton mate?

And to be fair, I went on a Monday night.

Didn't say that originally like, as that wouldn't have fitted with what I was trying to do ;)

Haha yes mate I am, don't sweat it, plenty of sh*te nights to be had in Soton and not just on a Monday!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #675: Jan 25, 2017 10:46:12 pm
      Nah mate, simply honest, exactly how he is. Even Le Tissier admitted had it been given as a pen the defender could have no complaints. My only issue with Jürgen tonight is that he should have changed Firmino to the middle and Can off earlier. However I also consider how sh*te Studge looked for England out wide when I said he should never start there, also think what it would look like with Sturridge coming off while we're not back in the tie. So...

As for Can, thought he got better in the second half after a shocker of a first half but still should have been brought off earlier, a little blind spot for Jürgen that one perhaps.

We lost 2-0 on aggreggate over two legs, could've been more. We can complain about ref decisions or whatever else, but they deserved to go through, and were relatively comfortable with it. Tbh felt if they had gone at us, they could've got more too. Would expect Jürgen to be upbeat though, we have big games coming up.
      Regarding Can, he's a whipping boy right now, but don't think he was taken off cause was poorer than anyone else particularly, was more tactical. Where's me tin hat as someone else mentioned  :f_run:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #676: Jan 25, 2017 10:56:09 pm
      Looks like we are going to have to make Mane our highest wage earner at the Club now because we look like sh*t without him. F***ing shattered again!
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #677: Jan 25, 2017 10:58:14 pm
      Looks like we are going to have to make Mane our highest wage earner at the Club now because we look like sh*t without him. F***ing shattered again!

Nah we'll save that for next January when people start questioning why we don't buy anyone.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #678: Jan 25, 2017 10:59:59 pm
      Absolutely gutted obviously BUT I really think the players are trying hard. I was really impressed with Emre cans work rate, I guess every season there is a scapegoat. I just think that over reliance on one or two players is taking its toll. It just baffles me that when the players are down we are keen to kick them. Shouldnt we try harder to support them when they struggle for form? Its not like we are lacking effort. We had all the ball and bar a little cutting edge or an actual ref we may have won that. My concern is that  year after year do our managers say the money is there if they need it, when it's blatantly obvious we don't have the strength to sustain a title run through a full season.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #679: Jan 25, 2017 11:08:33 pm
      Oh dear well that didn't go to plan.

Just finished my meeting and didn't expect to turn on my phone to a loss at home to Saints!

I said at the beginning of Klopp tenure that this squad needs ripping apart, and hoped I was wrong but turns out gut instinct is quite often right.

Looks like Top 4 will be a struggle now, which in some ways is a blessing because Jürgen will know we need a complete rebuild.

Unfortunately this squad have shown they are not up for a fight when the going gets tough.

Bottlers under Rodgers and nothing has changed.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #680: Jan 25, 2017 11:10:34 pm

At least we can be civil about it aha.

PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #681: Jan 25, 2017 11:10:41 pm
      Emre Can is woefully average, hasn't done anything in his entire stay of note, full of promise but always falls short, too many overcut or undercut passes, many forward runs but never a final ball, rumours hes holding out for a better contract from us, but £20 million in the summer and I'd be more than happy to ship him out
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,317 posts | 1672 
      Reply #682: Jan 25, 2017 11:10:55 pm
       Handball was a Pen he blatantly moved his arm to the ball and it hit him on the ball . Second one ref got right
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #683: Jan 25, 2017 11:14:01 pm
      Handball was a Pen he blatantly moved his arm to the ball and it hit him on the ball . Second one ref got right

Agreed, on first look I thought Origi's was a pen but on second it clearly wasn't.

First one was without question a pen, sure a soft one but a pen all the same. You can't move your arm to the ball and then claim it isn't deliberate from that distance.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #684: Jan 25, 2017 11:14:40 pm
      On another note, even Real Madrid got knocked out of Copa del Rey by Celta Vigo earlier.
      So I guess my point is...
      Let's bring back Iago Aspas!
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #685: Jan 25, 2017 11:17:43 pm
      Emre Can is woefully average, hasn't done anything in his entire stay of note, full of promise but always falls short, too many overcut or undercut passes, many forward runs but never a final ball, rumours hes holding out for a better contract from us, but £20 million in the summer and I'd be more than happy to ship him out

Hahaha..at this rate I hope he fcks off for free...maybe it will push Klopp to buy a real midfielder and not the same 'he will come good in the future..the potential is there'.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #686: Jan 25, 2017 11:17:43 pm
      3 losses, 3 draws and only 1 win in January. And the one win against a team three divisions below. This is incredibly frustrating. :( I was so much looking forward to going to Wembley once more!
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #687: Jan 25, 2017 11:26:48 pm
      3 losses, 3 draws and only 1 win in January. And the one win against a team three divisions below. This is incredibly frustrating. :( I was so much looking forward to going to Wembley once more!

And with the Wolves game and Chelsea game on the first day of February that would be 9 games in a little more than 1 month. Lads can't catch a break...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #688: Jan 25, 2017 11:28:53 pm
      Like this lad on Twitter but no idea who the player is he talking about:

His tweets are protected, can't see whatever he posted
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017 01:36:24 am by JD »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #689: Jan 25, 2017 11:31:42 pm
      And with the Wolves game and Chelsea game on the first day of February that would be 9 games in a little more than 1 month. Lads can't catch a break...

I remember at the start of the month, a lot of people saying that "we'll know better where we're at by the end of January". Well, it's been quite a reality check :( To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. And still feeling cold, though I'm already in my home. Jesus, how windy is this city!

Anyway, fair play to Southampton. Stopped us from scoring three times this season. Good luck to them in the final.

Quick Reply