Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 262607 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2185: Aug 16, 2017 06:06:12 pm
      If they dont sell him it ultimately screws up their sell to potential new signings who see them as a stepping stone, which they will never be more than.. will players want to sign if they wont be able to move again to the next club?

When you are bringing young talented players in (Soton does a good job on this) and your not a big club (and let's face it Soton are not) with the promise they will help develop a career, going against this will surely bite them in the ass over time.

On one hand they are talking to players saying...Look at Clyne, look at Mane...see how they progressed and what we did for them (and you know this is what they are telling prospective players) and then do this with VVD the two just don't add up; agent are going to see this quick also and be telling they're clients not to trust them.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2186: Aug 16, 2017 06:09:57 pm
      If they dont sell him it ultimately screws up their sell to potential new signings who see them as a stepping stone

But only as a stepping stone to us buddy: there's plenty more sharks in the sea.  ;)

Or what if... they buy other 'big names' and show ambition? They'd be able to attract new signings then. Point is; we are in a big, F**k off, glasshouse here Jon.  :-\
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #2187: Aug 16, 2017 06:25:42 pm
      I think Klopp is a great manager but he would come across quite daft if he remains stuck on VVD with no alternatives and we end up buying no centre half. No matter how good you are no team can go on a title winning run with Lovren as a starter.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,914 posts | 4981 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2188: Aug 16, 2017 07:00:28 pm
      Its what I heard, basically if you go via the agent first then its ok to have a quick chat with the player to see if there's any interest before approaching the club. From what I understand Klopp just went direct to Virgil and that's a big no no.

Your asking us to believe that Klopp spoke to Virgil solely on something you heard,
      Truth is only Klopp or indeed Virgil knows what happened, all else is fallacy or media bullshit,
      The question is , why are LFC being singled out when most club's virtually do the same thing,
      Soton are pissed because we LFC keeping returning for their players, tapping up is just a excuse for them to sh*t in our kettle  !!

YNWA
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2189: Aug 16, 2017 07:43:25 pm
      I agree that Klopp should know better than to tap up a player!! FFS stop making excuses for him, he himself apologised for this, so why are you still making excuses for him. Klopp fu**ed up, our manager is not the messiah, in this instance he was a very naughty boy.

The only person making excuses is you for the way the club is being run.

Every other big club can tap players up without being caught.

When you get caught breaking the same rules two, three times the problem is beyond a single person.
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2017 08:37:26 pm by Eddieo »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,139 posts | 1084 
      Reply #2190: Aug 16, 2017 07:55:51 pm
      I think Klopp is a great manager but he would come across quite daft if he remains stuck on VVD with no alternatives and we end up buying no centre half. No matter how good you are no team can go on a title winning run with Lovren as a starter.

I dislike Lovern as much as ANY on this site. But, I do remember when he was talked about as being the tits. He has done nothing but sh*t the bed as a Red, but I do think some of that is Klopps defensive strategy. We play wider than most teams and leave our CBs to exposed (I'm not saying anything we don't know).

What are we going to do if we DO get Virgil and he isn't as stellar as before? It could happen!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2191: Aug 16, 2017 08:43:34 pm
      I dislike Lovern as much as ANY on this site. But, I do remember when he was talked about as being the tits. He has done nothing but sh*t the bed as a Red, but I do think some of that is Klopps defensive strategy. We play wider than most teams and leave our CBs to exposed (I'm not saying anything we don't know).

What are we going to do if we DO get Virgil and he isn't as stellar as before? It could happen!

Lovren does OK when he only has to think about what he does....When Milner is over there he was doing all the thinking for himself and Lovren and made it quite simply for Lovren just to play his game.

You put Moreno over there and now you have 2 players that don't think a whole lot, don't communicate and don't normally play next to each other.

It's a recipe for disaster.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,139 posts | 1084 
      Reply #2192: Aug 16, 2017 09:07:38 pm
      Lovren does OK when he only has to think about what he does....When Milner is over there he was doing all the thinking for himself and Lovren and made it quite simply for Lovren just to play his game.

You put Moreno over there and now you have 2 players that don't think a whole lot, don't communicate and don't normally play next to each other.

It's a recipe for disaster.

You got that right AZ. Watching them two knuckle heads together is enough to make a preacher cuss.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2193: Aug 16, 2017 09:08:46 pm

All Jürgen's tactics really do is let you see the player we have got. Sure you could say it 'exposes him' but doesn't that truly translate to allowing you to see what Lovren does when the sh*t really hits the fan? He panics, he's a bag of nerves and makes terrible decisions which compounds his mistakes.

These are the things that I believe we can learn when our midfielders decide to put in a shift of half-arsed effort. Similarly with Henderson, did he come to life because more was demanded of him in Gini's/Can's absence or did it really just highlight how far from a true 6 Henderson is?

I'd hope on the back of these performances that Jürgen is redoubling his efforts in the transfer market, because in LCB and CM he's targeting the right positions and right players imo, but if you can't get them at least get the players we can move to the bench next season when we maybe get Keita/VvD!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,139 posts | 1084 
      Reply #2194: Aug 16, 2017 09:25:18 pm
      All Jürgen's tactics really do is let you see the player we have got. Sure you could say it 'exposes him' but doesn't that truly translate to allowing you to see what Lovren does when the sh*t really hits the fan? He panics, he's a bag of nerves and makes terrible decisions which compounds his mistakes.

These are the things that I believe we can learn when our midfielders decide to put in a shift of half-arsed effort. Similarly with Henderson, did he come to life because more was demanded of him in Gini's/Can's absence or did it really just highlight how far from a true 6 Henderson is?

I'd hope on the back of these performances that Jürgen is redoubling his efforts in the transfer market, because in LCB and CM he's targeting the right positions and right players imo, but if you can't get them at least get the players we can move to the bench next season when we maybe get Keita/VvD!

Good points Luke. Like I said, Lovern's game is as ugly as a bag full of dicks. But why not try and play a style that doesn't put him on an island as much? A good LB would help Lovern, but we still insist on playing Moreno instead of Milner or Robertson. Some of these decisions are perplexing for sure. I'm not saying I know more than any of these coaches, just wonder what their mind set is on some of these defensive strategies. The wide play only makes Lovern worse. Maybe its time to try and look at revamping how we defend?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #2195: Aug 16, 2017 09:30:49 pm
      Good points Luke. Like I said, Lovern's game is as ugly as a bag full of dicks. But why not try and play a style that doesn't put him on an island as much? A good LB would help Lovern, but we still insist on playing Moreno instead of Milner or Robertson. Some of these decisions are perplexing for sure. I'm not saying I know more than any of these coaches, just wonder what their mind set is on some of these defensive strategies. The wide play only makes Lovern worse. Maybe its time to try and look at revamping how we defend?

It's a good point mate but I don't think it's how Jürgen works.

I recall listening to a podcast that had a German football expert on, can't remember his name, when Jürgen was appointed and he made it clear that Jürgen wasn't a very tactical coach.

I think if you have a Rafa Benitez working with our squad we don't concede as many goals and Lovren looks better.

On the flip side we probably don't score as many.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2196: Aug 16, 2017 09:33:26 pm

I agree. Much like PurpleMonkey I preferred when we played Lucas, the stability he gave to the side was so often underplayed by his detractors but now he's gone I miss him more and more. To me, if we're not getting either of VvD or a better left back then a central midfielder who can offer protection is an absolute must or this season will feel like groundhog day.

As for changing how we defend, to be honest I actually think Jürgen's tactics are spot on, proven by how we beat the better sides and how, on our day we look absolutely untouchable. But if the transfer window were to shut right now it might be worth a rethink because the balance in the side is so off that good tactics can be let down by poor personnel and that's our problem right now imo.

(Edited: Hopefully clearer on last point.)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2197: Aug 16, 2017 09:34:15 pm
      I think if you have a Rafa Benitez working with our squad we don't concede as many goals and Lovren looks better.

Fullback in Klopps system are always going to leave holes...that is partially why there are particular types of CB's that he is interesting in getting as not all would cope (ie...Lovren).

Lovren in the right system would be fine or even with us in the middle of a 3 man backfield...however in the system we play now VVD is needed.

The opposition is always going to target something...they have to if they want to score...they look at Lovren/Moreno  or Trent/Matip and see it easier to target Lovern then Matip.

If you had a TAA/Matip  VVD/Robertson back 4 they will still target one of the sides but would probably find less joy then they currently do.
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2017 09:38:22 pm by AZPatriot »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,914 posts | 4981 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2198: Aug 16, 2017 09:38:46 pm

Mate, I think the likes of Henderson, Gini Milner are at their optimum level when playing well, the trouble is it's not often nor consistent enough,
      Simply put if we are to move on a level and compete with City, Chavs, Munts and those in Europe we need to sign better higher quality players,

By not signing Naby amongst others this window has imo set us back a season, plus we could be losing Coutinho too,

This was 'the' window where additions would have taken us forward and allow us to compete in the two main comps , a league title and a right go in the CL,

We can forget all that now and might have to settle with a top 5/6 and the dreaded europa sh*t.....

.....thanks FSG...great ambition!!    :mad:

YNWA

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,139 posts | 1084 
      Reply #2199: Aug 16, 2017 09:39:40 pm
      It's a good point mate but I don't think it's how Jürgen works.

I recall listening to a podcast that had a German football expert on, can't remember his name, when Jürgen was appointed and he made it clear that Jürgen wasn't a very tactical coach.

Oh yeah, for sure. If you look at his time at Dortmond you will see that too. He's a attacking coach through and through. Like Carragher was saying, VVD help. However, if you think we buy him and expect our D to magically transform than you are mistaken. I just wonder if we narrowed our defense just a little what would happen. We will probably never know. In all honesty if we could get Kieta and keep Phil I don't think it would matter. That attack would just outscore u.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #2200: Aug 16, 2017 09:44:50 pm
      Oh yeah, for sure. If you look at his time at Dortmond you will see that too. He's a attacking coach through and through. Like Carragher was saying, VVD help. However, if you think we buy him and expect our D to magically transform than you are mistaken. I just wonder if we narrowed our defense just a little what would happen. We will probably never know. In all honesty if we could get Kieta and keep Phil I don't think it would matter. That attack would just outscore u.

Agree.

I think with VVD we hope to see less of the silly mistakes that Dejan makes but I agree that our style means we will still concede more goals than most of the top sides.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2201: Aug 16, 2017 10:02:02 pm

Mate, I think the likes of Henderson, Gini Milner are at their optimum level when playing well, the trouble is it's not often nor consistent enough,
      Simply put if we are to move on a level and compete with City, Chavs, Munts and those in Europe we need to sign better higher quality players,

By not signing Naby amongst others this window has imo set us back a season, plus we could be losing Coutinho too,

This was 'the' window where additions would have taken us forward and allow us to compete in the two main comps , a league title and a right go in the CL,

We can forget all that now and might have to settle with a top 5/6 and the dreaded europa sh*t.....

.....thanks FSG...great ambition!!    :mad:

YNWA

Don't think things are as bad as they seem right now mate, the Coutinho issue will be resolved one way or another and there's no way if he's sold we go into the season with the squad as is. It's being exacerbated by losing Lallana which is then putting the focus on, as you say, 3 average players who have fluctuations in form.

As long as when the window close we have 2 decent AMs (Coutinho, or his replacement and Lallana) I think we'll be ok in midfield, just as we were last season. We could definitely improve but I could wait a year for Keita if needs must, but we simply cannot let the window shut with just Matip/Lovren/Klavan/Gomez, that's just asking for trouble and it'll find us.

Today Southampton basically said no to everyone, the betting market reacted quite sharply to that, so I guess we'll see.

My honest opinion right now is that all three players (Keita/Coutinho/VvD) will move in either January or the summer window after but not this window now. Someone said that once every 4 years the club holds the power over the players due to the world cup and I think that probably is the case. No way in hell Coutinho sits in the stands for the season, he'd be lynched.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #2202: Aug 16, 2017 11:18:51 pm
      Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the question at 1:35 in today's BBC interview came across very strangely indeed... I just wish he ended the question slightly differently after saying "the fans have to bite the bullet and not blame the board..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40949969

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2203: Aug 17, 2017 12:59:38 am

I agree. Much like PurpleMonkey I preferred when we played Lucas, the stability he gave to the side was so often underplayed by his detractors but now he's gone I miss him more and more. To me, if we're not getting either of VvD or a better left back then a central midfielder who can offer protection is an absolute must or this season will feel like groundhog day.

As for changing how we defend, to be honest I actually think Jürgen's tactics are spot on, proven by how we beat the better sides and how, on our day we look absolutely untouchable. But if the transfer window were to shut right now it might be worth a rethink because the balance in the side is so off that good tactics can be let down by poor personnel and that's our problem right now imo.

(Edited: Hopefully clearer on last point.)

Good Posts Luke. 
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #2204: Aug 17, 2017 01:29:29 am
      I don't agree a bit about Moreno being the reason for Lovren's stupidities. Between a LB and a CB who would you like to be more mature,calm and a better defender. Infact Moreno can also turn around and say that it's Lovren who makes him look so bad on field. I can never forget Lovren's tackle on Bamford in our last game past season. That could have easily cost us CL place.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,280 posts | 235 
      Reply #2205: Aug 17, 2017 08:05:33 am
      ;D another Liverpool way of transfer...Really well done our scouting team.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2206: Aug 17, 2017 08:07:45 am
      Forget this one it wont happen.

For the craic though id sublit an offer for another player of theirs just to wind them up.

Kopite78
      Reply #2207: Aug 17, 2017 08:43:39 am
      Forget this one it wont happen.

For the craic though id sublit an offer for another player of theirs just to wind them up.

I dont know Bri...
      Know what I'd do to be a bit radical?
      Actually bid for VVD

Not sure if anyone at the club knows you have to do that

Quick Reply