Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 262301 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1955: Aug 08, 2017 11:49:36 pm
      Problem is the fans hate us treating them as a feeder club and the owners have to keep the fans on board hence the stance.

Stuff their fans. When did they get the high and mighty, that's all a club like them can realistically hope to be, a feeder club for the better teams. Not like we have had mountains of joy against them since signing their players, maybe they need to remember who dumped who out of the cup last season for starters.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1956: Aug 08, 2017 11:55:00 pm
      Going to be a few days of this back and forth...would suggest that we will start hearing things out of VVD's camp talking about human resource violation's and defamation of character and a few other nasty things.

His bridge is burned it's going to get even nastier before this finishes.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1957: Aug 08, 2017 11:55:13 pm
      https://twitter.com/DExpress_Sport/status/895044456730292224

To me that's more posturing to influence his move to Chelsea rather than us.
      Don't really rate much Express come out with to be fair.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1958: Aug 09, 2017 12:11:03 am
      Stuff their fans. When did they get the high and mighty, that's all a club like them can realistically hope to be, a feeder club for the better teams.

Sadly, Barca are doing the same thing to is and have this exact same attitude. 

It really doesn't bother me though -- Phil will only be sold IF he goes on strike and refuses to play for LFC (which he won't do) and only for an extortionate amount of money, like 125M - 150M (which Barca won't pay). 

I think he is more likely to stay for another season, then join his pal Neymar in Paris next summer. 
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #1959: Aug 09, 2017 01:14:07 am
      I can understand Southampton. I would do the same to Liverpool if I am them. How many good players did we take from them? Did we give them a bone back, like a guy for cheaper? You can't do business that way, at some point you have to give your opponent the impression that he's equally blessed and Liverpool screwed up here. They lack any smart manager skills which perferctly explains why they got all those scums as owners over the last years.

Actually  is time they give us a discount.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #1960: Aug 09, 2017 01:52:57 am
      Well F**k OFF then you absolute Kunt!!

I'm done with so called supporters like you, f***in glory hunters,  only happy when things are going well

Get this FUCKSTICK we don't want nor need your so called support ,

Now F**k OFF !!!

I love that, glory hunting supporters who are so sick of the way this club is run, when we point out the flaws, the MANY obvious flaws, we either live continuously with these flaws, or we are glory hunters only happy when things are going well.

Here is one question for you genius, when was the last time things went well for us?

So because we don't have the money to spend £250 million on players like Citeh or £200 million on one player like PSG we have become a joke have we, f**k sake what a fickle fan you are. Why don't you travel around the world and ask fans in every country, who idolise the team, how much of a joke we are? Sure we have had some lean years now but the giant is waking up, if you want to support a completely artificial money bags team then f**k off and support Chelsea or Citeh, I'll stick with the greatest team on earth, LFC!!

Where did I say spend ludicrous amounts? I said SPEND MONEY. And fickle fan, this coming from you? dear god, Newkit forum sends their regards you fickle muppet.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1961: Aug 09, 2017 07:39:42 am
      Sadly, Barca are doing the same thing to is and have this exact same attitude

True, but there is one massive difference - Coutinho hasn't kicked up a fuss and made official that he wants out. Probably thinks he can still achieve things whilst with us too, where as VVD knows he has nothing he can achieve at Southampton.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1962: Aug 09, 2017 08:43:03 am
      https://twitter.com/DExpress_Sport/status/895044456730292224

To me that's more posturing to influence his move to Chelsea rather than us.

Yep as noble as it sounds it's not a realistic proposition for many reasons, the main one being (not sure if it was FA or Fifa) that a player on a professional contract must play a certain percentage of games relevant to his squad status on his contract and if this percentage is not met the contract can be declared null & void.

VVD being Captain and a first team squad player, the occasional run out with the under 23's wouldn't meet those requirements and i'm sure if I know about this so will VVD and his agent/management company.

That's before we get in to wages and how his value would be affected by not playing for a good season and a half.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1963: Aug 09, 2017 09:36:03 am
      I love that, glory hunting supporters who are so sick of the way this club is run, when we point out the flaws, the MANY obvious flaws, we either live continuously with these flaws, or we are glory hunters only happy when things are going well.

Here is one question for you genius, when was the last time things went well for us?

That's a fair and very valid point buddy. The tag "Gloryhunter" is never more inappropriately used than when morons (normally Mancs tbf) use it to describe a Liverpool fan.

Worse still when it's used by a Red to describe a Red who simply wants the best for his team and manager. It's weird but very telling in equal measures.

"Weird" in that they do not share that same ambition and "telling" in that it highlights how little thought 'the accuser' puts into the issue. For, if you use their own logic then you can ask them...

"If you do NOT want to have the best manager, with the best players, winning trophies then; why don't YOU F**k off and support Everton?" 😄

Although, to be fair... maybe they are happy with beige mediocrity. 🙄
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2017 10:15:30 am by bad boy bubby »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1964: Aug 09, 2017 09:44:01 am
      Says a lot about southampton that they are willing to let him rot.

Also surely an issue their for the PFA?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1965: Aug 09, 2017 09:55:34 am
      I sense the proverbial dam will break soon on this one. Possibly as soon as the real football starts this weekend.

Ultimately Southampton need to move things or it'll just hang over them and places an impossible burden on a new manager.........especial ly if they struggle.

The question for me is whether or not we're waiting for an invite to the "coming out" party.........in my opinion (and to stretch the analogy) we need to be offering to host it at our gaff, put on one helluva spread and cover all the costs ;)

That's how you get the interesting people to attend.......
      Redangel

• 8,213 posts | 1000 
      Reply #1966: Aug 09, 2017 10:04:05 am
      Says a lot about southampton that they are willing to let him rot.

Also surely an issue their for the PFA?

Surely not just the PFA, they cannot deny him the right to ply his trade. I am sure his agent will have lawyers looking into every aspect of this, if this is going to be their stance.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1967: Aug 09, 2017 10:32:07 am

Where did I say spend ludicrous amounts? I said SPEND MONEY. And fickle fan, this coming from you? dear god, Newkit forum sends their regards you fickle muppet.

Newkit what?? The owners and club have and are trying to spend money so what exactly is your problem here, is it Klopp or the owners?
      I ask again though why do you support a "joke", your words, of a club or is the reality that you don't and that you are just another pathetic wum?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1968: Aug 09, 2017 10:44:08 am
      What if he, or any player, fell out of favour because of, I don't know, ill discipline or poor form: would it be "fair" to drop him or stop him "plying his trade", in the first XI then? 🤔

Think Sakho (or Moreno) if it helps.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1969: Aug 09, 2017 11:08:42 am
      OK so he's said he wants to play for us and us alone. We haven't been charged for tapping him up, and as of yet nobody else has put in a bid for him. Presumably when we met him over Big Macs in Blackpool the issue of wages got a mention, so what else now needs to happen on this one?

They've got him training on his own? Check. He isn't actually playing for them as his "mind isn't right"? Check. They probably want rid although they obviously can't admit it? Check. They've signed a replacement? Check.

I think I've got it. Has VVD taken Pelligrino hostage yet and demanded that they release him for 45 million quid or less? That'll be what we're waiting for then. That or Phillips Coutinho signing for Barcelona for in excess of 100 million quid anyway, it'll be one of the two.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1970: Aug 09, 2017 11:15:53 am
      OK so he's said he wants to play for us and us alone. We haven't been charged for tapping him up, and as of yet nobody else has put in a bid for him. Presumably when we met him over Big Macs in Blackpool the issue of wages got a mention, so what else now needs to happen on this one?

They've got him training on his own? Check. He isn't actually playing for them as his "mind isn't right"? Check. They probably want rid although they obviously can't admit it? Check. They've signed a replacement? Check.

I think I've got it. Has VVD taken Pelligrino hostage yet and demanded that they release him for 45 million quid or less? That'll be what we're waiting for then. That or Phillips Coutinho signing for Barcelona for in excess of 100 million quid anyway, it'll be one of the two.

You missed 3) Mick: -

Southampton realise the inevitable and offer to act as a feeder club for LFC "ad infinitum" and abolish any requirement for transfer fees between the clubs from this point forward.

I reckon we "might" go for that....but not before sweating them a bit first....... :mad:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1971: Aug 09, 2017 11:19:06 am

;D its a fair point mate, there must be discussions going on behind closed doors on this one. I don't believe for one second that Southampton are being so childish that they won't sell to us and we know that we need a new CB and like Virgil. This should be as open and shut a transfer as there has ever been and I hope and kind of expect its announced before the start of the season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1972: Aug 09, 2017 11:54:53 am
      What if he, or any player, fell out of favour because of, I don't know, ill discipline or poor form: would it be "fair" to drop him or stop him "plying his trade", in the first XI then?

The rules are in the FA's or Fifa's rulebook mate, Sakho filled the criteria by going on loan (had he not, don't think it would have applied as he was told he wouldn't feature and to go on loan during the summer window), Moreno probably filled the criteria in cup games, odd cameos.

Can't remember if it was Fifa or FA (although think it was fifa), but I posted a link to their pdf of rules from their own website about it in either Suarez or Sterlings thread when people were saying let them rot.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1973: Aug 09, 2017 12:11:30 pm
      The rules are in the FA's or Fifa's rulebook mate, Sakho filled the criteria by going on loan (had he not, don't think it would have applied as he was told he wouldn't feature and to go on loan during the summer window), Moreno probably filled the criteria in cup games, odd cameos.

Can't remember if it was Fifa or FA (although think it was fifa), but I posted a link to their pdf of rules from their own website about it in either Suarez or Sterlings thread when people were saying let them rot.

Yes its true you simply can't do this plus it would be such bad practice from the club, would land them in all types of sh*t from FA, as well as open to lawsuits from the player.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #1974: Aug 09, 2017 12:23:05 pm
      Also why the f*ck would any other player sign for them if that's how they treat their own captain?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1975: Aug 09, 2017 12:29:03 pm
      Also why the f*ck would any other player sign for them if that's how they treat their own captain?

Certainly no player who view them as a stepping stone which in reality will be any half decent player who is ambitious and hungry for success, ie the kind of player you want to sign.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1976: Aug 09, 2017 12:31:58 pm
      The rules are in the FA's or Fifa's rulebook mate
      I'm asking the question, not trying to be obtuse: if any player fell out of favour, (for whatever reason) and a
      was dropped, from a first XI, could he 'do' that club for not allowing him to ply his trade?

You know the rules and reckon yes. It seems a tad daft but I believe you.  8)

What if they pick him for say 20 matchday squads but don't bring him on?

Either way and not for the first time; it's been one greasy, clusterfuck. Our name must be mud at the moment. Ah well... what about that Western Union?

Go Union... Go Union...  :laugh:
      ruthcity

• 6,916 posts | 1475 
      Reply #1977: Aug 09, 2017 12:34:10 pm
      Yes its true you simply can't do this plus it would be such bad practice from the club, would land them in all types of sh*t from FA, as well as open to lawsuits from the player.

Interesting.

Van Dijk v Southampton FC would make for an interesting lawsuit. Hope the club scores an own goal.

Quick Reply