Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 260947 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1311: Jul 11, 2017 08:49:12 pm
      Bet he has a damn good loyalty bonus with that nice 6 year contract he signed. Don't expect a transfer request, I'm not.

Could be but he'd get a loyalty bonus here too if he wanted to move on and if he stayed here for 5 years the weekly salary is probably double what Soton would pay him so it would probably work out just fine for ole Virgil.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1312: Jul 11, 2017 09:10:19 pm
      Wouldn't be the first time, they were adamant Lallana wasn't going anywhere too.

Yep and he was also their captain. Not that I think it will happen because like you,  I don't think VVD is going to hand in any kind of official transfer request, or put up a fight.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1313: Jul 11, 2017 09:46:30 pm
      Yep and he was also their captain. Not that I think it will happen because like you,  I don't think VVD is going to hand in any kind of official transfer request, or put up a fight.

I am very clear that Virgil will look after Virgil in all of this - zero implied criticism just a very strong view based on my understanding of his time at Parkhead.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1314: Jul 11, 2017 10:08:34 pm
      Could be but he'd get a loyalty bonus here too if he wanted to move on and if he stayed here for 5 years the weekly salary is probably double what Soton would pay him so it would probably work out just fine for ole Virgil.

All true apart from the end part. If he hands in a transfer request it changes nothing, Saints are still in full control thanks to the mess VVD has gotten himself in by signing such a long contract. He would get more money etc with us, but he will also be aware that regardless of any request, there is still no guarantee he will be sold so all he has done then is lose that nice loyalty bonus he does have at the moment.
      His agent should have advised him better, he'd have known there would be interest in him, he should have said to VVD to hold out on signing a new contract and see what happens in the summer but he didn't, and I bet he got a damn good pay cheque from the club to make sure he got VVD that contract.

If we sign him, it won't be because VVD put in a transfer request or kicked up a fuss, it will be due to Saints having a change of heart thanks to us humiliating ourselves and kissing some serious ass along the way, starting with that shambles of an unnecessary apology.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1315: Jul 12, 2017 07:13:38 pm
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #1316: Jul 12, 2017 08:04:03 pm
      Wouldn't be surprised to see this go either way really. It's a massive U turn for us after the apology, but we don't seem to be strongly linked with any other centre halves. Also, if Van Dijk is still angling for the Liverpool move, as has been suggested, perhaps he knows something we don't.

Put it this way. If I was an English centre half wanting a move away from the 8th (ish) best team in the Netherlands and a couple of the top sides there had shown an interest, I wouldn't be saying that the only club I was interested in signing for was the one who'd made a public apology and promised to end their interest in me unless I knew they were still after my services.

Because surely that puts other potential suitors off?

Either way, we need something sorted soon. Whether it's big Virgil or someone else.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1317: Jul 12, 2017 11:35:11 pm
      The boss seemed very relaxed when asked about VVD and transfers in this window which is sort of reassuring, think things are being done behind the scenes after the VVD fiasco.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1318: Jul 12, 2017 11:36:35 pm
      The boss seemed very relaxed when asked about VVD and transfers in this window which is sort of reassuring, think things are being done behind the scenes after the VVD fiasco.

Yeah he is not coming off as being stressed out over any of it does he?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1319: Jul 12, 2017 11:38:24 pm
      Yeah he is not coming off as being stressed out over any of it does he?

In fairness, even if he was stressed, I doubt we would know at this point. He's pretty good at holding his cards close to his chest.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1320: Jul 13, 2017 12:37:28 am
      Klopp when asked about Virgil Van Dijk: "It would be very wrong for me to talk about this."

Is it odd that he didn't parrot the club apology stance on this or am I just being too hopeful?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1321: Jul 13, 2017 12:44:55 am
      Also this just to stir the pot......

Daniel Vanderkamp‏ @DanVanderkamp 3h3 hours ago
      I don't know if he's handed in a request, just that the clubs are back negotiating. I don't think he will have to hand in a request either

Daniel Vanderkamp‏ @DanVanderkamp 4h4 hours ago
      Got told things are moving along now with LFC and Southampton.

This dude is a South African lawyer  who "supposedly" also had some info during the Benteke transfer. Major grain of salt warning.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1322: Jul 13, 2017 02:00:48 am
      Also from Klopp about VVD:

"You wrote everything about it a few weeks ago, I think. I was in Iceland when somebody told me this. That's all I have to say about it."

The bold part is interesting to me.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1323: Jul 13, 2017 10:58:43 am
      Also from Klopp about VVD:

"You wrote everything about it a few weeks ago, I think. I was in Iceland when somebody told me this. That's all I have to say about it."

The bold part is interesting to me.

What, the fact that he was in Iceland?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1324: Jul 13, 2017 11:20:10 am
      What, the fact that he was in Iceland?

Aye... cause he's more of Waitrose type of guy; Marks & Sparks at a push. 😊
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1325: Jul 13, 2017 11:47:04 am

I suggest you get your coat Sir ;-)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1326: Jul 13, 2017 11:53:43 am
      I suggest you get your coat Sir ;-)

Too late... I'm in the taxi and half way home. 😄
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1327: Jul 13, 2017 03:32:07 pm

Superb banter
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1328: Jul 13, 2017 11:18:16 pm
      Former football lawyer claims Liverpool and Southampton have opened negotiations over deal for Virgil van Dijk
      The Reds almost signed the Dutchman earlier this summer but were forced to abort their attempt after Saints complained about 'tapping up'

A former football lawyer claimed Liverpool and Southampton have opened negotiations over a deal for Virgil van Dijk... before deactivating his Twitter account.

The Reds almost signed the Dutchman earlier this summer but were forced to abort their attempt after Saints complained about 'tapping up', report the Liverpool Echo.

Liverpool were forced to offer a hasty apology to Southampton following the complaint before the Premier League ruled they would be taking the matter no further

France-based lawyer Daniel Vanderkamp worked alongside Liverpool during the deal to sign Christian Benteke from Aston Villa in the summer of 2015, and the South African has now claimed the Reds have held dialogue with Southampton over the transfer of their classy Dutch international.

Vanderkamp tweeted: "Got told things are moving along now with LFC and Southampton.

"I don't know if he's handed in a request, just that the clubs are back negotiating.

The tweets come after ex-Reds midfielder Danny Murphy claimed a deal between the two clubs was "close".

Murphy said: “I think the van Dijk thing is close. That would be a phenomenal signing."

Jürgen Klopp was asked about the transfer after his side opened up their pre-season schedule with a 4-0 win over Tranmere at Prenton Park on Wednesday.

Klopp said: "Am I allowed to talk about this? I am not!

"Pretty much everything I could say would be a mistake. You or your colleagues wrote everything about this a few weeks ago.

“I was in Iceland by the way when somebody told me this was in the newspaper.

“Nothing happened since then, all good so far, so I can't say anything about this."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-southampton-van-dijk-transfer-10794068

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1329: Jul 13, 2017 11:21:01 pm
      Former football lawyer claims Liverpool and Southampton have opened negotiations over deal for Virgil van Dijk
      The Reds almost signed the Dutchman earlier this summer but were forced to abort their attempt after Saints complained about 'tapping up'

A former football lawyer claimed Liverpool and Southampton have opened negotiations over a deal for Virgil van Dijk... before deactivating his Twitter account.

The Reds almost signed the Dutchman earlier this summer but were forced to abort their attempt after Saints complained about 'tapping up', report the Liverpool Echo.

Liverpool were forced to offer a hasty apology to Southampton following the complaint before the Premier League ruled they would be taking the matter no further

France-based lawyer Daniel Vanderkamp worked alongside Liverpool during the deal to sign Christian Benteke from Aston Villa in the summer of 2015, and the South African has now claimed the Reds have held dialogue with Southampton over the transfer of their classy Dutch international.

Vanderkamp tweeted: "Got told things are moving along now with LFC and Southampton.

"I don't know if he's handed in a request, just that the clubs are back negotiating.

The tweets come after ex-Reds midfielder Danny Murphy claimed a deal between the two clubs was "close".

Murphy said: “I think the van Dijk thing is close. That would be a phenomenal signing."

Jürgen Klopp was asked about the transfer after his side opened up their pre-season schedule with a 4-0 win over Tranmere at Prenton Park on Wednesday.

"Pretty much everything I could say would be a mistake. You or your colleagues wrote everything about this a few weeks ago.

“Nothing happened since then, all good so far, so I can't say anything about this."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-southampton-van-dijk-transfer-10794068

https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,49608.msg2058191.html#msg2058191

🤓
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1330: Jul 13, 2017 11:21:58 pm

Not quite sure what that all means FL..please do tell?

Oh I see you posted something earlier...sorry about that..did not see it as such.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1331: Jul 13, 2017 11:23:45 pm

F**k...Now await another public apology.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1332: Jul 13, 2017 11:30:03 pm
      Not quite sure what that all means FL..please do tell?

Oh I see you posted something earlier...sorry about that..did not see it as such.

Just messing with you. Didn't see that he deleted his twitter account though...that's certainly an odd thing to do?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1333: Jul 13, 2017 11:31:27 pm
      Just messing with you. Didn't see that he deleted his twitter account though...that's certainly an odd thing to do?

I checked and it's still there, I doubt any club could force a player to delete their own personal account.

Quick Reply