Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)

Read 21309 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)
      Reply #92: Feb 13, 2017 07:51:14 pm
      I don't care what price we get for him because unless we replace him with someone better then the money provides no on pitch benefit for us.

We would spunk it all on a few nobodies to fill the squad out, absolutely guarantee that.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)
      Reply #93: Feb 13, 2017 07:59:19 pm
      I disagree, he does press more than Sturridge. Not quite Firmino/Kuyt levels, but still better than Daniel.

Since when did I say he doesn't press more than Sturridge? ???
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #94: Feb 13, 2017 08:10:13 pm
      Yep. People seem to forget how good he really is because he hasn't been featuring for Klopp.

Do you really think that FL.

Read a stat that Sturridge has never scored more than 15 goals in a season, so no matter how good he was you could never build a team around him.

Now I personally rated him only behind Aguero in the premier league but he's nowhere near those standards and I don't need to see him game in and game out to make that statement because there are some things that simply aren't going to improve because this is the longest sustained run without injury Sturridge has had since he got here.

Now even with that run he lacks explosive pace, you don't need match fitness to get near your top speed out of the blocks and he isn't even close. Secondly his top speed on prolonged runs has just disappeared, again you don't need a run in the side to at least sprint occasionally at high speed in a match. Studge doesn't do it at all, in fact it's painful to watch.

Finally, the thing that will mean he leaves with no regrets from our side is that even though he's lost this pace he hasn't shown enough adaption to the way we want to play. Once or twice a match he'll track and press but that isn't enough, not even close to be a striker in our team right now.

Carragher summed it up perfectly, if Daniel Sturridge isn't scoring he brings absolutely nothing to the side and I'm afraid that's where we're at. If our goal was to survive in the league the goals he could score could prove invaluable and without doubt we'll get interest, I suspect from abroad.

So when it comes to value I can still see us getting £25m approximately for him (caveat: If China come calling it could be anything) but there are very few teams who can pay that fee and pay the wages he would demand so I honestly don't think it will be as easy as some may suspect to move him on for a large fee.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #95: Feb 13, 2017 08:26:05 pm
      Bolasie cost The Bitters nearly 30 million, I would think based on that alone that Sturridge is worth £60 million! I would hate to see him playing for another PL team, but id be looking around £40 million easily.

Can't see it he'll be gone for £20M and a few clauses in the summer to West Ham or the like
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #96: Feb 13, 2017 08:28:08 pm
      £20,000,001 :D

In all honesty, it's a weird situation due to his injury history. We definitely won't get what a player of his talent is worth but £20m gets you f**k all in today's market.

The problem with Aguero is he looks to be on his way out of Man City for the very same reasons Sturridge doesn't start for us. He'd score a bucket load but there's no way he's pressing from the front or chasing the ball down. He's also massively injury prone.

Aubameyang is of course ideal BUT he's going to have a number of other clubs interested in him that will be more than happy to stump up the transfer fee and the wage demands, I don't see us doing either.

I take your point regarding Kun Aguero being similar to Studge injury wise, however, I think we'll see a different Liverpool next season, we will still press and have heavy metal football but Jürgen isn't daft, he knows he'll have to change things and have a alternative style of play, at the moment he doesn't have the quality which would allow such changes,

Add 3-4-5 top quality additions that have the capability to play different styles either from the training pitches or even during a match then we will be a far more dangerous proposition, Aguero imo is superior to Sturridge in that he can adapt to any style of play and still retain his prowess, Aubamayang likewise, or indeed Lewandowski,

I think some Daniels problems are in his head, of course it doesn't help when your gaffer prefers a certain style which leaves you on the bench more often than not, but Aguero has been pushed aside since that young fella Jesus has been flavour of the month rather than not being suited or injury,

As for FSG stumping up the dollar, well we all know what their real reasons for being here are but I think Klopp will hammer home to them that they need to dig deep in order to take us up another level, it of course remains to be seen whether or not they are prepared to do so, I suspect tho that like me you won't be holding your breath.

Edit; I'd like to see these guys come in this summer......new keeper, possibly Joe Hart, Julien Weigl dm, David Robertson lb, Virgil Van Dijk cb, Aubamayang/Aguero/Lewandowski,  LUIS SUAREZ to name but a few.

We can but dream eh ?

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #97: Feb 13, 2017 08:37:08 pm

I take your point regarding Kun Aguero being similar to Studge injury wise, however, I think we'll see a different Liverpool next season, we will still press and have heavy metal football but Jürgen isn't daft, he knows he'll have to change things and have a alternative style of play, at the moment he doesn't have the quality which would allow such changes,

Add 3-4-5 top quality additions that have the capability to play different styles either from the training pitches or even during a match then we will be a far more dangerous proposition, Aguero imo is superior to Sturridge in that he can adapt to any style of play and still retain his prowess, Aubamayang likewise, or indeed Lewandowski,

I think some Daniels problems are in his head, of course it doesn't help when your gaffer prefers a certain style which leaves you on the bench more often than not, but Aguero has been pushed aside since that young fella Jesus has been flavour of the month rather than not being suited or injury,

As for FSG stumping up the dollar, well we all know what their real reasons for being here are but I think Klopp will hammer home to them that they need to dig deep in order to take us up another level, it of course remains to be seen whether or not they are prepared to do so, I suspect tho that like me you won't be holding your breath.

Edit; I'd like to see these guys come in this summer......new keeper, possibly Joe Hart, Julien Weigl dm, David Robertson lb, Virgil Van Dijk cb, Aubamayang/Aguero/Lewandowski,  LUIS SUAREZ to name but a few.

We can but dream eh ?

YNWA

Do you mean Andrew Robertson, Billy? :D For a list of players like that you're looking at somewhere near £150m+. Never are the owners going to dish out that kind of dosh, neither will Klopp IMO.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #98: Feb 13, 2017 08:46:20 pm
      Do you mean Andrew Robertson, Billy? :D For a list of players like that you're looking at somewhere near £150m+. Never are the owners going to dish out that kind of dosh, neither will Klopp IMO.

Yes mate, my bad, regarding Robertson, can't think why i said David, ;D, yikes £150m you reckon, sh*t, that's scary money, but then again to keep up with the Jones's if that's what it takes cest la vie, like you tho can't see it, not in one window anyhoo ?

YNWA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #99: Feb 13, 2017 09:26:48 pm
      £150- £180 MILL Plus wages for 3 top players, Probably another £ 100 mill over 5 years. 
      What sort of money would we generate if we say.... won 3 Prem titles, 3 domestic cups, and 2 champions league in that five year spell ?
      Would it cover that sort of expenditure, along with the cost of the income, of the rest of the squad as well. Realising we would get some dosh in for players we unload, but surely if we only bought 3 in, we could only let 1 go, or we wouldn't be improving the squad.
      Mind numbing sums of money, but where would the extra revenue come from apart from the extra shirt sales. The prem and cups, don't generate that sort of prize fund, we would only make the extra, on the gate for the extra games.   :confused-smiley-013:
      Are FSG gonna pump money in that won't stack up to profit in the short term ? Only consistently winning, generates long term profits, but there's a lot of competition out there for the big comps.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #100: Feb 13, 2017 11:00:26 pm
      All this money talk just goes to show how football has disappeared up its own arse...

Utterly disgusting the amounts involved these days...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #101: Feb 14, 2017 08:47:02 am
      Yep. People seem to forget how good he really is because he hasn't been featuring for Klopp.

Indeed but to be fair, those people are a bit 'slow' FL: poor things.  :-\

As for missing through injury? [Without checking] He's probably been available for as many games as Grujic for example. 

The lad is a top striker and worth way more than his own are (weirdly) giving him credit for.
      « Last Edit: Feb 14, 2017 09:01:38 am by bad boy bubby »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #102: Feb 14, 2017 09:38:21 am
      Indeed but to be fair, those people are a bit 'slow' FL: poor things.  :-\

As for missing through injury? [Without checking] He's probably been available for as many games as Grujic for example. 

The lad is a top striker and worth way more than his own are (weirdly) giving him credit for.

Spot on.

If Klopp decided Sturridge was integral to his plans as of tomorrow, you'd witness half the plebs doing a 180.  ;)

Fact is though, he's not - so Klopp's going to need to bring in someone better.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #103: Feb 14, 2017 10:01:38 am
      Do you really think that FL.

Read a stat that Sturridge has never scored more than 15 goals in a season, so no matter how good he was you could never build a team around him.

Now I personally rated him only behind Aguero in the premier league but he's nowhere near those standards and I don't need to see him game in and game out to make that statement because there are some things that simply aren't going to improve because this is the longest sustained run without injury Sturridge has had since he got here.

Now even with that run he lacks explosive pace, you don't need match fitness to get near your top speed out of the blocks and he isn't even close. Secondly his top speed on prolonged runs has just disappeared, again you don't need a run in the side to at least sprint occasionally at high speed in a match. Studge doesn't do it at all, in fact it's painful to watch.

Finally, the thing that will mean he leaves with no regrets from our side is that even though he's lost this pace he hasn't shown enough adaption to the way we want to play. Once or twice a match he'll track and press but that isn't enough, not even close to be a striker in our team right now.

Carragher summed it up perfectly, if Daniel Sturridge isn't scoring he brings absolutely nothing to the side and I'm afraid that's where we're at. If our goal was to survive in the league the goals he could score could prove invaluable and without doubt we'll get interest, I suspect from abroad.

So when it comes to value I can still see us getting £25m approximately for him (caveat: If China come calling it could be anything) but there are very few teams who can pay that fee and pay the wages he would demand so I honestly don't think it will be as easy as some may suspect to move him on for a large fee.

Never scores more than 15 in a season? He scored 21 league goals in our runners-up season...

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #104: Feb 14, 2017 10:41:09 am
      Never scores more than 15 in a season? He scored 21 league goals in our runners-up season...

It's literally the only season he's scored more than 11 league goals but his goals per game ratio is still quite good.

In his career he's played 253 games, scored 98 goals and has 35 assists. The sad thing is, he's only ever played in 179 league games. The highest amount of league games he's played in a season is 30 at Chelsea and he also had a 29 league game season here in 13/14 but other than that it's been 15 games, 12 games, 14 games etc.

If we're to challenge for anything then we need somebody who is reliable and doesn't need to be babysat so that we can use him during some point in the season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #105: Feb 14, 2017 10:47:36 am
      Sturridge and Sterling will forever be underrated.
      That front 3, with Suarez, tore the Premier League a new arsehole.

2 gone. 1 ravaged by injury.
      Strangely only one gets the credit for that phenomenal attacking season.
      « Last Edit: Feb 14, 2017 12:29:57 pm by racerx34 »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #106: Feb 14, 2017 01:28:00 pm

Sorry mate I meant to say outside of that one season, my fault that.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #107: Feb 14, 2017 01:57:23 pm
      Fact is though, he's not - so Klopp's going to need to bring in someone better.

As long as we get better in return I couldn't give a flying F**k if Danny is sold twice over... it's that simple. Why anyone needs to flip flop and invent excuses F**k knows. It's funny to watch tho.  :laugh:

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #108: Feb 14, 2017 02:07:04 pm

I can understand why some do underrate Sturridge because he's never had a run of 2 or 3 seasons where he's played 30+ league games and scored the goals to boot. For some he's somewhat of an unknown.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #109: Feb 14, 2017 02:12:12 pm
      If we're to challenge for anything then we need somebody who is reliable and doesn't need to be babysat so that we can use him during some point in the season.
      A very fair point that; although, surely, the same was also true and probably obvious before the last two transfer windows for sure (painfully so, before January to be truthful).

Still... as the aul saying goes... fourth window lucky and all that. 😊 😉

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2017 02:22:48 pm by bad boy bubby »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #110: Feb 14, 2017 02:22:32 pm
      I can understand why some do underrate Sturridge because he's never had a run of 2 or 3 seasons where he's played 30+ league games and scored the goals to boot. For some he's somewhat of an unknown.

Sturridge was sensational, only outshone because Suarez was in the process of going Super Saiyan.
      His pace is gone though. Be it mental or physical. Probably a mix of both.

I should add:

I said underrated. Dismissed is probably the better word.
      They're not seen as grafters. They're "too flash".
      Not a "working man's" player.

The fact Sturridge is one burst of speed away from missing a month has killed his game,
      but for that season, along with Suarez and Sterling, he was immense.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #111: Feb 14, 2017 02:55:49 pm
      Sturridge was sensational, only outshone because Suarez was in the process of going Super Saiyan.
      His pace is gone though. Be it mental or physical. Probably a mix of both.

I should add:

I said underrated. Dismissed is probably the better word.
      They're not seen as grafters. They're "too flash".
      Not a "working man's" player.

The fact Sturridge is one burst of speed away from missing a month has killed his game,
      but for that season, along with Suarez and Sterling, he was immense.

He was good in that one season with Suarez but I think anyone who plays alongside the mad man will become better.

I'd have probably got into double figures that season if I was playing up front with Luis.

But on Studge you can see his brilliance just a shame the way it's turned out really isn't it.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #112: Feb 14, 2017 03:08:08 pm

Not even the manager get's credit for putting them together.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #113: Feb 14, 2017 04:13:31 pm
      I think people are going to get a bit disappointed when he leaves as I do not think we are going to go out a buy a traditional #9 type striker to replace Daniel.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #114: Feb 14, 2017 04:29:03 pm
      Not even the manager get's credit for putting them together.

I'd give him praise if I knew that it was him who put them together and not somebody else.

Quick Reply