Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 270051 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1748: Aug 07, 2017 05:58:33 pm
      Yeah this is the bit I don't get mate.

We gave them fair prices, or overpaid for their players and they've done well on the back of it. We've paid them around the same price it would have cost to buy the damn club, it's a joke to be pissed off with essentially your best customer.

It's because they are delusional enough to think they may one day grow into a relevant club.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #1749: Aug 07, 2017 05:58:45 pm
      why don`t they want to sell to us , they have been making lot of money from us this past years,  they find the players for us we pay them there is nothing complicated.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1750: Aug 07, 2017 05:59:10 pm
      Yeah this is the bit I don't get mate.

We gave them fair prices, or overpaid for their players and they've done well on the back of it. We've paid them around the same price it would have cost to buy the damn club, it's a joke to be pissed off with essentially your best customer.

It's like the complete f#ckin' opposite of us and Barca!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1751: Aug 07, 2017 06:01:46 pm
      It's because they are delusional enough to think they may one day grow into a relevant club.
      they don't want to make enemies of Liverpool. They won't get any players from us on loan again, we could loan players to their mid table rivals instead and push them down the table a bit. Ojo and Ings to West Ham for a season anyone? That'll be 6 points less for Southampton.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #1752: Aug 07, 2017 06:02:23 pm
      I don't see what Southamptons problem is with us..we bid for Lovren,lallana and Clyne and they excepted them,they didn't have to but they did. I'd imagine that the bid for VVD will blow the past bids for their players we've had out of the water.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1546 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1753: Aug 07, 2017 06:03:58 pm
      I don't see what Southamptons problem is with us..we bid for Lovren,lallana and Clyne and they excepted them,they didn't have to but they did. I'd imagine that the bid for VVD will blow the past bids for their players we've had out of the water.

They didn't like the alleged tapping up we did concerning their captain and star player.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1754: Aug 07, 2017 06:04:05 pm
      The thing that worries me is that it's reached a stage where Van Dijk is so pissed off with Southampton that he'll sign for the first Champions League club that makes a bid and the longer we sit on our hands waiting to be invited to bid, the more likely that is to be Chelsea.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1755: Aug 07, 2017 06:05:47 pm
      Yes. But since he put in a transfer request and forfeits any loyalty bonus, I think they can accept a lower offer and reject a higher one. I very well may be wrong but that was my understanding.

Which means if Soton accept a Chavs bid and reject ours, I would assume he would go there as opposed to staying and rotting in the reserves. Only way we might prevail there is if we absolutely blow any Chelski bid out of the water and make it impossible for Saints to refuse.

Absolutely.
      Get it done FSG.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1756: Aug 07, 2017 06:06:20 pm
      The thing that worries me is that it's reached a stage where Van Dijk is so pissed off with Southampton that he'll sign for the first Champions League club that makes a bid and the longer we sit on our hands waiting to be invited to bid, the more likely that is to be Chelsea.

I think, as amazingly was said straight after the apology, that all we need to do is wait for someone else to bid and then our 'end of pursuit' stance can change due to change in circumstance.

Could be wrong, but that's what I thought (and quite a few others including AZ I seem to remember) at the time and appears to be still the likeliest way this plays out.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1757: Aug 07, 2017 06:06:22 pm
      It's like the complete f#ckin' opposite of us and Barca!
      it's not. Suarez went for 65m. Since when is that overpaying?
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #1758: Aug 07, 2017 06:06:33 pm
      They didn't like the alleged tapping up we did concerning their captain and star player.

That's just an excuse I rekon everybody knows that tapping up goes on in every league. They were just waiting for VVD to hand in this transfer request and wait for the bidding war to begin.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1759: Aug 07, 2017 06:07:42 pm
      it's not. Suarez went for 65m. Since when is that overpaying?

Which was ridiculously underpriced.

Shhh
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1760: Aug 07, 2017 06:08:05 pm
      That's just an excuse I rekon everybody knows that tapping up goes on in every league. They were just waiting for VVD to hand in this transfer request and wait for the bidding war to begin.
      Arsenal will surely jump in with a 40,000,001 bid.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1761: Aug 07, 2017 06:08:58 pm
      I was told transfer requests don't mean anything anymore. ??

Only don't in Germany FL.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #1762: Aug 07, 2017 06:10:11 pm

No, because formal requests aren't a thing there.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1763: Aug 07, 2017 06:10:40 pm

Mate,  they sacked Puel after a season in charge. As if they didn't speak to any other managers behind his back before they jibbed him.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #1764: Aug 07, 2017 06:10:42 pm
      The scum,chavs and city will all be in for him plus others... I don't think we've got a hope in he'll of signing him.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,246 posts | 1112 
      Reply #1765: Aug 07, 2017 06:17:55 pm
      I don't think Man City will bid for him. At this point I can't see this NOT happening. We botched this up once, and we will do everything in our power to right this fiasco. VVD wants to play with us and make no mistake about it, he is our number one target (has been all summer). We will outbid anyone
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1766: Aug 07, 2017 06:22:18 pm
      I think, as amazingly was said straight after the apology, that all we need to do is wait for someone else to bid and then our 'end of pursuit' stance can change due to change in circumstance.

Could be wrong, but that's what I thought (and quite a few others including AZ I seem to remember) at the time and appears to be still the likeliest way this plays out.

I understand that, what I'm suggesting is he will want out so much he'd rather sign for Chelsea than wait around for us. It's clear he wants to come to us but does he want to come to us more than he wants to leave Southampton? We need to be proactive because Chelsea sure as hell won't sit around waiting for Saints to say they're willing to listen to offers. Do what we should have done in the first place. Go in with a formal offer, one that can't be interpreted as insulting, and start the ball rolling. Sure they can still decline but that simply pours fuel on the fire. You don't win silverware by sitting around and waiting to be invited to sign someone's top player.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,246 posts | 1112 
      Reply #1767: Aug 07, 2017 06:29:12 pm
      I understand that, what I'm suggesting is he will want out so much he'd rather sign for Chelsea than wait around for us. It's clear he wants to come to us but does he want to come to us more than he wants to leave Southampton? We need to be proactive because Chelsea sure as hell won't sit around waiting for Saints to say they're willing to listen to offers. Do what we should have done in the first place. Go in with a formal offer, one that can't be interpreted as insulting, and start the ball rolling. Sure they can still decline but that simply pours fuel on the fire. You don't win silverware by sitting around and waiting to be invited to sign someone's top player.

AGREED. We need to get the ball moving.Chelsea have been pissing and moaning about there window, so they will come out aggressive. But with us being his top choice and him being Klopps I feel some atonement will be restored to the club and our fans.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1768: Aug 07, 2017 06:29:51 pm
      The scum,chavs and city will all be in for him plus others... I don't think we've got a hope in he'll of signing him.

How old is this picture of you?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #1769: Aug 07, 2017 06:34:18 pm
      Next scenario.... Liverpool sit back and make no offer for Van Dijk as they are keen to respect their previous apology.

Van Dijk goes elsewhere.

:roll:

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1770: Aug 07, 2017 06:37:07 pm
      Next scenario.... Liverpool sit back and make no offer for Van Dijk as they are keen to respect their previous apology.

Van Dijk goes elsewhere.

:roll:
      I guess the whole of Anfield could turn up in these shirts if that happened.

Quick Reply