Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 268596 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1817: Aug 07, 2017 10:16:18 pm
      Just because he has given a transfer request does not mean we can go in for him as far as I know. We have alreadys said that we have no more interest in this player. Other club(s) must bid before we can make an offer as I understand.

I think it is way too too too early to be happy until VVD is leaning against the sign at Melwood with LFC scarf. I am still *not* convinced he is coming here. CFC will go in with £70m and get the deal done in 2 minutes flat.

If VVD wants to come here as stated he can reject joining Chelsea, if Chelsea bid and its accepted we could match or beat their bid as by accepting Chelsea's bid Saints are by default stating he's for sale.

However now VVD has submitted a transfer request i'd turn the screw on Southampton and just go straight in with a bid through the correct channels.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1818: Aug 07, 2017 10:25:49 pm
      I'm comfortable being an outlier here, but I think that 70m for VVD is just too much - it's stupid money and Southampton are being very, very stupid for not accepting this money - it's not like they have a great chance at even a spot in Europe and it's pretty much a lock that 70m will be the most that anyone would ever pay for VVD at any point.

I'm all for splashing the cash, but if we're throwing that kind of money around, we should be able to pull even better players. For comparison, Mustafi who was 2 years younger than VVD currently is, was regarded more highly, was at a better team (Valencia > Southampton), already had more caps for a much better national team than VVD currently has with Netherlands, had went to Arsenal for 35m last summer on a near deadline day deal. He also didn't go full scorched earth to try to force the transfer through.

Of course, VVD would improve our defense and our squad overall so I'd be very happy with that from a fan perspective. I think with Matip, we could have a very strong partnership with them two and it'd give us strength in depth with Lovren more than capable of challenging both of them for the starting spots. But 70m just does not seem pragmatic here to me from a club perspective.

I guess it just seems like the prices that we get quoted at are consistently higher than what we see from other teams for players of equivalent talent. For example, we were looking at Keita and VVD for upwards of 70m a pop meanwhile Munich gets Tolisso and Sule (two very highly rated talents) for a combined 55m.

Seems we may have developed a bit of a reputation here and that's my primary concern because even for diamonds in the rough we get taken for a ride.

The pride is irrelevant if Klopp wants him, and the club is willing to pay, because I'll tell you something, next season he'll cost even more mate!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1819: Aug 07, 2017 10:36:04 pm
      No excuses at all right now for not getting this done....Player has done everything he could do on his side; time for the money men to step up and make it happen.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1820: Aug 07, 2017 10:44:08 pm
      no need to start sh*t for no reason. Gini hating tw*t you are.
      [/quote

No im not a "Gini hating twax" at all I just voiced my opinion that I find it strange that so many want him over  can. I wasnt the one who directly called me out and said "what is your problem "  and called me Dumbass . If you gave it take it or please do   not respond to me again
      i called you dumbass for three reasons. 1) You insulted me first 2) you tried to force your opinion to be more important than everyone else's and 3) you are one,  you shoved your own reply inside a quote. Point proven.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1821: Aug 07, 2017 10:58:52 pm
      Interesting developments anyway, some are suggesting the transfer request will be enough to reignite our interest now its official.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 1111 
      Reply #1822: Aug 07, 2017 11:17:40 pm

i called you dumbass for three reasons. 1) You insulted me first 2) you tried to force your opinion to be more important than everyone else's and 3) you are one,  you shoved your own reply inside a quote. Point proven.

The other day FL said I didn't know football. Was I suppose to get all pissed and call him a dumb ass? Dammit, I didn't get the memo. Hey FL, your a dumbass ;D

VVD put in his transfer request today boys, you should be filled with hope, not anger. The anger will come when we don't put in offer and he goes to Chelsea on Thursday ;)

YNWA fellas
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1823: Aug 07, 2017 11:21:02 pm
      I'm off to work.

I expect a cheesy transfer video announcing him on LFC's twitter by the end of the day.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #1824: Aug 07, 2017 11:21:55 pm
      No excuses at all right now for not getting this done....Player has done everything he could do on his side; time for the money men to step up and make it happen.

Yeah, and it seems convenient timing too with Klopp reiterating the other day that no player is too expensive.  The season is starting.  Just get it done asap.  Then move onto Keita and get that one done 😎
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1825: Aug 07, 2017 11:24:22 pm

You spelt 'total melt down' wrong, it will be tears and tantrums to rival Take That splitting up.

Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #1826: Aug 07, 2017 11:29:42 pm
      "I have been left frustrated by the club's position that I am not for sale and am disappointed that enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed."

To me that reminds me of Raheem Stirling. Supposing we do get this lad, and then Real Madrid or Barcelona come calling, what then?

To me nah, attitude is sh*t. There must be other options surely?
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #1827: Aug 07, 2017 11:48:13 pm
      To me that reminds me of Raheem Stirling. Supposing we do get this lad, and then Real Madrid or Barcelona come calling, what then?

He has reportedly spoken a great deal with Klopp.  Based on the content of those discussions, he wants to come here and play for Jürgen.  Lots of players are tw*ts -- Hazard is a chief example -- but we need to trust Jürgen's judgement that VVD has the quality we need to contend for the Prem title. 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1828: Aug 07, 2017 11:49:50 pm

Yes the attitude is sh*t but welcome to modern football. Do you think if Real or Barca do come calling they'll play nice and do everything above board? They will do everything within their power to sign the player they want, by fair means or foul. Playing nice is very admirable but it's an entirely different game to the rest of football is playing and we simply cannot afford to be different.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1829: Aug 07, 2017 11:54:05 pm

I think if we become the type of club that is content on finishing 4th and challenging for UCL, not trophies, then it doesn't matter much whether a player says the right things (like Coutinho does) or not (like you may say is the case of VVD). Eventually top talented individuals will be lured to the clubs challenging for glory at the very top. There are very few exceptions to the rule, and those are usually home-grown players with a prior attachment to the club, such as Gerrard. Overall, unless we are challenging to be among the top clubs in Europe, then the best players will come and go.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1830: Aug 07, 2017 11:59:37 pm
      I think if we become the type of club that is content on finishing 4th and challenging for UCL, not trophies, then it doesn't matter much whether a player says the right things (like Coutinho does) or not (like you may say is the case of VVD). Eventually top talented individuals will be lured to the clubs challenging for glory at the very top. There are very few exceptions to the rule, and those are usually home-grown players with a prior attachment to the club, such as Gerrard. Overall, unless we are challenging to be among the top clubs in Europe, then the best players will come and go.

Was just about to say the same thing. Top players have ambitions, they want to play for top clubs and to win trophies. Nowadays loyalty often follows success.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1831: Aug 08, 2017 12:27:44 am
      “Unfortunately I feel I have no alternative after I was given notice of the Club’s intention to impose a disciplinary sanction against me of a fine equivalent to 2 weeks wages. I will be appealing what I feel to be an unjustified sanction and their inability to follow the correct disciplinary protocol in due course.

Over the past six months I have held numerous discussions with representatives of the board, the former manager Claude Puel as well as the new manager Mauricio Pellegrino to inform them all of my desire to leave the club in search of a new challenge.

I am incredibly ambitious and want to achieve as much as I possibly can to fulfil my potential in what is a very short career as a professional footballer. I want to play European football again and challenge for major honours and as such I would like Southampton to consider the interest in me from top clubs should it still exist.

I have been left frustrated by the club’s position that I am not for sale and am disappointed that enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed.

The period of time that I have just spent injured and unable to play has put a number of things into perspective and made me realise just how important it is to take major opportunities should they arise.

I have consistently relayed my feelings to senior management at Southampton in what I believed to be private and personal conversations. Disappointingly, these conversations have regularly found their way into the media.

I would also like to make clear that I have never once refused to train. I can confirm that I was asked about my frame of mind and for all of the reasons mentioned above I was open and honest in saying that I did not feel I was in a settled mindset given the circumstances.

Following this conversation the manager explained that he only wanted players who he felt were 100% committed to Southampton and told me I would therefore have to train away from the first team.

As a proud professional I am insulted by the suggestion that it was me who refused to train and so feel it is important to point out the true version of events.

I had very much hoped to retain the good relationship I’ve always enjoyed with everyone at the club, especially the fans, but unfortunately in light of everything that’s happened this has now been seriously affected.

I would like to make clear that I have nothing but gratitude to everyone at Southampton for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League.

However, the time for me to move on is now and I hope to be able to work with the club to find the best resolution to suit all parties.”

Wow, redtiler's boss must be a total pr**k! Good luck to you on your transfer.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 1111 
      Reply #1832: Aug 08, 2017 12:44:18 am

I have thought about this and I definitely don't fault your lack of mistrust giving how this has played out. But maybe South Hampton have pushed him to a point of no return. Perhaps the way things are run and how the manager situation with Paul/Pellegrino has played out has really left him angry. I'm not saying any of these are true, just saying I'm sure he has his reasons.  No one would blame you ONCE for something like his under the right set of circumstances. However, you pulls this crap twice and now you just look like Terrell Owens (American football fans will know what I am talking about). You pull a stunt like this a second time and it becomes clear that its u.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #1833: Aug 08, 2017 01:38:32 am

Blert.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6422 
      Reply #1834: Aug 08, 2017 03:04:42 am
      The other day FL said I didn't know football. Was I suppose to get all pissed and call him a dumb ass? Dammit, I didn't get the memo. Hey FL, your a dumbass ;D

It's "you're" you jackwagon. :D
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #1835: Aug 08, 2017 03:10:31 am

Hate to break it to you, we have been a lesser club for years.

We had H&G, the poisonous duo, and now we have FSG.

We are not a 4th position, indeed, many people saying we are the new Arsenal. We are not.

We are a sleeping giant. We are living on history alone, all the threads we have here, Laugh at Everton, Laugh at Man Utd, we cant really do that, we are, lets be honest here, a F***ing joke.

When this season starts, we have signed one big player, he will get injured, or if he doesnt the usual dross we have will and so that one player will have to play the games with the same sh*t we have had for the last 3 years.

Sturridge may play a game, get injured with an ingrowing toe nail, and be out for another 3 months.

The one thing I have noted without a doubt, its not about success, its about money, we spend none and make plenty, indeed 4th place makes more money than 5th, but this transfer window, with our owners, and the manager we have. Here is one, I can predict your end of season feeling the same as mine. We have made money, but supporting LFC is no longer a chore, its not a job, its just simply.....pointless.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1836: Aug 08, 2017 03:37:22 am
      So this party will end and we are approaching the last dance....I don't expect to see any news of a bid for at least a week and should see the deal done in 10-14 days.

Saturday:

Klopp on Centerbacks: Note he says 4 (Matip/Lovren/Klaven/Gomez)  bye mama.

We have four. I don’t think we need more. In the moment I’m fine. We are open until August 31. We cannot force the things and we would never get a centre back just because (of the sake of it).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/06/Jürgen-kloppthere-arent-five-better-centre-halves-already-have/

Monday

VVD hands in request with this strange sentence (Well not strange but it was telegraphed)

I want to play European football again and challenge for major honours and as such I would like Southampton to consider interest in me from top clubs should it still exist.
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/07/virgil-van-dijk-transfer-request-southampton-liverpool-manchester-city-chelsea

hmm I wonder who he was talking about? ???

We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk.

We respect Southampton’s position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/transfer_talk/257262/we-have-ended-any-interest-in-the-player-liverpool-publicly-apologise-to-southampton-for-misunderstanding-re-virgil-van-dijk.html

Now on top of all of that..he not only handed in his request and burned his bridge but he also kicked, blew up and ran over that bridge with

I feel I have no alternative after I was given notice of the club’s intention to impose a disciplinary sanction against me of a fine equivalent to two weeks’ wages. I will be appealing what I feel to be an unjustified sanction and their inability to follow the correct disciplinary protocol in due course.

“However, the time for me to move on is now and I hope to be able to work with the club to find the best resolution to suit all parties.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/07/virgil-van-dijk-transfer-request-southampton-liverpool-manchester-city-chelsea

This says to me that Virgil is getting ready to report Soton to the league for HR violation as he never refused to train and on top of that there were confidential worker/employer conversations that Soton did not keep private but used to defame his character. All of these issues of course can go away if 3 parties can be satisfied (Virgil being one of those parties) or of course the alternative is for him to air out all of Southampton's dirty laundry in public.

Well the band is warming up but I expect to see accusations flying from both side over the next 4-5 days with LFC keeping things on the low down...the deal itself will all come quite quickly as the details will be hammered out by intermediaries.

LFC has to play it cool and let it all go into meltdown on Soton side, but I personally have little doubt where the player wants to go and what the end result will be.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017 05:35:12 am by AZPatriot »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1837: Aug 08, 2017 06:47:37 am
      LFC has to play it cool and let it all go into meltdown on Soton side, but I personally have little doubt where the player wants to go and what the end result will be.

Decent post mate.

Not sure how cool we should play it now though. Think we've been doing that haven't we?

Throw a big, official bid in right now is what I think we should do.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1838: Aug 08, 2017 07:02:01 am
      Right, get this done, no F***ing about.

Pronto, yesterday, get on with it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1839: Aug 08, 2017 07:04:33 am
      Right, get this done, no f**king about.

Pronto, yesterday, get on with it.

Yeah. While the iron is hot and all that.

Quick Reply