Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 273624 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #161: May 09, 2017 01:19:40 pm
      Spot on buddy.

You can spend £12m on 'young potential', who turns out to be pish or £12m on a player, who ends up top notch [then sold for profit, of course]...

Point being you do not know in advance which will be "value for money": how could you?

Truth is; no one can - no fan, no matter how smartarse and certainly no f**king computer program.

What you are then left with [or at least should be left with] is the man who's job is on the line [Jürgen] deciding, if the player he wants, is worth "it" on footballing grounds. The player will ONLY be bought if the club can afford him.

Get your napper around that mindset and cost quickly becomes irrelevant. It then, as it should, boils down to this... is the player good enough?

Because you see and each to their own like - I don't want a player, who ain't f**king good enough, JUST because he's cheap. 😁

What if the manager is able to identify numerous targets who are good enough?  Should we try to sign the best player from that group, even if the associated cost means we can only afford 1 player?  Would it be better to try to find the best value among those players so that we can afford to buy more and potentially have a greater impact on the quality and depth of the team?  If Jürgen opts for value, will you still blame the owners?    :lmao:
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #162: May 10, 2017 10:47:58 pm
      Spot on buddy.

You can spend £12m on 'young potential', who turns out to be pish or £12m on a player, who ends up top notch [then sold for profit, of course]...

Point being you do not know in advance which will be "value for money": how could you?

Truth is; no one can - no fan, no matter how smartarse and certainly no f**king computer program.

What you are then left with [or at least should be left with] is the man who's job is on the line [Jürgen] deciding, if the player he wants, is worth "it" on footballing grounds. The player will ONLY be bought if the club can afford him.

Get your napper around that mindset and cost quickly becomes irrelevant. It then, as it should, boils down to this... is the player good enough?

Because you see and each to their own like - I don't want a player, who ain't f**king good enough, JUST because he's cheap. 😁

Exactly, as long as the player improves the squad price shouldn't matter at all.

I mean Matip was a free transfer and look how good he's been.

Then you've got Klavan who was what? Like 4 mil or something and he's been gash.

So yeah price is very subjective. I wouldn't give a sh*t if we got 6 free transfers who all had a similar impact to Matip
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #163: May 10, 2017 11:50:48 pm
      I think we need to stop caring about the price tag. If you don't have a car, and someone buys you a car, are you going to tell them they paid too much for it, or just accept it and say thank you and move on?

As long as it doesn't mean we don't reinforce in other areas, who cares what we pay?

Don't think there's a problem with saying in advance of signing a player whether the price seems good value or not. Not because it's "our" money (although it still effectively is in many ways) but because there is a limited budget and any transfer has to be weighed against the overall needs of the squad. These are assumptions built into most opinion-giving on here.

Having said that, I am with you in terms of paying for genuine top quality. It's a mugs game not to pay the extra for top quality and opt for a couple of development players instead. Think of the money we have pissed over the years adopting that strategy and the players we have missed.

It's hard to think of a player who you would say we overpaid for and yet still justified their place in the team, otherwise you probably wouldn't say that we overpaid in the first place.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #164: May 11, 2017 12:07:56 am
      Say now we don't make top 4 then  going send club back in too mid table club and klopp will be gone when end up 6 or 7 next season
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #165: May 11, 2017 11:09:27 am
      Haha you should have seen us splash the cash in the 70's and 80's when we were at the peak of our dominance.

We still didn't spend the most though. We certainly never paid a million for Trevor Francis! Almost a decade later, we spent 900k on John Barnes.

Bargain of the century!!

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #166: May 11, 2017 04:43:16 pm
      Don't think there's a problem with saying in advance of signing a player whether the price seems good value or not. Not because it's "our" money (although it still effectively is in many ways) but because there is a limited budget and any transfer has to be weighed against the overall needs of the squad. These are assumptions built into most opinion-giving on here.

Having said that, I am with you in terms of paying for genuine top quality. It's a mugs game not to pay the extra for top quality and opt for a couple of development players instead. Think of the money we have pissed over the years adopting that strategy and the players we have missed.

It's hard to think of a player who you would say we overpaid for and yet still justified their place in the team, otherwise you probably wouldn't say that we overpaid in the first place.

i agree in paying for genuine top quality

but that's where it ends with this one as he clearly is not in that bracket at present. He is in the same Lovren, Sakho bracket in terms of quality.

i would want who ever we sign we hope they turn out to be better than sliced bread - but reality is that we take big punts with a lot of money that could easily be spent on less of a risk.

We signed Lovren for £20+ mill and Southampton then went and signed Toby Alderweierd on loan (who later moved to spurs for 11million)

there are dozens of other examples of poor decision making and overspending
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #167: May 11, 2017 05:04:10 pm
      Yea but "overspending" is such an arbitrary term. I'm sure  that looking back, had we  paid 75m for Mane, no one would have cared the way that he's played for us. So in that sense, we massively underpaid for him as we also did for Coutinho...so who cares if we "overspend" a little on some players.

Just get Jürgen the players he wants, I don't honestly care what it costs.

No footballer is "worth" that much anyway. Hell, they should be getting paid 2000k per week and liking it to play a sport for a living.

Well said young man.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #168: May 11, 2017 09:41:56 pm
      The most important question is, if we sign him, will we call him Dick?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #169: May 11, 2017 09:46:58 pm

Dick Van Dyke  ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #170: May 11, 2017 10:03:49 pm

Biggus dickus
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #171: May 11, 2017 10:38:51 pm

Got it in one MsG

The size of him, I wouldn't be surprised if its like babys arm holding an apple.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #172: May 11, 2017 10:43:22 pm
      Got it in one MsG

The size of him, I wouldn't be surprised if its like babys arm holding an apple.

Is right Blood  :D
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #173: May 11, 2017 11:40:29 pm
      Got it in one MsG

Still got nothing on Davey Egg-nog's elephant trunk....  He tucks it in his sock!! 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #174: May 11, 2017 11:53:20 pm
      Used to laugh about oleg luzhny at arsenal being nicknamed the horse,  people thought it was the way he ran until lee dixon publically stated it was the old draft excluder
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #175: May 12, 2017 12:07:11 am

Don't forget his wife, Miss Intercontinental Buttocks.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #176: May 12, 2017 12:45:57 am

:lmao:

His wife was Kim K?

(guessing it was auto-correct: incontinentia buttocks) Brilliant movie.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #177: May 12, 2017 03:52:08 am

His wife was Kim K?

:o    ;D ;D ;D

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #178: May 12, 2017 09:51:23 am
      Exactly, as long as the player improves the squad price shouldn't matter at all.

Then you've got Klavan who was what? Like 4 mil or something and he's been gash.

So yeah price is very subjective. I wouldn't give a sh*t if we got 6 free transfers who all had a similar impact to Matip

Gary Mac didn't do too bad  for a free.Mind you he had the right attitude and wanted to succeed.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #179: May 12, 2017 10:00:21 am

Matip was free because he was at the end of his contract or else he'd have cost a pretty penny. I'm not overly surprised by Matip's performances and I think the same goes for most people (just assuming) which kind of tells you he's not a free transfer kind of player in regards to his quality.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #180: May 12, 2017 11:10:03 am
      Still got nothing on Davey Egg-nog's elephant trunk....

Oh dear, just wait until Swab reads this, you'll be told you're a far right, racist, bigoted xenophobe for that comment :D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #181: May 12, 2017 11:34:46 am
      The way I see it is "If" you identify a particular player the "You" the manager wants that improves the club then whether he is age 20/30, he cost £10/£50 million you buy him... Trying to haggle over £5m here and there means you stand the chance of failing to sign the player...Unfortunately the price of a player often(Not always), but often reflex how good that player is viewed as being...
       FLRed is right when he says "I think we need to stop caring about the price tag".
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #182: May 12, 2017 02:23:52 pm
      Got it in one MsG

As the saying goes... 'you wouldn't be hard to shave if you had the full of it in your mouth' 😁
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #183: May 12, 2017 03:14:18 pm

His wife was Kim K?

Haven't seen it since I was a kid so that one is just down to me remembering it wrong - so joke's on me. Whenever I'm in a discussion about proper language in public settings, I always think of the old man dancing and yelling "Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah!"

Quick Reply