Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 265415 times
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2139: Aug 15, 2017 03:53:27 pm
      Oh christ almighty, so Klopp is literally blameless for everything then, its the clubs fault that he tapped up a player, I've heard it all now, its akin to a criminal being blameless because its societies fault for failing him init!!

you guys must be on a wind up, you cannot all be this f**king stupid!!
      If you can't comprehend that a manager shouldn't be in a position where he has to tap up players you are beyond help.

Go back 10-15 years our manager would tell Moores he wanted a player and then Moores would do the rest.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2140: Aug 15, 2017 04:28:11 pm
      Why would they bid for a player they were pretty sure wasn't going to be released by a club? To make it look like they're interested in spending big bucks. Leipzig wouldn't need to go along with anything.

What happens if Leipzig say yes to the offer?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #2141: Aug 15, 2017 04:29:42 pm
      What happens if Leipzig say yes to the offer?

So what if Liepzig did the exact opposite of what they claimed they would do, over and over and over again? Now who is wearing the tinfoil hat? :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2142: Aug 15, 2017 04:31:42 pm
      If you can't comprehend that a manager shouldn't be in a position where he has to tap up players you are beyond help.

Go back 10-15 years our manager would tell Moores he wanted a player and then Moores would do the rest.

Huh?? Why did Klopp HAVE no other choice but to tap up VVD? Do you have any evidence to back up your fantasies?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2143: Aug 15, 2017 04:35:06 pm
      So what if Liepzig did the exact opposite of what they claimed they would do, over and over and over again? Now who is wearing the tinfoil hat? :D

no i mean before the first bid, how could FSG be certain it would be rejected, how could they be 100% certain that £70 million would be rejected by RedBull, not rangnarok, but the club itself? Its a F***ing lot of money after all so not beyond the realms of rationale thought that someone in the club would turn around and say "You know what, the player wants to leave, its a massive profit for us, lets sell Ja"?
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2144: Aug 15, 2017 04:36:23 pm
      Huh?? Why did Klopp HAVE no other choice but to tap up VVD? Do you have any evidence to back up your fantasies?
      So you agree someone else should of been doing the tapping up?

trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #2145: Aug 15, 2017 04:49:29 pm
      Starting to think this is the season for a Gomez, a Grujic, a Woodburn, and Solanke, to truly break through. TAA seems to be doing so already.

I know it doesn't make us comfortable to ask such young players to fill the void. I'm not saying all of these will, and I DO think we are working on something for a midfielder, but just getting older but not playing many first team games isn't going to make players like those named above somehow be ready. So perhaps the circumstances will be ripe for one or two of them at least to get extended opportunity.

We may have to rely on these youngsters the way it's going. I think Kent will be good cover. I don't think Woodburn looks that great on the wing and maybe Klopp can play him more in the 8 or 10 position. Gomez looks better as a full back than a CB so the one I think we should give more opertunities to would be Grujic.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2146: Aug 15, 2017 05:17:00 pm
      All one needs to do is look at the poll that was added soon after this thread started to understand what people think...useless discussion both directions as neither side will ever agree.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2147: Aug 15, 2017 05:21:12 pm

You don't think every club talk to signings?

You do realise that VVD has spoken to other clubs as well this summer? It's known he has spoken to Arsenal and Chelsea but decided on us until Southampton spat their dummy as it was us after one of their players again? The only reason we sh*t ourselves was due to the youth recruitment ban

You do recall the Sanchez signing at Arsenal when Wenger met with him numerous times while he was still a Barca player?

JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #2148: Aug 15, 2017 05:25:32 pm
      No, including us, that should tell you something. FSG were all too happy to issue that apology. They couldn't get it out quick enough. It may has well have read "Thank God we didn't not have to end up actually bidding and embarrassing ourselves when we get outbid by our rivals again"
      When did FSG offer an apology?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2149: Aug 15, 2017 05:50:59 pm
      When did FSG offer an apology?

“Liverpool Football Club would like to put on record our regret over recent media speculation regarding Southampton Football Club and player transfers between the two clubs,” said the statement. “We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk. We respect Southampton’s position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/liverpool-end-virgil-van-dijk-interest-andapologise-southampton/
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #2150: Aug 15, 2017 05:56:41 pm
      “Liverpool Football Club would like to put on record our regret over recent media speculation regarding Southampton Football Club and player transfers between the two clubs,” said the statement. “We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk. We respect Southampton’s position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/liverpool-end-virgil-van-dijk-interest-andapologise-southampton/
      Oh I know.  I've read that.  Was just wondering when FSG issued an apology.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2151: Aug 15, 2017 05:59:56 pm
      You don't think every club talk to signings?

You do realise that VVD has spoken to other clubs as well this summer? It's known he has spoken to Arsenal and Chelsea but decided on us until Southampton spat their dummy as it was us after one of their players again? The only reason we sh*t ourselves was due to the youth recruitment ban

You do recall the Sanchez signing at Arsenal when Wenger met with him numerous times while he was still a Barca player?

And I would bet any money before Wenger and Sanchez "accidentally bumped into one another" Sanchez new Arsenal were interested.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,466 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2152: Aug 15, 2017 06:09:28 pm
      I feel truly sorry for people if they think our interest in keita and vvd was just a cosmetic exercise to make fsg look good, absolutely pathetic. By all means question the competence of getting deals over the line but stop it with this hysterical bullshit.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2153: Aug 15, 2017 06:24:40 pm
      [

I feel truly sorry for people if they think our interest in keita and vvd was just a cosmetic exercise to make fsg look good, absolutely pathetic. By all means question the competence of getting deals over the line but stop it with this hysterical bullshit.

Personally I believe we wanted both players.

Can you really blame people for being sceptical when year after year we are mentioned with players, we have the money, we want the player but for some reason they seem to end up somewhere else
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,466 posts | 3429 
      Reply #2154: Aug 15, 2017 06:28:51 pm
      [

Personally I believe we wanted both players.

Can you really blame people for being sceptical when year after year we are mentioned with players, we have the money, we want the player but for some reason they seem to end up somewhere else

There is a difference between going for a player and not signing him for a certain reason compared to some nonsense about making bids that ypu know are pointless
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2155: Aug 15, 2017 06:33:14 pm
      Oh I know.  I've read that.  Was just wondering when FSG issued an apology.

Well...if the club came out with something like this..which is basically admitting guilt and quite embarrassing to be honest...FSG  approved it.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2156: Aug 15, 2017 06:39:20 pm
      There is a difference between going for a player and not signing him for a certain reason compared to some nonsense about making bids that ypu know are pointless

But isn't it fair to question someones motives when they do the same thing time after time with the same result?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #2157: Aug 15, 2017 07:09:23 pm
      no i mean before the first bid, how could FSG be certain it would be rejected, how could they be 100% certain that £70 million would be rejected by RedBull, not rangnarok, but the club itself? Its a f**king lot of money after all so not beyond the realms of rationale thought that someone in the club would turn around and say "You know what, the player wants to leave, its a massive profit for us, lets sell Ja"?

Probably more like....

Liv: Hi this is Liverpool we've got 50 mil here for Kieta.

RB: Haha you cheeky bas**rds, add another 50 mil to that and we might start negotiations.

Now we already know what it'll take to start the negotiations we can safely go back in with another bid knowing quite well that it will be fu**ed off.

As for whoever said about a manager never being in a position where he can be accused of tapping up. It's spot on.

Klopp should identify targets and then the next he should hear is a phone call or something saying..  Jürgen we've just bid for/ asked Southampton if we can have VVD.

We've been given permission to talk to him.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,466 posts | 3429 
      Reply #2158: Aug 15, 2017 07:21:02 pm
      But isn't it fair to question someones motives when they do the same thing time after time with the same result?

Again, wouldn't question the motived just the capability , there are also situations such as with alexis sanchez where it is hard to see what else could have been done, more waged i suppose but as Jürgen said as he has many bosses including the wife.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2159: Aug 15, 2017 07:28:45 pm

Barca wanted him gone as they were bringing in Suarez. With Messi, Suarez, Neymar and even Pedro there, there was no room for Sanchez. So I doubt Barca cared less about clubs talking to Sanchez, they probably even encouraged it.

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2160: Aug 15, 2017 07:36:43 pm
      Again, wouldn't question the motived just the capability , there are also situations such as with alexis sanchez where it is hard to see what else could have been done, more waged i suppose but as Jürgen said as he has many bosses including the wife.
      I wonder about the capability of those charged with getting transfer done.

But Sanchez is a good one example to question the motivation of the club as we were all told he only wanted to go to London. Yet now it seems as if he would happily swap London for Manchester.

How hard did we really try to get him to come here?
      Kopite78
      Reply #2161: Aug 15, 2017 07:37:02 pm
      Barca wanted him gone as they were bringing in Suarez. With Messi, Suarez, Neymar and even Pedro there, there was no room for Sanchez. So I doubt Barca cared less about clubs talking to Sanchez, they probably even encouraged it.

Point being it happens all the time

Quick Reply