Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 266532 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,221 posts | 1108 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2576: Aug 30, 2017 10:43:09 pm
      VVD isn't going to come in and stop goals. Klopp isn't that kind of coach nor does he run a defensive system. Under Klopp defense lacks, it's part of the package. But if VVD is good for 5-7 less goals a year that could be the difference in 10-15 points realistically. I think his overall pitch leadership and high point attacking set piece crosses is priceless. If I told you a defender is worth 15 points in the league you would sign him in a heart beat. Especially if you are a team like us. We need to do everything in our power to try and do that in the next 24 hours.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,210 posts | 1645 
      Reply #2577: Aug 30, 2017 10:50:53 pm
      This is what we need more than any other.

But if he comes in I hope to f**k we don't see him as our saviour and ignore looking at the structures in place that lead to us being so sh*t defensively.

We could have a backline of Cafu, Franco Baresi, Fabio Cannavaro and Paulo Maldini at the back and we would still ship 3 goals every other week, so I'm cautious if VVD being seen as a panacea for all our defensive issues.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2017 06:05:34 am by RedWilly »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,221 posts | 1108 
      Reply #2578: Aug 30, 2017 11:01:05 pm
      This is what we need more than any other.

But if he comes in I hope to f**k we don't see him as our saviour and ignore looking at the structures in place that lead to us being so sh*t defensively.

We could have a backline of Cafu, Franco Baresi, Fabio Cannavari and Paulo Maldini at the back and we would still ship 3 goals every other week, so I'm cautious if VVD being seen as a panacea for all our defensive issues.

HAHA, though there is some exaggeration thrown in here you are spot on. There are limits to our defense no matter who we bring in until we revamp the way we do things. With that said he is good enough to save you 3-7 goals on his own. The goals and points he would save are VALUABLE. 
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2579: Aug 30, 2017 11:04:19 pm
      I really can't see this one happening and the rumours are extending more by hope and desperation than anything concrete. I figure it would take a ridiculous bid in the 70-75 million range first thing tomorrow to have any chance of making it happen. Just can't see it myself.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,417 posts | 6418 
      Reply #2580: Aug 31, 2017 01:14:36 am
      Rumors on twitter say this ones been done for a couple days but will be announced "quietly" at 6pm tomorrow.

I'd say that's probably the only way this deal will be done. At this point if we haven't bid yet I don't see us getting a deal done. Especially considering we are supposedly still chasing this Lemar deal.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2581: Aug 31, 2017 01:32:52 am
      Rumors on twitter say this ones been done for a couple days but will be announced "quietly" at 6pm tomorrow.

I'd say that's probably the only way this deal will be done. At this point if we haven't bid yet I don't see us getting a deal done. Especially considering we are supposedly still chasing this Lemar deal.

Read this quite a bit the past month

Despite the controversy in June when Liverpool apologised for a ā€œmisunderstandingā€ amid allegations of an illegal approach for the player, relations between the Anfield and Southampton hierarchy are cordial. Liverpool will not make any unsolicited bids for the player.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/29/liverpool-hope-spend-140million-final-days-transfer-window/

Basically if this happens it is happening on they're terms without a "formal process".
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,542 posts | 1538 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2582: Aug 31, 2017 09:00:55 am
      Tick tock people!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,724 posts | 3941 
      Reply #2583: Aug 31, 2017 09:03:40 am
      I just can't see it happening
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2584: Aug 31, 2017 09:07:32 am

Out of interest what are you basing that on?
      Kopite78
      Reply #2585: Aug 31, 2017 09:13:59 am
      Out of interest what are you basing that on?

I imagine the fact that F**k all seems to be happening with it  :D
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #2586: Aug 31, 2017 09:16:51 am
      I imagine the fact that f**k all seems to be happening with it  :D
      ;D - I was going to reply to that effect on your behalf, but thought I'd give you the opportunity!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2587: Aug 31, 2017 09:19:48 am
      I imagine the fact that f**k all seems to be happening with it  :D

How do you know nothing is happening, for example did you know anything about Keita before that was announced or how about Ox before he suddenly switched over to us from the chavs?
      My point is that all we base anything on is twitter rumours and they are more disinformation and bullshit than fact.

Logically we get VVD, it just makes sense, Southampton have a very valuable asset who doesn't want to play for them and a very interested buyer, us. Plus the club, Southampton, are a bit cash strapped at the moment with new owners, ie clean slate no problem with selling. Add to that the fact that no other club is bidding for a clearly unsettled player, which is really weird, and there really is only one conclusion you can reach, he will be OURS by the end of the day.
      Lemar I'm less sure about but fingers crossed, oh and I do NOT expect Coutinho to be sold, but perhaps Barca will do the same as we did with Keita so they get him next summer.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #2588: Aug 31, 2017 09:23:56 am

Believe.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2589: Aug 31, 2017 09:29:43 am
      How do you know nothing is happening, for example did you know anything about Keita before that was announced or how about Ox before he suddenly switched over to us from the chavs?
      My point is that all we base anything on is twitter rumours and they are more disinformation and bullshit than fact.

Mate, the Kieta stuff broke locally the night before, not saying we knew 100% but rumours were around that he'd been seen at the airport by baggage handlers and passport control.
      Now they could have been bollocks but they weren't
      Chamberlain was gathering pace for a couple of days

VVD?  There is literally nothing. Nothing locally, nothing gathering pace. He was training in Southampton yesterday.  Now in my opinion there's no way Southampton le5 us do a medical down there so he'd have to be on the move somewhere..  But no rumours at all.

We can all love live in hope but there seems no movement and the window shuts today..  so there's no time for a Chamberlain style build.. and no Kieta style sightings

So yeah there currently seems like nothing is happening
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2590: Aug 31, 2017 09:52:41 am
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2591: Aug 31, 2017 09:57:45 am
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #2592: Aug 31, 2017 10:01:30 am
      If we don't get him today and if we can get him in January, I would still be OK-ish. He is definitely a player worth all the wait.

But, questions must be asked about the way we went about getting our primary target.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #2593: Aug 31, 2017 10:07:04 am
      Anyone with "prepared to wait" on their FSG excuses bingo card is off to a strong start!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2594: Aug 31, 2017 10:08:06 am
      If we don't get him today and if we can get him in January, I would still be OK-ish. He is definitely a player worth all the wait.

But, questions must be asked about the way we went about getting our primary target.

No if we don't get him then questions must be asked about the sanity of the Southampton board by the owners. They are NOT a big club and never will be, they cannot afford the luxury of keeping a Ā£70 million asset rotting on the benches, it is F***ing absurd if they don't sell and there will be big consequences for them I think.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #2595: Aug 31, 2017 10:15:32 am
      No if we don't get him then questions must be asked about the sanity of the Southampton board by the owners. They are NOT a big club and never will be, they cannot afford the luxury of keeping a Ā£70 million asset rotting on the benches, it is f**king absurd if they don't sell and there will be big consequences for them I think.

It is the world cup year. So, the selling club is at an advantage this year. And, they have a right to hold on to the players contracted to them (not sure what went behind the scenes as far as the discussions between van dyk and the club is concerned).

It is also absurd that we haven't still addressed our primary area of concern going into the new season. In any case, let us see how it goes today.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,331 posts | 2860 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2596: Aug 31, 2017 10:18:20 am
      Anyone with "prepared to wait" on their FSG excuses bingo card is off to a strong start!!

Id wait gladly once we get someone else in for that position. It would kill me to watch our failure to deal with ball put into our box derail our outstanding attacking play.

Id take Jonny Evans at this point
      Don77

• 6,634 posts | 1121 
      Reply #2597: Aug 31, 2017 10:21:16 am
      Id wait gladly once we get someone else in for that position. It would kill me to watch our failure to deal with ball put into our box derail our outstanding attacking play.

Id take Jonny Evans at this point

Its almost like city chelsea etc will not bid for virgil as they know that will give us the freedom to bid and they also know he only wants to join us.

Looks like city have decided maybe Evans is next on the list??
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,331 posts | 2860 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2598: Aug 31, 2017 10:25:14 am
      Its almost like city chelsea etc will not bid for virgil as they know that will give us the freedom to bid and they also know he only wants to join us.

Looks like city have decided maybe Evans is next on the list??

Excellent point that Don. Its been stated openly he wants to come to us. Anyone else bidding opens the door for us.

Just feel we need something at the heart of the defence. Nothing fancy just hard and honest

Quick Reply