Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)

Read 21005 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)
      Reply #115: Feb 14, 2017 07:58:04 pm
      I'd give him praise if I knew that it was him who put them together and not somebody else.

Who else would it have been? Plucked Sterling from the youth teams, bought in Sturridge and transformed Suarez from a raw talent to world class striker. I honestly don't know what else you'd need.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)
      Reply #116: Feb 15, 2017 07:19:16 am
      With the team showing signs of life again after the Christmas blip hopefully he gets another chance to show his quality.
      Against the sh*t teams I still think we need a proper No 9 and Bobby for all his qualities is not a natural striker.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #117: Feb 15, 2017 09:52:27 am
      I'd say get rid due to the evidence that he isn't going to be what he used to be.

We need him to be his old self to fit in this team which is all about explosive counter attacking but he is getting slower and slower.

I think develop Origi and get another raw talent like Inaki Williams to push each other as they both have the qualities required.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,566 posts | 1800 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #118: Feb 15, 2017 01:14:46 pm
      I think this is 50/50 tbh. We will want a decent fee, and he is still our most skilled finisher. Remember This is his first full season with no serious injuries since the 2014 season, so he might take a view that he needed a season to be totally over his injury woes.
      Or he might just say, fek it, I want to be playing week in week out somewhere else.

If I was him, Id consider playing in Spain, more technical football might suit his game better.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #119: Feb 15, 2017 01:31:14 pm
      Quality finisher, no doubt about that, but I still say Suarez made him look better than he actually is in terms of closing down, harrying, chasing and creating space.
      While the defenders were terrified of losing track of Suarez, they often lost track of Sturridge, giving him the time and space he needed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #120: Feb 15, 2017 02:31:06 pm
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #121: Feb 15, 2017 03:22:07 pm
      My lad loves him (the whole dancing stuff)

I love him as a finisher, he's the best we have and I'd argue that until red in the face.

His fitness levels are awful though making him a burden.  Which is such a shame.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #122: Feb 15, 2017 04:23:16 pm
      Still feel he is a player that can turn a game around for us if a chance was given, I get he is not the type of player Klopp requires but we also need a player that can get you that goal or make the keeper work & into making a mistake.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #123: Feb 15, 2017 04:32:00 pm
      Still feel he is a player that can turn a game around for us if a chance was given, I get he is not the type of player Klopp requires but we also need a player that can get you that goal or make the keeper work & into making a mistake.

I completely agree about him being our best finisher etc. but perhaps Klopp feels like £120k+ a week could be better spent on a player that fits his philosophy and isn't a liability injury wise?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #124: Feb 15, 2017 05:09:28 pm
      perhaps Klopp feels like £120k+ a week could be better spent on a player that fits his philosophy and isn't a liability injury wise?
      Again... that makes sense mate and yes, we do tend to 'cap' the number of high earners on our books but...

... doesn't that then make you wonder; at what point (in time) did Jürgen's 'road to Damascus' conversion take place?

Was it before or after the January window, for example?  :-\

And... IF Jürgen really has known all this for some time; why is he still paying the £120k+ for a player he doesn't want?

Nah... He just doesn't rate him (which is fair enough) and if he would have been able to coax (or pay) Draxler to sign; Danny would have been a goner in January... In my opinion obviously.

As it stands Danny is our "cover" til May.

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2017 05:23:10 pm by bad boy bubby »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #125: Feb 15, 2017 06:56:37 pm
      https://youtu.be/oZU9rlxYeKM just a reminder of What Sturridge did/can do if hes used right
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #126: Feb 16, 2017 12:27:47 am
      Never scores more than 15 in a season? He scored 21 league goals in our runners-up season...
      Mainly feed by Suarez and Sterling
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #127: Feb 16, 2017 12:38:33 am

What, so that doesn't count?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,622 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #128: Feb 16, 2017 12:46:14 am

How did that Suarez and Carroll thing work out?
      RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #129: Feb 16, 2017 08:41:49 am

You mean his fellow forwards? Who would have thought it...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #130: Feb 16, 2017 08:59:59 am

I'm confused mate: Are you saying that the lads who "feed" him now aren't as good as those two? That we sold better than we bought?

Controversial. 😉

Joking aside buddy - that (teamwork) is integral to success. It's really not something to be frowned upon.

I mean: surely you'd be happy if our current front three were knocking them in as prolifically as those lads. 😎
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #131: Feb 16, 2017 12:47:33 pm
      So let me get this straight...if Studge plays well, it's because of his teammates...if he plays poorly, it's his fault.

Ok. That's convenient I suppose.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #132: Feb 16, 2017 02:36:35 pm
      https://youtu.be/oZU9rlxYeKM just a reminder of What Sturridge did/can do if hes used right

Some of those goals he looks to have a bit more determination about him, more eagerness. He looks more hungry.

Some say he has lost a yard a pace or query whether he is frightened of picking up a knock. In my opinion, I just don't think he wants to play for Klopp.

Klopp has more or less publically said that he's a bit of a baby with his injuries and that he needs to man up. It has also been questioned whether Sturridge is too lazy to play for Jürgen, something which I always found as a bit of a myth personally.

Jürgen has favoured Firmino in the 9 role who isn't a natural striker. Klopp has also often chosen Origi over Sturridge too who is young and unproven. Had Ings not been injured then I'd also guess he would be ahead of Danny in pecking order too.  For somebody with a record like Sturridge, it must be pretty embarrassing that.

Football is always about opinions of course, but I'm a believer of you find a system to fit your players, not you find players to fit your system. I rate Danny really highly, I believe he is a world class talent and I think Klopp has missed a trick of not trying to get the best out of him rather than freezing him out.

When he moves on and gets a run of games for somebody else then there is no doubt in my mind that he will score a hatful of goals.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #133: Feb 16, 2017 03:52:08 pm
      Some of those goals he looks to have a bit more determination about him, more eagerness. He looks more hungry.

Some say he has lost a yard a pace or query whether he is frightened of picking up a knock. In my opinion, I just don't think he wants to play for Klopp.

Klopp has more or less publically said that he's a bit of a baby with his injuries and that he needs to man up. It has also been questioned whether Sturridge is too lazy to play for Jürgen, something which I always found as a bit of a myth personally.

Jürgen has favoured Firmino in the 9 role who isn't a natural striker. Klopp has also often chosen Origi over Sturridge too who is young and unproven. Had Ings not been injured then I'd also guess he would be ahead of Danny in pecking order too.  For somebody with a record like Sturridge, it must be pretty embarrassing that.

Football is always about opinions of course, but I'm a believer of you find a system to fit your players, not you find players to fit your system. I rate Danny really highly, I believe he is a world class talent and I think Klopp has missed a trick of not trying to get the best out of him rather than freezing him out.

When he moves on and gets a run of games for somebody else then there is no doubt in my mind that he will score a hatful of goals.

Which brings us to the Summer transfer window. Shouldn't we be looking for someone who combines Firmino's movement with Sturridge's finishing ability? Most transfer speculation I see focuses on goalkeepers, defenders and midfield but for me, a prolific goal scorer who fits Klopp's system should be as high a priority.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,289 posts | 4938 
      Reply #134: Feb 16, 2017 04:18:27 pm
      Which brings us to the Summer transfer window. Shouldn't we be looking for someone who combines Firmino's movement with Sturridge's finishing ability? Most transfer speculation I see focuses on goalkeepers, defenders and midfield but for me, a prolific goal scorer who fits Klopp's system should be as high a priority.

Yep.

As much as I rate Bobby if we sell Danny and don't buy a prolific striker we're crazy.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #135: Feb 16, 2017 04:46:42 pm
      Yep.

As much as I rate Bobby if we sell Danny and don't buy a prolific striker we're crazy.

I imagine that prolific striker is going to have to have Bobby's characteristics along with Studge's eye for the goal.

Personally I think we will be looking at other Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Lallana, Henderson types...when everybody is fit and and in-form we are a goal machine the issue is when we are missing one or more of these players it all breaks down.

Having 4 equal quality or better players that the manager can draw from when others are hurt or need a break aned I don't see the January we just had happening again.

The notion that we can't get through teams parking the bus incidentally coincided during a 6-7 week period where Lallana's groin, Coutinho out, Henderson's heel, Mane's AFCON and Bobby being run into the ground(along with personal issues)

One of those players out..ala Mane forces Lallana to go up front which puts Can in his place and its a downward spiral from there..having equal or better quality available and I honestly believe we do not see the drop-off we did.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #136: Feb 16, 2017 04:50:45 pm
      We definitely need a great striker. I don't care what team you look at, watch the Champion's League games and you'll see what a good striker adds to a team. If  it's not going to be Danny, then it needs to be someone else. Bobby does ok, but that's not to say we can't improve on him.

DanMann

• 5,775 posts | 889 
      Reply #137: Feb 16, 2017 04:54:56 pm

Exactly that mate. I've said it plenty of times recently, Liverpool Football Club (particularly under Klopp) has not shown Sturridge the respect he deserves, and then on top of that, plenty of fans have shown disrespect too. Including Gerrard.

Best thing Sturridge can do is move on to a club where he can shown his abilities again. Sad day for us when that happens.

Quick Reply