Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. The Ox?

Yes, even at £35m.
      23 (14.6%)
      Yes, but not for that much.
      78 (49.7%)
      No way.
      56 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Read 85881 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 1074 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
      Reply #276: Jul 03, 2017 09:14:14 pm
      At today's prices 25 million would be a good buy. Solid squad/performer and could make a lot worse buys. at this money.

Exactly. The market is what it is, and in this market that's about right for Oxlade. You seem like a pretty seasonable dude, so why pull for United? You seem smarter than that  ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #277: Jul 03, 2017 09:18:11 pm
      There is a lot of football to be played this year so there will be time for everyone. Last year we were thin and that was in a year without to much extra football. We got tired and hurt and lack of depth showed in Jan & Feb. This year with champions league and other tourneys we need quality guys who can play FA and lower league games to give rest to other players. With his versatility I like the idea. If you don't like his price than you don't like the market. If we want 15 for Moreno than Ox is certainly worth 25. That's just the market man. Besides, now that he has turned down Arsenal I think we may get him for the less. We hold the hill

We've also suffered from a lack of quality in depth in recent years. That at least now seems to be changing under Klopp with genuine talent competing for places. Having Ox competing with Keita, Coutinho, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Can and Henderson for midfield spots could only be a good thing. Given the inflated market this Summer, £25 million seems like a steel for him.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,856 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #278: Jul 03, 2017 09:46:27 pm
      Exactly. The market is what it is, and in this market that's about right for Oxlade. You seem like a pretty seasonable dude, so why pull for United? You seem smarter than that  ;)

Born & breed in Salford so that may have something to do with it.  ;D However, first match I ever went to was when my eldest brother took me to Maine Rd when City were home to Leeds. He tried to convert me, as you can see he wasn't very successful  ;D
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 1074 
      Reply #279: Jul 03, 2017 10:19:12 pm
      We've also suffered from a lack of quality in depth in recent years. That at least now seems to be changing under Klopp with genuine talent competing for places. Having Ox competing with Keita, Coutinho, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Can and Henderson for midfield spots could only be a good thing. Given the inflated market this Summer, £25 million seems like a steel for him.

Agreed, and with Lallana's contract extension coming up I can think of no better time than to see what the market says about him. Strike while the iron is hot. Ox can play multiple positions for now and can fill an even bigger need in the coming years.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 1074 
      Reply #280: Jul 03, 2017 10:21:47 pm
      Born & breed in Salford so that may have something to do with it.  ;D However, first match I ever went to was when my eldest brother took me to Maine Rd when City were home to Leeds. He tried to convert me, as you can see he wasn't very successful  ;D

I'm American so I have no clue where Salford is ;D It's good to meet u, and I look forward to slinging jabs your way in the coming months. I would say good luck, but you know I wouldn't mean it. Cheers!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,856 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #281: Jul 03, 2017 10:57:45 pm
      I'm American so I have no clue where Salford is ;D It's good to meet u, and I look forward to slinging jabs your way in the coming months. I would say good luck, but you know I wouldn't mean it. Cheers!

Salford is 5 mins from the ground depending what part of Salford your from  :)  Better get back on subject now as sometimes mods pull members for going off topic. You were saying about Chamberlin  :D
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #282: Jul 03, 2017 11:20:36 pm
      He is young and brings pace. I like the deal for the right price. Having speed on your side can cause all sorts of problems. Not to mention with more games this season, quality depth is important.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #283: Jul 03, 2017 11:22:01 pm
      Salford is 5 mins from the ground depending what part of Salford your from  :)  Better get back on subject now as sometimes mods pull members for going off topic. You were saying about Chamberlin  :D

You sure Salford is 5 minutes from the ground Keith? Most Man Utd fans have Essex accents don't they??! :P
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,856 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #284: Jul 04, 2017 10:34:58 am
      You sure Salford is 5 minutes from the ground Keith? Most Man Utd fans have Essex accents don't they??! :P

Off topic  :f_whistle:  ;D
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #285: Jul 05, 2017 02:24:25 pm
      There is a lot of football to be played this year so there will be time for everyone. Last year we were thin and that was in a year without to much extra football. We got tired and hurt and lack of depth showed in Jan & Feb. This year with champions league and other tourneys we need quality guys who can play FA and lower league games to give rest to other players. With his versatility I like the idea. If you don't like his price than you don't like the market. If we want 15 for Moreno than Ox is certainly worth 25. That's just the market man. Besides, now that he has turned down Arsenal I think we may get him for the less. We hold the hill

Our transfer committee has a proven bad habit of over haggling the price to the point of not buying anyone until the last minute panic buy. Overpaid say 5 mil better than overpaying say 15 mil for an unproven player in the PL.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #286: Jul 05, 2017 02:44:37 pm
      Our transfer committee has a proven bad habit of over haggling the price to the point of not buying anyone until the last minute panic buy. Overpaid say 5 mil better than overpaying say 15 mil for an unproven player in the PL.

If anyone had a job record as bad as the TC they'd have been sacked yesterday.
      Another conundrum in the FSG puzzle.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #287: Jul 05, 2017 03:44:02 pm
      I'm with the minority. He's most probably worth 20 mil. But,

He's young and can only get better :  Add 5 mil
      He has experience playing in the PL  :  Add 5 mil
      He dares to take on defenders and fast :  Add 5 mil
      He can make some nice crosses  :  Add 5 mil

Total  :  40 mil

If Arsenal offers to sell at 30 mil, get the deal done and stop haggling.

If we dallied, someone comes round and offered what Arsenal is asking, we're back to buying overpriced and unproven PL striker.
      Diouf has PL experience, does that mean he was worth 5m more than a player who didn't? I guess we better ask Keitas agent to knock 5m off then.....and if you are doing money for attributes you need to add the weaknesses.

His goal stats are terrible -5m
      He has done little meaningful in most the games he played -5m
      Doesn't win the ball off others much -5m

30m is not a bargain. 25m should be an absolute maximum for him, but I don't see a point in getting him.
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017 03:52:24 pm by Ribapuru »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,183 posts | 911 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #288: Jul 05, 2017 03:59:28 pm

Agreed but we all sit back
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #289: Jul 06, 2017 11:03:32 am

I'm beginning to wonder, has any one or more of the transfer committee members been professional footballers before? Otherwise, things couldn't be that bad, can it? I suspect they are a bunch of sweet talkers, that''s all. Saying the right thing that the boss wants and likes to hear instead of getting the fecking job done properly. I'm growing frustrated, really frustrated.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #290: Jul 06, 2017 12:34:25 pm
      I'm beginning to wonder, has any one or more of the transfer committee members been professional footballers before? Otherwise, things couldn't be that bad, can it? I suspect they are a bunch of sweet talkers, that''s all. Saying the right thing that the boss wants and likes to hear instead of getting the fecking job done properly. I'm growing frustrated, really frustrated.

Most are FSG appointments mate, that makes things a lot clearer.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,401 posts | 191 
      Reply #291: Jul 12, 2017 04:25:35 pm
      Horrible injury history.

13/14  34 games missed
      14/15  19 games missed
      15/16  19 games missed
      16/17   5 games missed

I would look elsewhere. Don't want him
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6343 
      Reply #292: Jul 12, 2017 04:34:29 pm
      Horrible injury history.

13/14  34 games missed
      14/15  19 games missed
      15/16  19 games missed
      16/17   5 games missed

I would look elsewhere. Don't want him

I honestly don't want him either, but at this point, if he's a target for the boss...why haven't we sealed the deal? It's obvious he doesn't want to stay at Arsenal as he's rejected any new deal.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #293: Jul 12, 2017 05:06:25 pm
      Cant remember who mentioned it, but if the intention is to play him at wingback ahead of Milly/Clyne and offer backup to Mane/Salah, then it seems a decent move.  Could honestly see him being boss as a wingback....
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,401 posts | 191 
      Reply #294: Jul 12, 2017 05:45:21 pm
      I honestly don't want him either, but at this point, if he's a target for the boss...why haven't we sealed the deal? It's obvious he doesn't want to stay at Arsenal as he's rejected any new deal.

Because in my opinion our TC is inept and FSG are cheap. More concerned with the Red Sox.   They already screwed up the VVD situation. And thats just this window. Last summer we had a negative net spend. Its truly amazing Klopp got us in the CL with such a thin squad.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #295: Jul 12, 2017 08:38:05 pm
      Last summer we had a negative net spend

As much as people go on about this, and I understand why, but we still managed to bring in Mane for £36mill and have him up there with the best of the leagues signings. Along with Gini for £25mill who more than played his part in getting us back into the Champions League. Matip was free but if he wasn't out of contract we'd have paid £20mill+ for him, yet he's been our best defender compared to the last 40, 50mill we've spent on defenders. I don't care if we have negative net spend, I just want us to sign players who have significant impacts and make us better. Don't want us spunking a load of money just so we can say we didn't have negative net spend because if we did this and the signings were more Markovic than Mane in terms of impacts then all hell would break lose and people would kick off at us wasting a load of money. Kind of get the feeling people want us to spend money for the wrong reasons and to just look as though we are up there with the likes of City when it comes to flexing financial muscle.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #296: Jul 13, 2017 02:44:21 am
      Klopp knows more about togger than I ever will. If he wants Oxlade Chamberlain, we should go out and get him.

It's that simple for me.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 1074 
      Reply #297: Jul 13, 2017 06:16:57 pm
      Klopp knows more about togger than I ever will. If he wants Oxlade Chamberlain, we should go out and get him.

It's that simple for me.

Boom. Well said. For sure guys can miss on players or perhaps their judgement can be skewed from time to time. However, Klopp has already done wonders for us in the short time here and if anyone deserves our trust it's him. There's a lot to like about Ox anyway. Talented, versatile, strong, fast, etc. If his injuries are behind him he will provide tremendous talent and depth to the club. Lot of football to be played here in the next 5 + years (see what I did there?)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #298: Jul 13, 2017 06:35:51 pm
      Boom. Well said. For sure guys can miss on players or perhaps their judgement can be skewed from time to time. However, Klopp has already done wonders for us in the short time here and if anyone deserves our trust it's him. There's a lot to like about Ox anyway. Talented, versatile, strong, fast, etc. If his injuries are behind him he will provide tremendous talent and depth to the club. Lot of football to be played here in the next 5 + years (see what I did there?)

Talented? Average at best
      Fast? Yes
      Strong? Not as strong as his build suggests
      Versatile? Give you that, does a good job of playing bad in a variety of positions
      Absolute tosser? Yes

Quick Reply