Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      10 (8.7%)
      Joel Matip
      6 (5.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      63 (54.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Mar 23, 2017 06:31:22 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 36273 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: LIVE Man City V Liverpool
      Reply #483: Mar 19, 2017 06:29:46 pm
      A good point all things considered we could easily have lost this

We could also have won it,still it was a good result .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #484: Mar 19, 2017 06:30:08 pm
      Absolutely brilliant game and I think on balance a draw was probably fair but we could have scored 5 or 6, so it goes to show so could they.

Can was head and shoulders above anyone out there today, an absolutely fantastic performance by the lad. Bobby, Lallana, Matip our other really positive performers.

Now I'd love someone to go back through that match and count the number of crosses we blocked to get in the box. I think it was perhaps 2 from Milner and 1 from Clyne out of over 20 the entire match. Their defending was absolutely embarrassing, thankfully for the most part Matip, Klavan and Can managed to bail them out time and time again.

We couldn't keep bailing them out though and Klavan just slightly misjudged it and Aguero finished well. At the other end Lallana had a tap in, Mane had one from the penalty spot rolled to him, another 6 yards out he couldn't get good contact on and we won a pen, all created by Bobby, yet he's "so wasteful in attack". The 3 chances he missed, he hit one through the legs of a defender and it just went on the outside of the post, the second he took a shot that he was clearly knackered with (you know he hasn't trained this week and he's carrying an injury and he's played almost every minute, but no slack given.) No surprise he was subbed just after, people asking why he didn't pass to Lallana, well he'd just put one on a plate for him, so he thought he'd try and take responsibility. The final and biggest chance he missed was from a difficult angle, he got it on target and the keeper got his angles right but of course Bobby should score that.... Go and watch what Aguero missed all day and then realise the standard you're holding him to.

Well played lads, loved the game, loved our attitude towards it and we remain unbeaten in the top 6 mini league. Shame it isn't decided on that because we're about 5 points clear!

Good performance that though, huge amount of positives to take forward.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #485: Mar 19, 2017 06:30:33 pm
      Can MOTM - where were these performances the whole season?

Question is, what will it be like against the bitters
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #486: Mar 19, 2017 06:31:17 pm
      Exactly.:  :f_doh:

Ratboy is a dickhead.  :lmao:

That is probably the nicest thing someone has said about him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #487: Mar 19, 2017 06:31:48 pm
      Gini is boss. Can't believe Lallana missed that, seems like he took it for granted.
      A much, much better performance from Emre Can. Remember people saying he did well against United when in all honesty I thought he was pretty sh*t. This time though, he did quite well overall. Not a huge fan of his positional play but it seems to have been an instruction from the manager as he (or Hendo, when playing that position) does not usually go that high up the pitch to press. Thought Gini covered well for him a couple of times, but it was quite risky stuff.
      Firmino probably should have scored but created chances and suffered a penalty - he's really physical and has a classy touch, gives defenders something to worry about while Origi can be so easy to defend against.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #488: Mar 19, 2017 06:31:50 pm
      Question is, what will it be like against the bitters

Will he play if hendo is fit.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #489: Mar 19, 2017 06:32:51 pm
      ManC was better overall, we can be satisfied with one point. One could see the talent gap to ManC at times, but we did hang in. I can happily live with that draw. 
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,547 posts | 1495 
      Reply #490: Mar 19, 2017 06:32:59 pm
      Fair result. We can dwell on our missed chances but Man City had them in equal supply as well.
      Can't argue with that and as you and a few posters have said it was a fair result on the balance of play.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #491: Mar 19, 2017 06:33:05 pm
      Can should've been MOTM, Bobby tried has best too.
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #492: Mar 19, 2017 06:33:12 pm
      Disappointed that we didn't win but in the end both sides had chances to win the game so I think it's a good result.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #493: Mar 19, 2017 06:33:46 pm
      I must also add that Sterling's end product is an absolute joke. We're quite fortunate in that aspect  :D
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 233 
      Reply #494: Mar 19, 2017 06:34:01 pm
      Fair result both teams missed a lot of chances. Still unbeaten against the big teams!
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #495: Mar 19, 2017 06:34:47 pm
      I must also add that Sterling's end product is an absolute joke. We're quite fortunate in that aspect  :D

Less said the better about that toerag.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #496: Mar 19, 2017 06:35:25 pm
      Can MOTM - where were these performances the whole season?

Get your point but I think he's been getting better and better. To his defence he's been carrying an injury and that bought Henderson a lot of slack last season.

No matter though, for the first time since the first few matches he played this season I'm really looking forward to seeing him play again. That was brilliant to watch from Emre.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #497: Mar 19, 2017 06:35:46 pm
      Suppose a point is not a bad result, but thought we edged the game today, just.
      Know Aguero had a great chance at the end, but Lallana won't sleep well tonight seeing his miss.
      Disappointed Jürgen took off Cou when he did, thought he was starting to probe a few openings and influence the game more. Didn't think Origi was aweful, but for the game that was in it, thought Cou would've been better to stay on.
      Will give Can MOTM, not only got in important tackles, but used the ball well, and super pass to Firmino to win the peno. Was not found wanting today. Gini and Lallana also did well, as did Firmino. Thought Mane was great in the first half, but didn't have much impact in the 2nd, would've been my pick to be subbed tbh.
      At the back, also thought we did quite well considering the attacking options City had on the day, Klavan and Matip didn't do a whole lot wrong.
      3 points would've been great, still plenty to do to make top4, but good performance by us and hopefully we can continue this form.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #498: Mar 19, 2017 06:37:04 pm

2 points dropped as were games ahead of the teams around us who are all (bar arsenal) getting results

And those teams have to play and take points off of each other

Sprus: Chelsea, Arsenal, United
      Arsenal: Spurs, City, United
      United: Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea
      City: Arsenal, Chelsea.

Beat the bitters in the next fixture and its 10 points out of 12 against Arsenal, City & Bitters.....thats not bad at all.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #499: Mar 19, 2017 06:37:33 pm
      Get your point but I think he's been getting better and better. To his defence he's been carrying an injury and that bought Henderson a lot of slack last season.

No matter though, for the first time since the first few matches he played this season I'm really looking forward to seeing him play again. That was brilliant to watch from Emre.

Can has always struck me as a player who needs games under his belt to find his best form, but I also think that's down to his age and lack of experience.
      With Henderson out, he's had a good run of full matches, and his performances have steadily improved.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #500: Mar 19, 2017 06:37:43 pm
      So Liverpool will finish the season unbeaten by top 6.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #501: Mar 19, 2017 06:38:04 pm
      I would have put on Woodburn for last 10 minutes foe mane
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #502: Mar 19, 2017 06:38:17 pm
      Before kick off I would have taken a draw so I'm not that disappointed considering both teams missed some piss easy chances. Was a great attacking game but the finishing was shocking.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 684 posts | 91 
      Reply #503: Mar 19, 2017 06:39:12 pm
      Thought we were so far on top until one simple change from Pep taking Yaya off then the game changed.

Firmino no composure in front of goal most probably cost us and Lallana miss.

We could have conceded a penalty and Milner sent off though in first half so a point each most probably fair
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017 07:58:41 pm by paulow63 »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #504: Mar 19, 2017 06:39:15 pm
      Fair fucks a point!

Thought with a bit more class and a bit more speed (also with a game winner on the bench perhaps) we had enough scenarios to finish them off.

The old SAS would have, the currebt front 3 isn't of that class, but can't knock the effort.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #505: Mar 19, 2017 06:40:05 pm
      After all the slating of Can by myself, about his lack of mobility pace and desire.
      Today I eat my words. He was terrific, and battled for everything until the final whistle.
      Solid, mobile, and bullied  his way through that game. Didn't give them a moments peace. Slotted a few decent balls through as well.
      Why he doesn't do it every week is a mystery, but today, credit where credits due !

Quick Reply