Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. The Ox?

Yes, even at £35m.
      23 (14.6%)
      Yes, but not for that much.
      78 (49.7%)
      No way.
      56 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Read 85322 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
      Apr 12, 2017 11:55:04 am
      Exclusive: Liverpool eye Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and are not put off by Arsenal’s £35million valuation
      Liverpool are refusing to be scared off by Arsenal’s £35million valuation of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as Jürgen Klopp steps up his pursuit of the unsettled England midfielder.

Arsenal have yet to hold any formal talks with Oxlade-Chamberlain over a new contract, even though the 23-year-old is about to enter the final 12 months of his existing deal, and Liverpool are eager to exploit the situation.

Klopp is a keen admirer of Oxlade-Chamberlain and hopes to take advantage of the uncertainty over the player’s future at Arsenal as well as his growing frustration at not being a regular starter.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has been introduced from the substitutes’ bench more times (13) than he has made starts (12) in the Premier League this season and was again omitted from the starting XI for Monday’s woeful 3-0 defeat at Crystal Palace that dealt another serious blow to Arsenal’s hopes of a top four finish. Oxlade-Chamberlain also has his England prospects to consider.

Much of Arsenal’s focus in recent months has appeared to centre on the uncertain futures of Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil, who are also out of contract at the end of next season and at risk of leaving, while others have been left to stew.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has been told talks will take place at the end of the season but the prospect of the midfielder leaving is another troubling headache for Arsenal’s embattled manager, Arsene Wenger.

Jack Wilshere, the 25-year-old England midfielder currently on loan at Bournemouth, and left back Kieran Gibbs, 27, are two others out of contract in June next year.

Arsenal sold Robin van Persie to Manchester United for £24 million in August 2012, when the Holland striker was in the final year of his contract, so their £35 million plus valuation of Oxlade-Chamberlain seems optimistic.

Liverpool would be confident of driving that price down and believe the changes being brought about at Anfield by Klopp, who wants to add to a strong nucleus of English players featuring Adam Lallana, Jordan Henderson, Nathaniel Clyne and James Milner among others, will appeal to Oxlade-Chamberlain.

A potentially tumultuous summer lies in store for Arsenal, with Wenger’s future the subject of intense debate, and there are a plethora of other issues. Ozil was non-committal about his future in an interview the Germany playmaker gave over the weekend but the Sanchez predicament is particularly pressing, with Arsenal in grave danger of losing their leading scorer.

Paris St-Germain are understood to be the favourites to sign Sanchez ahead of Chelsea or Manchester City in the event the Chile forward decides to leave this summer, when Arsenal would be far keener to sell him to an overseas club than allow him to join a direct rival, as they did with Van Persie.

Van Persie joined United and then played a central role in helping to deliver the Premier League title with 27 goals in the competition and Arsenal are eager to avoid a repeat situation. Both Chelsea and City want to sign Sanchez, and United are also thought to be monitoring the situation, but striking a deal would be far from straight-forward.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/11/liverpool-transfer-news-arsenals-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-still/

May be £35,000,001 would be in order.  A lot of money with 1 year left on his contract, but is he worth it?

I don't know, we have missed out on some good players because we don't want to pay the price, and IMO we have suffered for it.

Another mid-fielder! I really think we need goal strikers, but saying that we are the top scorers in the league, so may be Klopp is turning our current mid-fielders in to goal scorers, and thus making a rotational system where the attacking half of the team can play in any offensive position.

What do you lot think? Personally, why not.
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017 12:02:06 pm by RedPuppy »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
      Reply #1: Apr 12, 2017 12:12:39 pm
      Injury prone and inconsistent.

No thank you.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2: Apr 12, 2017 12:28:14 pm
      Injury prone and inconsistent.

No thank you.

Like Sturridge....

But I hear what you're saying, but not been injured since last season.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-oxlade-chamberlain/verletzungen/spieler/143424
      Unlike DS
      http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daniel-sturridge/verletzungen/spieler/47082
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Apr 12, 2017 12:31:36 pm
      Not good enough to bring us to next level; irrespective of cost (IMO, obviously). 😝
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017 12:35:48 pm by bad boy bubby »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #4: Apr 12, 2017 12:37:54 pm
      Why not I think under klopp he could improve massively.

Not sure about 35m though but then we do walk into transfers with mug us right off on our heads.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Apr 12, 2017 12:43:40 pm
      Arsenal have yet to hold any formal talks with Oxlade-Chamberlain over a new contract, even though the 23-year-old is about to enter the final 12 months of his existing deal, and Liverpool are eager to exploit the situation.

Or Oxlade-Chamberlain's agent is keen to get Arsenal to start talking about a new deal?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Apr 12, 2017 12:45:18 pm
      Is he a winger ? Is he a cm, why is he always injured ? Too many questions and personally don't rate the lad and the price is laughable
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Apr 12, 2017 12:54:27 pm
      Is he a winger ? Is he a cm, why is he always injured ? Too many questions and personally don't rate the lad and the price is laughable

Another Daniel Sturridge?  ??? ??? ???
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Apr 12, 2017 12:55:53 pm
      They started playing him in CM because he was moaning about not getting enough game time and threatened to leave if he didn't get it. The only spot available was in CM so that's where he got put to shut him up. As a back up winger he'd be alright but how long until he's bitching and moaning about not starting for us because of Mane or Coutinho?

He's not good enough to get into our strongest 11 which makes me question why we'd match our record transfer fee for him.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #9: Apr 12, 2017 12:58:46 pm
      Or Oxlade-Chamberlain's agent is keen to get Arsenal to start talking about a new deal?

Good observation as always.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #10: Apr 12, 2017 01:06:28 pm
      Spot on, I think its just like the previous summer window, where Zielinski(I think) wore our shirt for the same purposes. The sh*t their agents make them do is F***ing cringe-worthy. And for 35 Million, guess that will get us an actual quality player.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #11: Apr 12, 2017 01:17:39 pm
      For 20 mill he would be worth a punt..
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #12: Apr 12, 2017 01:23:54 pm
      For 20 mill he would be worth a punt..

I'd rather we give Kent and Wilson a punt than spend 20m on Ox.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #13: Apr 12, 2017 01:35:54 pm
      I see we are preparing for the Summer Transfers with lots of shock and horror that Liverpool will be buying players 'over value' that we don't consider to be good enough, or injury-free enough, or whatever other reason..   and forgetting that the same was said last Summer about Mane.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the "who" we actually buy, if that "who" is a genuine Klopp target, and not a last resort, or chosen because LFC don't permit Klopp to use the funds.

I'm looking forward to a good Summer. Klopp has said he is going for it, has learnt his lessons, and has the funds..
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #14: Apr 12, 2017 02:03:29 pm
      This guy is simply not good enough, he cant get a run in a poor arsenal midfield, there is nothing - absolutely nothing that he will add to the team to improve it other than adding to our British quota.

if he is a sign of the times and what were looking to pay for then I need to accept more of the same from us

and for all the 'if klopp wants him' and 'he will do a job' so called fans.....grow a set  :mad: :lmao:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #15: Apr 12, 2017 02:12:58 pm
      Why would we want to pay £35 million for a player that has only a 12 month contract to run? Surely we can wait can't we?.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #16: Apr 12, 2017 02:17:56 pm
      Why would we want to pay £35 million for a player that has only a 12 month contract to run? Surely we can wait can't we?.

fans know that this is something that we will or could do for someone so underwhelming

I expect that in a few days people would/will have posted video links and reviews making the ox out to be something special - ignoring everything they know about what they have seen in place for some well picked stats which will be compared to one of our underperformers (stat wise) to the Ox.

:mad:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #17: Apr 12, 2017 02:31:26 pm
      I think he's a very good player who has not been used well under Wenger at all, not worth the 35 million mind you, especially because of the year left on the contract. He'd bring much needed competition for some positions. £20 million would be a good price for him.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #18: Apr 12, 2017 02:38:06 pm
      I think he's a very good player who has not been used well under Wenger at all, not worth the 35 million mind you, especially because of the year left on the contract. He'd bring much needed competition for some positions. £20 million would be a good price for him.

when you say he is very good and not been used well under wenger -

can you explain 1. how you have determined he is very good and 2. what other club teams have you seen him at to determine that its wengers fault for not using him well?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #19: Apr 12, 2017 02:46:39 pm
      I refuse to believe that we're going to buy him, and for that price.

It's got to be a wind up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #20: Apr 12, 2017 02:58:57 pm
      I refuse to believe that we're going to buy him, and for that price.

It's got to be a wind up.

Tend to agree.

It's a strange price for a player in the last 12 months of his contract.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21: Apr 12, 2017 03:09:48 pm
      when you say he is very good and not been used well under wenger -

can you explain 1. how you have determined he is very good and 2. what other club teams have you seen him at to determine that its wengers fault for not using him well?

Just from watching him play for years now he seems to have power, pace, determination and a pretty good passer of the ball. I have quite a few mates who support Arsenal so most of my thoughts on him being used wrong are from them. He's playing central, wide, deep, false 9 and each time it's a different place usually from the bench too so he can't get settled into a stable role. What they love about him is that he gets at people, very rarely does he let players go round him and he also runs at people too which is what they like. He's a hard worker and is a bit of an unpolished diamond in my eyes, sounds like a perfect Klopp player?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Apr 12, 2017 03:12:22 pm
      He's not good enough to get into our strongest 11 which makes me question why we'd match our record transfer fee for him.

When you put it in those kind of terms... yep.

If we've got £35M to punt on a player then they should be in the first team.  We're some way off £35M signings forming part of our squad IMO.

Club would be all over the extra money from shirt lettering.

Quick Reply