Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The pretentiously official 2017-2018 squad thread

Read 10012 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: The pretentiously official 2017-2018 squad thread
      Reply #46: Jul 27, 2017 08:04:15 pm
      XI v. XI today was really good to watch...the gaffer really pushes the intensity.

Salah is quick as lighting and Albert spent more time getting nutmegged on his arse then he did running.  :)
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #47: Jul 28, 2017 08:00:36 am
      Looking at our business so far we have no where near addressed what we were lacking last season. In fact if you look at the sales of Lucas and Stewart we have weakneed the group in 2 positions when regards to Lucas. The pursuit of Keita would put him in Wijnaldums position I would imagine. Yes he could play in a DM role but try put Keita as a CB when he's only 5ft and a rizla paper. That's what we've lost as a group now Lucas has gone. Yes it looks admirable that FSG would back our manager with £70 million + for one player it still doesn't address the situation. We are woefully short on quality in defencive positions for us to be pumping £70 million on one midfielder. OK Robertson is a natural left back so that's a plus and we are still sniffing around VVD but buying VVD would only be replacing the outgoing Sakho. I may sound greedy but for us to compete we need 4 quality CB,s 2 quality LB,s and 2 quality RB,s. We've got 1 CB who would get in any of the top 6 sides in Matip that can't be said of Lovren, Klaven and Gomez. Milner performed admirably last season at LB but the clue is he's not a LB. I'm not going to slag off Robertson as he is a natural LB but when you look at city pay over £100 million on their full back positions £10 million is small change for a position that we are in dire need of. I thought Clyne was woefully on times last season and his cover is a 18yr old potencially good full back. I may sound uninspired but for us to spend £70 million on a box to box midfielder who, in my opinion we could do without and spend £10 million on a position we are desperate for is the crime here. We are still expected (if it ever happens) to spend £50 million + on VVD so for me that would be £120 million on 2 positions and that's without the added speculation that Coutinho could go. I think we could spend our transfer money a little wiser IMO. We've bought Salah and yes we needed him but as cover for Mane when we lost him last season and everything went south. So it looks like we'll be playing the both of them in the same team now, where's the cover there. If Phil stays he'll be playing a more deeper role so will he also be asked to play on the wing if Mane or Salah gets an injury? What happened to us looking at Pulisic as cover seen as we're also going to be selling Markovic and sending Ojo and Kent on loan. I think we could come unstuck again next season. We have striker options now and I suppose Studge could play either wing but it's square pegs in round holes again...getting quite worried now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #48: Jul 28, 2017 06:00:46 pm
      Connor Randall has gone on season long loan to Hearts.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #49: Jul 29, 2017 01:57:39 am
      With amount games we play next season we be Lucky fhish 6 in league lf we don't bring in any more player's
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #50: Jul 30, 2017 06:14:44 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFCknowledge/status/891700917891989504

By the sounds of things could be a case of starting the season with either Trent-Arnold or Gomez at right-back.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #51: Jul 30, 2017 07:43:01 pm
      I'd go for Trent personally, he's looked a bit cute bombing down the right a few times pre season.

Agreed. But Gomez is really making a strong claim to be involved. I certainly hope we don't loan him out.

If TAA and Robertson are the starting fullbacks, there are actually three players in the squad with first team experience who can provide cover at both right and left back (Clyne, Milner, Gomez). Gomez can also play center back. That doesn't address the need for better quality at center back in the first XI, but we will need some depth. in the back.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #52: Jul 31, 2017 07:48:13 am
      I am hoping so much that Sturridge can get back to his devastating best. If we can get him in the team along with Mane and Salah, I don't think any defence would be able to keep up with them.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #53: Jul 31, 2017 06:31:30 pm
      But we still leak in lot goals our back line is very poor in cbacks kalven sh*t
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #54: Jul 31, 2017 06:44:03 pm
      Connor Randall has gone on season long loan to Hearts.

WTF , whos his advisors the Chuckle Bros.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #55: Aug 01, 2017 07:19:22 am
      With Solanke on board,  Bobby leading the line , Sturridge fit (?) ,Origi improving and Ings returning from injury  ..... we've a few players there to pick from for the Salah and Mane crosses.

Couts and Adam behind .....................    would you want to defend against any combo of that lot ?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #56: Aug 01, 2017 01:32:42 pm
      With Solanke on board,  Bobby leading the line , Sturridge fit (?) ,Origi improving and Ings returning from injury  ..... we've a few players there to pick from for the Salah and Mane crosses.

Couts and Adam behind .....................    would you want to defend against any combo of that lot ?

For me, this:

A teamsheet to strike fear into the largest of parked busses.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #57: Aug 01, 2017 05:12:09 pm
      For me, this:

Surprised at how many on here don't have Can in the first XI. I think he's one of the first names on the sheet.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #58: Aug 01, 2017 06:11:43 pm
      For me, this:

So no Wijnaldum in the squad at all?

Take Sturridge and Karious out, they'll be on the bench, add Mignolet in goal, Wijnaldum or Can to midfield and that'll be more like our team to start against Watford
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #59: Aug 01, 2017 07:36:09 pm
      So no Wijnaldum in the squad at all?

Take Sturridge and Karious out, they'll be on the bench, add Mignolet in goal, Wijnaldum or Can to midfield and that'll be more like our team to start against Watford

Nah, ignore the subs. I was playing around with it for an unrelated thing before. It was just the first team I was pointing out. Gini would clearly be on the bench for this team but I also believe in squad rotation so there'd be games he'd get in. All I'm trying to demonstrate here is that we can get Sturridge into the same side as Firmino and have what would probably be the best attacking side in the league. Defence shows we still need a lot of work doing on it though. Atacking wise though, we have options and can use mulitiple formations.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #60: Aug 01, 2017 10:13:48 pm
      Nah, ignore the subs. I was playing around with it for an unrelated thing before. It was just the first team I was pointing out. Gini would clearly be on the bench for this team but I also believe in squad rotation so there'd be games he'd get in. All I'm trying to demonstrate here is that we can get Sturridge into the same side as Firmino and have what would probably be the best attacking side in the league. Defence shows we still need a lot of work doing on it though. Atacking wise though, we have options and can use mulitiple formations.

As shown though with tonight I just don't think Sturridge is an absolute starter. Changing my mind already on the goalies as Karius looked very comfortable playing against Bayern.

And agree that we've actually got options to change if squad rotation is needed - just need to keep our players fit!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #61: Aug 01, 2017 10:59:06 pm
      As shown though with tonight I just don't think Sturridge is an absolute starter. Changing my mind already on the goalies as Karius looked very comfortable playing against Bayern.

And agree that we've actually got options to change if squad rotation is needed - just need to keep our players fit!!

No, tend to agree with you on Sturridge. Still don't think Firmino is the answer either though. We need an out-and-out striker who will net 20-25 goals a season. Still, if we substitute Sturridge for someone like that, it shows how we can get them on the pitch along with Firmino. Stick a Kane or Lukaku infront of those three and we're unstoppable going forward.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #62: Aug 01, 2017 11:02:53 pm
      No, tend to agree with you on Sturridge. Still don't think Firmino is the answer either though. We need an out-and-out striker who will net 20-25 goals a season. Still, if we substitute Sturridge for someone like that, it shows how we can get them on the pitch along with Firmino. Stick a Kane or Lukaku infront of those three and we're unstoppable going forward.

What if Bobby is setting up Mane, Saleh and Phil for 20 each, will that work?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #63: Aug 01, 2017 11:12:47 pm
      What if Bobby is setting up Mane, Saleh and Phil for 20 each, will that work?

You're still down 25 goals a season. The entire point is you can get Firmino on the pitch with an out-and-out striker whilst having Mane and Salah as wingers. It's been suggested in the past that it's one or the other. I'm demonstrating that it's not. Firmino only scored 12 goals last season. That's no where near enough for someone at the head of the attack. So add that to Coutinho's 14 goals and Mane's 13 (he'd probably have gotten more if not injured) and Salah's fifteen and we're only getting 39 goals from our front three. Kane got 29 by himself. So like I said, chuck someone with his prowess infront of those three and we're more potent.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #64: Aug 01, 2017 11:14:30 pm

We scored 78 goals last season in the PL which is our second best tally since 1986....if we added a 20-25 goal a season striker who are you taking the goals away from?..you are not proposing that we are going to average 100 plus goals every season are you?

If you take Bobby away then you subtract out his 10 goals (which I believe will be greater this year) So now we are really only adding 15 more goals to the squad with Bobby on the bench.

Moving Coutinho to the mid is not going to take away his goals and adding Salah up top there isn't good for an additional 10 more goals?

Now were talking only talking about adding 5 goals to the squad using what we have now.

I am sorry we did not falter last year because we couldn't score ...we faltered because we shipped out 42 goals where a squad like Spurs only gave away 26 and Chelsea 33.

We faltered last year against low block clubs because with Mane out we had no width, and to be honest I think the gaffer was a bit stubborn with the way he approached those January matches. We have Salah now and on top of that I think the manager learned how to manage those 11 at the back clubs as evidenced by the grind it out matches we went undefeated in at the end of the season.

Same goal output and  shave off 10-12 of those goals conceded and we are just fine.

We need a top CB far more than a 25/year forward so much so it's not even funny.
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017 11:23:06 pm by AZPatriot »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Aug 01, 2017 11:15:02 pm
      You're still down 25 goals a season. The entire point is you can get Firmino on the pitch with an out-and-out striker whilst having Mane and Salah as wingers. It's been suggested in the past that it's one or the other. I'm demonstrating that it's not.

How are you down 25? In all competitions last season we scored 92 goals. Top scorers were Phil 14, Sadio 13, Bobby 12 and Divock 11 (these 4 add up to 50). Other players combined scored 40, with 2 own goals. If Sadio, Phil and Mo each scored 20, you'd be up 10 from our top 4, plus whatever the rest of the team score. If Bobby didn't score a single goal,but was instrumental in the system to create all these goals from the other 3 (and from others), it will be part of a huge season (providing we can defend a little bit  :) ).

I'm not predicting any such stats, but having one of our forwards do more creating than scoring doesn't need to be a problem.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #66: Aug 01, 2017 11:22:09 pm
      How are you down 25? In all competitions last season we scored 92 goals. Top scorers were Phil 14, Sadio 13, Bobby 12 and Divock 11 (these 4 add up to 50). Other players combined scored 40, with 2 own goals. If Sadio, Phil and Mo each scored 20, you'd be up 10 from our top 4, plus whatever the rest of the team score. If Bobby didn't score a single goal,but was instrumental in the system to create all these goals from the other 3 (and from others), it will be part of a huge season (providing we can defend a little bit  :) ).

I'm not predicting any such stats, but having one of our forwards do more creating than scoring doesn't need to be a problem.

Bloody hell. Existing front three plus 25 goal a season out-and-out Striker or existing front three without. Do the math, mate.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #67: Aug 02, 2017 12:06:06 am
      We looked a bit..... heavy, and not in the good way in midfield first half... two big players not complimenting each other... I'd never have Can and Hendo together, both seem too DM style, I'd rather have one of the two alongside a nice quick player like Gigi.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #68: Aug 02, 2017 02:32:27 pm
      Bloody hell. Existing front three plus 25 goal a season out-and-out Striker or existing front three without. Do the math, mate.

Bloody Hell yourself. The numbers i mentioned are higher.

You know the system we play. It's not set up for one guy to score the majority of the goals. Our threat is based in part on being able to hit them so many ways. Bobby can score some, but is also very good at setting up others to score. He fits very well into that system.

Quick Reply