Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 31st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 268915 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #184: May 16, 2017 08:29:17 pm
      First Costa and now VVD, are they hinting at something? :D

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #185: May 16, 2017 09:09:19 pm

I've read Chelsea think they have him wrapped up.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #186: May 16, 2017 10:35:22 pm
      I've read Chelsea think they have him wrapped up.

I hope Chelsea are not depending on Royal Mail to deliver him,chances are the package will get lost and he will be delivered to the wrong address.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #187: May 17, 2017 12:44:06 am
      The way I see it is "If" you identify a particular player the "You" the manager wants that improves the club then whether he is age 20/30, he cost £10/£50 million you buy him... Trying to haggle over £5m here and there means you stand the chance of failing to sign the player...Unfortunately the price of a player often(Not always), but often reflex how good that player is viewed as being...
       FLRed is right when he says "I think we need to stop caring about the price tag".

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #188: May 17, 2017 03:42:20 pm
      Are two players at 30 million better than one at 60? Marketplace is crazy these days.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #189: May 17, 2017 05:49:42 pm
      Are two players at 30 million better than one at 60? Marketplace is crazy these days.

Given how sh*t our defence has been the last four or five years, I think £60 million for anyone who could fix it is a snippet.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #190: May 17, 2017 07:35:28 pm
      Are two players at 30 million better than one at 60?

I dunno but I'd wager they'd contribute more than 30 at £2m.  :laugh:

You're right about the market being crazy but everything (including what fans expect) changes, I suppose.

Only 5 seasons ago many on here were openly angry with [£7m] Charlie Adam because he wasn't a superstar and openly turned on the King because he spent "wasted" £38m (net) without winning CL qualification. Now we are actually debating the merits of buying Oxlade-Chamberlain for £35m.

Mental; right? ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #191: May 17, 2017 11:33:42 pm

Unfortunately I think it's probably just because he's mates with Gini.
      He'll be off to the Chavs.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #192: May 22, 2017 07:27:26 pm
      Unfortunately I think it's probably just because he's mates with Gini.
      He'll be off to the Chavs.

I just hope the next name on our list is of equal quality. I don't want to see us going from Virigl Van Dijk to Dick Van Dijk for our main defensive target, like we have in the past.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #193: May 25, 2017 08:14:05 pm
      Sky sports news "reporting" that Utd have now identified VVD as one of three potential replacements. Does anyone else feel this is sliding out of our control??
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #194: May 25, 2017 08:30:45 pm
      Sky sports news "reporting" that Utd have now identified VVD as one of three potential replacements. Does anyone else feel this is sliding out of our control??

I never felt this was a realistic transfer. I rather we got someone who is unknown, and turns out to be awesome. Like a Hyypia.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #195: May 25, 2017 08:40:27 pm

They are after Dug Costa too apparently.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,346 posts | 4967 
      Reply #196: May 25, 2017 08:48:08 pm

Never thought we'd get him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #197: May 25, 2017 10:37:51 pm

Anyone that would even consider them over us, can kick rocks for all I care.

If someone can talk to Mourinho and then Klopp and choose that hypocrite, well you aren't LFC caliber anyway.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #198: May 25, 2017 10:40:46 pm
      As soon as it was listed chavs were interested, thought wed get out bid on fee and wages to be honest. Not gonna happen for us.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #199: May 25, 2017 11:32:36 pm
      Got to agree with most of the people above - with United, Chelsea and maybe City sniffing around, we don't really have a chance with this one.

Hopefully our second choice is someone decent!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #200: May 26, 2017 07:43:32 am
      Got to agree with most of the people above - with United, Chelsea and maybe City sniffing around, we don't really have a chance with this one.

Hopefully our second choice is someone decent!

And there was me thinking it was nearly done!

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #201: May 26, 2017 08:49:13 am

It's no surprise. The type of player we need is always going to result in our being in competition with others, but just because someone else has entered the conversation doesn't mean they're going to be chosen. Personally I think Chelsea are nailed on to get him.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #202: May 26, 2017 09:07:55 am
      Anybody who believed we were likely to get this lad once everyone else became interested needs their bumps feeling. The ONLY way such things will happen is if the Jürgen factor kicks in massively, something we haven't seen massive amounts of so far. I personally think just about every footballer in the World goes to whoever pays them the most money. When we go in for players and we offer them more than anyone else (say if our rivals are Burnley and the like), they'll sign for us. If we're in for players who the likes of the Manc clubs and Chelsea are in for, they won't.

Simple as that really, and under our pay structure/owners it would be folly IMHO to waste time trying to get players which we ain't gonna get.   
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #203: May 26, 2017 12:12:23 pm
      Anybody who believed we were likely to get this lad once everyone else became interested needs their bumps feeling. The ONLY way such things will happen is if the Jürgen factor kicks in massively, something we haven't seen massive amounts of so far. I personally think just about every footballer in the World goes to whoever pays them the most money. When we go in for players and we offer them more than anyone else (say if our rivals are Burnley and the like), they'll sign for us. If we're in for players who the likes of the Manc clubs and Chelsea are in for, they won't.

Simple as that really, and under our pay structure/owners it would be folly IMHO to waste time trying to get players which we ain't gonna get.

Funny really when you think about it. Everyone cries on about how we don't go after the better players, players that can make a real difference, so essentially the big money signings. Yet, when we are then heavily linked with such players, it's inevitable other teams will be too because that is what you'd expect of what you could call, a top market player. But because other teams are interested in the player(s) it's suddenly a waste of time and we shouldn't bother. But I would put money on the people who then say this, then moaning that we didn't go for such and such player and ended up signing a mediocre player instead.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #204: May 26, 2017 12:43:07 pm
      Funny really when you think about it. Everyone cries on about how we don't go after the better players, players that can make a real difference, so essentially the big money signings. Yet, when we are then heavily linked with such players, it's inevitable other teams will be too because that is what you'd expect of what you could call, a top market player. But because other teams are interested in the player(s) it's suddenly a waste of time and we shouldn't bother. But I would put money on the people who then say this, then moaning that we didn't go for such and such player and ended up signing a mediocre player instead.

What's funnier is the fact that you completely miss the point. Either we (or the owners more specifically) properly compete in terms of finances, or we accept that CERTAIN players aren't gettable. It's simple really, there's no point in wasting time on ungettable targets.

Some fans would get all fired up if we enquired about Lionel Messi, but some of us woild prefer to keep ut real. Van Djyk for us is unrealistic at the moment, hardly controversial.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,346 posts | 4967 
      Reply #205: May 26, 2017 01:29:31 pm
      What's funnier is the fact that you completely miss the point. Either we (or the owners more specifically) properly compete in terms of finances, or we accept that CERTAIN players aren't gettable. It's simple really, there's no point in wasting time on ungettable targets.

Some fans would get all fired up if we enquired about Lionel Messi, but some of us woild prefer to keep ut real. Van Djyk for us is unrealistic at the moment, hardly controversial.

Yep.

Van Djik is realistic but as you say becomes unrealistic as we simply won't match the wages he'll get offered by City, Chelsea etc.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #206: May 26, 2017 01:34:06 pm
      I never felt this was a realistic transfer. I rather we got someone who is unknown, and turns out to be awesome. Like a Hyypia.

You and FSG both!

Quick Reply