Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

The pretentiously official 2017-2018 squad thread

Read 10072 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: The pretentiously official 2017-2018 squad thread
      Reply #23: May 13, 2017 12:24:27 am
      Ings will def have to go out on loan.

Personally don't see him having a future with us to be honest. He's not the standard we need if we are to be competing. Good to have as a squad player to maybe bring on off the bench, play some cup games and fill in when needed but after missing so much football over the last couple of seasons I doubt he would want to settle for that, he will want to be playing on a regular basis and I just can't see that happening with us. Nothing against him at all and would be happy to have him as a squad player but I don't think he's ever going to be a 15/20 goal a season player for us.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #24: May 13, 2017 02:24:59 am
      Personally don't see him having a future with us to be honest. He's not the standard we need if we are to be competing. Good to have as a squad player to maybe bring on off the bench, play some cup games and fill in when needed but after missing so much football over the last couple of seasons I doubt he would want to settle for that, he will want to be playing on a regular basis and I just can't see that happening with us. Nothing against him at all and would be happy to have him as a squad player but I don't think he's ever going to be a 15/20 goal a season player for us.

i tend to agree.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25: May 15, 2017 09:21:37 am

I wouldn't be to hasty in selling Ings mate, he's ideal for bringing off the bench, he's proven he knows where the goals are and is very adept at making them bulge, he's had a sh*t time of it injury wise but that's just down to luck or lack thereof,

We have hopefully a sh*t load more games next season so he'll get plenty of game time even if it's only cup games, and occasionally league outings, albeit from the bench,

We need a larger squad of players that goes without saying, if we sold or loaned him out we'd have to find a replacement so not much sense in that is there?

I'm not entirely convinced either that Studge will leave either although he'd attract more dollar if I'm honest,

Ings stays for me.

YNWA
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #26: May 15, 2017 09:35:47 am
      In:

Van Dijk
      New LB
      Robertson (backup LB)
      Keita
      Brandt
      Luan
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #27: May 15, 2017 09:43:55 am
      Studge could be difficult to offload, with his injury record. Although still a force when on the pitch.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #28: May 15, 2017 09:53:38 am
      In:
      New Ray Clemence
      New Carra
      New Hyypia
      New Zidane
      New G Bale
      New Stevie G
      New X Alonso
      New John Barnes
      New Robbie Fowler
      New C Ronaldo
      New Rushie

Out:
      Virtually everybody

:lmao:
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #29: May 15, 2017 12:46:37 pm
      Ings will def have to go out on loan.

Would agree on this. May be use the loan deal as a sweetener to bring VVD here. As for the squad, we need 5, may be 6 based on the departures - I'm guessing Center Back, Left Back, Left Winger, Center Mid and a versatile forward.

Option 1:
      Mignolet
      Clyne - van Dijk - Matip - Sessognon
      Keita - Henderson
      Mane - Coutinho - Salah
      Firmino

Option 2:
      Karius
      TAA - Lovren - Klavan - Milner
      Lallana - Can - Wijnaldum
      Origi - Studge - Luan

In the mix - Gomez, Grujic, Ojo, Ejaria, Ben, Wilson
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: May 15, 2017 06:57:27 pm
      Would agree on this. May be use the loan deal as a sweetener to bring VVD here. As for the squad, we need 5, may be 6 based on the departures - I'm guessing Center Back, Left Back, Left Winger, Center Mid and a versatile forward.

Option 1:
      Mignolet
      Clyne - van Dijk - Matip - Sessognon
      Keita - Henderson
      Mane - Coutinho - Salah
      Firmino

Option 2:
      Karius
      TAA - Lovren - Klavan - Milner
      Lallana - Can - Wijnaldum
      Origi - Studge - Luan

In the mix - Gomez, Grujic, Ojo, Ejaria, Ben, Wilson

Something else we will have to watch closely in the preseason is what is Mane like after his rehab. Hopefully he will be as good as before, but I always worry with knee injuries whether someone loses something re quickness and ability to turn on a dime. If he's lost a lot, it's a harsh deal, but we will need to get another top attacking talent who can play the wing.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31: May 19, 2017 03:43:55 pm
      Good piece in JOE from Tony Barrett about Coutinho's role in the side and how we could see more of him at attacking center mid next season, but not exclusively. It mentions Naby Keita's potential role as influencing this heavily as well.

This reminds me that Klopp looks at particular transfers with a plan in mind, rather than just - "he's good, let's buy him."

Artice, if you're interested,is here: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/how-Jürgen-klopp-plans-to-alter-philippe-coutinhos-role-in-liverpools-starting-xi-for-next-season-126094
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32: May 22, 2017 06:57:21 pm
      Perhaps with the season done more of you will be willing to focus now on how the entire squad should sort out for next season...
      Interested in your thoughts on the group.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Jun 03, 2017 02:55:32 pm
      So if Klopp is building a team to compete on four fronts, with an eye toward the depth we need when we have three matches in 7-8 days. I think that is what the has learned we struggle with under his style of play. You need almost two sets of 11. For the coming season it could loook like this (I will leave the first choice, second choice to the rest of you)

GK: Migs, Karius

RB: Clyne, TAA
      RCB: Matip, Lovren
      LCB: VVD or other new signing, Gomez/Klavan
      LB: New Signing, Milner

Holding Mid: Can, Henderson
      Box to Box Mid: Keita or other signing, Wijnaldum
      Attacking Mid: Coutinho, Lallana

Left Forward: Saleh, Origi
      Center Forward: Firminho, Sturridge (new signing?)
      Right Forward: Mane (PLEASE come back as good as you were), Woodburn/Ings

How does that work for you?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: Jul 13, 2017 03:52:49 pm
      Thought I'd bump this up for anyone wishing to talk about the makeup of this season's first team squad.

Solanke is the main addition that wasn't included in our speculation previously.

After last night, we may want to consider Grujic as more of a candidate.

Anyone?
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #35: Jul 16, 2017 09:03:15 am
      So if Klopp is building a team to compete on four fronts, with an eye toward the depth we need when we have three matches in 7-8 days. I think that is what the has learned we struggle with under his style of play. You need almost two sets of 11. For the coming season it could loook like this (I will leave the first choice, second choice to the rest of you)

GK: Migs, Karius

RB: Clyne, TAA
      RCB: Matip, Lovren
      LCB: VVD or other new signing, Gomez/Klavan
      LB: New Signing, Milner

Holding Mid: Can, Henderson
      Box to Box Mid: Keita or other signing, Wijnaldum
      Attacking Mid: Coutinho, Lallana

Left Forward: Saleh, Origi
      Center Forward: Firminho, Sturridge (new signing?)
      Right Forward: Mane (PLEASE come back as good as you were), Woodburn/Ings

How does that work for you?

My 10p worth

Robertson & VVD  with a kissed and made up Sakho back playing  bolsters our defence no end ,TAA knocking on the door pushing our new RB for the jersey with Milly maybe doing a number when required Clyne isnt a fav.I thought of Koulibaly instead Of VVD and he is cheaper quoted at £52 million so thats another option, is VVD `s Premiership experience worth the extra £18 million.??

As for mid, Kieta some player ,and another holding midfielder ,Hendersons got an important season IMO on many levels   

Up front,how rapid are we going to be
       Im delighted Salah is here along with the young lad Solanke both very much with a point to prove to the doubters, there were a couple of guys I thought we were made up for but one daft f**ker went to Wolves the other is Gelson Martins guy plays either wing but also can do a number at right back  I wouldnt mind seeing him at start of the season I`d take him over Brandt purely because of his ability to play RB.add Kramaric and Angel Correa who are this weeks choices as our new striker know nothing about either.
      Cherry on top marquis signing would be Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang , AC and Chelsea are favs ,over to you Jürgen.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36: Jul 16, 2017 02:35:37 pm
      The remnant of fans hanging on to hope about Sakho returning reminds me of the 70s and fans hoping for a Beatles reunion. It countered every bit of info about how the parties themselves felt about such an idea (had no interest) but still, hope lingered.

Mama is gone and will be sold when he's fit enough to pass a medical.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #37: Jul 16, 2017 05:58:47 pm
      The remnant of fans hanging on to hope about Sakho returning reminds me of the 70s and fans hoping for a Beatles reunion. It countered every bit of info about how the parties themselves felt about such an idea (had no interest) but still, hope lingered.

Mama is gone and will be sold when he's fit enough to pass a medical.

People said the same thing about him at PSG....Though a decent player the management and coaching staff wanted him gone for various indiscretions however there was just a cult hero status built around his interactions with PSG supporters that went way beyond his actual contributions on the pitch. Intesting that both PSG and LFC have seen what happens beyond the pitch and behind the scene's and deemed him not worth the hassles while the supporters of both clubs hold him on a pedestal.

Either the management and staff of both clubs are clueless or Mama is quite adept at working on his outside persona and knows how to play it up like no other.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Jul 17, 2017 01:02:03 am
      People said the same thing about him at PSG....Though a decent player the management and coaching staff wanted him gone for various indiscretions however there was just a cult hero status built around his interactions with PSG supporters that went way beyond his actual contributions on the pitch. Intesting that both PSG and LFC have seen what happens beyond the pitch and behind the scene's and deemed him not worth the hassles while the supporters of both clubs hold him on a pedestal.

Either the management and staff of both clubs are clueless or Mama is quite adept at working on his outside persona and knows how to play it up like no other.

Voting for the latter option here. He can be commanding at a times but he dallies on the ball too often and obviously his "free-spirit" can end up being disruptive. I don't see Klopp as a one offense and you're done type. He must have truly worn the boss out.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #39: Jul 19, 2017 10:35:56 am
      Our midfield players are Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho and Grujic since Lucas has left and Stewart almost done deal.

It think we're cover if Lallana and Coutinho will be in the middle area but if not we're in trouble. We need a defensive midfielder or box to box.

I know we're talking about Keita but we need to have other good options.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Jul 19, 2017 02:57:59 pm
      Our midfield players are Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho and Grujic since Lucas has left and Stewart almost done deal.

It think we're cover if Lallana and Coutinho will be in the middle area but if not we're in trouble. We need a defensive midfielder or box to box.

I know we're talking about Keita but we need to have other good options.

Adam and Phil will be attacking mids, pretty certain, but the other mids seem to span anywhere from #6 to #8. Henderson is a 6, but if we signed Keita, wouldn't Can, Keita and Phil be our first-choice, three-main midfield?

If it's not Keita, I'm not convinced we will sign a midfielder. Ovie Ejaria might get some run-outs as well. Kind of surprised he is not on the tour with Ben and Trent.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #41: Jul 26, 2017 02:45:10 pm
      Deffo think that Klopp is so persistent with getting Keita for us to play a 4 2 3 1 which will give us more options for the 3 positions behind the main striker. It does mean that he will dump the 4 3 3 but the later formation would have probably been his 1st choice if we had the players when he first came here. With that said if Coutinho did leave (god forbid he doesnt) but if he did, lallana,Mané,firmino could play there if we needed to. I'm also one of the people who thinks that Firmino won't get 20 goals in a season but for once we do have alot of striker options if they stay fit. Solanke, Origi and ings could all play that lone striker role which I'm afraid can't be said the same for sturridge because he hasn't got the work rate that Klopp demands. So if we don't get Keita I think he'll stick with the 4 3 3 which gives us less options I feel.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #42: Jul 27, 2017 12:12:25 am
      Pedro Chirivella has gone on loan to Willem II
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #43: Jul 27, 2017 12:47:52 am
      Pedro Chirivella has gone on loan to Willem II

Looked decent in pre-season. Interesting that he's been loaned out because by what Jürgen has said in the past he likes to keep the better prospects with the first team to train them up.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #44: Jul 27, 2017 01:00:05 am
      Looked decent in pre-season. Interesting that he's been loaned out because by what Jürgen has said in the past he likes to keep the better prospects with the first team to train them up.

Tbh not long seen it posted on one of those Liverpool pages on FB at the dutch ground in the club's shirt.

Trying to remember, did he go out on loan last season? Agreed about him looking decent in the pre-season games so far, but if you look at the players we've got in midfield at the moment, could be a good idea for him to go out on loan.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #45: Jul 27, 2017 01:09:06 am
      Tbh not long seen it posted on one of those Liverpool pages on FB at the dutch ground in the club's shirt.

Trying to remember, did he go out on loan last season? Agreed about him looking decent in the pre-season games so far, but if you look at the players we've got in midfield at the moment, could be a good idea for him to go out on loan.

Yeah, was at the Go-Ahead Eagles according to:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/297409/History/Pedro-Chirivella

Agree that he needs a loan and that he is definitely behind the current squad but I thought there was a chance Jürgen would keep him with the first team this year after his promising pre-season.

Looks like he's got some talent.

Quick Reply